New(ish) to AMD, having issues with Freesync

Discussion in 'AMD Flavor' started by Viper87227, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Viper87227

Viper87227 PM Kyle for the TItle You Pick.

The last AMD video card I owned was a 5850, so it's been some time since I've dealt with them. I have been running a G-Sync monitor for as long as they've been a thing, and that's kept me on team green. I recently picked up an ultra wide and decided it wasn't worth the extra cost for G-Sync support, so I went without. I regret that decision. Since my monitor supports Freesync, I decided I'd give AMD another shot and picked up a Vega 64. It's been problematic.

I seem to be stuck with two less than ideal options. Using DisplayPort, 3440x1440 at 100hz, I am having issues with Freesync enabled. I get a brightness flickering issue, which seems to be well documented. I'm having a second, far worse issue that I cannot find a single other source for. I'm getting an odd visual artifact, where the entire screen will flicker with what appears to be a blueish grid. The pattern almost reminds me of like a CPU die. It flashes very quickly, maybe 1/10th of a second, but it happens every 30 seconds or so. If I turn off Freesync, the issue goes away.

If I switch to HDMI, best I can tell, the issue goes away and Freesync works better, but over HDMI i'm limited to 60hz, which is also not ideal. I assume this is due to HDMI not being capable of 100hz at 3440x1440? If so, that makes getting DisplayPort working important.

Has anyone experienced, or heard of, the issue I'm having above? I don't know whether it's monitor, cable, or GPU related but as I don't own another AMD GPU, another Freesync monitor, or another DisplayPort cable, my options to troubleshoot are basically non-existent.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
  2. Imhotep

Imhotep Gawd

I run a Vega with a freesync monitor since last October with pretty much every driver since. No issues at all. Have you tried looking up the monitors firmware. What is the brand of the monitor ? Did the display port cable come with the monitor >?

3. noko

noko 2[H]4U

I had flicker on my 4K FreeSync monitor and the issue was the cheap cable that came with it. Bought a good cable and the problem went away now going on 2 years.

4. Viper87227

It's a Monoprice Ultrawide... came with an HDMI cable. I believe the DP cable I'm using came from a ROG monitor. I'll pick up another one just in case that's the issue.

5. LigTasm

LigTasm [H]ardness Supreme

I would try a better cable as others have said, but when is this artifact happening? I have had a few games that absolutely did not want to work well with freesync and I would get similar artifacts. Does it happen all the time or only with a specific game?

6. Viper87227

All games. Doesnt happen on the desktop but as soon as I start up a game, the issue starts.

7. d8lock

d8lock Gawd

Is the flicker issue only in game, or does it do that when you're looking at the desktop too? I have a monoprice4k freesync with vega 64, and I have seen this flash you're talking about, but it almost completely went away when I set the refresh rate to 59hz. Not really a solution in your case, though.

8. Viper87227

Only happens in game, I haven't noticed it at all on the desktop.

9. d8lock

d8lock Gawd

Go into the amd settings->display. Is it reporting it as an 8bit or 10 bit panel? Also, what is the current output mode set to?

10. Viper87227

8-bit

11. d8lock

d8lock Gawd

Isn't it a 10 bit panel? Maybe try setting the refresh rate to 99hz, or just under 100. It's probably the firmware on the monitor though. Mine needs to be sent in for a firmware update (can't be done by user) that causes my hdr not to work over dp.

12. Viper87227

Monoprice doesn't actually say what the panel is, but many sources claim its the same panel as the Massdrop Vast, which is an 8-bit panel.

13. d8lock

d8lock Gawd

Ah. Did lowering the refresh rate help any? If not, you'll probably need to send it in. I just contacted monoprice to see if they can cross ship a replacement for mine. Hopefully they do that.

14. Viper87227

I didn't try yet. New cable is coming today and I'll play around with it more tonight and go from there.

15. Archaea

Archaea [H]ardForum Junkie

16. Viper87227

Monoprice's 35" Ultrawide.

FWIW I tried another HDMI cable and nw 100hz over HDMI is working, but still getting the same issue with Freesync. Leaves me less hopeful that the DP cable coming today will do anything.

17. Archaea

Archaea [H]ardForum Junkie

Maybe file a complaint RMA with monoprice. That is not a freesync characteristic. I had three HP Omen 32” monitors and freesync worked probably better than gsync IMO (when freesync actually worked like on my Fury X cards.) My Vega cards at launch and for three months after freesync never were consistent so I jumped ship to gsync. But gsync has its own issues. The biggest being that they don’t have a good, native driver way to control the upper FPS limit and gsync hitches when FPS goes above gsync range, while freesync does not.

https://hardforum.com/threads/my-experience-with-freesync-vs-g-sync.1952358/

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  18. Viper87227

I played around a bit this morning... over HDMI I can only set 100hz or 75hz. Will try DP after work, was hoping 99hz would be an option. At 75hz, Freesync appears to be working, and doesn't cause the issue, but I get very bad brightness flickering on the desktop. At 100hz, desktop is fine but Freesync issues come back in game. If the DP cable coming today doesn't do anything, I'll talk to Monoprice and see what they say.

19. NKD

NKD [H]ardness Supreme

I am assuming its your monitor. may be its overclocked out of the box and running out of spec. I strongly suspect that is probably the case. If it works fine at 75hz.

20. Viper87227

After playing more, it's not. It isn't as frequent but it does still happen all the way down to 60hz, and the new DP cable didn't change anything either.

I opened a ticket with Monoprice, we'll see what they say.