New extra large -bigadv on Beta

Nathan_P

[H]ard DCOTM x3
Kasson is soon to be launching a new -bigadv project to the beta team,

To say that this is a bit larger is an understatement, and also scope out the hints on his latest post in that thread.

Bigadv is getting bigger

For the lazy... ;)

Because the work units are a bit larger, we are setting higher memory and processor limits:
2G RAM, 12 cores
We may adjust both of these as necessary.
We'll also start these work units out as 64-bit Linux only.

Initial points values and deadlines are similarly subject to change but currently stand at:
Base points: 30964
Deadline: 17 days
Preferred deadline: 10.2 days
k-factor: 26.86

wonder what that comes out to with bonus points

also wondering just how long that would take my 16 thread boxen to fold

Kasson is soon to be launching a new -bigadv project to the beta team,

To say that this is a bit larger is an understatement, and also scope out the hints on his latest post in that thread.

Bigadv is getting bigger

OK, so I have five machines ready for this and soon six if one includes HT "cores"

But what kind of wild points do these give? 10 days? Scary if one fails since a capable machine likely loses 0.5-3.5M points in the process.

But what kind of wild points do these give? 10 days? Scary if one fails since a capable machine likely loses 0.5-3.5M points in the process.

that's why it will be released under "advmethods" , since risk involved.
as for PPD it is hit and miss when it comes to advmethod WUs.

Did I just get a reason to keep my SR-2 a bit longer?

by ChasR » Tue May 31, 2011 10:23 pm

Is this the beginning of a trend? Should -bigadv folders reconsider their planned 2600K (or Bulldozer) purchases?

by kasson » Tue May 31, 2011 11:56 pm

Hard to say--bigadv is an onging experiment. If these work units are successful, however, there is a fairly broad set of related problems we'd like to look at. So if it works out I'd expect a fair number of similar projects. I wouldn't leap to any purchase decisions, but if these test out successfully, bigadv availability may over time shift towards this type of project.

Interesting. And nice that my 12 core SR2s are considered minimum :p

Interesting. And nice that my 12 core SR2s are considered minimum :p

Well we don't know what TPF looks like yet but technically wouldn't any intel hex be a minimum? The client is looking for 12 cores in os, it shouldn't care if they are 'real' or hyperthreaded as long as performance is fast enough.

Definitely wouldn't be a welcome shift for 2600k owners. I also wonder how they would handle the dual requiremnts, it would seem they would need separate flags for machines that are 8 thread capable versus those that are 12 thread capable.

there goes my dual quad on sr2..not qualified :(

well the 4P owners will be happy abt this.

there goes my dual quad on sr2..not qualified :(

well the 4P owners will be happy abt this.

i dont think dual quad on SR2 good choice for folding. SR2 board alone can budget a high end 2600K system and that can out performance your 2xquad.

Either step away (sell and buy 2600k or x79) or step up (low end hex and Oc)

i dont think dual quad on SR2 good choice for folding. SR2 board alone can budget a high end 2600K system and that can out performance your 2xquad.

Either step away (sell and buy 2600k or x79) or step up (low end hex and Oc)

i know but i have an sr2 with quads when it first came out, there was no 2600k in market then.

As said, PG has always looked at virtual cores or threads to count, not physical.

So a quad SR-2 with 16 threads should be fine.

Well damn, I guess this is a sign that bigadv will probably shift again at some point. I am looking in awe at the bonus deadline, because that must mean that these are frickin huge work units. I guess my Bloomfield won't be able to crunch the extrabigadv stuff, but hopefully my Gulftown isn't obsolete yet.

Any idea when these might hit? That super long preferred deadline alone makes me afraid to commit to something like this even if my Gulftown is capable. It sounds like this is the work unit you lucky 48 core Magny folks have been waiting for :)

I've been thinking they where going to up the requiremets for -bigadv for a while now.

When a "standard" non overclocked chip can do -bigadv, it is time to move.

I don't see bigadv becoming more mainstream as a problem. I'd wadger that the majority of these units are crunched by over-clocked i7's than the more exotic hardware.

I've been thinking they where going to up the requiremets for -bigadv for a while now.

When a "standard" non overclocked chip can do -bigadv, it is time to move.

If only Intel would sympathize with us folders and offer us a more reasonably priced Gulftown :mad:

It saddens me that my Bloomfield is already becoming obsolete for bigadv purposes, but those Gulftowns are still outrageously priced............

I'm hoping Intel are nice with the price of the second batch of Sandybridges, as they were with the first. For instance, the i7-2600k were a direct replacement for the i7-960's (yeah one less memory channel, but higher clocks & IPC) , yet 50% cheaper! But think it maybe worth waiting for the Ivy's which will offer more for less watts

I don't see bigadv becoming more mainstream as a problem. I'd wadger that the majority of these units are crunched by over-clocked i7's than the more exotic hardware.
well, its kind of a problem because the point wasn't that mainstream users would fold these. It was always the intention of the bigadv project to be the cutting edge, high priority, and heavy duty units that were above and beyond the scope of a) the normal project and b) normal hardware. If "normal" hardware can handle bigadv units, then its time to trickle those down to other people and move on to bigger and better things for bigadv

I'm just afraid non dedicated boxen won't be able to handle these.

Looks like this will be even more motivation to move my WHS to a linux VM.

Now if only -superbigadv comes with the release of a native 64 bit client so the uber rigs that will be running these dont run out of memory! (think interlagos 4P 64 cores by end of this year).

Kasson is stating that these will be available within the next couple of days

24 thread SR-2 systems and above should gobble these WU up.

Bring it!

Kasson is stating that these will be available within the next couple of days

Damn, and it is only going to be available on Linux initially :(

I'm curious to see whether my [email protected] could crunch one of these. Do we know yet when the regular -bigadv stuff will come to an end?

Damn, and it is only going to be available on Linux initially :(

I'm curious to see whether my [email protected] could crunch one of these. Do we know yet when the regular -bigadv stuff will come to an end?

I have a feeling that might be what is going on now with the current shortages.

I think this is a conspiracy to offset the launch of BullDozer 8 cores. That's ok, because I'm still buying two!

Damn you Intel! :D and your hideous little plots to control folders!!!!!

<Fanboy rant off> :cool:

I think this is a conspiracy to offset the launch of BullDozer 8 cores. That's ok, because I'm still buying two!

New minimum number of logical core required for bigadv - 17... :p

mmmmmmm Bigga units.... now if only my 5970 could fetch a regular bigadv to chew on...

Back