New Build, Looking for recommendations

hyt3k9

2[H]4U
Build #9

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
This will be my main tower for at least 3-4 years. I will use it for everything and expect it to be very capable
Main Goal-
I expect the best gaming performance possible while being somewhat power-efficient, not skimping on the power supply and getting a chip that’s way less hot than this Kaby Lake I’m using.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$1500 but obviously, less money spent will make me a happy
*See below, I am re-using "some" hardware

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible
Central Ohio, 43160 - located approximately halfway between Columbus and Cincinnati

I have access to two MicroCenter's (Both are about 45 min drive each, and prefer to source online unless a deal is too good to pass up)
MicroCenter #1
747 Bethel Road
Columbus, OH 43214
-Supplied link above to that specific store #141

MicroCenter #2
11755 Mosteller Road
Sharonville, OH 45241
-Supplied link above to that specific store #071

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget?
+CPU & This CPU Cooler - Question, is Arctic Silver still the best thermal paste?
+Motherboard
+RAM - DDR4 best recommendation for cpu/motherboard to synergize speed gains [ie. Triple, Quad channel]
+SSD - 1TB NVMe, will occupy the other slot later [IF MoBo comes with two slots]
+Power Supply – Plat 80+ [Best out there, Modular]
+Case [Prefer large towers over mid-towers]

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
GPU: Can’t decide which one I’m putting in. I still kick myself for not buying the Ti-version of EVGA-RTX2080. I have an MSI-1080GTXTi as well [Not being used] I didn’t research it enough when buying into the RTX tech that I would miss that additional VRAM
My Monitors
My Keyboard
My Mouse

6) Will you be overclocking?
Nope, but have a very mild OC on current CPU since water-cooled by Kraken X62 [Not repurposing the Kraken]

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
I currently have the 2080 pushing (5) monitors
- 24” Dell 165hz G-sync (Games) 2560x1440
- 25” Dell HDR (Netflix) 2560x1440
- 35” AOC 100hz Agon Ultrawide (Multiple web pages & performance/temp meters for rig) 3440x1440
- 24” ASUS (Discord voice/chat) 1920x1080
- 24” ASUS Weather/News or Twitter (Twitterfall, tracking hashtags of interest) 1920x1080
[Just mounted the AOC on Arm, and ordered a 4-head 24” arm for others]

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Now

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
-Would like to have 2x NVMe slots [IF possible]

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Yes, I own a retail license of Windows 10 Pro x64

EDIT 11-06-2020

My build is shaping up like this:
[No Overclocked planned]

3900x @ stock speeds with the stock cooler
?Motherboard? Inventory issues
G.Skill RGB Trident Z NEO 32GB (2x16F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC)
Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe
Re-using my RTX EVGA 2080 XC Ultra -or- MSI 1080GTX Ti (Haven't decided) - will sell both when RTX 3080 comes out

?Power Supply? Inventory issues
-Still deciding on Full-Tower as many options available

-Buying a new UPS as well, since mine is long in the tooth

Last edited:
Your kabylake shouldn’t be running that hot unless you’re overclocking the snot out of it and have disabled power saving measures. If you want the ultimate in game performance you’re going to have to sacrifice some heat.

So let’s look at your options:
intel:
9900k/ks/kf

On the AMD side the 3900x seems like the best contender.

Really if gaming is the priority, I think a runout deal on a 9900k with a gigabyte z390 Aorus master or ultra would be ideal. Why? Inter-core latency increases on the 10x series, and gains are marginal vs dollars invested

The 9900k can run cool if you set it up correctly. At idle the d15 on mine runs passively.

As far as memory is concerned, with all you’re running it sounds like you need at least 32 gig of fast ram. What? Not sure, team ram has always served me well as has gskill. Two 16 gig double sided fast sticks.

cooler? Get a NH-D15s and be done with it
Ssd? Samsung 970 evo plus
Paste? I use MX-4 typically, most are within 2-4 degrees of each other

It would be worth moving some of the monitors to the onboard graphics to save on GPU memory

Last edited:
So let’s look at your options:
intel:
9900k/ks/kf

On the AMD side the 3900x seems like the best contender.

Really if gaming is the priority, I think a runout deal on a 9900k with a gigabyte z390 Aorus master would be ideal. Why? Inter-core latency increases on the 10x series, and gains are marginal vs dollars invested

The 9900k can run cool if you set it up correctly.

As far as memory is concerned, with all you’re running it sounds like you need at least 32 gig of fast ram. What? Not sure, team ram has always served me well as has gskill. Two 16 gig double sided fast sticks.

cooler? Get a NH-D15s and be done with it
Ssd? Samsung 970 evo plus
Paste? I use MX-4 typically, most are within 2-4 degrees of each other

It would be worth moving some of the monitors to the onboard graphics to save on GPU memory

I will look into these options you suggested. I've been out of the building scene entirely since building this in 2017. Thank you for the input

What''s the best power supply on the market currently?
1) Best IMO is truly advertised power rails
2) Warranty
3) Build quality

Does Seasonic still hold the crown?

What''s the best power supply on the market currently?
1) Best IMO is truly advertised power rails
2) Warranty
3) Build quality

Does Seasonic still hold the crown?

I have a Corsair, and a silver stone, both are pretty good.
evga is rated highly too

The question is how much power do you need?

Thermal paste roundup. As you will see they are mostly within a few degrees of each other

I have a tube of MX-4 and a tube of Noctua NT-H1. I like the Noctua stuff better, seems to have a better consistency.

I have a tube of MX-4 and a tube of Noctua NT-H1. I like the Noctua stuff better, seems to have a better consistency.

I like the noctua stuff better too as it is easier to clean off, but it is double the price for essentially the same performance

I decided after much extensive reading on the subject, that based on CPU's available at this time and my desire to not "only" game, but also have the capability to increase performance for multi-threaded related tasks and possibly streaming down the road... I'm going to AMD for the first time since 2007.

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X

I used to use AMD exclusively before the Intel Q6600, and I'd like some input on the best performance to bang for buck motherboards & RAM. I DO NOT plan to overclock, so please keep that in mind. X570 board over B450 chipset. Multiple (2 min, 3 preferred NVMe slots)

Real quick, please don't link stuff like the MSI MEG GODLIKE or Gigabyte AORUS Extreme. I'm not wanting to pay $700-800 for a motherboard. I'm not a baller, but still want a decent price for a solid motherboard.
I'm mainly looking for something in the $300-400 ($400 shipped, max) I'd really like to keep more around $300 since MoBo & CPU are already 1/2 my upgrading budget and still need RAM, 1TB SSD, Power Supply & Case.
(I know this will go over budget slightly, but really trying to keep it at $1500)

Here's the trick: Something "In Stock"

I've hunted on Amazon, Newegg & Best Buy online- every single one of the boards I've seen that peak my interest are sold out.
Bonus points to someone who can find me a Processor/Motherboard combo w/ some savings, even.
Quick question: I'm assuming with zero overclock that the bundled Wraith cooler will be A-Okay? Also, remember I'm pairing this with a regular RTX2080, not the Ti-version. And gaming at 1440p. This is another reason I chose AMD because the runaway frames Intel gets in the lead over AMD starts getting to be a wash when paired with this GPU at higher resolutions.

Looks like it's the best time to buy this coming off the Memorial Day sale
IwiSI2H.jpg

Last edited:
I like the noctua stuff better too as it is easier to clean off, but it is double the price for essentially the same performance

Yeah that's Noctua, twice the price for "better" quality.

I'm mainly looking for something in the $300-400 ($400 shipped, max) I'd really like to keep more around $300 since MoBo & CPU are already 1/2 my upgrading budget

I wouldn't even spend that much. In that past I always expected to spend around $120 for a motherboard, it's all I've ever spent. I decided I wanted an x570 based board for the features it offers and it was like ouch, that's almost double the price I've been paying. In any case I went with a 200 dollar one (Aorus Elite), but I don't know if I can recommend it because I'm not particularly happy with the quality of the BIOS.

The B550 boards are coming out in a couple weeks so if you can hold out you might see some new stock. Whatever the chipset, it comes down the the feautures you need. For example I need at least two m.2 slots and a USB-C front panel header. I also wanted the faster PCIe. Once you're decided on things like that you can see what boards fit the bill. If you only need one m.2 drive and nothing special on USB ports, an inexpensive B550 board would work well for you. There's no difference in performance even if looking at a B450 board. Just comes down to features.

re Streaming, don’t forget the 2080 has a really good encoder on board.

re coolers, a better cooler than stock will mean the processor can boost higher, but the stock one is “good enough”

I like gigabyte motherboards, I have the ultra (per my sig) which provides damn good power supply, lots of fan headers and a host of other niceties. While not needed for running things at stock, I preferred to go overkill a bit, as I don’t intend to upgrade for a while.

As you have elected to go AMD, please ensure the ram you get is on the QVL list of the motherboard you intend to get. This will reduce the chance of pain later on.

ssd recommendation hasn’t changed (970 evo plus)

ssd recommendation hasn’t changed (970 evo plus)

For PCIe 3.0, yeah. For PCIe 4.0 I like the Sabrent Rocket 4.0, I have a 1TB and it's really nice, meets advertised speeds. It has much higher endurance than the Evo Plus (1800 verus 600 TBW) and costs the same.

For PCIe 3.0, yeah. For PCIe 4.0 I like the Sabrent Rocket 4.0, I have a 1TB and it's really nice, meets advertised speeds. It has much higher endurance than the Evo Plus (1800 verus 600 TBW) and costs the same.

Yeah, saw the Sabrent Rocket, and had already decided to roll the dice on it. Thanks for that recco!!

Trying like hell to find a motherboard in stock somewhere I want with the features and price I want. (Personal issue, as I know now what to look for)
CraigHB, I was also seriously considering to go with the 3700x in your sig, and see what happens with the new release of mobo's and Zen 3 later this year. Still not sure.

So where we at with power supplies FAM? No recco's

3700x is great processor with the lower TDP. Throw the heatsink on there it comes with and it runs well within thermal spec. I went with the lower TDP since I'm using a rackmount which doesn't have the best ventilation. It's only a little bit slower than the 3800x and runs a lot cooler. I actually put a compact Noctua air cooler on mine and added a minus .102 Vcore offset in the BIOS. Thing runs cool as can be in a chassis with mediocre ventilation.

I probably will not upgrade until the new socket, but that would be a nice easy upgrade to go to a Zen 3 CPU. They should have pretty impressive gains.

Last edited:
Is this motherboard "any good?" - Pairing with 3900x & G.Skill Trident Z NEO with Sabrent Rocket 1TB
It's "In-stock" and fulfilled by "Newegg" not some over-priced re-seller.
I mean for $190 it's not a B-board to tide me over, I'd probably stick with it... but it looks to be part of the "economy offerings from ASUS"
I was hoping for a minimum of an AORUS Elite/Master, or ASUS- Prime Pro but inventory issues, as I'm sure anyone building now has experienced.
I've been on the following online retailer's websites trying to get a decent motherboard pick for a week now-- [I haven't made a single purchase towards this build, as I don't want to be stuck holding older tech if the Zen 3 stuff pops up out of nowhere, or the B550 boards show up]

Newegg
Amazon
Walmart Online
(Yes, they have computer parts)
B&H

Are there any other places you guys shop in the lower 48 States that I can check out? [Preferrably online]

*P.S. - The re-sellers of all these sites are severely price gouging people. Almost every board is available if you want to pay a 250% premium for it at this time

***This post moved to a more appropriate subforum "General Hardware>Motherboards>AMD"***

Last edited:
Asus tuf is okay, but I would say pairing it with a 3900X is not the best match. If you have waited this long waiting a bit more will let more inventory to get back into the channel, and maybe a month from now you might be able to get the board you want for a more normal price. When I built my current rig in my sig I bought parts of it piecemeal for almost 6 months to spread the cost out while waiting for the 3950X. After that I decided against that and went with a 3900X and just ended up buying the last parts at once. But I did not end up paying a crazy overpriced cost for my 3900X by waiting, so it worked out for me.

I'm committing a cardinal sin by quoting myself, but I don't see anyone looking at the original post to spot an edit -- so putting on bottom for maximum visability--

EDIT 11-06-2020

My build is shaping up like this:
[No Overclocked planned]

3900x @ stock speeds with the stock cooler
?Motherboard? Inventory issues
G.Skill RGB Trident Z NEO 32GB (2x16F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC)
Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe
Re-using my RTX EVGA 2080 XC Ultra -or- MSI 1080GTX Ti (Haven't decided) - will sell both when RTX 3080 comes out

?Power Supply? Inventory issues
-Still deciding on Full-Tower as many options available -
SEE MY THREAD HERE if you are also a fan of Full-Tower cases, LOTS of good recommendations, and I put it together in format that's easy to read!!
-Buying a new UPS as well, since mine is long in the tooth

Build ordered. It all should start arriving tomorrow. I was able to find everything online. Used a combination of Amazon & Newegg and lots of patience.

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900x
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS Master
RAM: 32GB (2 x 16GB) G.SKILL Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600
SSD: 1TB Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen4 PCIe M.2
GPU: EVGA RTX2080 XC Ultra
PSU: CORSAIR HX1000i
Case: AI Crystal Cube V3
*Shit tons of RGB, like $250 worth lol (extras for case) should be able to see it from space*

Thanks again to everyone that assisted with input.

Back