Neverwinter MMO, 100% FREE! :)

Yikes, I didn't lose any progress thank goodness. Come Tuesday I won't have much time to play anymore only a few hours each week, but I like the system at least for the early levels for soloing. I can choose between Skirmishing, PvP, Dungeon, or Foundry quests to take part in the storyline and feel like I'm making progress. The lvl 25 Dungeon (Crypts) was actually really sweet and had some neat stuff in it but it was long. Think it took us an hour to do with the queue pug it put me in. Luckily it wasn't all rogues again. I actually died for the first time last night :(

So far I like it. Very few complaints, and the two best things, its free and fun.

It has an optional paid component to it. It's tempting to use it, but I get plenty of drops to keep my character's gear matching my character's level. To be exact most of the time I have 4 or 5 items at least 1 level ahead of me in my bags. I haven't felt at any point that I must purchase anything.

Now I really want more bag space as I am a habitual hoarder. So I might sneak in a bag upgrade soon. Those paid mounts make me sad in the pants compared to the ones you buy with gold graphically. But those are issues of my making; not the developer. I'll report back if my attitude changes on the way from 20 to 60.

:)

Yikes, I didn't lose any progress thank goodness. Come Tuesday I won't have much time to play anymore only a few hours each week, but I like the system at least for the early levels for soloing. I can choose between Skirmishing, PvP, Dungeon, or Foundry quests to take part in the storyline and feel like I'm making progress. The lvl 25 Dungeon (Crypts) was actually really sweet and had some neat stuff in it but it was long. Think it took us an hour to do with the queue pug it put me in. Luckily it wasn't all rogues again. I actually died for the first time last night :(

Sounds good, I'm getting slightly sick of Clock Tower haha. Shame you won't be able to log in as much, I think I've given up on forming a guild for the time being, not like we need one anyway (or that anyone logs in when I ask them to haha). We'll form it later on, if everyone is still steadily playing.

Try to get on as much as you can! My buddy and I will try to catch up in the next day or two so we can do a few dungeons per week.

For anyone else, we're playing on Dragon, in case they wanted to join us.

I'm liking the game so far. I'm a lvl.31 cleric. I'm about to fight my first you know what. I hate how some players will move ahead while others are searching a treasure chest in a dungeon, leaving them without healers. Some players need patience.

Has anyone received a Heavy Inferno Nightmare?

I've been playing for the past week or so and having a really good time.

@ lvl 42 right now and I haven't run into anything that required a purchase in order for me to advance. The cash shop items are all about reducing the amount of time it takes to complete X activity (movement = buy a mount, crafting = buy a profession pack, hoarding loot = buy a bag, etc). You can however get equivalent items in-game either by just playing through quests/dungeons or spending accumulated game currency.

Here are a few highlights from my experience so far:

• Group content is fun and easy to drop-in/out of through the queue system. Also doesn't require more than 20 minutes (skirmish) to an hour (dungeon) at lower levels.
  • Solo quest lines are well done and will take you from 1 to 60 just about faster than anything else. Most of the quests provide a decent amount of lore and spoken dialog which I think helps add to the immersion.
  • Gear drops frequently and often at 1 or 2 levels above your current level. Decent gear can be purchased, but the best variants are usually obtained through group content.
  • PVP is fun (if you get a decent team), but so far I've only participated in 5v5 domination style matches so if there are other PVP modes I've not tried them yet.

Of course the game is not without its problems. Right now it's very easy to exploit the PVP system and accumulate Honor (PVP currency) by simply joining a queue and then sitting afk at the spawn point until the other team wins.

I can also see the Auction House getting completely monopolized very quickly by whoever is willing to spend the most real life money. Since the AH runs off of Astral Diamonds (in-game currency) which can be directly traded for Zen (cash shop currency) all it would take is someone willing to spend the money and the time managing multiple accounts.

Anyway, TLDR:
+ Really enjoying the game. Very accessible and well crafted content. Cash shop does not sell content or gear.
- PVP system already being exploited. AH can and will be monopolized directly through cash shop.

So what's the verdict on this game?

It is a pretty standard fare MMO; however, with that said it does a lot of the little things which make it stand out and so far ranks as one of the more enjoyable MMO experiences recently.

There are several things I like about it and a couple things I don't. I guess lets stat with what I enjoy about it.

First and foremost I enjoy the PvE. I just had surgery last week so I've had a few days to play around and kill some time. This is one of the first MMOs in a long time to suck me in. I'm a sucker for good storylines and arcs and while nothing spectacular it does do a great job on drawing you into the game I felt. One of the really neat areas is the ability to make your own quests via the Foundry. It has a whole story, graphics, and waypoint creator for you to really spread your wings. This is a great advantage for solo players like me who don't have a lot of time to devote to "grinding" in an MMO. So far in the first 30 levels I have yet to find a quest that is just a standard fare "collection" quest hidden in MMO guise. What I mean is there is no "OMG my kid is sick I need 30 goblin ears to make a special brew to heal my kid!!!" All of the quests are story driven and most generally reward you as soon as you finish with them, no running back and forth to kill something and deliver back to your quest giver all the way across the world. There is a direct correlation with the quests, quest givers, and the tasks they assign you. Yes it is a very linear path as the quests do a great job of handholding you from zone to zone. You do have some flexibility as you can deviate from them and find your own, but for the most part there is a very linear progression to what the storyline wants from you.

There is a queue system in place which helps you find groups for PvE Dungeons, PvP arenas, skirmishes, and foundry quests. This is again a great boon early on as it helps you get into the action without spending hours looking for help to do these quests. The early level skirmishes and dungeons are very forgiving. You don't need perfect tactics are group makeups to complete them. I actually had a group of 3 rogues and 1 wizard and we completed 2 of the dungeons (I'm a Guardian Fighter so the tank) and I didn't need a healer to tank the adds or the boss. As your progress you'll need better group makeups and tactics (starting around the lvl 20 or 25 dungeon) so it isn't just mindless button mashing. This is also a great way to meet people in game as I've actually accumulated quite a friends list and routinely get asked to come join Dungeon or pre-made pvp groups. Again this makes the game very solo friendly if need be, also it makes it very friendly if you have weird playtimes or can only play for 30 minutes.

Talent and Feat system is actually surprisingly very well done, at least I think so. It is deep and complex which to me shows that a lot of thought went into the end game and varying playstyles. This game isn't the holy trinity. As a tank I have multiple options and paths to choose from but regardless of what I choose I'm not
a standard MMO tank. What I mean is I can taunt, have various aggro mechanics, etc...etc...but my job has not been nor does it ever appear to be to be a traditional meatshield. My feats are designed for snap aggro, mob placement, a defensive bulwark, a surprisingly decent dps machine, and overall longevity. You may be like wait a second!!! WoW had multiple paths my Warrior could take. I could be a dps, a tank, or a DW ginzu knife but that isn't what I am. I'm all of those yet none of them. It is very difficult to explain but talents and feats lead to some various interesting combos. For example you have at-will skills (basically spamable skills) daily skills (skills which require action points to use) dependent skills (basically reactionaries) etc...so you have to mix and match which skills you want. You can change them on the fly (10 second cooldown) but I can trait for PvP crowd control then switch out to AoE taunt machine, then over to single target DPS; however, by doing this you water down your various skills so it is good to try and see the different synergies between the various talents but more than likely you'll be respeccing once you get to a higher level.

Just so you know I think the Guardian Fighter is a damn fine choice. I died at level 25 basically because I hit auto run and ran into a trap outside of that I have been able to handle any quest that has been 4 levels higher than me. Mutliple mobs, single target rares, range, mages, or dps mobs all really don't have much of a chance. I rely on building my action point counter through blocking then marking mobs, debuffing them, then unleashing AoE hell which turns me into a giant ass halfing that crits for 2k at lvl 25. I have a charge that is a great distance closer in both PvP and PvE, a snare (works great in PvP), an shield slam that debuffs a single target, a mark that adds threat every time he is hit regardless of who hits him (it immediately cancels once the mob hits me so blocking is huge here) an aoe taunt that builds my guard meter (basically how long I can block until my defense goes poof) and at wills that let me attack while blocking. I routinely am the highest dps'er in pvp, dungeons, and skirmishes, while also taking the most damage, and having near the top in most kills. I love this class and the depth of the talent tree.

PvP is pretty standard and not a lot of variation here but it isn't bad not great but not bad.

Where the game falls short right now is class balance, multiple currencies, leveling is too fast (you outlevel the gear and the marks you get for buying gear), and many of the Foundry quests are just so so or outright bad regardless of how many stars they are rated. While the game does have a cash market, it isn't pay to win like GW2 was or many of the others. Zen is kinda pricey for what you can buy but overall there hasn't been a reason to buy anything in cash well maybe keys for nightmare longboxes but 20 is enough and should last you quite a while. I did purchase a founders pack but have yet to have a real reason to use the astral diamond currency to purchase items from the Auction House. I've made about 100k on the AH from my own sales and I use that to flip higher level purple rares and make more astral diamonds which is one reason I've made so much.

Overall the various things they have done in Neverwinter have been done before (minions in GW etc...etc...) but Cryptic has actually tied them all together into one coherent mass that utilizes D & D lore to make an enjoyable game so far.

Guild has been made, finally...

Whisper me in game to get an invite: Peachfuzz@bih115 or Ottomobile@bih115. Check Peachfuzz first that'll be my main.

Guild has been made, finally...

Whisper me in game to get an invite: Peachfuzz@bih115 or Ottomobile@bih115. Check Peachfuzz first that'll be my main.

Aight will do when I log in, TONIGHT! :)

im enjoying the game im 20 something dont remember... i spent a good portion of my damn astral diamonds i got from the guardian fact on a additional bag, was really tired of my bags constantly filling up. Also ive opened prob like 10 or more nightmare boxes ive found they've all been pretty much crap but a key is like 45,000 ad :( i can completely agree the game has quite a bit of Fun Factor and well balanced play between quest, dungeon, pvp, etc. the combat really makes it for me. my rogue is fun fun fun fun.

Yeah I would like to join the guild as well but im on mindflayer. I am having a hard time finding a decent guild. By decent I mean fun. Not somewhere if you ask a question no one answers. Or you say hello when getting on an no response.

I long for old WoW like community. Like vanilla style

I'm on mindflayer too and haven't found a good one yet. Tried a few and I have to wonder why these people guild up at all if they don't speak. Its like complete silence, so I just dropped... Rather not be in a guild at all if its going to be anti social guild...lol

At any rate, I thought they were going to merge the three servers into one at some point, so eventually we will all be on the same server.

I'm on dragon. Playing a Control Wizard. I'll ask for an invite later tonight.

Yes we're on "Dragon", and with the 4-5 people we had on last night, we were constantly talking, should be gearing up to be great in the next few days/weeks. I too dislike guild environments where nobody talks, I'm aiming to nullify that entirely with this game.

Rerolling takes just a few hours, my buddy and I dropped our wizards (level 17) to level a cleric (me) and a warrior, and it took us very little time to go from 1 to 16 yesterday. We were messing around and having fun, but if we just leveled without any bs'ing around, we could have done it in a mere 2-3 hours I bet, or less.

What server are ya'll playing on? My characters are on Beholder.

We started the guild on Dragon.

I also don't talk alot in chat because I hate stopping what I'm doing and typing. We need a vent server to use!

HARD PUDDING POPS!!!

Haha, right?

I didn't want to call the guild "Hard Forum Guild", that'd have been lame, especially since there are a few people in there that I know very well that aren't JUST H forum users, so I figured a compromise wouldn't be such a bad idea.

Hopefully we don't get flagged for vulgarity...though I didn't essentially mean to insinuate anything uncouth. Honest. :)

Haha, right?

I didn't want to call the guild "Hard Forum Guild", that'd have been lame, especially since there are a few people in there that I know very well that aren't JUST H forum users, so I figured a compromise wouldn't be such a bad idea.

Hopefully we don't get flagged for vulgarity...though I didn't essentially mean to insinuate anything uncouth. Honest. :)

Im gonna put together a new character tonight and start playing with a warrior I think. Possibly a dwarven warrior.

My halfling rogue is already part of another group of friends IRL.

Im gonna put together a new character tonight and start playing with a warrior I think. Possibly a dwarven warrior.

My halfling rogue is already part of another group of friends IRL.

Sounds good send me a tell and I'll invite. I'll be on later tonight.

Sounds good send me a tell and I'll invite. I'll be on later tonight.

Aight will do. Will make the character tonight but most likely will be

PowderedToast@jaredsan

if I can fit it

PowderedToastMan@jaredsan

Guardian Fighters kick ass, that is all.

Clerics, are just pure friggin' fun man, can't get enough of how much cooler it is than the wizards. You deal a ton of damage, and you heal like a boss. The switching from 'regular' mode to 'divinity' is just so cool and well done, really gives you a serious breadth of moves.

If I do a fighter, im going Siegebreaker (Destroyer Paragon Path)

That is a Great Weapon Fighter. Different from me, but they look bad ass. Got to get to 16 to get your cleric companion though. We burn through potions early on

Haha, right?

My guild name is usually Seal Cub Clubbing Club :D

My guild name is usually Seal Cub Clubbing Club :D

Or Kanadian Killer Klan.... but I see bad inclinations with this, some wires might kross, people get upset, etc etc and all because I kant spell!

I also don't talk alot in chat because I hate stopping what I'm doing and typing. We need a vent server to use!

I have a vent server you can use thats paid for through the year. My WoW guild evaporated and Im going to start getting into this game a bit today and would like to join a guild as well

Last edited:

Depending on the number of users (20'ish) I can offer mine up and set up chanadmins.

Edit: server is 100 man, I have 25 spare slots at peak.

This game looks good, being that it is in open beta will there be wipes and resets still?

Back