New Battlefield Free-to-Play (similar to BF2)

eddieck

Gawd
http://battlefield.play4free.com/

It's a 32-player free-to-play BF2 with slightly improved graphics and sounds. I'm not sure if they've ported the Frostbite HDR audio to the Refractor 2 engine which I assume they're using. (Porting BF2 to Frostbite would make no sense as that's what BF3 is supposed to be.)

Looks lame, why bother with that when u have either bc2 or bf2 already? looks exactly like bf2..

I don't have either BF2 or BC2, i have 2142 and 1942, just waiting for BF3, this could entertain me a bit until then.

Very cool. I support everything Battlefield.

Registered.

This is the most retarded thing ever. WTF is wrong with them seriously. BF2 is the same game why bother with this crap. Why not just make bf2 free then? Stop wasting bullshit time and resources on other crap when all we want is BF3. /sigh

They dont have to release stuff for free, i think it's pretty cool of them to release this.

i just saw a pic and i knew that map looked like strike or karkand . so its probably basically bf2 for free.

I will still play BF2...

This turd will still be steaming when it is released....

Can we say "BATTLEFIELD OVERLOAD" coming fro EA?!?!?!?!?!?!

http://battlefield.play4free.com/

It's a 32-player free-to-play BF2 with slightly improved graphics and sounds. I'm not sure if they've ported the Frostbite HDR audio to the Refractor 2 engine which I assume they're using. (Porting BF2 to Frostbite would make no sense as that's what BF3 is supposed to be.)

it does depending on if they use an updated version of the frostbite engine which im sure they will be. it will allow them to show the difference between the current frostbite engine and the updated one as well.

So instead of Battlefield 1943 were getting Battlefield 2005.

I can dig it.

Hearing the theme song again made me smile a little. :)

Good. For a secon there I thought I was the only one signing "Dun...dun, da-da, dun...dun, dun, dada dun" in my head!

When will EA get the message!

All we want is BF3 .. A proper full scale version taking BF2 multiplayer to the next level!

since BF2 we have had

2142 (decent) with a couple of expansion packs
Bad company (only on console and crap for multiplayer anyway)
Bad company 2 (in many ways not as good as bf2 but with better graphics)
1943 (never made it to the pc and despite being a success on consoles it was abandoned by EA)
Battle field heroes (utter rubbish)

Whoever is in charge of the battlefield franchise at EA has no sense of giving the fans what they want , nor how to capitalize on making the most of a franchise. The battlefield series could have been as big as the call of duty series if EA hadn't blown it.

When will EA get the message!

All we want is BF3 .. A proper full scale version taking BF2 multiplayer to the next level!

since BF2 we have had

2142 (decent) with a couple of expansion packs
Bad company (only on console and crap for multiplayer anyway)
Bad company 2 (in many ways not as good as bf2 but with better graphics)
1943 (never made it to the pc and despite being a success on consoles it was abandoned by EA)
Battle field heroes (utter rubbish)

Whoever is in charge of the battlefield franchise at EA has no sense of giving the fans what they want , nor how to capitalize on making the most of a franchise. The battlefield series could have been as big as the call of duty series if EA hadn't blown it.

+1 qft

Anybody get an e-mail yet? I registered (twice) and havent gotten squat...me wants teh pretty.....

Lol, same here (registered with 2 e-mail addys and haven't got anything).

I already have BF2 and BC2. BC2 was a bit of a disappointment for me. It took a lot of strategy out of the game with the exclusion of commander, less vehicles, smaller maps and less kits (I don't like how they combined them).

I still play BF2 occasionally, but there's not too many populated servers anymore. Prolly barely a 1000 players (if that) on at one time anymore. I'll definitely be playing the shit out of this at least until BF3 comes out. I hope I can keep my rank/stats with this version though, cuz I have over 550 hours in BF2 and would like to work on what few awards I don't have still. Do they plan on making it free even after it comes out of beta..?

i dont know why every ones crying foul. its not like they actually had to put that much effort into releasing this and its common sense that this is to re-hype the battlefield series for the younger crowd that never played battlefield 2 for battlefield 3 when it comes out.

guess ya cant make every one happy. me personally i look forward to this because its free. not a chance in hell im re-buying BF2.

and for the other person that asked about the email. i've yet to receive mine as well. im guessing this is a pre-registration kinda thing and they will release it tomorrow or something.

i dont know why every ones crying foul. its not like they actually had to put that much effort into releasing this and its common sense that this is to re-hype the battlefield series for the younger crowd that never played battlefield 2 for battlefield 3 when it comes out.

guess ya cant make every one happy. me personally i look forward to this because its free. not a chance in hell im re-buying BF2.

and for the other person that asked about the email. i've yet to receive mine as well. im guessing this is a pre-registration kinda thing and they will release it tomorrow or something.

That might be true but if they hadn't abandoned BF on the PC since 2006 with 2142 maybe the younger gamers wouldn't be suprised to see a game with the size and scope of a real BF game. Not the consolized trash we have lately.

That might be true but if they hadn't abandoned BF on the PC since 2006 with 2142 maybe the younger gamers wouldn't be suprised to see a game with the size and scope of a real BF game. Not the consolized trash we have lately.

yeah i could say that about a lot of games, especially the crap they pulled with BF2142. by far enjoyed that game more then BF2 and they just let it die. but either way theres a long list of games that fall under that category.

like others have said, release bf2 for free then.

I really doubt it's a choice on the part of developers as to what they release. They're not the swinging dicks in the relationship, and EA's never really shown anyone that it's interested in what anyone but the lowest common denominator wants.

oh noes! a free game, let’s all boycott it and not buy it :rolleyes:

What is Battlefield Play4Free?
Battlefield Play4Free is an all-new free-to-play game from the same team that created Battlefield Heroes. It’s a first person shooter with realistic graphics and is set in the modern theatre of war – featuring the opposing forces of Russia and the US battling it out with modern weapons, equipment and vehicles.

What are some of the features in the game?
Battlefield Play4Free combines features and content from several different Battlefield games. We call it ‘the best of Battlefield’
•32 players!
•New updated PC engine with HD console quality graphics – high resolution artwork and post-processing effects
•The weapons and equipment of Battlefield Bad Company 2
•The factions and classes of Battlefield Bad Company 2
•Maps are updates of classic BF2 maps like Strike at Karkand
•Vehicles are familiar BF2 classics (Yes, that includes helicopters and jets!)
•The leveling, abilities and deep visual and gameplay customization of Battlefield Heroes
•Free-to-play, quick to download and low system specs like Battlefield Heroes

How long have the team been working on it?
We started work in January 2010, with a full team working on it since August.

Why did you make this game?
Community feedback (LOTs of it and for that we thank all of you) and our own research into the Battlefield Heroes audience and free-to-play shooter fans generally told us that you are pretty hardcore, and the majority of you actually really like and want modern, military-style shooters.

So we decided to take what we’ve learned from Battlefield Heroes and create a brand new, modern, military shooter; taking the most popular features of Battlefield Heroes and bringing them into a whole new setting with the help of content and features from other Battlefield titles.

When does Battlefield Play4Free come out?
Closed Beta will start November 30th, 2010. Open Beta is scheduled for early 2011.

Can I use my Battlefield Heroes account for Battlefield Play4Free?
When registering for and once you start playing Battlefield Play4Free, we encourage you to use your existing Battlefield Heroes account, but you can’t move characters between the two games.

What kind of items will there be in the Battlefield Play4Free store?
Very similar to the selection for Battlefield Heroes. Visual customization items, weapons, widgets (although they won’t be called that) etc.

How do I sign up for The Battlefield Play4Free beta?
Easy! Go to Battlefield.Play4Free.com and enter your email address (make sure to use your existing Heroes email address if you already play it) – we’ll contact you with a beta key as soon as a slot opens up for you.

Are there any other ways I can get access to the closed beta?
The very first people to get access to the Battlefield Play4Free closed beta will be key selected members of the Battlefield Heroes community.

There will be other ways to get access, keep checking our Battlefield Play4Free Facebook and Twitter for details.

How can I stay up-to-date with the latest Battlefield Play4Free news?
The best way to grab the latest news and updates from the Battlefield is to follow our Facebook and Twitter

Are you stopping work on Battlefield Heroes?
Absolutely not! Our Battlefield Heroes work plans are unchanged. These are some of the things that are still coming:
•Deep Space 2
Take the Isaac look a step back in time and enter on the battlefield dressed as the alien slaying engineer from Dead Space 2
•Two more game modes
•Christmas Specials
Join us this festive season as the temperatures chill and the battlefield becomes a more ruthless war zone than ever before with bone chilling colds and the seemingly endless snow fall. Not only that, but you will also have the chance to get your hands on never before seen goodies, including... scoped guns!
•Bug Fixes
Along with all of these awesome new features and epic chunks of content we have been working hard on fixing many of those pesky bugs you have been reporting to us. With the help of your feedback we are crushing those bugs.

What is your priority – Battlefield Heroes or Battlefield Play4Free?
Both are prioritized equally. Battlefield Heroes already has a huge community and is a very important game to us (it’s EA’s biggest Play4Free game). Battlefield Play4Free, however, is in a heavy development phase and therefore needs quite a bit of attention too.

What game is better, Battlefield Heroes or Battlefield Play4Free?
Despite sharing a lot of similarities, both games are very different in feel. Battlefield Heroes is more light-hearted, arcade-like and cartoony. Battlefield Play4Free is more serious, realistic, violent and gritty.

We enjoy playing both.

Will I be able to use my Battlefunds in Battlefield Play4Free?
Yes! As long as you use the same account for both games, your Battlefund balance will be shared between both games!

Can I use my VP or HP in Battlefield Play4Free?
Nope – Battlefield Play4Free will have two new currencies to replace VP and HP, so these will not be shared between games

I’ve been playing Heroes forever, do I get a reward for this in Battlefield Play4Free?
We are working hard on creating lots of cool connections between the titles, but are not talking about them at the moment. Imagine unlocking cool stuff in Battlefield Play4Free if you have done something (hit a level, done a mission) in Battlefield Heroes, and vice-versa. We want you guys to play and enjoy both games, so we will work on rewards for doing so.

So you are just trying to get us to spend money in two games then? Damn money-grabbing EA…
Definitely not. You guys are free to choose whether to buy Battlefunds or play for free in both titles. The vast majority of Heroes players never spend any money, and we expect this to also be the case for Battlefield Play4Free.

We also expect Battlefield Play4Free to bring in a whole new audience, who were put off Battlefield Heroes by the cartoony graphics and less serious feel of the game.

How does Battlefield Play4Free relate to Battlefield 3?
Like our connections with Battlefield Heroes, we are working on deep connections between Battlefield Play4Free and the upcoming Battlefield 3. If you plan to play Battlefield 3, we would advise you get into Battlefield Play4Free at the earliest opportunity!!

Want to drive that tank, $5.
Want to fly that helo, $7.50.
Flying the Jet, only $10.
Battlefield Play4Free priceless.

You have to have your license.

I imagine Bobby Kotick is having a stroke right now "free????*heave* heave* free??? WWWWTF"

Excellent. So it's like Heroes in that you get everything but unlocks and clothing as standard. I can deal with that quite happily. Shame that it probably means some dullards actually paid money for things from the Heroes store and told them the microtransaction route is a potential winner.

BF2 was my all time favorite next to 1942 in the whole Battlefiled series. It would be awesome if they actually revived BF2 a little.

BF2 was my all time favorite next to 1942 in the whole Battlefiled series. It would be awesome if they actually revived BF2 a little.

BF2 will be remembered. I do not even know how it got hyped up so much. seem like everyone and their moms were playing it back then.

BF2 will be remembered. I do not even know how it got hyped up so much. seem like everyone and their moms were playing it back then.

except me :p to be completely honest i have never played a single minute of BF2 lol back when it came out i was mostly playing RTS games and eventually forgot about BF2 after a while.

Back