New Games, Old Hardware.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diablo2K

Supreme [H]ardness
First My Specs:
Lenovo Legion 5 17" 1080p 144hz
Intel i7 10750h (most of the time runs at 4.2 to 4.8ghz, does Thermal Throttle to 3.8ghz once in a while).
Nvidia RTX 2060 (1935mhz)
16gb Dual Channel @2933
WD Black SN770 2tb SSD Gen4 Drive in a Gen3 slot, runs about 3500mb/s

I have been really happy with the performance of my laptop up till about the last couple months with the release of Starfield. Before i could run just about anything at high or better setting at 60+ fps. Cyberpunk 2077 on high with Raytracing and I was getting 60+fps. Forza Horizon 5 ran great at high settings (not sure about Raytracing setting) 60+ all day long! Then came Starfield, on low settings I was getting 20-45fps, and things looked like crap, everything was blurry, jaggies were horendous, it was so fugly I couldn't play it. This was with FSR enabled, disabled and various other settings.
I don't understand why all the sudden I could not play the latest games on even the lowest of settings. There is no reason I kow of why it should look so bad and run so poorly. I installed the DLSS mod and image quality improved alot, on mediem settings i was about 45fps. mostly playable and visuals didn't want to make you puke.
Couple days ago I installed the Enshrouded Demo and things are the same as Starfield, (Not sure if it is also a Bethesda game or not but it also only has FSR) Same jaggies and washed out textures, it's like a permenant fog, like your running around with a really bad headache where you want to walk around the house with your eyes closed only to barely open them to make sure your not running into a wall.

Why is it all the sudden games only use FSR, Look so bad and run so horrible. Why can't I adjust the settings down to Cyberpunk 2077 medium settings visuals and get decent performance. Why does it have to look like things did back in Quake 1 days before I got the Diamond Monster 3d video card. (The video card was such a game changer for me when playing Unreal and Quake, the differance it made was huge!). Only reason I can think of is AMD wants to sell some $1500 video cards!

I have been really happy with the performance of my laptop up till about the last couple months with the release of Starfield.
Join the club.
Your LT isn't going to get better. Ever.
Enjoy what works well at top GFX or enjoy newer releases and basic visuals for the fun of it.

Join the club.
Your LT isn't going to get better. Ever.
Enjoy what works well at top GFX or enjoy newer releases and basic visuals for the fun of it.
I guess the point I am trying to make is that I don't think the problem is my Laptop. Maybe the games I listed are just made for high end current PCs and to hell with everyone else. I don't see any reason why the game has to look so bad on lower settings. Why do I have to mod the game to get it to look decent and run well. It looks great with DLSS on medium settings and is playable at 45+ fps. With the stock FSR it runs poorly and looks even worse. Why not have a DLSS option stock in game unless they are in the pockets of AMD....
I have not tried to play any other new games such as Balders Gate 3 so i do not have alot of info to go on other than these 2 games.

Last edited:
I guess the point I am trying to make is that I don't think the problem is my Laptop. Maybe the games I listed are just made for high end current PCs and to hell with everyone else. I don't see any reason why the game has to look so bad on lower settings. Why do I have to mod the game to get it to look decent and run well. It looks great with DLSS on medium settings and is playable at 45+ fps. With the stock FSR it runs poorly and looks even worse. Why not have a DLSS option stock in game unless they are in the pockets of AMD....
I have not tried to play any other new games such as Balders Gate 3 so i do not have alot of info to go on other than these 2 games.

Starfield runs like trash for me too. It's just a poorly coded and poorly optimized game. You should be able to refund it if you bought it on Steam.

Your laptop's fine. Starfield was an AMD sponsored title so they didn't announce dlss support until there was a public outcry like yours. It'll get native dlss soon, but for now the mods help. Baldur's Gate 3 will run fine for you :).

Starfield runs like trash for me too. It's just a poorly coded and poorly optimized game. You should be able to refund it if you bought it on Steam.
I got it on Xbox Pc Game Pass so no loss.
Your laptop's fine. Starfield was an AMD sponsored title so they didn't announce dlss support until there was a public outcry like yours. It'll get native dlss soon, but for now the mods help. Baldur's Gate 3 will run fine for you :).
I only mentioned BG3 because of how new it was and how highly it was reviewed. I don't think I would like it as it is turn based and I have not liked any of those in the past.

I know it is time to upgrade from my Laptop. I have an Amazon Wishlist with the computer I would love to build, it is about $2200, has a Ryzen 7 7800x3d and RTX4070. I got a premium motherboard so I have room to upgrade, PCIe 5.0, 5th Gen NVME M.2, DDR5 ect. (I don't like the "USB4 Support" you have to get a add on modual to add the usb4 and I have not been able to find it anywhare and I don't think I would have the room for a PCIe Thunderbolt 4/USB4 card.)

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Starfield runs and looks good on a Radeon 6700XT. I've played it plenty on my motherboard test rig.

Wanted to update this post. I just replayed the Xbox Version of Starfield. Now that it has DLSS built in and I don't have to run a mod. Running on the Medium preset w/ DLSS and 50% resolution scale I am getting 60-75 fps most of the time, some dips to about 45 from time to time. But the image quality is pretty good and the game is more than playable and enjoyable.
One thing I have noticed is the textures seem overdone. When your close to someone and look at there clothes or even there face the "Texture" really stands out. The ridges and wrinkles in the skin are overly detailed. I will play with the settings some more and see what I can do and still have good visuals and FPS.

Starfield got a performance patch in the last few weeks, it might actually be playable for you now. It still doesn't run as good as it should but it's better. My 3080 actually manages OK at 4k w/DLSS quality now.

First My Specs:
Lenovo Legion 5 17" 1080p 144hz
Intel i7 10750h (most of the time runs at 4.2 to 4.8ghz, does Thermal Throttle to 3.8ghz once in a while).
Nvidia RTX 2060 (1935mhz)
16gb Dual Channel @2933
WD Black SN770 2tb SSD Gen4 Drive in a Gen3 slot, runs about 3500mb/s

I have been really happy with the performance of my laptop up till about the last couple months with the release of Starfield. Before i could run just about anything at high or better setting at 60+ fps. Cyberpunk 2077 on high with Raytracing and I was getting 60+fps. Forza Horizon 5 ran great at high settings (not sure about Raytracing setting) 60+ all day long! Then came Starfield, on low settings I was getting 20-45fps, and things looked like crap, everything was blurry, jaggies were horendous, it was so fugly I couldn't play it. This was with FSR enabled, disabled and various other settings.
I don't understand why all the sudden I could not play the latest games on even the lowest of settings. There is no reason I kow of why it should look so bad and run so poorly. I installed the DLSS mod and image quality improved alot, on mediem settings i was about 45fps. mostly playable and visuals didn't want to make you puke.
Couple days ago I installed the Enshrouded Demo and things are the same as Starfield, (Not sure if it is also a Bethesda game or not but it also only has FSR) Same jaggies and washed out textures, it's like a permenant fog, like your running around with a really bad headache where you want to walk around the house with your eyes closed only to barely open them to make sure your not running into a wall.

Why is it all the sudden games only use FSR, Look so bad and run so horrible. Why can't I adjust the settings down to Cyberpunk 2077 medium settings visuals and get decent performance. Why does it have to look like things did back in Quake 1 days before I got the Diamond Monster 3d video card. (The video card was such a game changer for me when playing Unreal and Quake, the differance it made was huge!). Only reason I can think of is AMD wants to sell some $1500 video cards!
Why are you blaming AMD? Is this post satirical in nature? AMD doesn’t even sell a video card at a 1,500$ price point. It’s kind of a funny post unless it’s serious. If it’s serious it’s really sad.

Also FSR is multiplatform, not tied to DLSS.

But yeah, the issue is Bethesda and the fact that Starfield is total bullshit. You're literally better off playing Skyrim with mods, and that's free at this point.

The supposed story is that Starfield started life as a Vulcan game. When Microsoft purchased Bethesda, they forced them to move the game over to Direct X. The porting-over was not going well and at a pretty late stage, they made a deal with AMD, to help get the game in a shippable state (Because AMD made Mantle, which they gave to Kronos Group, whom used it as part of the basis for Vulcan. So the thought is that AMD would know best about how to port from Vulcan, I guess).

Why are you blaming AMD? Is this post satirical in nature? AMD doesn’t even sell a video card at a 1,500$ price point. It’s kind of a funny post unless it’s serious. If it’s serious it’s really sad.
My bad....Gigabyte $1500 AMD Video card...you are right, AMD doesn't sell video cards, they sell the GPU Chip that goes onto the video card that is made by others like Gigabyte.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If all you care about is that I got the price wrong of the GPU and the AMD "Branded" GPUs you are totally missing the point!
What is the point exactly? You’re upset that your old laptop is having a hard time running new games and you blame AMD? Not that you could put a new GPU in your laptop anyway but the highest end AMD gpu you can purchase new is a 7900 XTX and it’s 999$ straight from https://shop-us-en.amd.com/graphics-cards/

What’s next a new thread about how Gran Turismo 7 won’t run on your PlayStation 3 so you blame Nintendo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back