New Eee PC 900

Love-Man

Limp Gawd
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2008/04/15/unboxing_the_asus_eee_pc_900/1

Bit-Tech has an unboxing of the new Eee PC 900.

I love the new larger screen. And the multi-touch trackpad is sweet. It is probably the only feature I like on the macs.

I think I will be holding out until they equip them with a better CPU. It would seem an atom version is coming out sometime this summer.

I look forward to seeing the reviews for this pop up online.

Any thoughts?

Interesting. Just looking to see the base price. Why does the desktop still move?!?!!?

No worries. I'm sure EEEUSER will have some guys working on stuff soon.

I still would like the CPU to be a tad stronger. It's what killed it for me.

It would seem an atom version is coming out sometime this summer.

Any thoughts?

Well now I can't decide whether to buy a 900 or wait for yet another iteration lol. I only just managed to hold back from a 4/8g because of the speculation (at the time) about a larger screen-ed version. That was the killer for me, I'm not so worried about the cpu for my intended uses so I suspect I'll pick up a 900, assuming you can actually find them in stock (in black) at launch.

I'm also going to wait (as if I have a choice) since I already have an Eee 701 (4G). As I understand, the first Eee 900's will have the same hardware except for the 8.9" screen and will be released in Asia and Europe. When they come to North America they'll have the new Atom hardware in them.

IIRC the atom was benched as being about the same speed as the celeron900 in the current model. You'd get marginally better power consumption, but in normal use the CPU isn't the primary power drain in a laptop anyway.

I;m actually lot more interested in ECS competitor - 10,2" screen with Atom and HDD FTW.

I'm so waiting on the Atom based eee 900 along with the supposed svelte New York inspired redesign.

Good links in this thread.

Can someone clarify "atom version" for me please?

Good links in this thread.

Can someone clarify "atom version" for me please?

the current 900s are all still using the same celeron cpu as in the 701. In about two months though, asus is doing a refresh of the 900 (which was supposed to be the original 900 release, but they shifted it forward), with an intel atom cpu in it, which is basically a completely new (yet fully x86 up to sse3 compatible) chip, designed to run in a very very very low power envelope

if i can pick up a linux based 900 for under 400 euros, ill do it right away!, 450 might be debatable, but higher then that and ill probably just get a 701

Looking here:
http://users.erols.com/chare/elec.htm

I'm guessing they use one of the 5W versions of the celeron M ? If so power savings may be next to nothing.

The larger screen sounds great; hopefully the price will go down a fair bit before it hits the states.

Nice improvement on the screen, but I'll have to wait just like the others for a better CPU.

A 900mhz Celeron is just unacceptable. That frequency debuted 7 years ago in 2001. If the 901 had at the least a 1.5ghz Celeron M or a lowly Pentium M, I would have bought one. The battery life sucks too.

Might as well wait until a bunch of competitors release their machines in the summer.

A 900mhz Celeron is just unacceptable.

Unacceptable for what? It's actually a 900MHz Celeron clocked at 630MHz, and it's perfectly acceptable for what it's designed to be, an ultra portable sub-notebook for travel and internet use. If you want something faster, in the same size and weight class as the EeePC, you're not going to find it for $400-500.

Unacceptable for what? It's actually a 900MHz Celeron clocked at 630MHz, and it's perfectly acceptable for what it's designed to be, an ultra portable sub-notebook for travel and internet use. If you want something faster, in the same size and weight class as the EeePC, you're not going to find it for $400-500.

Or you could wait a few months like he said.

But they're asking $550....not $400. You'll see a competitor come out with a model with a much better processor very soon at $500 or lower. Not only for clock speed, but to increase battery life. The battery life needs to be improved to at least 5 hours. 3 hours is pathetic for an ultraportable.

Lots of similar machines will be out soon. Just give it 2 months MAX and there will be ultraportables with better specs for cheaper.

But they're asking $550....not $400. You'll see a competitor come out with a model with a much better processor very soon at $500 or lower. Not only for clock speed, but to increase battery life. The battery life needs to be improved to at least 5 hours. 3 hours is pathetic for an ultraportable.

Lots of similar machines will be out soon. Just give it 2 months MAX and there will be ultraportables with better specs for cheaper.

Thats for the XP model, not the linux model.

And you dont know for fact, that there will be better models, for cheaper, in two months.

And you dont know for fact, that there will be better models, for cheaper, in two months.

I'll bet you $5 paypal :)

As for the XP and Linux model price differences, take a look at this taken from a review at VR-ZONE:

"The EeePC is finally available off the shelves with Windows XP Home preinstalled, and at the same prices as the Linux version........hey wait, did we mention that the Windows version comes with a total of 12GB of SSD storage, wheras the Linux rendition of the Eee 900 comes with 20Gb of SSD Storage? We'll leave it to the individual consumers to weigh the pros and cons of the two different versions available, and meanwhile, we'll sum up this article nicely with our usual VR Marks."

You'll be sacrificing a little less storage with the Windows version.

They really need to at least put CPUs with Speedstep. Since the CPUs in the Eee are soldered on, you can forget upgrading unless you are a soldering guru.

I wonder how much it is costing Asus to buy these Celeron 353 CPUs. They are the lowest ULV spec'd CPUs available. Cost ~$140 for quantitites of 1,000 in 2004.

I wont be here in two months to collect the $5. Its not going to happen. Also, the chances are pretty good you can get the linux model with a smaller HD, for cheaper.

what type of work do you guys plan to do that would require a more robust cpu. I plan to get one to use it for coding (matlab and python), starcraft and surfing; with this use would it be better to hold out for the atom for will the 900mhz celeron be fine?

is that keyboard large enough to bang out code?

I've been hoping for a bestbuy or something nearby to stock one so I could get a feel for it.

I don't know about the keyboard but it should be fine for Starcraft and now that I think about it that'd be pretty sweet as well as a crappy laptop to take to school.

i dont understand the weird resolution, other then that id probably get one asap. waiting for other options.

When these come to the states, and I have cash, I will pick one up day 1. I held out on purchasing the old one because of the screen size and I was picky about the small storage and ring around the screen (speakers) but now it is a for sure buy!

is that keyboard large enough to bang out code?

I've been hoping for a bestbuy or something nearby to stock one so I could get a feel for it.

it's about 80% normal size. I found it unusable for touch type but I have very large hands.

Do you have fat bear hands or are your hands just scaled up? Can you palm a basketball?

I just have really big hands. I don't have a bball to try, but I can span from the ~ to the = key with my hand streched and can press ~ and - at once with the same hand (pinky and thumb). If you look at the giant $80-100 mice MS and logitec have that are too big for most peoples hands, they're a perfect fit for mine. Flat on the table (palm down arm up) my hand is 8"x4.75" in size.

Also just let you guys know MSI has in the works a 10inch low cost notebook with a 8.9 inch LED screen, 2.5 inch HD, and other hardware. This market is really heating up.

Back