New Android Market!!!

Yeah, I got it yesterday or the day before when it was first released. It definitely looks more modern and snazzy looking. Kind of like WP7. Seems to be running better on my Droid than the old market, surprisingly. I'm just not sure about the layout, it will take a while to get used to, I guess. I usually don't like major UI changes on any software unless there were huge flaws with the previous version (which I didn't notice any on the previous market).

I'm liking it so far.

Seems to be a tad smoother than the old one on my Nexus S 4G.

Yeah... about the last thing I'm going to trust... an unofficial version of an app that has complete access to my account data and has the ability to use my credit card. NTY.

Yeah... about the last thing I'm going to trust... an unofficial version of an app that has complete access to my account data and has the ability to use my credit card. NTY.

Where did you get "unofficial"? It's from Google and has the same privileges as the market you're running right now.

^ Yeah, it may be Google's bundle but it didn't *come* from Google's servers. I wouldn't install it either.

No, it is not, google surely did not post it on dropbox... rofl.

Doesn't mean it's been altered from Google... rofl. :confused:

^ Yeah, it may be Google's bundle but it didn't *come* from Google's servers. I wouldn't install it either.

OPs link .apk MD5 hash = 95735a2e2235577fe02d5c63563d2552
.apk MD5 hash on XDA (source) and everywhere else = 95735a2e2235577fe02d5c63563d2552

I think you're good guys. Unless you don't trust anything outside of Google servers, lol.

Doesn't mean it's been altered from Google... rofl. :confused:

OPs link .apk MD5 hash = 95735a2e2235577fe02d5c63563d2552
.apk MD5 hash on XDA (source) and everywhere else = 95735a2e2235577fe02d5c63563d2552

I think you're good guys. Unless you don't trust anything outside of Google servers, lol.

I don't think I'd trust a major component of my phone's OS from a third-party server any more than I'd trust Windows from a third-party ;). But hey, if you like the risk of security issues, go for it! Just don't complain if your credit card and other info gets silently intercepted...

I don't think I'd trust a major component of my phone's OS from a third-party server any more than I'd trust Windows from a third-party ;). But hey, if you like the risk of security issues, go for it! Just don't complain if your credit card and other info gets silently intercepted...

Nah, I don't mind. I'm already running a custom ROM and half the apps on my phone are 3rd party apps. If something happens, getting a new CC is too easy and my bank (USAA) refunds any unauthorized purchases immediately. It's happened a few times to my wife, but not to me yet. Not that big of a deal, really. I guess that's the risk of running the latest and greatest, eh?

this thread turned out to be pretty funny. Talk about conspiracy theory...

Any rate, for you guys who are too scared to install it, wait for it to come from google. Ill enjoy the new market...

this thread turned out to be pretty funny. Talk about conspiracy theory...

Any rate, for you guys who are too scared to install it, wait for it to come from google. Ill enjoy the new market...

Yes, because spyware doesn't exist! :rolleyes:

Conspiracy Theory? You are calling people paranoid for not trusting an app you are linking to that can access about everything on their phones. Yeah, I think I will wait with my fellow conspiracy theorists until it comes from Google.

It's actually totally fine in this case. APKs are signed with a public/private key. For the system to treat it as an update, it *MUST* be signed with the same key as the previous version. Failure to do so will result in the system rejecting the new APK, requiring a manual uninstall of the old version to install the new version.

So if the APK was tampered with or isn't from Google, it won't pass the system's security checks and will promptly be rejected. But this is only in the upgrade case.

Of course, all that said it's never a bad idea to only install APKs from trusted sources, updates or not :)

I'm trying it out on the Droid Charge. It works ok. Definitely a different look. Not sure if I like it or not yet.

I LOLed at the people scared to install it...

Anyway, I'm loving it on my CM7'ed Evo 4G.

If the MD5 sums match up, it is virtually IMPOSSIBLE for there to be any changes in the code, whatsoever - including adding malware to an APK.

If the MD5 sums match up, it is virtually IMPOSSIBLE for there to be any changes in the code, whatsoever - including adding malware to an APK.

Nice thread necro...especially since the new market in question is already being pushed out to all devices (I received it yesterday) making all the earlier arguing pretty pointless. :p

Nice thread necro...especially since the new market in question is already being pushed out to all devices (I received it yesterday) making all the earlier arguing pretty pointless. :p

Indeed. I should have updated though; they were right. I had malicious code on my market sending my CC/billing addy info to the hackers. They came to my house, raped/murdered my family, burned my house down, then maxed out my card with hookers and blow (didn't even know you could get that on CC nowadays).

I should have listened..

:D

Not really, I'm glad to wait a week for the real release instead of trusting that the original md5 is correct from the very same person uploading the file, which could have been modified prior to hashing by him. Security 101 dictates that you don't download from untrusted sources and install unknown randomness :p.

Any way to disable update notifications ? It keeps wanting me to update my apps, which I don't want to do. No bulk toggle or anything either :(

Back