New Last of us footage released..

I just hope mine still works, it's been gathering dust since Uncharted 3.

careful...this might be another Dead Island...great trailer...great premise...not so great game

Seems to be getting all perfect scores so far.

GTA IV is a 98 metacritic rating. I wonder if The Last of Us will top it?

careful...this might be another Dead Island...great trailer...great premise...not so great game

Dude... this is Naughty Dog... not fucking Techland (who i've never heard of before).

Look at Naughty Dog's track record. I don't like to jump the gun, but I think I can call it now and say GOTY for sure.

I'm really excited about this game. Possibly the most excited I've ever been for a game. I've been telling my friends that I really do believe this might be game of the generation. We shall see...

I think you guys are going a little nuts...

It might be GOTY for PS3 but I doubt it's GOTY overall.

That said, looks really fun and I still want it. :p

I was going to post that I can't wait the hear Gies shit over this game in his usual passive aggressive fashion. (Though he did not do the polygon review, so we'll have to wait for the next podcast I guess)

EDIT: He seems to have been busy with State of Decay for review, so I guess we might be spared after all given E3 and all that jazz coming up. For the time being, at least.

"let's see. do i read, or play last of us."
"i mean there's probably a system update and an install, so i'll be waiting a while anyway. i guess i could read during that."

Last edited:
From the Polygon review:

The Last of Us mines the same post-apocalyptic scenario as dozens of other games, but its approach is starkly its own. It paints a vision of a near-future that is cold, heartless and, in many cases, downright evil. It's not a fun place to be, and likewise, the game isn't really a fun thing to play.

Hmmm...guess it needed more Smurfs.

From the Polygon review:

The Last of Us mines the same post-apocalyptic scenario as dozens of other games, but its approach is starkly its own. It paints a vision of a near-future that is cold, heartless and, in many cases, downright evil. It's not a fun place to be, and likewise, the game isn't really a fun thing to play.

Hmmm...guess it needed more Smurfs.

Ah, Adam Sessler commented the violence in the game will turn away some people. Guess Polygon is one of those kinds of people.

just watched a few reviews. holy shit.

was just gonna redbox it.. now im gonna buy it.

Yeah. Will be buying this. Naughty Dog has yet to disappoint me through Uncharted and Jak & Dexter. lol Looks like this will continue the trend.

I went to read the IGN review and the comments are ..quite something. Instead of just about the game, its console vs console. I will never understand why every AAA release turns into that.

Tom McShea at Gamespot gave it 8/10. There is now chaos in the comments on the review page.

Last edited:
8/10 is a perfectly good score, but I do think it depends on what else you're putting in that 8/10-pile or above whether or not it's a score with integrity.

EDIT: Games gamespot ranks higher than TLoU include "Top Spin 4", "Vanquish", "LEGO: LoTR" and "Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed". Something to consider before you decide to buy this game. Imagine all the fun you could have with that sonic game instead.

Last edited:
It's usually best to look at how a site reviews other games you enjoy and dont enjoy to see if their review standards match up with yours.

With that said, Eurogamer and I always have the same taste in games and I am now VERY excited about this one.

My PS3 died 2 fucking days ago. I may have to go buy another one just to play this. I should be able to find one used pretty cheap.

My PS3 died 2 fucking days ago. I may have to go buy another one just to play this. I should be able to find one used pretty cheap.

Good luck. Gamestop's refurbs aren't that much cheaper than a new one and Craigslist is a crapshoot.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/06/the-last-of-us-review-me-you-and-the-infected/

At this point, though, I feel like that many more words would just be belaboring things. The Last of Us is a triumphant integration of strong storytelling and gameplay. It's a perfectly fitting swan song for the PlayStation 3 as Naughty Dog and Sony begin to turn their focus to a new generation of hardware. It's a game people are going to be talking about for a while, and you're going to want to be a part of the conversation.

The Good:
•The well-written relationship between Joel and Ellie, strengthened by top-notch animation and voice acting
•A gripping, tightly paced narrative with a surprising conclusion
•AI partners that actually come in handy
•Stealth and gun-slinging are both equally valid gameplay options
•Good mix of bits of extreme tension and quiet exploration
•Some of the most beautiful environments I've ever seen in a game
•Wonderful graphic and sound design

The Bad:
•Human AI is inconsistent
•Can be hard to tell where to go next

The Ugly
•Other games still have loading screens!

Verdict: Consider picking up a PS3 if you don't have one.

Got me there. I am just going to get a new one this weekend. No way I am passing this game up.

That sucks your PS3 just died. I just looked at the new PS3s they are selling now and they feel like a kid's toy. I personally still have my 20GB PS3 from launch still going strong. If mine broke now, i'd go on ebay and buy the 60gb launch console.

Ah, Adam Sessler commented the violence in the game will turn away some people.

Adam Sessler has turned into a whining douchebag since he left G4.

I lost all respect for the guy after the ridiculous criticism of a fucking trophy in God of War: Ascension. Now this. I wouldn't be surprised if he bitched about the melee kills with the Skyhook in Bioshock Infinite being too violent (but I'm not going to waste 5 minutes watching his review of it to find out).

Used to love the guy, thought he was one of the only honest reviewers left. He's still honest, but now after being fired from G4 it's like he's bitter about everything related to gaming.

Adam Sessler has turned into a whining douchebag since he left G4.

I lost all respect for the guy after the ridiculous criticism of a fucking trophy in God of War: Ascension. Now this. I wouldn't be surprised if he bitched about the melee kills with the Skyhook in Bioshock Infinite being too violent (but I'm not going to waste 5 minutes watching his review of it to find out).

Used to love the guy, thought he was one of the only honest reviewers left. He's still honest, but now after being fired from G4 it's like he's bitter about everything related to gaming.

Says one thing and he's a whiner? Actually he defends BioShock Infinite and does a pretty good job of it here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hL09nf8t68

And while I didn’t agree with him totally on the God of War thing, I can’t say he’s 100% wrong or doesn’t have a point.

Says one thing and he's a whiner?

Yes, and here's why - what he said was completely in context with every other God of War game before it. When you play a God of War title, you know what you're getting into, because most people who buy those games have played them before. They've all been fairly identical for the most part, in terms of content, violence, etc.

His review complained about something that, sorry, I find no issue with. It was a joke. There's been worse content in previous God of War games; between the miniboss 'kill' scenes and sex QTE's in every single one (including a threesome)...but this is where Sessler draws the line in the sand? Give me a break, Adam. I felt like he was complaining either just to complain, or because he was pressured into it by Rev3Games. I'm not sure which it was, but at this point, I don't really care anymore - I can't take the guy seriously.

He's entitled to his opinion, but (given the content of prior games), no, I don't think he has a point. He could have said "I don't agree with it" and moved on, and I would have been fine with that. But it's like he started a crusade, which then caught fire, and then they patched the game to remove the trophy. Again, give me a break. He acted like he was offended, like every other God of War title was about flowers and kittens, and this one started off by stomping on flowers and ripping kittens apart at the kitten factory. It'd be like saying you were offended (as a turtle owner) because the new Mario game was cruel and inhumane to turtles because you stomp and kick them.

Last edited:
Yes, and here's why - what he said was completely in context with every other God of War game before it. When you play a God of War title, you know what you're getting into, because most people who buy those games have played them before. They've all been fairly identical for the most part, in terms of content, violence, etc.

His review complained about something that, sorry, I find no issue with. It was a joke. There's been worse content in previous God of War games; between the miniboss 'kill' scenes and sex QTE's in every single one (including a threesome)...but this is where Sessler draws the line in the sand? Give me a break, Adam. I felt like he was complaining either just to complain, or because he was pressured into it by Rev3Games. I'm not sure which it was, but at this point, I don't really care anymore - I can't take the guy seriously.

He's entitled to his opinion, but (given the content of prior games), no, I don't think he has a point. He could have said "I don't agree with it" and moved on, and I would have been fine with that. But it's like he started a crusade, which then caught fire, and then they patched the game to remove the trophy. Again, give me a break. He acted like he was offended, like every other God of War title was about flowers and kittens, and this one started off by stomping on flowers and ripping kittens apart at the kitten factory. It'd be like saying you were offended (as a turtle owner) because the new Mario game was cruel and inhumane to turtles because you stomp and kick them.

His problem was with the violent and brutal beating of a female, not sexual like the 3some you mentioned. I've played all the other GoW, even PSP ones. He is only that brutal with a female that one time.

Again, I don’t agree with him 100% but it’s one minor thing out of 100 great things he said before. FYI, he had a similar rant with Metroid: Other M when they turned Samus into a submissive little bitch.

It’s your opinion. I still think he’s one of the few critics that has an actual passion for video games which I like.

His problem was with the violent and brutal beating of a female, not sexual like the 3some you mentioned. I've played all the other GoW, even PSP ones. He is only that brutal with a female that one time.

Again, I don’t agree with him 100% but it’s one minor thing out of 100 great things he said before. FYI, he had a similar rant with Metroid: Other M when they turned Samus into a submissive little bitch.

It’s your opinion. I still think he’s one of the few critics that has an actual passion for video games which I like.

Is the female brutality scene in Last of Us, or are we talking about God of War (which I haven't played).

Thinking about picking up another PS3 just to try this...

Is the female brutality scene in Last of Us, or are we talking about God of War (which I haven't played).

Thinking about picking up another PS3 just to try this...

The newest GoW. I played it and I'll be honest, I wouldn't have given two thoughts about it if it wasn't for Sessler. It's Kratos, its topless women and blood.

Sess just has this vision for gamers that are probably unbelievable but respectable. Just seems odd to hate him for it. He hopes or envisions a future where gamers can get online and not have to worry about being called hateful, homophobic and raciest things. A future where women don’t get asked their bra sizes or to send nude pics. He just wants gaming as a whole to “grow up”.

But hey, people insulted Gene Roddenberry at one time for having people of many cultures on the bridge of the Enterprise.

(Last reply from me on this; I don't want to further derail the thread any further.)

So then I'm confused.
I haven't played the game and I didn't pay much attention to the surrounding element of the scene, but I was under the impression this is a miniboss of sorts who just tried to kill you. Killing her is the point to continue the game. If she kills you, it's 'game over' and your progress is stalled. So, you kill her. So what's the issue then? He curb stomps her or something I think? Ok. Still don't have a problem with this. He's ripped heads off people, gouged their eyes out (IIRC), dismembered them...again I fail to see the issue with this like it's so over the top that it's offensive. Oh but it's the achievement. Poorly worded, bad taste - maybe. But it was a fucking joke.

I still think he’s one of the few critics that has an actual passion for video games which I like.

Agreed, and one of the only ones who isn't biased or obviously paid off to say something that he doesn't mean. I respect him for that.

The newest GoW. I played it and I'll be honest, I wouldn't have given two thoughts about it if it wasn't for Sessler. It's Kratos, its topless women and blood.

Par for the course for God of War. Again, you buy it knowing what the game is like already.

Sess just has this vision for gamers that are probably unbelievable but respectable. Just seems odd to hate him for it. He hopes or envisions a future where gamers can get online and not have to worry about being called hateful, homophobic and raciest things. A future where women don’t get asked their bra sizes or to send nude pics. He just wants gaming as a whole to “grow up”.

I agree with those points and agree with him in that regard, but I don't see what the name of a trophy has to do with "growing up". I just don't get it. He claimed the trophy ruined the game for him. Really? I don't get it. You mean to tell me a 5 second popup killed a 5+ hour game experience for you? I see that and I think to myself that he wasn't really interested in it to begin with.

I'm a fan of God of War, maybe that's the issue I have with it [not being an issue]. I don't consider myself desensitized to the violence or whatnot either. I just don't get what the big deal about it was. I'm not advocating violence against women or poorly worded (possibly low brow) humor....but I'm not boycotting the game or asking for an update/patch because of it either.

OT regarding your earlier comment about him saying the violence in Last of Us might sway some people....again, I just don't get it. Why? It's an M rated game. The story and environment is life or death. I think of it more like "realistic" violence, but it sounds like he's offended by it being too brutal. I assume then if he was about to be mugged or assaulted (potentially killed), he wouldn't be "too brutal", he'd just do enough to keep the attacker at bay. In other words: don't pull out your CCW - grab them in a sleeper hold instead. Same as before - I don't understand his argument; it makes no sense to me.

OT regarding your earlier comment about him saying the violence in Last of Us might sway some people....again, I just don't get it. Why? It's an M rated game. The story and environment is life or death. I think of it more like "realistic" violence, but it sounds like he's offended by it being too brutal. I assume then if he was about to be mugged or assaulted (potentially killed), he wouldn't be "too brutal", he'd just do enough to keep the attacker at bay. In other words: don't pull out your CCW - grab them in a sleeper hold instead. Same as before - I don't understand his argument; it makes no sense to me.

Again I don't 100% agree with the whole Sess and God of War thing. Just find it odd people hate him so much for a single difference of opinion. I guess he took it as objectifying women. All I can say is watch the Sessler Something (on youtube) and judge for yourself. You can’t tell me after watching it you 100% disagree with him. Yet in the end…it’s just a trophy Sess, clam down ;)

He loves Last of Us and he even defended BioShock Infinite gore. He gave both the games a perfect score. He was just offering a warning because the game is very personal in its brutality. I personally know people who couldn’t finish The Walking Dead comic and game just for this reason so I get why he tossed that out there.

Again, watch that review for LoU. The Sess Something on Infinite violence was pretty smart. Instead of just screaming “Games don’t make us killers!” he was pretty rational about just human nature in general. Giving history facts like before Shakespeare plays people would have a dog fight a bear and most of the people came there to see that more than the play. Then the plays themselves had buckets of blood to drench the actors in. Violence is in our nature and we are fascinated by it. So naturally we would play that out in video games.

damn I want this game to come out on PC...hopefully it will...hope this ends up like Alan Wake or Dark Souls which were never intended for PC and not Red Dead Redemption or the Uncharted series

* and yes I know Alan Wake was originally intended for PC before it became an Xbox exclusive

My local hookup says she should have a shipment coming in tomorrow and if so, I will gladly drop the MSRP to play it a little early instead of waiting for deals to pop up.

While you guys occupy yourselves with XB1 vs PS4 talk. I'll enjoy "last gen" gaming while I still can :D

Tbi7xj8l.jpg

While you guys occupy yourselves with XB1 vs PS4 talk. I'll enjoy "last gen" gaming while I still can :D

Tbi7xj8l.jpg

Give it hell, man, good for you.

I stood in Gamestop today for 20 minutes trying to decide if it made sense to pre-order a PS4 because there's so much good stuff already available and yet to come for the PS3 I already own. And my hair has been on fire to get a 3DS XL. I ultimately reserved a PS4. I can always cancel my reservation and get my Nintendo handheld.

Looking forward to Friday though. Can't wait to take TLoU for a spin. :)

Back