New Apple Ads Smack of Desperation?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Is it just me or are the new Apple ads really starting to have a desperate feel to them? I like how the “teetering” ad suggests Windows XP users will buy a whole new computer (a Mac)…instead of upgrading to Windows 7. Ummm, okay. Blame Dxter486 for the link to this one.

Last edited:
Like the "Trust me" ad, Apple has been churning out the same garbage ad after ad.

-P

The only Mac I would upgrade to is a Big Mac. And I don't even like Big Macs.

Haven't they always?
If people actually believe this stuff, then they can go ahead and buy their Mac. I sure hope they don't have a guest account on their machine and try to switch from one to the other.

Mac ads are always filled with FUD. Blue screens? When's the last time anyone with a computer has seen a blue screen if they've upgraded their OS in the last 5 years? It's even more pathetic that the biggest selling point of Macs is that they can run Windows. Quite funny that the selling point of your computer with it's superior OS is the ability to run the "shoddy" OS, according to you [Apple].

I wish Microsoft would attack the guest account/user file deletion bug on their ads, but they probably won't. They don't need to - they can actually advertise the features of their product, instead of having to resort to mudslinging. Or, they could just post a link to this if they wanted: http://www.cad-comic.com/comic.php?d=20060513 :D.

I also felt this latest ad is a little pathetic in the end. Sure, instead of buying an OS upgrade for a hundred or two $$$, depending on which version, if you got one of the 50% off pre-order deals, etc... they suggest you purchase an entirely new PC.

And how is Snow Leopard not in the same boat as Win7? Its cheaper than Win7 sure, but its also less in terms of new/revised features when compared side to side with SL. SO how is this any different than their "new" OS?

My coworker and I were discussing this yesterday in relation to the Windows 7 Whopper and my suggestion was that if Windows is a giant, realtively cheap burger that will fill you up with lots of leftovers (and may be harmful to certain people).

Linux would be an MRE. It'll last nearly forever, work anywhere, it can be very small, but you really wouldn't eat it unless you absolutely had to.

Mac would be a meal at a fine high end resturant. It got great reviews, looks great on the plate, tastes pretty good, and costs a ton. But it is so small and empty you still end up getting the hamburger at the fast food joint across the street on the way home just to fill yourself up.

Mac ads are always filled with FUD. Blue screens? When's the last time anyone with a computer has seen a blue screen if they've upgraded their OS in the last 5 years?

Heh, funny asidee, but I had my FIRST blue screeen with my main Vista PC last week (32Bit SP1). It was during a marathon playing session of Batman AA (6+ hours straight), using NVs Physx set to high, with overclocked SLI 8800GTs. Was it from the game being buggy? The NV display drivers or Physx drivers being buggy? Overheating vid cards? I dont know, and dont really care. This single system crash does not phase me after running VIsta since day one of its release in this particular PC (also have a Vista laptop that has never blue screened at all).

But I have fully now beat Batman on PC and completed all the Joker puzzles as well, so I have put many MANY hours into it.

Remember the old Joe Nissan commercials from the late 80's early 90's. Had the used car salesman making outrageous clames and across the bottom of the screen in big letters it said "HE"S LYING". Basically what apples commercials remind me of.

Mac ads are always filled with FUD. Blue screens? When's the last time anyone with a computer has seen a blue screen if they've upgraded their OS in the last 5 years?
I had my first one in Windows 7 a few days ago. They can still happen, on occasion.

Exactly who is this line directed at?
"vista's not going to have any of the problems XP had"

Fail.

Buying a whole new computer during an upgrade does sound familiar... I think Apple have their target audience locked down with this one.

Apple is better. Why? Cuz the tee-vee said so, and tee-vee never lies. Just try and have a conversation with any first year college student about personal computers. Watch their eyes glaze over when you try to talk with them in terms outside of catchy marketing phrases. It's so sad.

I bitch, piss and moan about Apple all the time just for this reason.

No one has a problem with OS X, we’ve tested it and liked it. The problem people have isn’t the hardware tie in where the average person has to BUY A MAC to run OS X. The problem people have is the arrogance, attitude of the Apple elitists. The constant douchebaggery that really, really, really puts people off.

Their own arguments don’t even make sense. You can shut the zealots up right away by asking them a common sense question:

Apple is better! Microsoft stole everything from us! Windows sucks! Windows is inferior!!!

Well, let’s just say all those points are 100% true… why then, after 20 years, is Apple still only a fraction of the U.S. computer market and almost non-existent in the world market? Is everyone THAT stupid? The world is so ignorant that they would constantly be fooled into buying an inferior product from a band of thieves that steals their ideas from their competitor? Are we all truly that ignorant?

If Microsoft is so bad and its OS so weak....why can't you beat them?

Apple needs to give people a little more credit than that.

(just my $0.02...ymmv)

Remember the old Joe Nissan commercials from the late 80's early 90's. Had the used car salesman making outrageous clames and across the bottom of the screen in big letters it said "HE"S LYING". Basically what apples commercials remind me of.

Joe Isuzu

Windows 2? What happened to Windows 3.1, it was probably the most important OS for Microsoft. Making them a huge place in the market. Never used Windows 1 or 2 and niether anyone else as far as I know.

Those commercials are so full of shit, not even CLOSE to reality. They really piss me off.

i'll give the mac OS a shot when they start selling it for any computer to use, not just their stupid priced mac crap that i can't modify the hell out of. until then i dont give a crap.

It seems to me any product or person (usually political) who relies on mudslinging to push a product or himself is hollow. How about a mac commercial showing the operating system doing something? I would never buy a product based upon attacking another.

I love my MacBook.

I love my desktop PC.

Also, I don't watch TV.

So, um.. What are you guys talking about?

I've never liked using a Mac, and I sure as hell wouldn't ever buy one, but I really like their commercials a lot.... still. They have done a great job of pointing out the big flaws with Windows over the years, and the only reason they have been repetitive is because the same flaws have stuck around for so long.

I always get a chuckle out of these ads, even this one. And it really has nothing to do with what they are selling. The fact that they have "churned these out for years" (it's only been 3 years folks) is really a testament to how successful they have been. How many variations of these are there now anyways... 40? 50? Most of them pretty darn comedic.

Apple has one big problem for me. It will not run my software.
Yeah I know I could run it in emulation or dual boot to Windows, but then why not buy Windows to begin with?

My coworker and I were discussing this yesterday in relation to the Windows 7 Whopper and my suggestion was that if Windows is a giant, realtively cheap burger that will fill you up with lots of leftovers (and may be harmful to certain people).

Linux would be an MRE. It'll last nearly forever, work anywhere, it can be very small, but you really wouldn't eat it unless you absolutely had to.

Mac would be a meal at a fine high end resturant. It got great reviews, looks great on the plate, tastes pretty good, and costs a ton. But it is so small and empty you still end up getting the hamburger at the fast food joint across the street on the way home just to fill yourself up.

Haha, that's awsome.

I love my MacBook.

I love my desktop PC.

Also, I don't watch TV.

So, um.. What are you guys talking about?

Well if you kept up with the conversation and subject you'll see that we're not dissing Apple as a product (aside from the cost). Apple makes great products, there's no denying that. Apple just doesn't know how to tell the truth when it comes to their competition. They always have to blow everything out of proportion and lie (or imply a lie) about the other guy.

They make pretty good iPhone commercials now (after they got rid of the browsing speed exaggeration commercial). Why can't they show off their OS and computers?

They should take notes from HP. Show off their designs. Show us why their OS is so great. Shut up about Microsoft. That's all they need to do to gain the respect of most of us at the [H].

so what exactly does apple do? if that were the first ad i ever watched of an apple product, i imagine i would get just that impression: what the fuck are they selling? insults?

dear apple,

grow up.

BloodyIron

Excellent analogy!:)

The last Apple I bought was a PowerMac 7100, and I was disgusted at how much it cost to buy a burner, or a modem...because they had to be for a Mac.

In order for Apple to gain more market share, they need to lower the prices on their products and quit locking everyone out by selling proprietary stuff. Apple fans can argue that they can slap in a new gpu off any shelf and that's true - however, finding a driver for it or full support in OS X is hard unless it's a card line also sold by Apple (and therefore works in OS X out of the box).

Problem is, both of those things will never happen, and Apple will continue with their cookie crumbs like they have now. I've worked with Macs for years, dating all the way back to the Classic. I like their OS, they make nice looking computers. Their price tags are out of the realm of what I'm willing to pay though, and generally I prefer working in Windows, because 99% of my customers work in Windows.

Really this is all they could come up with it? Although John Hodgman look pretty rad in the 80's clothes.:D

The problem people have is the arrogance, attitude of the Apple elitists. The constant douchebaggery that really, really, really puts people off.
Heh. You should pay more attention to the kind of stuff fans on the other side pump out. Hell, it was only a couple weeks ago or so that some rabid Microsoft zealot practically made a death threat against Apple and its entire user base in one of your news threads. He actually wished for Mac owners to kick the proverbial bucket and expressed his belief that anyone who owns a Mac should relocate six feet under as soon as possible.

Sure, there are some arrogant pro-Mac guys out there, but I'd choose arrogance over severe mental depravity any day :)

If Microsoft is so bad and its OS so weak....why can't you beat them?
Incidentally, I already answered this question today. Right here. I think the main thing, though, is that people don't want to blow a grand or two (or three) on an Apple machine that may not even be a good fit for them when they can get a better 'fit' with a Dell or HP rig for a fair bit less. Since OS X is attached to Macs, and Macs are cost-prohibitive compared to PCs, OS X just isn't in a position to gain much traction. It doesn't have much to do with the OS itself.

What a ridiculous way to advertise; you'd think focusing on the good aspects of your own product would be the right approach. The message in this ad is that every version of Windows, ever, has been terrible. And Macs, all along have been great. Right, 90-95% of the world is simply not enlightened to the 'better way'. Give me a break.

It's a shame that the BSOD's and crashes of yester-decade are still haunting Windows in this way. Ever since XP I've found Windows to be just stupidly reliable.

Props to Microsoft for not stooping to this level. They need to advertise against this crap somehow, not by attacking Apple, but with a fresh look at how well Windows computers run. Somehow emphasize the hundreds of millions Windows boxes that run problem-free 24x7 for a fraction of the price of a Mac, and with a much better hardware/software ecosystem than ANY other computing platform. Show some shiny new products that ship with Windows on them, and how well they work.

I've always wanted to see Apple gain market share since it'd be overall good for consumers, but this stuff makes me want to see them just burn.

that ad does have a point. so of MS hyped OS sucked big time. apple is really not out of line to point that out.

however as I really like the beta (waiting on ups for my pre orders to arrive from newegg) I think the single best response MS could make here is to let public opinion show. sooner or later the results will speak for themselves. esp if MS gets market share from apple :D

Props to Microsoft for not stooping to this level. They need to advertise against this crap somehow, not by attacking Apple, but with a fresh look at how well Windows computers run. Somehow emphasize the hundreds of millions Windows boxes that run problem-free 24x7 for a fraction of the price of a Mac, and with a much better hardware/software ecosystem than ANY other computing platform. Show some shiny new products that ship with Windows on them, and how well they work.

They sort of did that with the ads showing customers walking into stores with X dollars in their pocket, and trying to buy a Mac. Then they go look at PCs, and leave the store with a bunch of money still in their pocket :p

Honestly, not having used a Mac since high school, I have NO IDEA what is good about the Mac OS, based on these commercials. I don't know what it does, what it even looks like, or why it's better than Windows.

At least the iPhone commercials actually sell the product, and don't try to just put down the competition (this is where we bring in this Droid marketing blitz...).

Just the same old apple smugness that turns me off.

Superiority complexes of people using macs never ceases to amaze me. However most of the people using macs are the "artsy" type. They aren't the tech minded type.

that ad does have a point. so of MS hyped OS sucked big time. apple is really not out of line to point that out.

however as I really like the beta (waiting on ups for my pre orders to arrive from newegg) I think the single best response MS could make here is to let public opinion show. sooner or later the results will speak for themselves. esp if MS gets market share from apple :D

If Apple wants to go down the history path, we can cover how many CPU cores they went through. Motorolla, PowerPC, then finally Intel. And remember what happened each time the core switched how crappy the backward compatibility was?

They have room to speak.

Most of Microsofts OS release stumbles were due to
1) lack of new os driver support
2) bugs introduced by new features (not old ones found in previous os's)

To address this:

1) Vista drivers work on Windows 7 (They ensured backwards/forwards compatibility)
2) The new version has XP mode. If your program worked in XP it will work on windows 7 (with appropriate processor)

automatic win for 80's reference

the problem in this commercial....justin long never got younger, windows 2....Long was 10.

and i guess everyone has forgotten the true irony to the apple company vs microsoft.

um did everyone forget that microsoft bought a portion of apple shares back in the day, and bill gates made an appearance (via televised satellite) at the apple keynote when jobs announced that mac would support MS office?

Exactly who is this line directed at?
"vista's not going to have any of the problems XP had"

Fail.

Yeah... XP was great pretty much from day one and only got better over time... Whats up with that quote? Or is it for the ignorant?

Windows 2? What happened to Windows 3.1, it was probably the most important OS for Microsoft. Making them a huge place in the market. Never used Windows 1 or 2 and niether anyone else as far as I know.

Those commercials are so full of shit, not even CLOSE to reality. They really piss me off.

Heck yeah, in fact I have Windows 3.11 running in a OS Zoo... It's cool to look at all the addons that are still like stuff being used today.

Heh. You should pay more attention to the kind of stuff fans on the other side pump out. Hell, it was only a couple weeks ago or so that some rabid Microsoft zealot practically made a death threat against Apple and its entire user base in one of your news threads. He actually wished for Mac owners to kick the proverbial bucket and expressed his belief that anyone who owns a Mac should relocate six feet under as soon as possible.

Sure, there are some arrogant pro-Mac guys out there, but I'd choose arrogance over severe mental depravity any day :)

Incidentally, I already answered this question today. Right here. I think the main thing, though, is that people don't want to blow a grand or two (or three) on an Apple machine that may not even be a good fit for them when they can get a better 'fit' with a Dell or HP rig for a fair bit less. Since OS X is attached to Macs, and Macs are cost-prohibitive compared to PCs, OS X just isn't in a position to gain much traction. It doesn't have much to do with the OS itself.

Ummmm, yeah, you made everyone's point...

When I said "arrogance, attitude of the Apple elitists. The constant douchebaggery that really, really, really puts people off" I was talking about Apple and their ads.

Back