New HTPC Build - Software advice please?

CMadki4

Supreme [H]ardness
Hi all! I have done a sort of half-hearted HTPC before using my old AMD X3 and HVR tuner. But it has since been dismantled. So, I'm building up a new one, purpose built for home theater, rather than just thrown together. As far as I can tell, I've got all the hardware. Maybe even more than I need.

EDIT: To reflect my actual setup: Here's my hardware:
Case - Antec ISK-300-65
Mobo/CPU/GPU - ASRock E350M1/USB3
Memory - 4GB (2x2) Kingston HyperX
Storage - 320GB WB Scorpio Blue + 1TB Seagate External via USB3.0
Optical - Samsung SN-S083F/BEBE slim DVDRW
Tuner - HVR-2250
OS - Win7 64bit
IMAG0291-1.jpg

I am on Comast, net and TV, but the TV may be axed soon because of jacked up pricing. I hate how companies give new customers these great combo prices, but hose long time faithful customers like myself by hiking pricing every year. Oh well, no biggie.

My goal with this HTPC is to be SUPER EASY to use. My wife and I are expecting, so the last thing I want her to be dealing with is calling me asking how to watch a movie or a show. So let me clearly list my goals/objectives with this build for you:
- easy to use; simple
- reliable
- Hulu
- Youtube
- Pandora
- Google
- DVDs storage
- iTunes

Save for some suggestions from you guys, I'd say my hardware is pretty much set. I've already got it all, but I do have other things laying around I could use (1TB hdds, cases, psu, etc.) if need be. So my questions really revolve around SOFTWARE. And I'll stick with the listing format and make it nice a clear what I'm asking. Here we go!
1. Any significant reason not to use XMBC?
2. If using XMBC is it simpler to use Ubuntu, Win7, or does it matter?
3. The HDHomerun is new in the box. Is it worth opening it? Keep in mind, I may be getting rid of cable tv. My antenna receives about 25 stations. Only 10 would I actually watch.
4. Is it worth using my 128GB M4 for the OS or would I be wasting a perfectly good SSD?
5. I have an external USB3.0 1TB drive. Would this be faster and/or safer to store my media than the 320GB Scorpio Blue?
6. Is there software for XMBC that would allow me to use an iPod touch as a remote? I also have iPad (1st) and HTC DInc2.
7. Is there anyway to use my cheap little Logitech Harmony 300i to control this system?

I hope I didn't slam you all with too much information or questions!! If I left any critical detail out, just let me know. Again, the hardware side of this build is pretty much in the bag. Software is the big IF now. And I would greatly appreciate the collective wisdom of those w[H]o have come before me in the HTPC realm. Okay, awesome. Thanks! Peace off!

Last edited:
Not really, but I'm not all that familiar with it. I personally use MediaBrowser. They both pretty much serve the same purpose, and each has their following. It's basically like a PC vs Mac or AMD vs Intel thing. Install each of them, poke around, and pick which one you like best. I've heard MB is more user friendly, and I can say I haven't had a problem with it, but then again, I haven't used XBMC. It's pretty much undisputed that XBMC takes a bit longer to setup if you're not familiar with it.

If you want it to be simple and understandable for your wife, go with Win7 unless she knows her way around ubuntu.

3. The HDHomerun is new in the box. Is it worth opening it? Keep in mind, I may be getting rid of cable tv. My antenna receives about 25 stations. Only 10 would I actually watch.
Someone else can answer this. I don't have/use a tuner.

4. Is it worth using my 128GB M4 for the OS or would I be wasting a perfectly good SSD?
I recommend using a SSD, but 128GB is way overkill. I use a 64GB M4 in my setup. It contains the OS + apps, and the media browser image cache files. The larger your library gets over time, the more you'll notice the load times between a SSD and a HDD. Also, they're quieter if you're concerned about noise.

5. I have an external USB3.0 1TB drive. Would this be faster and/or safer to store my media than the 320GB Scorpio Blue?
Faster, possibly. Safer, not necessarily, especially if the external gets moved around a lot. About as safe as an external can be. I'd just put stuff on the Scorpio until you're out of space, then use the external.

6. Is there software for XMBC that would allow me to use an iPod touch as a remote? I also have iPad (1st) and HTC DInc2.
Probably, but this will have to be answered by someone that uses XBMC...and Apple products =)

7. Is there anyway to use my cheap little Logitech Harmony 300i to control this system?
Yes, but you'll need an IR dongle for your HTPC. I use this remote. You might be able to find them cheaper, but I can vouch for that one. Any combo will do, you're just needing the dongle out of it. I do not believe you can buy them separately.

MS iR remote makes it easy, my wife has been using our W7/Vista based HTPC for almost 4 years now and loves it.

use a reliable power supply brand and have it restart itself every night around 3am or so.

I have not had to configure or do anything to my HTPC in over a year.

proper cooling and cleaning and routine restarts it will keep working for years.

netflix and mymovies + cable card tuner makes W7 great.... Hulu is a little harder.... there is an app that will close WMC and open Hulu.... but it is clunky.

a remote will make it easier than a keyboard..... but i have a little lenovo keyboard trackpad that we use for network websites and maintenance.

@Xonim - thanks for your reply! Yeah, the SSD is a bit overkill, but it's the one I already had, BNIB. I figure I might as well use it rather than buy another smaller one. And thanks for the heads up on the remote. I looked at that exact one, but alas, I didn't not buy. I probably will now.

@Adidas - Yeah, I used WMC before with Hulu. Odd how it has to close to switch from one to another. Wish that wasn't the case. Thanks!

Linux = no blu ray or Netflix

So if you have plans to use either of those things I would not use Linux. I ran Ubuntu 9.10 on my htpc for a few months. I liked it but the lack of blu ray and Netflix brought me back to win 7.

I think XBMC is simpler to use. You can always use the Windows version if there are particular plugins that exist only to Windows. In terms of ease of setup (especially setup) Win 7 took far longer for me.

The downside to XBMC is BluRay disc support. However, since I back up all of my BluRays anyway it's just not that big of a deal but to some it might be.

There is also an XBMC specific remote control.

The HDHomeRun would be of no use with XBMC as it has no facility to capture/record TV.

There is also an XBMC specific remote control.

The HDHomeRun would be of no use with XBMC as it has no facility to capture/record TV.
Ah, really no recording in XMBC? Dang.... Oh well.

Well, I ordered the previously mentioned Rosewill remote, mainly for the IR dongle.

When you use an iPod or Anroid as a remote, how is it actually transmitting? Bluetooth, wifi, other?

XBMC cant do recording but I think the plan is to use plugins to interface with other software that does.
I've not tried any Windows based plugins if there are any as I use Linux. I didn't like the MythTV plugins so I have my MythTV server transcode things and move them to where the rest of my media is for XBMC to find.

I used the Android XBMC remotes over wifi. The play/pause functions didn't work but it allows you to browse media to select files (lets me put a movie on for visitors without leaving the room). I guess the 'Now playing' feature would work as a form of parental control too.

Ah, really no recording in XMBC? Dang.... Oh well.

Well, I ordered the previously mentioned Rosewill remote, mainly for the IR dongle.

When you use an iPod or Anroid as a remote, how is it actually transmitting? Bluetooth, wifi, other?

Since you have that e350 it's Windows for you in terms of ease of use. Otherwise you can have recording in XBMC through the MythTV plugin.

Since you have that e350 it's Windows for you in terms of ease of use. Otherwise you can have recording in XBMC through the MythTV plugin.
Roger that. Win7 it is.

Also, I'm messing with XMBC right on my sig rig. The plug in for Cartoon Network, Food Network, etc. are all really low res. Is all free streaming video so terrible looking?

So XMBC and Hulu no longer play nicely together? I can all the way up to where I select and episode, but nothing happens. Just sits there. Grrr.... I can already see this whole HTPC thing is going to be very frustrating.

i second the media browser for media center....it is awesome....media center with some othe plugins will do everything you need also

Roger that. Win7 it is.

Also, I'm messing with XMBC right on my sig rig. The plug in for Cartoon Network, Food Network, etc. are all really low res. Is all free streaming video so terrible looking?

It depends who is serving it. The Amazon Prime plugin is pretty good in terms of quality of stream. There is a Netflix plugin as well. Since Windows seems to be what will work best for you MC will probably serve you best.

Overall I don't mind getting a little dirty which would be what I would have to do with your particular setup. Otherwise I'm sorry XBMC blows MC + MB out of the water. I tried it a couple of weeks ago and by the time you get all of the codecs, NAS maps, and every other little thing added in you would otherwise end up with a XBMC setup that would be infinitely more powerful and cost effective. But that's just me. For you Win7 is the way to go.

So XMBC and Hulu no longer play nicely together? I can all the way up to where I select and episode, but nothing happens. Just sits there. Grrr.... I can already see this whole HTPC thing is going to be very frustrating.

The Hulu problem is a result of the studios preventing Hulu from creating something that's HTPC friendly. It's an on going struggle.

How about a working Pandora plug-in for XMBC? So far, I'm starting to like XMBC. Just have to get used to it and tweak the GUI to our liking.

I tried XMBC live first....it is nice...but I perfer to stick with Win7 on all my PCs...I also tried mediabrowser...and stuck with it for a while...but I never got quite comfortable with it....Now I use MyMovies and like it the best....so I have it on all the machines were I want to stream movies too. I have about 350 movies online and several TV series...and i use an iogear wireless keyboard and a harmony one remote to control it all. I don't mind getting out of WMC to use the web or to stream from netflix...but i'm single and don't have to worry about someone else using my systems.

I tried XMBC live first....it is nice...but I perfer to stick with Win7 on all my PCs...I also tried mediabrowser...and stuck with it for a while...but I never got quite comfortable with it....Now I use MyMovies and like it the best....so I have it on all the machines were I want to stream movies too. I have about 350 movies online and several TV series...and i use an iogear wireless keyboard and a harmony one remote to control it all. I don't mind getting out of WMC to use the web or to stream from netflix...but i'm single and don't have to worry about someone else using my systems.

WMC has a netflix app

I was looking at software options as well and I stumbled upon FLIRC. It allows you to control your entire setup with one remote. I plan on using it so I can control XMBC with my Logitech Harmony remote. Hope you find it useful. Take a lot at their video to see how it works. http://vimeo.com/12542134

I was looking at software options as well and I stumbled upon FLIRC. It allows you to control your entire setup with one remote. I plan on using it so I can control XMBC with my Logitech Harmony remote. Hope you find it useful. Take a lot at their video to see how it works. http://vimeo.com/12542134

Ah, sweet! Thanks for the heads up on it. Very cool.

I also just picked up the new Lenovo N5902 backlit keyboard/mouse gadget. I used the N5901 on my last HTPC it was pretty good except for the no backlighting, wobbly mouse ball, etc. Which they addressed in the Rev2 model. Woo!

Post back if it eliminates the slight input lag associated with using a Harmony to emulate a WMC remote in XBMC.

Question: What can I use to pass the video from my cable box through my HTPC and to my TV? I want to be able to capture video (like DVR). I'm assuming the HDHomerun Dual Won't do this?

I'm guessing I'll have to get a different remote that is capable of macros. The tuner card, or whatever you recommend, would not change the channel and would require the universal remote to do so. I'm trying to figure out the simplest way to do this.

I want my final interface to much like this:

Home screen:
LiveTV | RecordedTV | Movies| Hulu | YouTube | Music | Pandora

Question: What can I use to pass the video from my cable box through my HTPC and to my TV? I want to be able to capture video (like DVR). I'm assuming the HDHomerun Dual Won't do this?

I'm guessing I'll have to get a different remote that is capable of macros. The tuner card, or whatever you recommend, would not change the channel and would require the universal remote to do so. I'm trying to figure out the simplest way to do this.

How does your cable box output a signal?

The HDHomeRun Tech lists cable as an input but i have no idea how these cable tuner devices work as in the UK theyre illegal.

How does your cable box output a signal?

The HDHomeRun Tech lists cable as an input but i have no idea how these cable tuner devices work as in the UK theyre illegal.
Not sure. Will one or the other not work with the HDHR?

I'm kind of left wondering if an internal card w/ analog input is more along the lines of what I need. Possibly with an IR blaster to change channels on the STB.

How's about I return the HDHomerun Dual and get a HVR-2250? That would appear to have everything I need.

[cable box] --> [hvr225/htpc] --> [hdtv]

This would allow me to record live tv, control the cale box with the IR blaster and so, correct?

Bump. Will an HVR-2250 do what I'm wanting to do? To refresh, I want to pass the video from my cable box through my HTPC and to my TV. I want to be able to control and record my cable box from my HTPC. Y'all trackn'? :D

Well, hope that tuner does work because I just picked one up for $88.

As long as you dont want HD, it will work fine. The DVR will not output HD from the coax connection.
Cool. We don't HD through the box anyways. Only through OTA.

Anyone with experience with MythTV?

Doing a little experimenting with MC. Where in the world can I download MC Studio, so I can make it not look so stuffy? I can't seem to find a good source.

Does that work pretty well with recording live tv and archiving the files and a neat manor?

On the WMC side of things I'm looking for the Media Center Studio download, but looks like it has vanished from existence:
http://www.adventmediacenter.com/

Yeah. However, I just use the backend. I use mythbox (XBMC plugin) for the front end. It works pretty well. The regular frontend of myth works but it's sparse in comparison to something like XBMC. However, it's backend is extremely powerful.

Last edited:
Yeah. However, I just use the backend. I use mythbox (XBMC plugin) for the front end. It works pretty well. The regular frontend of myth works but it's sparse in comparison to something like XBMC. However, it's backend is extremely powerful.
I'll admit, I'm a little lost on the whole frontend backend thing. Not sure which is which. I enabled the MythTV add-on within XMBC, so I'm assuming MythTV is the backend and XMBC is the frontend in that scenario?

Anywho, I'm contemplating how I will hook it all up and control it. My existing options for remote controls are:
- Logitech 300i (no macros)
- HVR2250 remote
- Rosewill Median Center remote

The TV will be taking one HDMI input from the HTPC, so the TV input won't ever need to be changed. The HTPC will act as the switch box since all sources are either built in (DVD, HDD, streaming, etc.) or routed through the tuner card (OTA and cable box video in).

I plan to use the IR blaster function of the HVR2250, which apparently has 2 transmitters to stick on, which I will stick on the TV and the cable box. So, I'm guessing, without having it setup in front of me atm, that all IR signals will first be processed through the HTPC then blasted out to the TV/cable box.

Audio is handle with a sound bar, using the SDPIF output of the TV, with an optical cable running to the sound bar. As of right now, volume control is achieved through the TV.

The HVR2250 will likely come in tomorrow. That means I should have some manor of testing ready to go. MythTV in XMBC may prove to be a bit of a bear to setup. That remains to be seen. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, but at the moment I have no specific questions.

Thanks!

I'll admit, I'm a little lost on the whole frontend backend thing. Not sure which is which. I enabled the MythTV add-on within XMBC, so I'm assuming MythTV is the backend and XMBC is the frontend in that scenario?

Anywho, I'm contemplating how I will hook it all up and control it. My existing options for remote controls are:
- Logitech 300i (no macros)
- HVR2250 remote
- Rosewill Median Center remote

The TV will be taking one HDMI input from the HTPC, so the TV input won't ever need to be changed. The HTPC will act as the switch box since all sources are either built in (DVD, HDD, streaming, etc.) or routed through the tuner card (OTA and cable box video in).

I plan to use the IR blaster function of the HVR2250, which apparently has 2 transmitters to stick on, which I will stick on the TV and the cable box. So, I'm guessing, without having it setup in front of me atm, that all IR signals will first be processed through the HTPC then blasted out to the TV/cable box.

Audio is handle with a sound bar, using the SDPIF output of the TV, with an optical cable running to the sound bar. As of right now, volume control is achieved through the TV.

The HVR2250 will likely come in tomorrow. That means I should have some manor of testing ready to go. MythTV in XMBC may prove to be a bit of a bear to setup. That remains to be seen. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, but at the moment I have no specific questions.

Thanks!

If you are using the mythbox frontend in XBMC then yes you are using the Mythtv backend for your tuners and XBMC for your frontend. Word of advice, I would skip the IR blaster route. Just like with a remote, if the receiver doesn't catch the signal you could miss a show, or record something you don't want.

What I did was use firewire to control my set top box. I'm using the HD PVR (component) to record and firewire to change the channels. I get 100% accuracy this way. I have never missed a show. Plus it's cool to watch firewire change my channels for me. You don't have to go this route. However, if you did I can pretty much assure it will work like a champ. But you can try the IR blaster route. If you need help let me know I've been using Mythtv for quite a while. Mythtv's backend is second to none especially once you consider price.

Back