New Christmas build, torn between FX6100 and Saindy Bridge 2500

thomasward00

Limp Gawd
I'm at the 3 year build cycle...

My current system is a Phenom 1 9950 BE, never overclocked... 8 Gigs of DDR2...

Main uses are Surfing and Video.. Netflix and or Blu Ray.

With my new build, I will be going with a quality Micro ATX MB, 8 Gigs of ram, I will NOT be overclocking in any way and will be going with a 100 dollar ish Video Card...

Will be playing a few games, but not much, mostly general use and Netflix HD...

How much of a boost would an i5 Sandy Bridge 2500 give me over the FX6100, keep in mind that my Phenom 9950 is still a fairly quick processor in my eyes...

If I do go with the FX6100, what is the most rock solid Micro ATX MB available for that processor, I am NOT looking to OC at all.

2500 hands down, the only regret you may have would not paying the extra 10-15 dollars for a 2500k. you might even want to consider the i3-2100

2500 hands down, the only regret you may have would not paying the extra 10-15 dollars for a 2500k. you might even want to consider the i3-2100

Would an i3 2100 be faster than a Phenom 1 9950 BE Quad?

I'd hate to step back to a dual from a quad.

the i3 has hyper threading so it still can handle 4 threads at a time.

To be completely honest you would prolly be a good candidate for a Amd A8-3850

Faster cpu than your current, with built in 100$ Graphics card performance.

The i3 would be equally nice with a discrete graphics card, based on your use. However will be a bit more expensive.

For surfing the net and netflix and a rare game i wouldn't see a need to go with a i5 2500. Amd a8-3850- no need for discrete graphics card

or Intel i3 2100 with a budget discrete graphics card.

The amd a8 system overall would save a bit more power vs intel with discrete card. However wouldn't be as fast of a cpu. The Intel system would have more cpu muscle but would cosume a bit more power with discrete card, and bit a bit more expensive.

Other notes make sure you install windows 64bit to take advantage of more than 4gb of ram.

I went with the intel considering they don't have many Matx 990X/FX boards :(

the i3 has hyper threading so it still can handle 4 threads at a time.

To be completely honest you would prolly be a good candidate for a Amd A8-3850

Faster cpu than your current, with built in 100$ Graphics card performance.

The i3 would be equally nice with a discrete graphics card, based on your use. However will be a bit more expensive.

For surfing the net and netflix and a rare game i wouldn't see a need to go with a i5 2500. Amd a8-3850- no need for discrete graphics card

or Intel i3 2100 with a budget discrete graphics card.

The amd a8 system overall would save a bit more power vs intel with discrete card. However wouldn't be as fast of a cpu. The Intel system would have more cpu muscle but would cosume a bit more power with discrete card, and bit a bit more expensive.

Other notes make sure you install windows 64bit to take advantage of more than 4gb of ram.

it's definitely not as powerful as a $100 video card

Personally, if I were building an mATX build, I'd go with this;

LIAN LI PC-V354B - $130
i5-2400 (since you're not overclocking) - $190
Noctua NH-C12P - $75
8GB G Skill sniper 1600mhz - $47
SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W - $90
XFX 6770 - $110
ASRock Z68M/USB3 - $90

Total = $732 without hard drives/dvd drive/ssd/windows 7. Could re-use if you want, grab a cheap sata gp/s SSD for caching with the Z68 board to increase speeds by a butt-ton without breaking the bank.

The reason why I suggest such expensive stuff is because, well, you want this to run super fast for 3 years right? That Lian Li case is one of the best mATX cases I've seen, supports ATX PSU's and long graphics cards (6970). i5-2400 because you want it to stay strong for years. Also, I chose that CPU cooler because it's one of the few coolers that fit in the Lian Li case I suggested, and the best. Heat is a problem in small cases so you'll want the best cooling you can get, which is also why a modular PSU is a must.

Better to spend the money now than be screwed and have to spend even more money later down the line, right?

Thats exactly what I am building.....but with that case, a modular PSU will really help it not be a rats nest! :) For $30 more you can get the 650 100% modular seasonic.

I'm at the 3 year build cycle...

My current system is a Phenom 1 9950 BE, never overclocked... 8 Gigs of DDR2...

Main uses are Surfing and Video.. Netflix and or Blu Ray.

With my new build, I will be going with a quality Micro ATX MB, 8 Gigs of ram, I will NOT be overclocking in any way and will be going with a 100 dollar ish Video Card...

Will be playing a few games, but not much, mostly general use and Netflix HD...

How much of a boost would an i5 Sandy Bridge 2500 give me over the FX6100, keep in mind that my Phenom 9950 is still a fairly quick processor in my eyes...

If I do go with the FX6100, what is the most rock solid Micro ATX MB available for that processor, I am NOT looking to OC at all.
If all you're doing is Netflix and a couple games the current system should suffice. Save yourself some money!

Do not get the FX-6100, that is an epic failure of a CPU, even the 1090T is better. The 2500 will wipe the floor with the FX-6100.

If all you're doing is Netflix and a couple games the current system should suffice. Save yourself some money!

Exactly. You already said your current system still feels quick. There is no reason to buy a whole new setup just because a certain amount of time has passed. If you want a little boost go buy a 90GB+ SSD and load your OS and programs on it. Hold out till next summer. You'll have a lot more upgrade options.

^^^ That!
.... and if you're "NOT Overclocking" you really need to be on Yahoo Forums or some other lame BB...... C'mon people... this is [H]!!!!!!

As much as it hurts me to admit, there is no reason at all that I can think of to buy an AMD processor for a new build if your proc budget is over $100. The little i3 beats any AMD in gaming benchmarks and the i5 shreds anything AMD period. If you're needing a super budget build then the Athlon II line becomes an option. But over $100, you gotta go with Intel.

Are you guys telling me that a dual core I3 Sandy Bridge with a modest vid card will be faster than a 9950 BE Quad Phenom?

How about general system performance, Netflix HD, Hulu HD, Blu Ray movies....

The only game that I have is Napoleon Total War, I'm also thinking about Starcraft 2...

Would an i3 be faster for all of that over a 6 core 4100?

Exactly. You already said your current system still feels quick. There is no reason to buy a whole new setup just because a certain amount of time has passed. If you want a little boost go buy a 90GB+ SSD and load your OS and programs on it. Hold out till next summer. You'll have a lot more upgrade options.

I build a new main rig every 3 years around Christmas time, Components age and I don't want to deal with down time, things break as they get older...

Are you guys telling me that a dual core I3 Sandy Bridge with a modest vid card will be faster than a 9950 BE Quad Phenom?

The only game that I have is Napoleon Total War, I'm also thinking about Starcraft 2...

Did you NOT read any of the 100+ reviews on the Bulldozer line out there...???? :confused:

My 4yr old "Core 2 Duo" laptop CPU would probably be faster than a dual-core FX4100...:eek:

I'll ask this question, Would an i3 2100 Sandy Bridge with a modest video card be much faster than my current Phenom 1 9950 BE? In general usage AND games?

Thanks

Would an i3 2100 Sandy Bridge with a modest video card be much faster than my current Phenom 1 9950 BE? In general usage AND games?

Significantly faster on both questions.

yes.

but for the price you should stick with AMD, it's clear you don't need bleeding edge performance, you can snag a decent little 990 chipset board and have an upgrade path for later on, just drop in a bulldozer or whatever.

You really would be a good candidate for a llano build too, but that would limit your upgrade path.

Uhh...yes.....the 9950 is slow compared to any of todays current chips...

Uhh...yes.....the 9950 is slow compared to any of todays current chips...

So would an FX 4100 or 6100 be much faster than my current Phenom 1?

Would the FX4100 with a modest Radeon perform well with Starcraft 2 and Napoleon Total War?

Assuming that I go with the FX4100 or 6100, can anyone recommend a rock solid stable Micro ATX MoBo?

I would prefer Asus

When pigs can fly :)

Wait....w00t!!!!!

nvw35v.png

:D:D:D:D:D:D

yes both of those AMD processors are faster than a first gen phenom.

Just get a 990 chipset micro atx board, asus is fine, I prefer gigabyte these days, anything in the ultradurable line.

Wouldn't he be better served with a good Phenom II x4+ instead of those processors?

he doesn't want to overclock, and the performance is absolutely an upgrade from his current system.

I would say going with an x6 is the winning combo in this situation, but I also understand wanting the FX and don't think he would go wrong with either, all things considered.

Guys please remember that my heart is with AMD....

The FX4100 is very well priced.

Compared to what? It's $130 at Newegg and you can get a very good Intel chip or Phenom II quad with much better performance than the FX-4100. Remember it's not a true quad core no matter how you slice it. If you must, get a 9XX AMD mobo and upgrade to the newest AMD cpu later when they fix the BD turd.

looking at the benches the difference between the 4100 and the 6100 isn't much, I don't know what the price difference is, if it's like 20-25 bux I would say it's probably not a bad decision.

Compared to what? It's $130 at Newegg and you can get a very good Intel chip or Phenom II quad with much better performance than the FX-4100. Remember it's not a true quad core no matter how you slice it. If you must, get a 9XX AMD mobo and upgrade to the newest AMD cpu later when they fix the BD turd.

I usually don't swap CPU's, I build every 2-3 years... I'm 38 now so I don't game much anymore, but I would like to buy Starcraft 2 and start playing Napoleon Total War.. But my days of hardcore gaming are over.

and in all honesty, bulldozer isn't anywhere close to as bad as people are making it out to be.

the crashing games reports are concerning, but performance wise, it's gotten to the point of hyperbole.

Back