• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Network work group problem

romeo11523

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 20, 2006
Messages
135
I am at wits end with this and I have done numerous serches over the last 6 days and I still cannot resolve the problem.

I will explain my infastructure first:

Server w/2003 server and terminal services
-Server shares d:\ to all client computers

30 client computers
-Dell Optiplex 160 and 170L are most of them

So I had a couple old ibm computers in the network that needed to be replaced. I got approval to build 3 computers but not to just order new Dell, we were bought out 2 years ago! So I bought barebones from tiger that came with biostar MCP6P M2+. I am using onboard everything in this case.

I installed Windows XP Pro on these machines and did all windows updates to the point they are all running sp3. Everything works fine, I can link to lightspeed on the server and I can map employees folders to the computer. The problem I am running into is when I switched the computer in our shipping department and after that I noticed on all 3. When I go into network places and try to view workgroup computers the only one in there is the client that I'm on.

I have checked the registery for the lsa setting and I have tried various fixes, nothing works. I am starting to think it's hardware related but I wanted to post and see if anyone had any ideas.

Thanks,
Ryan
 
If you're not in a domain all the machines have the same workgroup name?
 
I can ping them and I can even map network drives but I cannot view the workgroup computers, the only one that comes up is the one your working on. I tried adding another nic card so that I wasn't dealing with an onboard issue but I get the same thing.
 
network neighborhood browsing isnt always great, you shouldnt rely on it.
Faster, easier way to get to the shares would be to create a shortcut to it, then place that on everyones PC's all user\desktop folder
 
Now I am back to my original error:

Workgroup is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The problem only exists on the 3 new computers.
 
and thats coming up when you try to browse network neighborhood right?
it probably doesnt come up if you go to start,run and type in \\computername\sharename
 
are you trying to browse the workgroup as a resticted user?

have you tried to broswe the workgroup from one of the NON 3 broken computers to see if the 3 computers show up in the workgroup?
 
I have a problem! When I took this job the network already existed, I was put in this position for general troubleshooting but I was forced into the networking end of it. I have picked up a lot since then but I am still learning and this would be one of those things I'm going to learn the hard way!

I did the computer check on the other computers to see if I could see the 3, problem is over half of the computers I tried gave me the same error these three are giving me. Can someone post me a link of a tutorial or explain to me what needs to be done. This also may be the answer to some other problems that have been in this network for years. Thanks for all of your guys help!
 
I have a problem!

I think we concluded that, lol.

Try to disable simple file sharing.

Turning on and turning off Simple File Sharing


To turn Simple File Sharing on or off in Windows XP Professional, follow these steps:
Double-click My Computer on the desktop.
On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
Click the View tab, and then select the Use Simple File Sharing (Recommended) check box to turn on Simple File Sharing. (Clear this check box to turn off this feature.)
 
Problem solved!

I found the problem to be client names, this should have been fixed years ago by the old IT. I get more knowledge out of now I guess. I set the name of the computer to a client listed in the server and I made it use the password. Everything comes up now without a hitch and works the way it's suppost to.
 
You named the computer the same as a user account on the server or computer account?

If the server has computer accounts, sounds like AD is setup and your not using it..
 
Why the hell do you have 30 machines on a workgroup setup?

You need to have a username setup on server with a password or no password. Each workstation machine needs same user name.

So most time with these ghettoo setups the usernames are usually like CompanyName.

Go to the server go to manage, add that same user. Bam. All good.

Get em on domain,
.

Even better why the hell is my network places even being used? If you have a share on the server why do u need to browse client machines?

Seems like a shitty setup and they should have real IT.

Workgroup and building machines :/ lols
 
Why the hell do you have 30 machines on a workgroup setup?

You need to have a username setup on server with a password or no password. Each workstation machine needs same user name.

So most time with these ghettoo setups the usernames are usually like CompanyName.

Go to the server go to manage, add that same user. Bam. All good.

Get em on domain,
.

Even better why the hell is my network places even being used? If you have a share on the server why do u need to browse client machines?

Seems like a shitty setup and they should have real IT.

Workgroup and building machines :/ lols

QFT!
 
Why the hell do you have 30 machines on a workgroup setup?

You need to have a username setup on server with a password or no password. Each workstation machine needs same user name.

So most time with these ghettoo setups the usernames are usually like CompanyName.

Go to the server go to manage, add that same user. Bam. All good.

Get em on domain,
.

Even better why the hell is my network places even being used? If you have a share on the server why do u need to browse client machines?

Seems like a shitty setup and they should have real IT.

Workgroup and building machines :/ lols



Lighten up, I got pushed into this postition and I knew nothing when I started. I got handed a mess and now I have to clean it up!
 
Back
Top