New Last of us footage released..

Give it hell, man, good for you.

I stood in Gamestop today for 20 minutes trying to decide if it made sense to pre-order a PS4 because there's so much good stuff already available and yet to come for the PS3 I already own. And my hair has been on fire to get a 3DS XL. I ultimately reserved a PS4. I can always cancel my reservation and get my Nintendo handheld.

Looking forward to Friday though. Can't wait to take TLoU for a spin. :)

Nice! I pre-ordered a PS4 through Amazon, with lots of time to think it through if I want to cancel or not, hehe.

And as far as The Last Of Us goes, so far, it's fantastic. Naughty Dog put some loving into this game and it shows.

Adam Sessler has turned into a whining douchebag since he left G4.

I lost all respect for the guy after the ridiculous criticism of a fucking trophy in God of War: Ascension. Now this. I wouldn't be surprised if he bitched about the melee kills with the Skyhook in Bioshock Infinite being too violent (but I'm not going to waste 5 minutes watching his review of it to find out).

Used to love the guy, thought he was one of the only honest reviewers left. He's still honest, but now after being fired from G4 it's like he's bitter about everything related to gaming.

"He's a whiner and I no longer enjoy hearing his opinions because I don't agree with him 100% of the time."

I guess you don't like any game reviewer then? Because I have not found a single reviewer that I agree 100% with on everything they say.

damn I want this game to come out on PC...hopefully it will...hope this ends up like Alan Wake or Dark Souls which were never intended for PC and not Red Dead Redemption or the Uncharted series

* and yes I know Alan Wake was originally intended for PC before it became an Xbox exclusive

It will not come to the PC. Sony owns this IP and the studio 100%. They do not port their games to the PC. Same exact thing for the Uncharted series. If it is a Sony exclusive game published by them, it is not coming out anywhere else. They will make PC titles and port them to the Playstation but not vice versa.

Six hours of play I had to redo after they fucked the patch up and the game wasn't saving. They fixed it now but honestly I'm not all that impressed it is good but not a 10 like IGN said it is. But I expected no less from them since they are mostly Sony fanboys.

Sony better get their online and servers straight if they expect to deliver with the next system.

I'm playing this now and it's just OK. Definitely NOT 10/10. I'd say Polygon is spot on with their 7.5. Why have sensitivity for aiming but not for camera? Panning left/right feels like turning a tank turret. Also, why make the default movement walk with holding a button for run? I hardly every want to walk in a game. There is also a LOT of holding forward and walking at the slowest pace possible while your character has a conversation with another character. Naughty Dog can tell a good story but their controls/gaming mechanics blow.

I'm playing this now and it's just OK. Definitely NOT 10/10. I'd say Polygon is spot on with their 7.5. Why have sensitivity for aiming but not for camera? Panning left/right feels like turning a tank turret. Also, why make the default movement walk with holding a button for run? I hardly every want to walk in a game. There is also a LOT of holding forward and walking at the slowest pace possible while your character has a conversation with another character. Naughty Dog can tell a good story but their controls/gaming mechanics blow.

Spot on and I'd agree a 7 to 7.5 out of 10

I'll hold judgement on scores till the end, because apparantly there is some heavy shit that goes on later in the game.

There is a big reason you need to hold down the run button in this game and it isn't default and I am truly surprised you don't understand why. Stealth, you make a ton more noise running around and you run around the corner with a clicker there you turn the situation into a fight instead of choosing how to deal with it. The mechanics are fine as they walk forward and are talking, they are making it more real instead of you just running around while the other characters talk and everyone is chatting like it is nothing. It is to set a pace and mood. If you are just running full speed the entire time the pacing and feel would change a lot. It is story telling 101.

I'm enjoying the game, though there are minor things that I dislike but nothing that would change my opinion of the game so far.

Six hours of play I had to redo after they fucked the patch up and the game wasn't saving. They fixed it now but honestly I'm not all that impressed it is good but not a 10 like IGN said it is. But I expected no less from them since they are mostly Sony fanboys.

Sony better get their online and servers straight if they expect to deliver with the next system.

I lost two hours due to the bug. Not ready to make any kind of judgement call on a game. Honestly, I don't think people should even think about "scores" or how good/bad a game is until they are completely done with it. Whether completely done is beating it or getting to the point where you say "That's all of this game I need to play". Games can change drastically over the course of your time with them, especially heavy story driven titles like this.

I'll hold judgement on scores till the end, because apparantly there is some heavy shit that goes on later in the game.

There is a big reason you need to hold down the run button in this game and it isn't default and I am truly surprised you don't understand why. Stealth, you make a ton more noise running around and you run around the corner with a clicker there you turn the situation into a fight instead of choosing how to deal with it. The mechanics are fine as they walk forward and are talking, they are making it more real instead of you just running around while the other characters talk and everyone is chatting like it is nothing. It is to set a pace and mood. If you are just running full speed the entire time the pacing and feel would change a lot. It is story telling 101.

I'm enjoying the game, though there are minor things that I dislike but nothing that would change my opinion of the game so far.

The default should be run and then hold the trigger to walk. Especially given how slow all movement is in this game. Stealth is a gameplay function. Pressing a button to enable that makes more sense than having it be the default. I have no problem with the walking conversations. Just don't make me hold the thumbstick up during it. That's boring as hell. Have the character walk in step with the AI character.

Anyone notice that there is a focus problem with this game? Things alternate between in focus and out of focus. For example, when my character walks, the back of his head and jacket alternates between blurry and sharp. What the hell?

The default should be run and then hold the trigger to walk. Especially given how slow all movement is in this game. Stealth is a gameplay function. Pressing a button to enable that makes more sense than having it be the default. I have no problem with the walking conversations. Just don't make me hold the thumbstick up during it. That's boring as hell. Have the character walk in step with the AI character.

Then people would bitch about it taking control away from you for too long. This is really the best way to do. You can explore the environment when people are talking and find things if you really want to do something besides just walk.

And no run should NOT be default. Making walk default makes far more sense since the game is primarily stealth focused and not high action, shoot everything all the time.

well, i played this for about 30 mins until my damn bluray drive died on me. again.
the last time it did this was on the launch day of ff13.

Then people would bitch about it taking control away from you for too long. This is really the best way to do. You can explore the environment when people are talking and find things if you really want to do something besides just walk.

And no run should NOT be default. Making walk default makes far more sense since the game is primarily stealth focused and not high action, shoot everything all the time.

The game may be primarily stealth based, but the amount of time you spend actually in stealth/combat is less than the time you spend running around with no enemies around.

The game may be primarily stealth based, but the amount of time you spend actually in stealth/combat is less than the time you spend running around with no enemies around.

Still, it is a survival game, those are not fast paced games. You are suppose to be careful traveling around and not knowing what is around the corner. I spend most of my time crouched traveling, then when I clear an area out I do a few listenings things with R2 as I run around.

I'm about 5 hours into the game. It's at minimum a 8.5/10 imo so far. The storyline is good although a bit predictable. The combat is very diverse, which I think is really good. You don't have to be stealthy, but it will cost you supplies and ammo. You don't have to kill all of the enemies either, but it can make searching the area for supplies more time consuming. Overall I think they made it a good balance. You don't always have to be stealthy, but you probably don't have enough supplies to make shivs or bombs to always be killing all the enemies easily.

I don't know if it's different on a harder difficulty, but I don't like how you can grab enemies from the front and choke them out. I also wish it was more like Hitman where you could drag bodies to hide them from patrols/guards. It doesn't seem to matter so far if a dead body is on the ground. If an enemy has a gun its a bit lame that you don't can't get it or ammo from killing them, but I guess its a game balance thing.

Last edited:
I'm about 5 hours into the game. It's at minimum a 8.5/10 imo so far. The storyline is good although a bit predictable. The combat is very diverse, which I think is really good. You don't have to be stealthy, but it will cost you supplies and ammo. You don't have to kill all of the enemies either, but it can make searching the area for supplies more time consuming. Overall I think they made it a good balance. You don't always have to be stealthy, but you probably don't have enough supplies to make shivs or bombs to always be killing all the enemies easily.

I don't know if it's different on a harder difficulty, but I don't like how you can grab enemies from the front and choke them out. I also wish it was more like Hitman where you could drag bodies to hide them from patrols/guards. It doesn't seem to matter so far if a dead body is on the ground. If an enemy has a gun its a bit lame that you don't can't get it or ammo from killing them, but I guess its a game balance thing.

Actually, leaving a dead body where another human can see it will cause them to go into a more alert mode and look around. I've seen it happen a couple times. I don't think it's the same for the zombies though.

Actually, leaving a dead body where another human can see it will cause them to go into a more alert mode and look around. I've seen it happen a couple times. I don't think it's the same for the zombies though.

You're right, it didn't seem like it mattered in the beginning, but later on enemies did noticed dead people.

One thing that frustrates me is the save system. It only saves what check point you're at not what you've actually done. So if you kill a few enemies, save, and load the game back up the enemies will still be alive. This can cost you a lot of time in bigger fights when you try to take them out stealthy, but mess up.

The first group of baddies that I killed at least one of them dropped ammo. I think maybe it's just random and happens very sparingly?

Yeah drops are a bit on the rare side when you kill someone, but they usually do end up giving you a fair amount when they do (fair amount for this game).

Apparently there's an autosave-bug that can reset your progress significantly? Might want to make a manual save if you're playing (I assume one can).

Apparently there's an autosave-bug that can reset your progress significantly? Might want to make a manual save if you're playing (I assume one can).

According to ND they fixed it yesterday. Anyway, yes manual save often just in case.

Lots of nitpicking there, hardly game breaking stuff. This game has more interesting mechanics than any 3rd person shooter i have played this entire console gen. Hard is genuinely hard and it's very well balanced game.
I don't know if it's different on a harder difficulty, but I don't like how you can grab enemies from the front and choke them out

I'm playing on hard and it only allows you to do this if they turn around and see you it gives you maybe less then a second to still engage a chokehold otherwise your screwed.
I also wish it was more like Hitman where you could drag bodies to hide them from patrols/guards.
Engaging a choke hold usually gives you enough room to drag them to a safe area to be dropped. But you're right it would have been nice to able to drag them.

One thing that frustrates me is the save system. It only saves what check point you're at not what you've actually done.

I haven't had this problem. Checkpoints are EXTREMELY frequent. I have died 48 times in 5 hours of playthrough so i should know.... thats like a death every 6 minutes.

The only real flaw i have found that is sort of immersion breaking is when one of your companions will some times go insane and run right in front of a guy while im in stealth, thankfully it doesn't alert anyone though.

I played for about 4 hours and I am enjoying it. The opening scenes were so well done, very immersive and a great way to start the game.

The game definitely has an "Uncharted" vibe as far as the game structure/gameplay goes, however the AI is a lot more stealth oriented and you can actually RUN from people and lose them and hide, like the Metal Gear games, so stealth actually works better in this then uncharted games.

Also the melee feels so brutal, I love going hand to hand to take down enemies, but man the first time I encountered a clicker (on your own, after the whole tutorial experience) I forgot you can't melee them without a shiv/sneaking up and I got my ass handed to me.

Also I feel they've done a great job at making the infected people, the details to some of them. I mean just hiding behind cover and having one come around near you, if you watch the animations and things it really does look like they tried to make the person act like something is controlling their mind , against their will, the way they move and seem to have this inner conflict going on shows through the animations.

I just finished the game......wow, I mean fucking wow.

The first few hours you are like yeah this is pretty good but I don't see how it got so many crazy 10/10 scores. The more time you play the better and better it gets. The last few hours I was like yeah, I understand how this game got those crazy scores now.

It isn't perfect and has some issues, but I'll be damned if it isn't a freaking great game.

Graphically, for a console game, best looking game this gen for a console. It looks phenomenal at times. The attention to detail is amazing, it drew you into it.

My only negative comments are all little nit pick things that don't detract from the game in any way.

All I can say is, if you own a PS3, you owe it to yourself to play this (assuming you aren't just an FPS/sports type junkie or something as it is slower paced most the time).

I just finished the game......wow, I mean fucking wow.

The first few hours you are like yeah this is pretty good but I don't see how it got so many crazy 10/10 scores. The more time you play the better and better it gets. The last few hours I was like yeah, I understand how this game got those crazy scores now.

It isn't perfect and has some issues, but I'll be damned if it isn't a freaking great game.

Graphically, for a console game, best looking game this gen for a console. It looks phenomenal at times. The attention to detail is amazing, it drew you into it.

My only negative comments are all little nit pick things that don't detract from the game in any way.

All I can say is, if you own a PS3, you owe it to yourself to play this (assuming you aren't just an FPS/sports type junkie or something as it is slower paced most the time).

Did you power through the game on easy mode or something? I've been playing ~ 3 hrs 3 consecutive nights on hard ever since I got it on Tuesday and am only 70% complete.

Did you power through the game on easy mode or something? I've been playing ~ 3 hrs 3 consecutive nights on hard ever since I got it on Tuesday and am only 70% complete.

I played on normal, beat the game in 17 hours and 21 mins.

I played the game yesterday for hours (pretty much from 8pm till I was tired) and played in 2 sessions today.

Honestly, every time I put the controller down to take a break, I couldn't go more than 5 mins without having to find out what was going to happen next and would just start playing again. It sucked me in big time.

Finished the single player last night on Hard in about 16 hours and must say it's one of the best games I've ever played :D

Just started the factions mode, and it's looking good so far. I'm streaming live at twitch.tv/speedy525 if anyone wants to watch!

I finished the game today. Can't stop thinking about what that game took me through. It's quite rare when a video game affects you on a personal level. Fantastic story, game play, sound etc. IMO this is the best game available on the PS3.

I played on normal, beat the game in 17 hours and 21 mins.

I played the game yesterday for hours (pretty much from 8pm till I was tired) and played in 2 sessions today.

Honestly, every time I put the controller down to take a break, I couldn't go more than 5 mins without having to find out what was going to happen next and would just start playing again. It sucked me in big time.

Thanks for letting us know it's so short.

This is going to be rightfully on a lot of people's GOTY shortlists including people that play PC games like myself.

Naughty Dog is reason enough to own Sony hardware. What a coup for them.

This is going to be rightfully on a lot of people's GOTY shortlists including people that play PC games like myself.

Naughty Dog is reason enough to own Sony hardware. What a coup for them.

Pretty much. The instant I popped the game in and thru the intro of the game I was already impressed. I love Naughty Dog, I can't wait for their PS4 debut!

Thanks for letting us know it's so short.

Short? Outside of RPG's you are lucky if most single player games reach 10-12 hours nowadays. Hell even semi RPG's like Mass Effect games are 20 hours. There are few games that have a singleplayer campaign that long or longer nowadays (most that are longer are RPGs or open world).

The quality of it is also way better than the vast majority of games that come out today as well.

Pretty much. The instant I popped the game in and thru the intro of the game I was already impressed. I love Naughty Dog, I can't wait for their PS4 debut!

No kidding, they are going to rock the house I almost wish they had done The Last of Us on the PS4. I mean my god could you imagine?

Playstation 1: Crash Bandicoot
Playstation 2: Jax and Daxter
Playstation 3: Uncharted / The Last of Us
Playstation 4: ????????

Their historical average since Playstation 1 (barring games developed with other companies) is around 90% which is remarkable.

Last edited:
yea i finished it on hard difficulty as well took 16hours or so..
now time to jump on survivor

Back