New HTPC Build - Software advice please?

Of course. I have to defend myself and my hard work.

I would be interested in giving you access to my guides. You can then give Hard Forum and unbiased review of what you think of the guides.

Just PM me your desired user name, email address and password you want to be associated with your user name at the guides and I will set you up asap.

Free advertising for something you charge for? Can't even offer the guya McDonalds coupon for his trouble?

I can understand the idea of paying for guides, ever hear of "for Dummies" books, people buy them all the time. For people who dont want to look through the web it can be great, but most people who regular forums about this kind of stuff are willing to test their Google fu instead, or just ask around on forums.

Not that i would pay for guides, dont even have enough money to buy a HTPC let along HOW-TOs, i also like using google to its fullest, but for some it may work out to be better to have a guide, for the same need they buy books.

I can understand the idea of paying for guides, ever hear of "for Dummies" books, people buy them all the time. For people who dont want to look through the web it can be great, but most people who regular forums about this kind of stuff are willing to test their Google fu instead, or just ask around on forums.

Not that i would pay for guides, dont even have enough money to buy a HTPC let along HOW-TOs, i also like using google to its fullest, but for some it may work out to be better to have a guide, for the same need they buy books.

Again, only a small fraction of the content in my guides are even "googleable" (is that a word)? And that assumes you know enough about HTPC to know what to google in the first place which most people --- especially those who are new to HTPC --- don't.

I have created all of them step by painstaking step with illustrations/pictures of each and every step along the way.

The offer still stands if a few people from this forum want to try them for free and report back. I stand behind what I do.

Here are a few of the most recent comments from people who used my guides to setup their HTPCs...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=21190745#post21190745
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=21192043#post21192043
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=21205713#post21205713
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=21206430#post21206430
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=21207153#post21207153

TBH, I can see the value in this guide for something like $20 bucks.

Maybe it's not for me. Since I think that re-searching/reading forums in the wee hours of the night to figure out how to do something is fun... Heck, after reading this topic, I am even interested in this manual.

Now take someone as my co-worker John. He wants to put together his HTPC but does not want to spend hours researching the stuff. I can see him paying $20 for someone to do the research for him and have it all in one place.

If I didn't already build my HTPC I would take assassin on his offer. I may do so in the future since I want to get my dvr running on it eventually.

TBH, I can see the value in this guide for something like $20 bucks.

Maybe it's not for me. Since I think that re-searching/reading forums in the wee hours of the night to figure out how to do something is fun... Heck, after reading this topic, I am even interested in this manual.

Now take someone as my co-worker John. He wants to put together his HTPC but does not want to spend hours researching the stuff. I can see him paying $20 for someone to do the research for him and have it all in one place.

If I didn't already build my HTPC I would take assassin on his offer. I may do so in the future since I want to get my dvr running on it eventually.

The offer still stands. I will give out 1 more free access to the guides as long as you report back here on what you think about the guides.

This is mainly because I truly found the "nickel and diming" comment completely offensive. I think the amount of material that I offer for a paltry sum is generous on my behalf. I am trying to bring HTPC to the masses however possible and for those aren't familiar with what I and my team are all about should really research me a little bit before posting offensive comments. I have spent hundreds of hours on the guides and many more than that with R&D on the various options out there.

I wish there was a group of guides like this when I got into HTPC a few years ago. I would have paid much more than $20.

Try googling me for a change. See what you come up with...

The offer still stands. I will give out 1 more free access to the guides as long as you report back here on what you think about the guides.

This is mainly because I truly found the "nickel and diming" comment completely offensive. I think the amount of material that I offer for a paltry sum is generous on my behalf. I am trying to bring HTPC to the masses however possible and for those aren't familiar with what I and my team are all about should really research me a little bit before posting offensive comments. I have spent hundreds of hours on the guides and many more than that with R&D on the various options out there.

I wish there was a group of guides like this when I got into HTPC a few years ago. I would have paid much more than $20.

Try googling me for a change. See what you come up with...

I think you've made your point. However, remember where you are. I don't think there's anyone here who has purchased an OEM machine within the last 10 years. I surely haven't. Every computer I've built has been by my own hand.

The nickel and diming comment is definitely too far. Your guides have a place for those people who are less tech savvy and who may not have built HTPC's before. There is value in that.

However here, not so much. That's not because your knowledge isn't commendable nor valuable. It is. Just not as much as for people who build machines damn near for a living, which isn't too far from reality in my case.

The point being is what you do has value for probably the majority of people wanting to build their own HTPC. However, understand the product you offer isn't necessarily valuable for 100% of the population. No one can accomplish that, not even Microsoft.

I think you've made your point. However, remember where you are. I don't think there's anyone here who has purchased an OEM machine within the last 10 years. I surely haven't. Every computer I've built has been by my own hand.

The nickel and diming comment is definitely too far. Your guides have a place for those people who are less tech savvy and who may not have built HTPC's before. There is value in that.

However here, not so much. That's not because your knowledge isn't commendable nor valuable. It is. Just not as much as for people who build machines damn near for a living, which isn't too far from reality in my case.

The point being is what you do has value for probably the majority of people wanting to build their own HTPC. However, understand the product you offer isn't necessarily valuable for 100% of the population. No one can accomplish that, not even Microsoft.

I appreciate your opinion. On the hardware side of things I mostly agree. The software side though can be a different beast.

Someone used my guides and recommended them to someone else earlier in this thread. Obviously someone from this forum found them useful. So, too, may the OP who started this thread looking for software advice.

So I think that even here --- just like at AVS and other forums --- there are *some* people that need my guides.

My goal is to bring HTPC to everyone however possible. We have a store where I sell HTPCs if you don't want or know how to build your own. Don't want to buy one from me? That's fine. I have a guide over at AVS where I show you the parts that I recommend if you want to build one yourself. Don't want to build one yourself? That's fine too. Buy a Dell/HP/etc and I will even show you how I set them up with the guides. I am very transparent in this mission. This is not my full time job. Its a hobby and a passion. I really do want the world to get into HTPC like I have.

They are the best gadget ever invented when setup correctly.

Edit: Just to be clear we are talking about my paid *software* guides (which compose 95% of the time it takes to build and setup a HTPC). My hardware guides are, and always will be, completely free.

Edit2: I have given out three guides. Thanks for those that PM'd me during the offer.

Last edited:
From my experience, the technical knowledge of the average [H] user is quite a bit more than the average avsforum user. Which is as expected since Avs is much more of a forum for users, and this place is for geeks mostly. Which doesn't mean that the guide won't be useful to everyone - god knows I've spent plenty of time searching for solutions, reading forum threads, experimenting etc. The difference is we find these things fulfilling and its part of the appeal, whereas for many people its impossible or a pain to do.

From my experience, the technical knowledge of the average [H] user is quite a bit more than the average avsforum user. Which is as expected since Avs is much more of a forum for users, and this place is for geeks mostly. Which doesn't mean that the guide won't be useful to everyone - god knows I've spent plenty of time searching for solutions, reading forum threads, experimenting etc. The difference is we find these things fulfilling and its part of the appeal, whereas for many people its impossible or a pain to do.

Understood.

But again, there is one person in this very thread who already used my guides and the OP that could benefit. Others lurking too I would imagine. And this is just this one thread in just this one week.

The important thing is to get those people into HTPC however possible. If you don't need the guides then don't use them. No one is making you.

So after reading through the guide last night I thing I was dead on with my estimate.

It some really good information and all in one place. The screenshots are nice and very helpful and there is a ton of them. I will probably use this to build a htpc for my friend.

I also tend to agree with someone above that said that hard is a place for techies and most users here are not the target audience of that guide. Still I see real value in this guide and extreme time savings.

Assassin what benefit do you see in using WMC over xbmc?

So after reading through the guide last night I thing I was dead on with my estimate.

It some really good information and all in one place. The screenshots are nice and very helpful and there is a ton of them. I will probably use this to build a htpc for my friend.

I also tend to agree with someone above that said that hard is a place for techies and most users here are not the target audience of that guide. Still I see real value in this guide and extreme time savings.

I earlier recommended Assassin's work in this thread as another source of KNOWLEDGE in setting up a HTPC. I payed for his information and have NO regrets.
I built my first i5 750 HTPC back in Feb and used XMBC quite a lot with it but I was not very happy with all the damn hunting of information for XMBC and piece-mealing it into my system. Yes, it's pretty and actually works ok but after using Assassin's guide on my new i3 2125, SSD build, it all just works and I was able to install all my software and do the setup in one afternoon. I may be more computer savy than the average HTPC customer but anything that helps me save time and have a smooth running system is A OK in my book. :D

Thanks again Mr Assassin!!

I earlier recommended Assassin's work in this thread as another source of KNOWLEDGE in setting up a HTPC. I payed for his information and have NO regrets.
I built my first i5 750 HTPC back in Feb and used XMBC quite a lot with it but I was not very happy with all the damn hunting of information for XMBC and piece-mealing it into my system. Yes, it's pretty and actually works ok but after using Assassin's guide on my new i3 2125, SSD build, it all just works and I was able to install all my software and do the setup in one afternoon. I may be more computer savy than the average HTPC customer but anything that helps me save time and have a smooth running system is A OK in my book. :D

Thanks again Mr Assassin!!

No problem. Glad I could help.

Both obviously work for HTPC. Having used both I prefer WMC for the following reasons...

First WMC+MB bitstreams HD Audio which is very important for me. I want to be able to fully utilize my HTPC and AV Receiver.

Second, WMC has tuner support for live TV. This is huge for many people - especially those that want to replace cable.

Third, I think now MB is just a smooth, responsive and elegant as xbmc. There was a critical update to MB about a month ago called "Hydra" which was basically a massive overhaul of MB's engine. To me WMC and MB have the highest WAF (wife approval factor) which reigns supreme in my household. My wife uses our HTPC literally every day as she is a stay at home mom with 2 little kids that always want to watch their movies. She has never called me that it wasn't working or was having problems. So in a way she is my tester without really knowing it.

I have some pretty different ways that I use WMC+MB and other software that I outline in my guides. As I have stated previously it took me months of tinkering, experimenting and tweaking to come up with this "recipe" of software parts that I use. It just works as you can see from just a few posts above and dozens of testimonials over at my blog and on AVS.

Back on topic: I'm still having issues with my IR remote not responding after either powering off or sleeping. Anyone have any ideas on how to solve?

My solution for now is to have the IR receiver/blaster plugged into the front USB for easy access unplug/plug.

Back on topic: I'm still having issues with my IR remote not responding after either powering off or sleeping. Anyone have any ideas on how to solve?

My solution for now is to have the IR receiver/blaster plugged into the front USB for easy access unplug/plug.

The easiest solution is to not let your HTPC sleep. My i3 2100 uses about 35 watts at peak. I just leave it on all the time which cuts down on these problems. The energy savings in dollars is negligible.

The easiest solution is to not let your HTPC sleep. My i3 2100 uses about 35 watts at peak. I just leave it on all the time which cuts down on these problems. The energy savings in dollars is negligible.

Hey assassinhtpc. I have several HTPC's (with another HTPC build in the upcoming months). I've read about 1/2 of the information on your site. I have probably 3 - 4 more hours before I finish reading everything. I will say this.. WOW, it is incredibly detailed and informative. Some of the stuff if basic and many of the users already know how to do the things listed in your guides. However, there is a TON of things that I've read in your guides that I had no clue about. I have (3) computers that I consider to be HTPC's. The computer that I built my wife is very low power (i3 2100, Asrock mITX motherboard, bluray drive, Nvidia GT430, 55" 1080p LCD, Panasonic Home Theater Surround Sound system)and it is the "lowest tiered" HTPC in my arsenal. The biggest one is my personal one that I use everyday (i7 2600k one in my signature). Although I already purchased the Arcsoft TMT 5 platium software long ago, I am VERY pleased with what I've read so far.

I am glad that you registered on [H]ard|Forum. Some of us aren't ready to totally give up a HUGE and POWERFUL computer but at the same time, we want the finesse of what a well conceived HTPC can do for our daily lives. I look forward to reading the remaining portions of your information on your website!

Hey assassinhtpc. I have several HTPC's (with another HTPC build in the upcoming months). I've read about 1/2 of the information on your site. I have probably 3 - 4 more hours before I finish reading everything. I will say this.. WOW, it is incredibly detailed and informative. Some of the stuff if basic and many of the users already know how to do the things listed in your guides. However, there is a TON of things that I've read in your guides that I had no clue about. I have (3) computers that I consider to be HTPC's. The computer that I built my wife is very low power (i3 2100, Asrock mITX motherboard, bluray drive, Nvidia GT430, 55" 1080p LCD, Panasonic Home Theater Surround Sound system)and it is the "lowest tiered" HTPC in my arsenal. The biggest one is my personal one that I use everyday (i7 2600k one in my signature). Although I already purchased the Arcsoft TMT 5 platium software long ago, I am VERY pleased with what I've read so far.

I am glad that you registered on [H]ard|Forum. Some of us aren't ready to totally give up a HUGE and POWERFUL computer but at the same time, we want the finesse of what a well conceived HTPC can do for our daily lives. I look forward to reading the remaining portions of your information on your website!

Appreciate the feedback. I look forward to your final thoughts.

Back