new game: Ground Branch

raygan_gamer

Limp Gawd
just an informal invitation to all about a game being developed by Blackfoot Studios, called Ground Branch.

So in behalf of John, here is his formal invitation

I would like to personally welcome you all to the BlackFoot Studios forums. We, as a studio, are dedicated to the absolute best in squad based tactical gaming. We have been in business since late 2004, concentrating on outsourcing art and programming work to various clients... Some fairly well known.

It is our opinion that the tactical gaming market has become fragmented and there is currently a void to be filled. We are dedicated to filling that void with the style of games that many would call "classic" tactical squad based gaming. There is still a huge market for this style of game and BlackFoot Studios is in a great position to capitalize on it.

BlackFoot Studios was founded on very specific principals on game design, level design and what makes a compelling, realistic and fun experience. We will put those principles into practice over the coming months on our initial project. Hopefully we can take the wraps off this project soon.

Until then, enjoy the forums and keep an eye out for more information relating to the studio and what we are up to.

-John Sonedecker
President/Owner BlackFoot Studios

Had my eye on this for a while. Will definately be picking it up once it's released.

I think most people who are into tactical shooters know about Ground Branch. For those who don't, the development team includes members who worked on the original Ghost Recon. Combine that with Hatchetforce's special operations experience and you have the seeds of one great game. Here's hoping it lives up to all of our expectations.

For a more in-depth preview, check out this.

I'll be keeping a close eye on this one for sure. I used to Mod for Ghost Recon back in the day and one of the Level editors used to be in my old Day of Defeat Clan. I hope this can fill in the gap between supposed Tactical shooters like R6 Vegas/ Ravenshield and overly tactical shooters like ArmA. GR and R6 on an updated engine sounds fantastic to me.

I'll be keeping a close eye on this one for sure. I used to Mod for Ghost Recon back in the day and one of the Level editors used to be in my old Day of Defeat Clan. I hope this can fill in the gap between supposed Tactical shooters like R6 Vegas/ Ravenshield and overly tactical shooters like ArmA. GR and R6 on an updated engine sounds fantastic to me.

I would love Rogue Spear with a new engine.

what mod did you work on?
thanks for spreading the word...hopefully Blackfoot Studio gets a publisher who respects his business mantra:
"Do not build your community around a game.... Build your game around a community"

thanks for spreading the word...hopefully Blackfoot Studio gets a publisher who respects his business mantra:
"Do not build your community around a game.... Build your game around a community"

War of Infamy. It was a WW2 Mod for Ghost Recon.

just brushing off some cobwebs

BFS_WarehouseGuys01.jpg

GB4.jpg

FAQs

join in, and tell them, the good Cpl Ledanek sent you :up:

OMG! I followed this game for years and finally thought it was over and never looked back.

Now this is a good surprise :)

EDIT: I can't believe they still have my profile. I just logged in and it was successful :D

^ same here. last I knew it was put on hold permanently, I haven't even visited the bfs forums since like 2008!

something is a brewing...stop by April 16th

--- again, favor, tell them Cpl Ledanek sent you :cool:

wtf ? unreal engine 2.5 ? :S

edit : my bad, just checked the forums, still the graphics are pretty mediocre judging by the screeshots, looks like americas army 2.X

wtf ? unreal engine 2.5 ? :S

edit : my bad, just checked the forums, still the graphics are pretty mediocre judging by the screeshots, looks like americas army 2.X

those screenshot are from the editor, not from the game, so rendering is not quite BF3/COD/CRYTEK standards

Plus, the game is not about eye-candy, but old school Unreal-Infiltration/GhostRecon/Rainbow Six (RSE---NOT Ubisoft)

Whens the last time you've seen a lean-peak (excluding ArMa);)

Saw the new screen shots. More to come on the 16th. Possibly there might be a public alpha/beta... not sure if it is only for those that donated though.

I have more faith in this project than I do for Serellan's.

'Jsonedecker' date='02 April 2012 - 04:15 PM' timestamp='1333397726' post='97347'
Yes, a demo is not coming on the 16th. That doesn't mean there's a possibility you won't see it in the near future though. :hi:

direct quote

FLASH

10CLEAR G10917Z APR10 SECRET BT

ALL STATIONS THIS NET BE ADVISED INTELLIGENCE TRAFFIC INBOUND. PENETRATION OF FRIENDLY COMMUNICATIONS IMMINENT.

ALL STATIONS THIS NET BE ADVISED TRANSMISSIONS FRAGMENTED DUE TO FIELD COMMO EQUIP MALFUNCTION, REPOSITIONING OF COMMO TRAFFIC PATTERN WILL COMMENCE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.

ALL STATIONS THIS NET BE ADVISED REPOSITION COMMO CHANNEL TO WWW.GROUNDBRANCH.COM.

STAND BY FOR FURTHER INTEL TRANSMISSIONS TO ALL STATIONS ON NEW CHANNEL

NEGATIVE FURTHER. BTAR

CLASSIFICATION: SECRET

CAVEATS: NONE

With authentic realism and gameplay based on intelligent strategy, fans of the first person shooter genre will once again experience a true tactical military experience that is hard to find in today’s gaming market. With all new content, never before seen screenshots and game footage, inside information and an extensive Questions & Answers section, BlackFoot Studios wants to bring Ground Branch back into the spotlight.

We are heading into the next phase of Ground Branch’s development and ready to go full steam into production. Soon we will be launching a Kickstarter campaign to support that effort and will need all of your support to make sure it is a success. We have all been waiting a long time for this chance, so let’s make it happen! To thank you all for your continued support we are releasing a Kickstarter Teaser video below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjyIyBGljdY&hd=1

That's it?...they hyped up today just to announce this? I feel like I've just been kicked in the nuts! :(

for a 2-man operation.... yes

you know another Indie Game Dev that works for the DOD who makes military game?

That's it?...they hyped up today just to announce this? I feel like I've just been kicked in the nuts! :(

better than nothing.. they did say it was just a teaser after all. hopefully the kickstarter video has some juicy info in it.

It was a failed Kickstarter, but they kept working on it...will definitely check it out at some point. Probably will wait for some opinions on the early access.

LOL this was 7 years in development...?

Yes and no. Yes it started out a long time ago, but was put on hold due to lack of publishers/funding. These types of games don't sell well enough for someone big enough to fund it, especially at a time when CoD 4 became a big hit. So it was put on hold multiple times while the main guy behind the project took other jobs. Some of which involved working on military/government projects if I recall as well as TWI's Rising Storm.

Now the game is essentially being rebuilt on UE4. It was one of the earlier UE3 projects, but it was probably a good move to switch to a newer engine. Currently there are two guys working on it part time, though this will change eventually and they will work on it full time. Some animators are helping (they did work for ArmA 3). The plan is to get a full time on full time as they get more money. They certainly are an "indie" developer.

The Technical Preview certainly is not impressive and you can't really do much in it. Once the builds start adding more content I'll probably buy into the $15 early access. At least these guys come out and actually list tactical shooter features and say "yes it will be in this game", unlike the other half ass games like ArmA which fail to deliver constantly.

This still (yet again) in its current incarnation looks interesting though at this point i would wait until there is a finished product before putting any real money toward it.

This still (yet again) in its current incarnation looks interesting though at this point i would wait until there is a finished product before putting any real money toward it.

Good news is you can try the Tech Preview for free, even if it hardly includes anything. The Early Access build has more content and will be updated regularly. Every week or so. They still have a long way to go.

That sounds really really good on paper, but totally falls apart in execution.

Democracy doesn't work. There needs to be a clear vision, a decider, and then the execution of the plan. Coming out to say "well, we will do what the community wants" will create chaos as there will always be the vocal minority that is yelling the loudest about something or other.

I am the community, I want graphics that aren't from the early 2000's, how's that for building it around the community?

Democracy doesn't work. There needs to be a clear vision, a decider, and then the execution of the plan. Coming out to say "well, we will do what the community wants" will create chaos as there will always be the vocal minority that is yelling the loudest about something or other.

I am the community, I want graphics that aren't from the early 2000's, how's that for building it around the community?

Well in this case the graphics are top notch already and it's using the latest UE4 engine. Not good enough?

Last edited:

They take a lot of input from the community. In particular, the shooting/moving controls are going to be a good bit different from regular shooters. While it may seem intuitive to them, it may seem clunky to us. So they'll ask for our input. But they won't sacrifice their vision/basic frame work. But modding support, ect. is certainly helpful for the community.

Graphically it will probably be decent. Doubt it will be AAA quality, but it should look good enough given it is using UE4.

Here are some screen shots some users took:

http://i.imgur.com/ufFRbO8.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/q4GE8kd.jpg

Still a long way to go even graphically, but I think it will look good enough when the final product ships.

They take a lot of input from the community. In particular, the shooting/moving controls are going to be a good bit different from regular shooters. While it may seem intuitive to them, it may seem clunky to us. So they'll ask for our input. But they won't sacrifice their vision/basic frame work. But modding support, ect. is certainly helpful for the community.

Graphically it will probably be decent. Doubt it will be AAA quality, but it should look good enough given it is using UE4.

Here are some screen shots some users took:

http://i.imgur.com/ufFRbO8.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/q4GE8kd.jpg

Still a long way to go even graphically, but I think it will look good enough when the final product ships.

I would expect it'll improve if they get enough to add more people. There's some textures that look damn impressive and others that look old. For example, the helmet/glove/gun/vest texture looks hires. The uniform texture looks muddy/lowres. Minor things like that will probably be corrected down the road. The upper body of the operator looks good, but something bugs me (doesn't look right) about the lower body.

This whole time has been spent on getting the core framework in place, all the coded little details needed a back end for them to plug into. I can imagine once they start pumping out gear and levels, things will improve. They'll be able to focus on the graphic details like they did the technical ones.

Back