New BIGADV point system

Thanks for the feedback. That's probably a source of our problem. We are 0 for 2 now on electing DAB representatives. We apparently need to do better about that.

Just curious but did the [H] have any representation at the DAB meeting that the point's drop was discussed at. ? I know there was very little involvement in the thread over at the FF from the bigadv folders from [H]. Stanford could only go on what information they received from the folding public. I was involved in the thread but I really do not care about points so I am not a very good rep of bigadv folders. To me points just add a little fun to it and lets me compare what I am doing compared to others. So no matter what the point value is it does not matter because it is all still relevant, we are all receiving the same values just different numbers.

Anyway there is no conspiracy there was just a few very vocal folders that thought the point system was unfair and bias towards bigadv folders. There was really no great amount of opposition from the bigadv folders so if I were Stanford I probably would have come to the same conclusion. ;)

No... no notification of DAB meeting... and they burned out another rep of ours... its a very frustrating post... they dont F#$% listen to what we tell them... We have a database of smp tpf at our disposal... we have no trouble offering data... but they tend to refuse it...

PG gave it to us from behind. Expect them to up the GPU points next. I wonder who that will help?

Well, this part would really be no secret as they've been talking about giving GPU work units the bonus at some point.

At this point, I more or less sit back in my little corner and just contribute what I can. If only we can get something decent for ATI cards, it might help me justify turning on the gaming rig when the summer is over.

No... no notification of DAB meeting... and they burned out another rep of ours... its a very frustrating post... they dont F#$% listen to what we tell them... We have a database of smp tpf at our disposal... we have no trouble offering data... but they tend to refuse it...

That's been one of my biggest issues with PG. They took this idea of a DAB to heart seemingly, but then let it just burn out and die.

I could see there would be a number of non-BigAdv folders who would complain about the huge number of points coming from BigAdv, but at the end of the day, the BigAdv group of people have been real trail blazers in terms of hardware. In terms of performance-per-watt, and all the sharing of knowledge in terms of multi-CPU, operating systems (Linux), special configs etc... have come out of this somewhat crazy group. :)

A small, cutting-edge, dedicated group that now feels like they've been slighted by PG, who were the ones who created this mess in the first place. APOLLO was right to argue against this BigAdv points overload for the past number of years.

I understand the masses over-ride the few, but it seemed like this was a quick knee-jerk reaction. Whether that's reality or not, I can't say, but that's what it looked like.

The point reduction (other than 2684s) doesn't bother me, nor will it affect my folding "amount" but I've pretty much stopped considering any new upgrades for a while because of this points nerf.

Well, this part would really be no secret as they've been talking about giving GPU work units the bonus at some point.
There will eventually come a time when GPU2 gets phased out. There have been only two new GROGPU2 projects since GPU3 was released. And once V7 completes beta, GROGPU2 development will surely cease. Then, it's just a matter of time before the work dries up and FahCore_11 is retired.

So I would hazard a guess that PG will institute the GPU bonus system at that time to offset the inevitable anger GPU folders will have when their older pre-Fermi hardware goes obsolete for folding purposes (hacks notwithstanding).

I always have fun trying to predict what PG will do next. Maybe one of these days they'll surprise me by doing something that makes sense.

There will eventually come a time when GPU2 gets phased out. There have been only two new GROGPU2 projects since GPU3 was released. And once V7 completes beta, GROGPU2 development will surely cease. Then, it's just a matter of time before the work dries up and FahCore_11 is retired.

So I would hazard a guess that PG will institute the GPU bonus system at that time to offset the inevitable anger GPU folders will have when their older pre-Fermi hardware goes obsolete for folding purposes (hacks notwithstanding).

I always have fun trying to predict what PG will do next. Maybe one of these days they'll surprise me by doing something that makes sense.

Right... just think about the most illogical thing to do... and or pansied caving to the masses choice... should be easy....

Unless they do some fixing, half the cards running right now are gonna get shut down. Or have they fixed the gpu3 and gtx200 card issues?

Unless they do some fixing, half the cards running right now are gonna get shut down. Or have they fixed the gpu3 and gtx200 card issues?

its not really a problem, its the fact that the WU's are to small. highly doubt they will release gpu3 WU's large enough to show many benefit from the GT200 cards since the eventual plan is to retire all GPU support other than the GTX400 or newer cards and HD5k and newer cards.

Regarding the scientific value of atom count:

GPU and CPU units are based on fundamentally different simulation models. CPU uses an explicit solvent where each molecule of water is simulated individually, with 3 atoms for each molecule obviously. GPU units use an implicit solvent model where water is simulated as a continuous medium, rather than individual atoms, with the forces created by the atoms averaged.

I am not a PG insider and I haven't investigated the specifics of this thoroughly but it's certain that a huge chunk of the atom count on bigadv work units is made up of water molecules simulated explicitly.

I'm sure there are drawbacks to an implicit solvent model but the obvious advantage is a vast increase in simulation speed.

Regarding the scientific value of atom count:

GPU and CPU units are based on fundamentally different simulation models. CPU uses an explicit solvent where each molecule of water is simulated individually, with 3 atoms for each molecule obviously. GPU units use an implicit solvent model where water is simulated as a continuous medium, rather than individual atoms, with the forces created by the atoms averaged.

I am not a PG insider and I haven't investigated the specifics of this thoroughly but it's certain that a huge chunk of the atom count on bigadv work units is made up of water molecules simulated explicitly.

I'm sure there are drawbacks to an implicit solvent model but the obvious advantage is a vast increase in simulation speed.

ok... say it was all water... there are 4000x more atoms... still...

I was the first representative on the DAB when it was set up and before I left, there are no activity since december 23th 2010... Pretty sad for them to create a new board just to collect spider webs.

Those points nerfs are a necessity for balancing but it was done at the worst time. It should have been done a long time ago when bigadv became pretty stable.

I was the first representative on the DAB when it was set up and before I left, there are no activity since december 23th 2010... Pretty sad for them to create a new board just to collect spider webs.

Those points nerfs are a necessity for balancing but it was done at the worst time. It should have been done a long time ago when bigadv became pretty stable.
xilikon, good to hear from you.

Speaking of which, we need to elect a new DAB rep. We need somebody who is available to put the time in as needed, who is consistently involved on the forums and/or IRC, and who is able to adequately represent the wide variety of team members and their unique viewpoints.

xilikon, good to hear from you.

Speaking of which, we need to elect a new DAB rep. We need somebody who is available to put the time in as needed, who is consistently involved on the forums and/or IRC, and who is able to adequately represent the wide variety of team members and their unique viewpoints.

Agree we need a active representative but only if they still want to follow the DAB meetings.

its not me... btw... all in favor of kicking in VJ's door say aye... ;)
http://www.evga.com/folding/promo.asp

Something about picking favorites should not be allowed...

So it was okay for Jenseng Huang to donate 3 signed cards to HardOCP not that long ago? But now it's favoritism to give cards to other teams?

http://www.slizone.com/object/jensengx2.html

Or that the NV 590 you linked to isn't the first and only GPU that Vijay signed for a giveaway to promote FAH? Won't be the last one either...

http://www.bjorn3d.com/forum/showthread.php/36087-Win-a-GTX-590-signed-by-Jensen-Huang-and-Professor-Vijay-Pande!!

Smells like sour grapes, not rotten apples.

So it was okay for Jenseng Huang to donate 3 signed cards to HardOCP not that long ago? But now it's favoritism to give cards to other teams?

I don't see anywhere in your link that says that the cards were donated to our folding team. It was a giveaway to anyone who happened to be a reader here and there were no requirements to have been folding for team 33.

The link says 2008. That is a long time ago in my book.

You can see from the original post the contest was not folding related and open to all of [H].

Further the issue is vj's signature not jenseng... but when you go and actually read the article you will find out that Kyle doesn't support the folding team at all... his giveaways are completely seperate from ours.

Nice try please play again later...

its not me... btw... all in favor of kicking in VJ's door say aye... ;)
http://www.evga.com/folding/promo.asp

Something about picking favorites should not be allowed...

Seriously, Stanford is 1 town away. I bike up there every (warmish/ non-rainy) weekend round trip <50 min on my Trek Madone 5.2.

I do not advocate breaking down doors, but would be happy to grab a drink with on a weekend/ after work.

Further the issue is vj's signature not jenseng... but when you go and actually read the article you will find out that Kyle doesn't support the folding team at all... his giveaways are completely seperate from ours.

Nice try please play again later...

Vijay was not on the 3-fer going to H. But I'm sure there have been plenty more donations to H since 2008. So what if the hardware doesn't go directly to your fah efforts? You think those cards didn't promote H? Did bring in more potential folders to your forums? Give me a break.

Oh, but Vijay's sig WAS on the card going to Bjorn3d only 3 months ago. And that was to support FAH. So this isn't some conspiracy to only support NV over H. It's just to support FAH.

Nice try yourself. But keep the tinfoil hat handy, just in case. ;)

Give me a break.

with pleasure... how many places?

Vijay was not on the 3-fer going to H.

Oh he wasn't oh your bad... maybe you should learn to read...

But I'm sure there have been plenty more donations to H since 2008.
backpedaling... why should we believe you after your only case fell through...

So what if the hardware doesn't go directly to your fah efforts? You think those cards didn't promote H? Did bring in more potential folders to your forums?

Of course freebies for readers will bring more traffic... and there is not telling what team they would fold for because there is no forcing them to fold for us like there is at Evga with this giveaway.

HardOCP != Hardforums ... folding@evga=folding@evga

you can try and claim that we folders get free stuff from kyle and those who give to him for reviews but it flat out isn't true...

HardOCP just had a big event in Dallas... I went to it..f@h was not even mentioned... but lets stop this arguing...we need to give you a break so you can go learn to read.

hi can we keep this thread on topic?

kthx

Back