New HTPC Build - Software advice please?

If you are using the mythbox frontend in XBMC then yes you are using the Mythtv backend for your tuners and XBMC for your frontend. Word of advice, I would skip the IR blaster route. Just like with a remote, if the receiver doesn't catch the signal you could miss a show, or record something you don't want.

What I did was use firewire to control my set top box. I'm using the HD PVR (component) to record and firewire to change the channels. I get 100% accuracy this way. I have never missed a show. Plus it's cool to watch firewire change my channels for me. You don't have to go this route. However, if you did I can pretty much assure it will work like a champ. But you can try the IR blaster route. If you need help let me know I've been using Mythtv for quite a while. Mythtv's backend is second to none especially once you consider price.

Change channels via fireware? That sounds slick. Sadly, I don't have firewire on my mobo and no room for an expansion card (which I do have a firewire card) on my E350M1.

I setup my HTPC up last night to receive analog decrypted video from the cable box and into the component input (yellow RCA) of the HVR2250s expansion card (which is dangling out of a hole in the back of my case).

Problem:
I get all the way through setup in 7MC and then am face planted into a wall: IR HARDWARE NOT DETECTED. I try repeatedly to get this to work. I also try configuring the input as analog antenna to totally bypass the IR setup all together. But to no avail. IR is simply not detected.

Weird thing:
My HVR2250, which I made the mistake of purchasing off flea bay, has no IR plug on the main card, only on the expansion card with the component/s-video input.

Question:
What the hell do I do? I've try various utilities and drivers. I've try WinTV, Mythbox, 7MC.

Grrr.... I remember now why I gave up on my last HTPC project. I read so many posts of people just seamlessly setting their cards up, wish it was true for me.

Side question:
Seeing as how I may abandon this odd IR-less HVR2250, what tuner should I get in it's stead? Another HVR2250? Capture card? External tuner?

Thanks in advance!

Headphone trick: I'm reading around the webs that some people trick 7MC by plugging headphones into the IR output. I'll try this when I get home, but seeing as how I have the IR blaster plugged in, you'd think that would be enough.

Virtual IR Blaster. Anyone have any experience with this in 7MC to bypass the IR Detect phase of live tv setup?

Question:
What the hell do I do? I've try various utilities and drivers. I've try WinTV, Mythbox, 7MC.

Option 1. Get a MCE remote with IR blaster capabilities built in.
This may work for you in Windows. I can't see the remote manufacturers releasing a device that doesn't have the IR blaster functionality which works.This is also the cheapest solution.

Option 2. Buy another USB IR blaster.
Again if you are in Windows this should be a breeze.

Option 3. Get a HD PVR
They also have the IR capabilities built in so again if you are in Windows you shouldn't have a problem. Also if you did have a problem this would free that PCI-E port for a firewire card to change the channels for you. So you've got two options here. However this is the most expensive option.

Side question:
Seeing as how I may abandon this odd IR-less HVR2250, what tuner should I get in it's stead? Another HVR2250? Capture card? External tuner?

Thanks in advance!

Speaking from personal experience the HD PVR (1212 i think) has been wonderful so far. The picture quality is outstanding and produces nice H264 files. If you go this route I would stick with Windows. The setup will be easier.... that is if you decide to do this. The easiest option is still to buy a USB IR blaster that will be detected by Windows.

Option 1. Get a MCE remote with IR blaster capabilities built in.
This may work for you in Windows. I can't see the remote manufacturers releasing a device that doesn't have the IR blaster functionality which works.This is also the cheapest solution.

Option 2. Buy another USB IR blaster.
Again if you are in Windows this should be a breeze.

Option 3. Get a HD PVR
They also have the IR capabilities built in so again if you are in Windows you shouldn't have a problem. Also if you did have a problem this would free that PCI-E port for a firewire card to change the channels for you. So you've got two options here. However this is the most expensive option.

Speaking from personal experience the HD PVR (1212 i think) has been wonderful so far. The picture quality is outstanding and produces nice H264 files. If you go this route I would stick with Windows. The setup will be easier.... that is if you decide to do this. The easiest option is still to buy a USB IR blaster that will be detected by Windows.

I've started with the cheapest route and got an MCE remote kit with dual IR blasters. And there are quite a few hd pvr on craigslist for around $150, just in case. Thanks for the input. I'm sure this whole htpc thing will come together eventually. And here I was thinking I had the hardware side all figured out.... Ha!

DVD Ripping:
I'm currently ripping DVDs with AnyDVD. I've got 21 days to get my library over to my external HDD before the trial period ends. Or I can move over to the next computer and do another 21 days :D

I've also tried DVDShrink and DVDFab with mixed results.

I'm using My Movies in 7MC for meta data and organizing. Works really nicely so far.

Remote:
I've also got a Harmony 1000 on the way to go with my MCE IR/blaster setup up. This will make things very simple and fun to use. I bought one of these back when a refurbished one was $300 at Tiger. This one is significantly cheaper now. They are great remotes.

Youtubing:
I'm giving Macrotube a try, which is a plug-in for 7MC. Should be a nice addition.

Not that anyone is following this, but more coming soon... :)

Ripping in action... how exciting...
IMAG0278.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe you should do the right thing and actually pay for Anydvd, since you tried it, you know it works, and are now using it?

Maybe you should do the right thing and actually pay for Anydvd, since you tried it, you know it works, and are now using it?

Except I'll be done ripping all my dvds within 21 days and I'm not paying that price tag just to rip 1 or 2 more over the next year. But thanks for the moral advice, dad. ;)

Except I'll be done ripping all my dvds within 21 days and I'm not paying that price tag just to rip 1 or 2 more over the next year. But thanks for the moral advice, dad. ;)

Lucky you. I buy lots of cheap BDs from Amazon, so I'm ripping all the time to ISO. Of course, I bought a lifetime sub for AnyDVDHD when the first offered it and before I ever got into the streaming blu-ray game. Must have been a moment of vision for me...

Lucky you. I buy lots of cheap BDs from Amazon, so I'm ripping all the time to ISO. Of course, I bought a lifetime sub for AnyDVDHD when the first offered it and before I ever got into the streaming blu-ray game. Must have been a moment of vision for me...
Nice. Until recently I haven't bought any DVDs in a long while. We just bought a bunch of Disney movies for our up and coming little one. :) If I find myself needing to rip more DVDs and can't get any of the freeware to work I'll spring for the AnyDVDHD. It's by far the best I've used so far.

I'm still working on getting Macrotube to work. That would be great if I could get it to go. Anyone here have any known fixes to Macrotube for 7MC 64 bit? I've already replaced some of the xml.

Last edited:

The other issue, is that AnyDVDHD is really a must-have software on any HTPC playing BD, since a fair number of discs simply wont play on an HTPC without it running in the background. And the nice thing about is that they update it with virtually every new BD release, since the studios are coming out with new encryption almost monthly.

Update: I received my re-certified Dell MCE remote and IR blaster (x2) kit off flea-bay for $13 the other day and finally tested it out today. Works like a champ! I'm now past the "No IR hardware detected" error message of 7MC. Moving right along!

IMAG0291-1.jpg

The htpc is hiding in the ride-side cubby-hole, sitting on top of the stb. Modem and router at the very top.

Update:
Woop woop! Up and running. :) Well, I've got my little HTPC hooked up and operating. I figured the best way to work out the bugs is to use it and see what issues come up. So far just a few, but nothing major.

Known issues:

1. IR remote does not work upon waking from sleep or hibernate. Unplugging and plugging in the IR USB receiver fixes this. I need to figure out how to prevent this.
  2. MyMovies is really slow to access my external HDD. The enclosure and motherboard are both USB3.0 capable, but it does not recognize it when in a USB3.0 port. USB3 is enable in the BIOS and I do believe I have the correct drivers. I also have a dual bay raid enclosure (USB3.0) and another 1TB drive. Would this be beneficial in access speed and/or data robustness?
  3. Macrotube is still not functional. I'm still getting the video error message. I have replaced the xml files as recommended. Macrotube would be great if I can get it to work.
  4. HTPC is slow to boot from dead off. Not normally an issue, but I hate having to wait so long for a restart or power-on. But I'm reducing this time; a 64GB M4 SSD is on order. It's official, I'm spoiled with SSD.
Still working on:

1. I'm still getting my DVDs ripped to my external drive.
  2. Trying to figure out Macrotube.
  3. Tweaking the MediaCenter interface to be functional and pleasing to use.
  4. Fine tuning the remote control setup to fluidly control all devices and still be simple to operate.
Any feedback, input, advice and guidance is greatly appreciated. :p

The htpc is hiding in the ride-side cubby-hole, sitting on top of the stb. Modem and router at the very top.

Update:
Woop woop! Up and running. :) Well, I've got my little HTPC hooked up and operating. I figured the best way to work out the bugs is to use it and see what issues come up. So far just a few, but nothing major.

Known issues:

1. IR remote does not work upon waking from sleep or hibernate. Unplugging and plugging in the IR USB receiver fixes this. I need to figure out how to prevent this.
  2. MyMovies is really slow to access my external HDD. The enclosure and motherboard are both USB3.0 capable, but it does not recognize it when in a USB3.0 port. USB3 is enable in the BIOS and I do believe I have the correct drivers. I also have a dual bay raid enclosure (USB3.0) and another 1TB drive. Would this be beneficial in access speed and/or data robustness?
  3. Macrotube is still not functional. I'm still getting the video error message. I have replaced the xml files as recommended. Macrotube would be great if I can get it to work.
  4. HTPC is slow to boot from dead off. Not normally an issue, but I hate having to wait so long for a restart or power-on. But I'm reducing this time; a 64GB M4 SSD is on order. It's official, I'm spoiled with SSD.
Still working on:

1. I'm still getting my DVDs ripped to my external drive.
  2. Trying to figure out Macrotube.
  3. Tweaking the MediaCenter interface to be functional and pleasing to use.
  4. Fine tuning the remote control setup to fluidly control all devices and still be simple to operate.
Any feedback, input, advice and guidance is greatly appreciated. :p

Wow! That is VERY nicely done and very tasteful. I bet Krista is proud of cmadki4!

@staknhalo - i'm getting the error message when i try to click a thumbnail and play a youtube video. something along the lines of "there is an error with the video or it no longer exists..." Did Macrotube work for you out of the box? Or did you have to replace any xml?

@officermartinez - thanks bro! Yes, the Mrs. is quite pleased. I'm having much more success with this htpc than i did on my first one in the kt-400. I'm trying to do this one "right".

Question:
Is there a way to turn my TV on and off with my 2nd IR blaster? Perhaps EventGhost is capable of this?

Another question:
With Macrotube is there a way to add my account subscriptions and whatnot?

Last edited:
1) For something like that you want to look at the Logitech Harmony series. I have the Logitech Harmony 300i

2) You can have your favorites show up, only that. Look inside the XML file, there's a section you have to un-comment out and add your username too. It's easy to spot and directions are in there.

1. Yeah, I thought so. I actually happen to have 2 Harmony 300i remotes and a Harmony 1000. I'll probably set one of the 300i up for it.

2. I used that iView you recommended for Pandora, but also have created Youtube channel launchers with it as well. Works pretty well!

I've got a video uploading now. I'll post it a little later.

Nice job on the build.
I just built my latest HTPC, yesterday, from this guys info. http://assassinhtpcblog.com/ He's VERY up to date on HTPC and will share more than most in the HTPC business. He has a fair amount of free info but his $20 unlimited paid guides are GREAT. I haven't even installed my WinTV 2650 capture card yet and I'm getting 90% of what I want strictly by internet.
Some free info here. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=21146497&posted=1#post21146497
My new build is at the bottom. Check out the next page for good info from Assassin. :D

Last edited:
Nice job on the build.
I just built my latest HTPC, yesterday, from this guys info. http://assassinhtpcblog.com/ He's VERY up to date on HTPC and will share more than most in the HTPC business. He has a fair amount of free info but his $20 unlimited paid guides are GREAT. I haven't even installed my WinTV 2650 capture card yet and I'm getting 90% of what I want strictly by internet.
Some free info here. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=21146497&posted=1#post21146497
My new build is at the bottom. Check out the next page for good info from Assassin. :D

Pay for guides?:rolleyes:

If the guides he has in his free section are any indication, I'm not seeing the value of his content. The free guides I just took a look at there, specifically the one about Media Browser, tell you nothing more than what you would pick up by briefly skimming the Media Browser FAQ on their website. I'm sure his HTPC's are great, but I really feel that you're nickel and dimeing(sp?) it there by charging for his guides.

If the guides he has in his free section are any indication, I'm not seeing the value of his content. The free guides I just took a look at there, specifically the one about Media Browser, tell you nothing more than what you would pick up by briefly skimming the Media Browser FAQ on their website. I'm sure his HTPC's are great, but I really feel that you're nickel and dimeing(sp?) it there by charging for his guides.

I guess some people really like guides and how-to's and reading. But with the vast amounts of good information on forums, such as [H]ard, the answers are out there. It just a matter of filtering through the nonsense and trying things out for yourself.

Update: I purchased a 64GB M4 SSD for the HTPC as an OS drive. The HTPC has a pretty fast response to everything, but I'm thinking this will make it a little bit snappier. Maybe even allow me to shut it down completely, and be able to boot faster than it currently wakes from sleep on an HDD.

Side problem/question/issue/thing: As my HTPC is now, when I leave alone for the day, powered on or put to sleep, when ever I go to use it again the IR remote will not respond. The IR receiver power light is usually on, but the red "receiving" light does not respond to the remote. Unplugging and plugging in the receiver USB fixes it. Any ideas how to solve?

Spanks!

I've got my system pretty well squared away. We've been using it on a daily basis and it has been a champ. It's been nice to use just one remote and have music, movies, TV and Youtube all at our fingertips. And we've already started rockn' the Pandora Christmas music. :D

Here is how it sits now. In this shot you can see the IR receiver at the top right (black/silver round thing), the HTPC in the cubby hole on the right, and the 1 TB USB3.0 external HDD to the left of the HTPC. Tucks in there nicely, I must say.
IMAG0324-1.jpg

Now I just need to get the SSD installed and we'll be good to go! And it's already firmware 0009, so good there! Thanks for watching. If you have questions, feel free to ask. :)

Really? Maybe you should do a little research before you accuse someone of nickel and diming people. I have spent literally hundreds of hours on the guides and many more than that of good old research and tinkering to get my HTPC the way I want it to look and function. The whole point of the guides was to help people out and the reason to charge for the guides is as much to keep my interest so that I keep updating them (which I do on a weekly basis).

And yes, the sample guides are very basic. Why would I put anything else out there for free?

Again, all my guides are step-by-step and illustrated. All of them. All 46 (and counting).

Here's a list of what I am currently offering which is growing on a routine basis. Next time before accusing someone of nickel and diming people do just a little research first to know what you are talking about...

General bios configuration
SATA settings including AHCI in bios
Boot priority in bios
Hard drive boot priority in bios
Fan settings in bios
Onboard video settings in bios
HD Audio and Video settings in bios
General Windows installation
Correct way to make an OS partition on a single hard drive (and why to do it)
Optimal way to install updates
What to install and NOT to install from your motherboard disc
How to add and enable a second hard drive in disk management
Optimal way to install hardware drivers
General setup after windows install
General approach to loading drivers
Anti-virus discussion and recommendation
Other important Windows settings
Software required with direct links to downloads
Descriptions of what all software does in easy to use terms and how your HTPC interacts with each of these pieces of software
Bitstreaming instructions for all HD Audio and HD Video
Correct way to connect your HTPC to AV system/receiver using HDMI and/or optical digital audio
Tweaking your picture from your HTPC including overscan
Windows Media Center setup and configuration
Mediabrowser settings and configuration
How to add movies correctly
Changing the theme background and changing folder permissions
Adding custom icons
Themes and plug-ins needed
Enabling local metadata for quicker load times
Preparing Media Center Master and describing how it works
Describing how to find a movie that cannot be found
Correct way to update your library
Changing the look in mediabrowser
Guide for naming folders correctly
Integrate HULU into Windows Media Center seamlessly
Integrate Zinc.TV into Windows Media Center seamlessly
Integrate Boxee into Windows Media Center seamlessly
Integrating ESPN3 into Windows Media Center seamlessly
MakeMKV made even easier
Integrating Auto Rip n Compress
Pearl theme appearance guide
Adding and configuring a TV Tuner Device in WMC
Adding TV Channel logos to the WMC TV Guide
Turning on and off subtitles in WMC
Subtitle contols in WMC
Sample HD audio and HD Video files
Testing your HD Audio Setup including bitstreaming
Tutorial on how to test your HD Audio Setup through WMC
Game Emulation basics on your HTPC
Guide on how to setup and use game emulators inside MB
Guide on how to setup and use gamebrowser
Guide on how to setup and use gaming emulators in full screen
Playing games with a game emulator
Metadata for your games
Guide on downloading and installing metadata for your games
Custom folder art for your games
Searching for actors and titles in WMC
Recording shows and series in WMC
Changing recording settings in WMC
Changing where recordings are stored in WMC
Reviewing and managing recordings in WMC
Viewing your media information
Changing audio streams seamlessly during playback
Discussing shrinking and changing HD file using Handbrake
Installing and describing different parts of Handbrake
Discussing settings and how to shrink files using Handbrake
Software for renaming your files in bulk
Guide on renaming your files in bulk
Using other components to update libraries using newly renamed files
Software needed to mount an iso file
Mounting an iso file from within Mediabrowser
Playing an iso file with your HTPC
Installing HD Homerun software
Configuring HD Homerun settings
Integrating HD Homerun into WMC
Starting WMC in Live TV Mode from shortcut
Starting WMC in Live TV Mode from start menu
Adding ability to toggle subtitles via remote control
Custom programming buttons for subtitle control
Download theatrical trailers automatically
Add theatrical trailers automatically
Watch theatrical trailers from within Mediabrowser for your specific movies
Describing how to make a custom “moving” backdrop
Creating a custom “moving” backdrop
How to integrate a custom backdrop for each genre media collection within Mediabrowser
Adding Netflix plug-in to WMC
Lauching Netflix from WMC
Watching Netflix from WMC
Transcoding Live TV files and recordings automatically
Shrink your Live TV files and recordings to 10% of their original size automatically
Remove commercials automatically from your Live TV files and recordings
Set a time to automatically transcode and remove commercials from your Live TV files
Describing what a VPN is and why to use it
List of recommend VPN sites
Setup and configuring a VPN
Integrating a VPN into your HTPC software
Updating Media Browser
Chaging the view in Media Browser
Using the Coverart plug-in in Media Browser
Updating the Image Cache in Media Browser
Media Browser new appearance guide #2
How to backup your HTPC
Why you should want to create a system image
How to create an image of your OS drive
Creating a System Repair Disc
Creating a System Image on Hard Drive, Disc or Network
Recovering your HTPC from an OS failure using system image
Rebooting your HTPC and installing your system image
Overview of using boxed sets in mediabrowser
Correctly labeling your boxed sets in mediabrowser
Folder setup in mediabrowser using boxed sets
Boxed set display options in mediabrowser
Advanced: Launching MPC-HC from Mediabrowser
Advanced: Adding LAV, LAV CUVID, Madvr, and MPC-HC
Advanced: LAV, LAV CUVID, Madvr, MPC-HC settings

Do you charge for Google search's too?
Ha, I chuckled out loud when I read that.

Though I kind of see the value of his guides since they are a collective body of info w/ illustrations, more than likely in a cohesive format (but I haven't seen them). Hunting and sorting through the forums for answers leads to a lot of bad gauge (info).

But personally, I don't want to pay for information that is most likely out in the ether for free. I don't mind the hunt. But that's just my humble opinion. :)

EDIT:
@assassinhtpc - did you create an account here just to respond to valve's post? :D welcome to the forums!

Do you charge for Google search's too?

Approximately 2/3rds or more of my guides aren't available anywhere else. And even when they are some of them are horrible guides that aren't illustrated.

The other problem is that if you are a HTPC newbie you have no idea what you are even looking for. That is where my guides become even more valuable.

But go ahead. Google away. Good luck with that.

Ha, I chuckled out loud when I read that.

Though I kind of see the value of his guides since they are a collective body of info w/ illustrations, more than likely in a cohesive format (but I haven't seen them). Hunting and sorting through the forums for answers leads to a lot of bad gauge (info).

But personally, I don't want to pay for information that is most likely out in the ether for free. I don't mind the hunt. But that's just my humble opinion. :)

EDIT:
@assassinhtpc - did you create an account here just to respond to valve's post? :D welcome to the forums!

Of course. I have to defend myself and my hard work.

I would be interested in giving you access to my guides. You can then give Hard Forum and unbiased review of what you think of the guides.

Just PM me your desired user name, email address and password you want to be associated with your user name at the guides and I will set you up asap.

FYI here are other thoughts on my guides. I have actually quit updating these comments as I think what I have listed gets the point across.

Back