New Christmas build, torn between FX6100 and Saindy Bridge 2500

Guys please remember that my heart is with AMD....

The FX4100 is very well priced.

The title of this thread is... well, and I say this with a smile on my face and completely good-naturedly but the thread title is a lie :D. You aren't torn at all. You want a Bulldozer. You just had the vast majority of responders confirm something you didn't really, truly want to hear. That's all that's happened here.;)

Cognitive dissonance is tough.

I usually don't swap CPU's, I build every 2-3 years... I'm 38 now so I don't game much anymore, but I would like to buy Starcraft 2 and start playing Napoleon Total War.. But my days of hardcore gaming are over.

You sound like just because you're "38 now", you're about to roll over and die.... Lighten up man...;) Anyways, if you already had a motherboard capable of supporting BD, then it's would be an easy choice... But since you're looking at going mobo/CPU combo, Intel is the obvious choice for power, and efficiency now, and probably will extend that lead with Ivy Bridge next year... So as much as you wanna support AMD, this time around they really don't deserve it....:eek:

Those performance reviews

Crysis 2
i7 2600K 44.2
FX 6100 37.8
FX 410039.8

Dirt 3
i72600K 119.9
FX6100 95.9
FX4100 89.6

If that is the difference, then I think that i'll be able to live with an FX.

The title of this thread is... well, and I say this with a smile on my face and completely good-naturedly but the thread title is a lie :D. You aren't torn at all. You want a Bulldozer. You just had the vast majority of responders confirm something you didn't really, truly want to hear. That's all that's happened here.;)

Cognitive dissonance is tough.

Yes I am very biased towards AMD, as a former Mac user my first PC build was an Athlon 64, although I understand that Intel also makes great chips, I'm looking for a reason to stay AMD, I'm not a hardcore gamers anymore but I do still build my systems.

Yes I am very biased towards AMD, as a former Mac user my first PC build was an Athlon 64, although I understand that Intel also makes great chips, I'm looking for a reason to stay AMD, I'm not a hardcore gamers anymore but I do still build my systems.

Yet you post gaming scores that mostly "hardcore gamers" are looking at to decide what CPU to get... You really need to make up your mind....:rolleyes:

Yet you post gaming scores that mostly "hardcore gamers" are looking at to decide what CPU to get... You really need to make up your mind....:rolleyes:

I posted scores from a website that was posted in the thread... Gaming specs are a decent indicator of processor performance...

I don't roll my eyes, i'm not a Democrat...

I don't roll my eyes, i'm not a Democrat...

e07ea09e-f42f-41ad-be28-fe407b74033b.jpg

If you are set on an AMD build, I would go with either a Phenom II x4 or x6 for now, and wait on the B3 revision FX chips, as it may fix some of the issues that currently exist with the B2 chips.

Also, it seems as though some of the board makers are having issues with the change in AMD's AGESA code for the FX line.

(Emphasis added for those that may chime in with "B3 won't be some magical stepping that will make BD competitive", or something along those lines.)

So why are you asking for advice then if you have your mind made up... :rolleyes:

There are better options out there then BD but like a true AMD fan boy u ain't going to listen to common sense...so what was the point of this thread?

So why are you asking for advice then if you have your mind made up... :rolleyes:

There are better options out there then BD but like a true AMD fan boy u ain't going to listen to common sense...so what was the point of this thread?

What would the best intel option in the 175 range?

look up, you're in the AMD section. go to the intel section if this section of the forum bothers you.

I build a new main rig every 3 years around Christmas time, Components age and I don't want to deal with down time, things break as they get older...

The only thing likely to break after 3yrs is the hard drive and cooling fans, even then that's pretty unlikely. Anything non mechanical should be good long after that with normal use. Building fresh just because its been X amount of time is a waste of money. In the end its your money. You will see a larger "jump" in performance with an SSD over any new processor given your intended use. If you must get new then yes an i3-2100 will outpace an FX4100.

look up, you're in the AMD section. go to the intel section if this section of the forum bothers you.

LOL...wut? Did you read the OP's replies to everything Intel related...he specifically asked about BD compared to Intel 2500 so we gave him our opinions...I think you need to deal with it better if my replies bother you. get out of the AMD section more. :p

you don't come into the amd section and call people amd fanboys.

common courtesy that apparently flies over your head.

you don't come into the amd section and call people amd fanboys.

common courtesy that apparently flies over your head.

I replied with the correct analogy that fit the OP's responses to common sense answers about what to get. If something else fits please enlighten me otherwise I'll stick with what I wrote. Deal with it...

Starcraft 2 is one of the games that bulldozer will be at its worst. Some games like you posted, the benchmarks will be close, but I want to say 20ish fps give or take between a bulldozer chip and the i5 2500 in SC2.

You're not torn. You're just an instigator.

Your last two threads on the subject of Bulldozer have been:

The exact same thread as this, except with the FX 4100. I notice how you quickly dropped that idea after you saw how pathetic performance was.

A Bulldozer cheer leading thread where you complained about complaining.

Yeah, I'm sure you're "torn," just as torn as I am about whether or not to add you to my ignore list :rolleyes:

See ya.

x2

OP if your heart is with AMD, get an AMD chip set and be done. No point starting another thread about which you should get involving Intel's SB or AMD's BD.

x2

OP if your heart is with AMD, get an AMD chip set and be done. No point starting another thread about which you should get involving Intel's SB or AMD's BD.

Don't even bother...apparently this topic is too sensitive for "some" forum posters that are way too loyal to a certain company's product. I've had AMD systems myself but going with the 2500 is such a no brainer...

I say keep what ya got. Bump your multiplier up to 15x in the bios.Get this cooler http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835200056 Now you have 3.0GHZ quad, and I bet cooler temps than that stock was providing you all these years. ;) You might not even have to touch the Vcore in the bios. If you have to bump the voltage up from like 1.30 to 1.35-1.40.

Next get this graphics card it will make your movies load 2x as faster and game near 2x faster, prob load your browser a few milliseconds faster with the gddr5 and higher clocked gpu core. Also with the MSI cooler Twin Frozer 2 you will never see 60 temps on your GPU EVER. 40's- and 50's with a heavy game load, and your gpu will idle @ around 30 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127545

Now if your not really into games but want to play a game why not get a 40GB SSD for windows and Starcraft 2. And put all your movie etc files on the Seagates?

Bracket http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817812011

SSD http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167044

Basically 320.00 for all that and you WILL see a significant overall performance jump. You get Dirt 3 with that graphics card also.

If you were to purchase a FX4100 you would burn up 130.00 and most likely close to 70.00 on a mobo. 200.00. A new build would also equal 30-50 for memory. Just forget all that and save 250.00. When your Phenoms OC'd it's most likely going to outperform that 4100, seriously. Don't go that way.

Last edited:
Wow this thread got ugly in a hurry. As with any thread, OP has a right to ask for opinions. We all do right? I don't think he was instigating. I just think his cognitive dissonance is working him over. Deep down, based on everything he has read and the opinions he keeps receiving, he is probably thinking he should really consider Intel but, as he said, he is very attached to AMD. Nothing wrong with that except that it does make for a funny thread. Perhaps all of this will convince him not to bother even considering Intel in the future. Makes life a whole lot easier.

I get this, I wouldn't want to buy intel unless forced either, I think you should just wait another year, why not spend this years build money on a kickass ips panel or something.

Next year pile driver will be out and a lot of the problems will be ironed out (kind of like phenom 1 vs 2)

he is probably thinking he should really consider Intel but, as he said, he is very attached to AMD. Nothing wrong with that except that it does make for a funny thread. Perhaps all of this will convince him not to bother even considering Intel in the future. Makes life a whole lot easier.

I disagree, being "faithful" to a company is silly. Why would you spend money on something with less performance? :confused::confused:

Then just admit you are buying worse solution because of fanboy mentality and get Bulldozer.

Honestly what's the point in asking if you can't accept results ?

Through I'm not really sure why would you care about multi bilion corporations well being over your own wallet ;)

amd_fx-8150_gry_-_starcraft_2_-_4-596x513.png

Well at least your energy consumption meter will run much faster with BD ;)

amd_fx-8150_pobor_energii_-_starcraft_ii-596x418.png

Last edited:
Maybe you can explain why you still post that garbage Michaelius?

He is talking about 4100 or 6100 and not FX8150 overclocked.
You posted 2 meaningless pictures with out any regard for what the person in question is looking for ?

All of your pics have overclocked examples 1 at 4.2 ghz and the other to 4.8ghz which both 4100 and 6100 wont get with 8c8t..

If you only helped the person in question with posting accurate information instead of your xx wasted result on bashing the crap out of bulldozer.

If you checked hardocp results on the overclock they did it does draw extra power but as much as your freak benchmarks.

Hint:
The lower part of the graph has stock settings.

You know the one where it says FX-8150 3,6-4,2

Hint2: FX-8150 is not going to get slower than 6100 in any scenario - this should be even acceptable for your fanboy mind.

You also forgot to play the "you won't notice difference at 8000x4000 resolution" fanboy card :D

So basiically if I go with an FX 4100 or 6100 and get a modest Radeon Vid card, I should do ok With general usage, Netflix HD movies, Blu Ray Movies and Starcraft 2 once in a While.

I simply cannot wrap my mind around going with the dual core Sandy Bridge 2100 and I think that the 2500 is a bit overpriced, but thats Intel for you.

Hint:
The lower part of the graph has stock settings.

You know the one where it says FX-8150 3,6-4,2

Hint2: FX-8150 is not going to get slower than 6100 in any scenario - this should be even acceptable for your fanboy mind.

And still you are forgetting that the FX6100 is a 3 module part.

So basiically if I go with an FX 4100 or 6100 and get a modest Radeon Vid card, I should do ok With general usage, Netflix HD movies, Blu Ray Movies and Starcraft 2 once in a While.

I simply cannot wrap my mind around going with the dual core Sandy Bridge 2100 and I think that the 2500 is a bit overpriced, but thats Intel for you.

Yes if you don't mind that you will be bottlenecked when you upgrade you video card and your computere will double duty as space heater for your room yes:D

If You had read the thread you would realize a video card upgrade will more than likely not be on the table, the ops most demanding task is sc2...

Heat wise it won't be any worse than the Current phonon he has...

Yes if you don't mind that you will be bottlenecked when you upgrade you video card and your computere will double duty as space heater for your room yes:D

I say keep what ya got. Bump your multiplier up to 15x in the bios.Get this cooler http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835200056 Now you have 3.0GHZ quad, and I bet cooler temps than that stock was providing you all these years. ;) You might not even have to touch the Vcore in the bios. If you have to bump the voltage up from like 1.30 to 1.35-1.40.

Next get this graphics card it will make your movies load 2x as faster and game near 2x faster, prob load your browser a few milliseconds faster with the gddr5 and higher clocked gpu core. Also with the MSI cooler Twin Frozer 2 you will never see 60 temps on your GPU EVER. 40's- and 50's with a heavy game load, and your gpu will idle @ around 30 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127545

Now if your not really into games but want to play a game why not get a 40GB SSD for windows and Starcraft 2. And put all your movie etc files on the Seagates?

Bracket http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817812011

SSD http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167044

Basically 320.00 for all that and you WILL see a significant overall performance jump. You get Dirt 3 with that graphics card also.

If you were to purchase a FX4100 you would burn up 130.00 and most likely close to 70.00 on a mobo. 200.00. A new build would also equal 30-50 for memory. Just forget all that and save 250.00. When your Phenoms OC'd it's most likely going to outperform that 4100, seriously. Don't go that way.

Rosewill @ Newegg.com all HEATSINKS 25% off today code: EMCJJKG26

http://promotions.newegg.com/neemai...NEFL110311-_-EMC-110311-Index-_-E0C-_-PSU#PSU

Yeah that's my whole point 8 core part loses to i3 2100, 6 core part will be even worse or in best case scenario as bad as FX-8150.

What point ?

You post stuff about SC II which is ?
Then you post another picture about power usage with a comment about it which doesn't make sense.

Your comment that FX8150 octa core loses to I3 2100 is so informative , with what power usage or did you find another weird site with benchmarks?

Why don't you posts those benchmarks that were done with the FX6100 ?

Because he cant understand that the Op would not want to buy an intel

What point ?

You post stuff about SC II which is ?
Then you post another picture about power usage with a comment about it which doesn't make sense.

Your comment that FX8150 octa core loses to I3 2100 is so informative , with what power usage or did you find another weird site with benchmarks?

Why don't you posts those benchmarks that were done with the FX6100 ?

Back