New Guild Wars 2 Trailer

All discussions of water sports aside...

On one hand, I'd LOVE everything they describe to come true.

On the other hand I don't honestly believe in magic. ;)

Free, non-instanced, massively multiplayer, player actions having permanent impact, no grinding, no "swing-sword" "swing-sword again", all with exceptional graphics that are fluid from one end of the game world to the other.. ?

You'd have a better shot showing me a demo of flying pigs to be very honest.

There's going to be some SERIOUS catches if they deliver even 90% of what that demo states they are going for.

I'd LOVE to be wrong.

Yeah, throughout the video I was asking myself.. so what's the catch? If it's about as good as they make it out to be, I suppose the catch will be the DLC's. $5 here for a new little area with new monsters and armour. $10 there for another. $5 here for a pet or something. $15 for new levels and more quests etc...

Anyone else think Ree Soesbee is kinda hot?!?

Yeah, throughout the video I was asking myself.. so what's the catch? If it's about as good as they make it out to be, I suppose the catch will be the DLC's. $5 here for a new little area with new monsters and armour. $10 there for another. $5 here for a pet or something. $15 for new levels and more quests etc...

Look at Guild Wars 1, They manged to make a great game without monthly fees, and no they didnt charge for all that extra crap, everything was in the game, they mightve had a few promos and you can buy a few things, Im sure GW2 will be the exact same thing. Arena Net knows what their doing, they've been around the block.

I never played the First Guild Wars... I am despratly looking for a MMO to get into. Either FFXIV, GW2, Or sigh... back to WoW.

I have to say, you should really try GW. You can pick it up on the cheap now too. It's just great. I will go as far to say it's my favorite PC game of all time, i've got close to 1200 hours logged in it.

Why can't Blizzard get out of the past, and update WoW to a 2010 engine like this, instead of the very dated looking 2003 engine we stuck with.

But I guess with their sales, they feel no need to spend the resources on such a major upgrade.

2011 shaping up to be the year of the MMO; SW:ToR and GW2

Can't wait for this, and it's probably one of the few PC games I'm looking forward to next year.

Why can't Blizzard get out of the past, and update WoW to a 2010 engine like this, instead of the very dated looking 2003 engine we stuck with.

But I guess with their sales, they feel no need to spend the resources on such a major upgrade.

2011 shaping up to be the year of the MMO; SW:ToR and GW2

If GW2 becomes the next big MMO and finaly knocks WOW off teh top then you will see blizzard make a new mmo.

blizzard cant/wont stay on top forever.

Gamescon in germany is going on right now. They are going to have a playable demo setup there. This will be the first time anyones outside of Anet has actually got their hands on the game. Check out the dev blog on making the demo on their site. They said they used 60 voice actors just in the demo!

Am I the only one who'd do the chick game designer in the vid?

200px-Ree.jpg

Not bad for a nerdy game designer chick

its a window. it leads to the "outside." it is not a portal. it is made of glass, it can break.

If GW2 becomes the next big MMO and finaly knocks WOW off teh top then you will see blizzard make a new mmo.

blizzard cant/wont stay on top forever.

I don't see GW knocking Wow from the top but I do think it will pull quite a few subs away.

Had no idea GW2, was gonna be this kick ass. My main beef with the first one was it was an MMO lite on rails and I HATED that.

hate Guild Wars 1 because;

- No jumping, like WTF :rolleyes:
- Invincible fences around everything, making you walk on a linear path :rolleyes: That was hands down the #1 beef with me, how can you have an MMO where you not allowed to just walk off into the sunset and go wherever you feel like it. That kills the whole meaning of a free and open ended world, like WoW or EverQuest.
- No swimming
- Everything Instanced :rolleyes: I liike the world to be one huge gigantic open place like WoW, I am not saying copy WoW, but at least in that idea, of being truly open, or at least very large continents that are free to roam around with no load screens.

But it seems Guild Wars 2 changes everyone of my complaints ? Or will they not be changed ?

I just want it to be more open, and no invincible fences, go where ever I feel like it, and jump while doing it. Plus throw in some end game Raiding, and I will cancel my WoW account A.S.A.P.

I just watched some WoW Cat videos...After watching some GW2 gameplay...No contest, not even close. GW2 looks incredible.

One other thing, this new game engine for GW2, is stunning :eek: Like holy sh!t awesome. What engine is it ?

And it just shows how totally dated WoW is, even with the graphic updates coming in Cataclysm, still just putting lipstick on a pig. I think for the first time ever WoW will lose finally lose some of their subscriber base in 2011 after Cataclysm been out for 6 months or so, and when StarWars and GW2 MMO comes out

Last edited:

Why do you need to jump in GW? Jumping would make PVP extremely annoying. I'm glad they left it out. Looks like it's here for GW2 though..

- Invincible fences around everything, making you walk on a linear path :rolleyes: That was hands down the #1 beef with me, how can you have an MMO where you not allowed to just walk off into the sunset and go wherever you feel like it. That kills the whole meaning of a free and open ended world, like WoW or EverQuest.

I cant say for certain that this will be in GW2 as we've not really heard any news regarding this. Theres just no telling at this point.

- No swimming

Confirmed. Rangers can actually get Sharks as pets lol.

- Everything Instanced :rolleyes: I liike the world to be one huge gigantic open place like WoW, I am not saying copy WoW, but at least in that idea, of being truly open, or at least very large continents that are free to roam around with no load screens.

Load screens aside, I actually prefer instancing. It does not matter how open world WoW is if it's just one big puppet show. Waiting in line to kill a mob/mobs/boss? No thanks, give me instancing any day over that. That is actually what stopped me from playing WoW. I found it hard to get immersed in the "open world" when everything felf recycled and paper thin. My experience went something like this :
1.Start an area -> Kill mob A 100 times to level up ->
2.Go to new area -> Kill new mob which is the same mob just different color until you level up.
3. Rinse,repeat, over and over. There was no reason to ever go back to levels you previously visited. I dont know, it just wasnt for me.

But it seems Guild Wars 2 changes everyone of my complaints ? Or will they not be changed ?

I just want it to be more open, and no invincible fences, go where ever I feel like it, and jump while doing it. Plus throw in some end game Raiding, and I will cancel my WoW account A.S.A.P.

We'll see what happens, only time will tell. I can tell you that right now, for me, this is by far my most anticipated game.

Looking at these videos again, just amazing. And StarWars will also have some sweet graphics, I heard they are holding off on showing the final "Ultra high quality" settings until the game is closer to release.

Again WoW looks really dated now, I mean very old looking in a bad way

Looking at these videos again, just amazing. And StarWars will also have some sweet graphics, I heard they are holding off on showing the final "Ultra high quality" settings until the game is closer to release.

Again WoW looks really dated now, I mean very old looking in a bad way

I could not agree more, i did the same thing. GW2 looks really polished and smooth. Even little things, like the map, quest dialog, inventory screen ect all looked super polished.

I could not agree more, i did the same thing. GW2 looks really polished and smooth. Even little things, like the map, quest dialog, inventory screen ect all looked super polished.

Isn't the Guild Wars team made up of former Blizzard employees who helped create the early stages of WoW ?

Maybe they just got their feet wet and tested out everything with GW1, and now that they proved themselves, and have some cash in the bank to a produce a better game, they are truly the ones to bring out a very strong competitor to WoW ?

After Cataclysm is out for awhile and people have seen all the new stuff, I really see the WoW fan base fading away and getting sick of the same old 6+ year old game, and willing to try something brand new. StarWars ToR and GW2, could not be coming out at a better time. Let the hype fade away from Cat, and bring out something fresh and fun.

^only a few guys from Blizzard went into ANet. most of the 'top guys' (Roper, Hu, Shenk...) created their own master piece called Hellgate: London
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Stop it, about to have a nerdgasm :D

I sure hope this game lives up to the hype. But good thing going for them this is not a #1 or first try from a brand new company calling it the next WoW killer. They at least proved themselves already with Guild Wars 1, and now look to be creating on of the most exciting and best looking MMO's in years.

All I can think of, is how this makes WoW still look like like a 2004 game, not something rom 2010. This even makes StarWars ToR just look average.

Looking at this kick ass Dragon group kill;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1WkLhoAT-A&feature=player_embedded#!
Lets see WoW make a Raid that fucking cool, and really come to life feel

Again, all I can say is, please live up to the hype, and don't be another WarHammer where it fell flat on it's face right after launch.

Stop it, about to have a nerdgasm :D

I sure hope this game lives up to the hype. But good thing going for them this is not a #1 or first try from a brand new company calling it the next WoW killer. They at least proved themselves already with Guild Wars 1, and now look to be creating on of the most exciting and best looking MMO's in years.

All I can think of, is how this makes WoW still look like like a 2004 game, not something rom 2010. This even makes StarWars ToR just look average.

Looking at this kick ass Dragon group kill;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1WkLhoAT-A&feature=player_embedded#!
Lets see WoW make a Raid that fucking cool, and really come to life feel

Again, all I can say is, please live up to the hype, and don't be another WarHammer where it fell flat on it's face right after launch.

I have no doubt that Anet can do it, if it was anyone else making these promises I would be reluctant but not them. Your right, they already have a huge following with GW which bodes well for GW2.

What's the release window on this? I read somewhere November 2011. That's no bueno. I want it now.

What's the release window on this? I read somewhere November 2011. That's no bueno. I want it now.

There is no telling really. It could be anyone's guess at this point. I'm with you though man, i want this now!

Whoa, some of those videos are awesome. This game is looking great, in both visuals and design philosophy.

I haven't been keeping up with this or TOR until yesterday. Bioware should have stuck with single player RPGs and left MMOs to the pros. Pretty sizable difference in quality as far as I can tell at the moment.

I haven't been keeping up with this or TOR until yesterday. Bioware should have stuck with single player RPGs and left MMOs to the pros. Pretty sizable difference in quality as far as I can tell at the moment.

I am excited about SW;ToR too, but lets not forget the game is a good 6+ months away, they are not going to show off every bell and whistle just yet. There could be a graphic setting/option they keeping back a bit.

And Bioware does make some great games, would be pretty surprised if they spent all this time and money on ToR and it was a flop and sucked.

Just watched the video, amazing. Looks like crack mixed with heroin. with a side of meth.

Had no idea GW2, was gonna be this kick ass. My main beef with the first one was it was an MMO lite on rails and I HATED that.

- No swimming

those were my complaints with the first one for me also.. it does look like at least some of these will be gone, I am hoping for all of them being gone.. it looks very promising. :)

those were my complaints with the first one for me also.. it does look like at least some of these will be gone, I am hoping for all of them being gone.. it looks very promising. :)

Yep, my main thing I want gone are the invisible fences. That just kills a game for me. In an MMO, I want the freedom to go where ever the heck I feel like going, and jump over fences and tree stumps too, just adds to the freedom and getting me into the Fantasy world.

And just keep dungeons and raids instanced. I like the rest of the world open to see other players from the huge server playing around me like a living breathing world with a full population.

Back