Network pics thread

So it is. I assumed it was a 771. Never ran into 775 Xeons before.

plenty of them. you remind me of a senior tech who didn't think 64-bit Pentium 4s existed.

How do you guys like that Sophos UTM stuff? I haven't encountered it yet.

plenty of them. you remind me of a senior tech who didn't think 64-bit Pentium 4s existed.

How do you guys like that Sophos UTM stuff? I haven't encountered it yet.

I was looking for a firewall protection for my network. I stumbled across Sophos and I kind of wanted to test it, It's actually very good. You get 3 years License which is good. :)

What made you choose Sophos over more popular products like Untangle and pfSense?

I'd love to use it, but I'm used to the level of community support pfSense provides and I'm cautious of losing said resource.

PFSense while nice, is a pain in the butt to turn into a full on UTM, Untangle, Sophos and others make it far far simpler and easier to set up and use.

What made you choose Sophos over more popular products like Untangle and pfSense?

I'd love to use it, but I'm used to the level of community support pfSense provides and I'm cautious of losing said resource.

I've tested Untangle and pfSense. IMO they are great products, they provide great services. But my colleagues recommended Sophos for me. I tested it, and it worked out for me.

They Also provide Support for Sophos. Which is here:
https://www.astaro.org/

I've tested Untangle and pfSense. IMO they are great products, they provide great services. But my colleagues recommended Sophos for me. I tested it, and it worked out for me.

They Also provide Support for Sophos. Which is here:
https://www.astaro.org/

I'd like to try it, but there is next to no information relating to installations on appliance type devices like the Lanner and Watchguard.

Do you mean Install Sophos UTM onto like a Watchguard Firebox?

Right, or some other form of x86 firewall or commodity hardware like a Lanner FW-7584.

There seems to be (to me) a lack of community knowledge regarding hardware and installation quirks outside of a basic build, and the general answer seems to be "purchase a pre-built appliance from Sophos" for a lot more money. From my experience, there appears to be limited interest/support for "hacking" equipment.

For people like myself who hope to re-purpose hardware they already have, it's somewhat disappointing.

Right, or some other form of x86 firewall or commodity hardware like a Lanner FW-7584.

There seems to be (to me) a lack of community knowledge regarding hardware and installation quirks outside of a basic build, and the general answer seems to be "purchase a pre-built appliance from Sophos" for a lot more money. From my experience, there appears to be limited interest/support for "hacking" equipment.

For people like myself who hope to re-purpose hardware they already have, it's somewhat disappointing.

You could install Sophos On a Spear PC. But, if you don't want to, its up to you really. But the specs on the Lanner FW-7584 Is amazing! An i7 and 16gb ddr3.

the watch guard really no different from installing on any other embedded computer... if you solder on the PS2 connectors and put a PCI card in it you should be able to install it like any other PC also

I don't know

I been talking to this guy Dashpuppy...he says untangle is best

It's in Germany (so no Comcast for me ;) ) and my provider doesn't allow reselling as in reselling for money but they don't clearly say it's against their TOS to share it without fee. Since I work for my ISP, I asked some people, that should know about it ;)

Sounds like your giving away internet service you don't pay for, to begin with. Stay classy.

Sounds like your giving away internet service you don't pay for, to begin with. Stay classy.

I actually pay almost the same as every normal customer does. So, working for an ISP doesn't necessarily mean you get free internet ;) and if this ISP is one of the largest employers in Germany, chances are close to 0 to get it for free :D

My current Home Lab

9GogD.jpg

Top SuperMicro is my "SAN" running 2012 R2 and acting as an iscsi target.
2x R610s in a Hyper-V cluster
1x SM half depth atom server. Running ESXi and has one of my DCs and the SCVMM VM.

Not pictured are 2x baytech PDUs, 1x Nortel 5520-48T for the network, and 1x edge router.

LOL we need a rating system

oft
[H]ard

:D

I don't have a 30 amp outlet yet... but to keep things future proof I just ran a whole sub panel instead:

Right now the panel is only 15 amps though... I still need to run conduit with proper 100 amp rated cables but I need to upgrade my main panel for that as it physically can't support a conduit that size.

I got this servers yesterday. They are HP ProLiant DL380 G3. Yes, they are very old, noisy and power hungry but they are real servers so I will be trying features like iLO, Smart Array etc. They are both the same and have Intel Xeon 2.8GHz with only 512KB cache, and 1GB of RAM, 2xGigabit NICs. Together they have 4x146.8GB, 4x72.8GB and 3x36.4GB SCSI drives. I will upgrade the RAM on both of them.

I'm a student who just wants to learn more things that are not in the books and don't have much to afford, also having in mind the average monthly wage in my country of 300$. I was always fascinated about servers and networking in general. I also have a 22U rack cabinet in my garage where I will be moving my servers when I get internet access there. My problem is that the rack isn't deep enough to accommodate this servers so I must have the rack open on the rear and I cannot use the sliding rails. Anyways, I'm satisfied with what I have for a starting point.

ta9rbN5.jpg

LlAz3FZ.jpg

What are you hoping to learn in terms of operating systems? Those server are quite old and while you may get away with running Server 2003 or some older distribution of linux, they are too old to run anything current I am afraid. 1GB of RAM is going to severely limit what you can do, so yeah, upgrading the RAM is a great place to start.

did you pay anything for those servers?

depending on how much the ram costs... might be worth it to just build a cheaper computer out of new parts (or new/used parts).

Even with ram upgrades, newer versions of Windows Server might give you the finger after seeing those processors.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
did you pay anything for those servers?

depending on how much the ram costs... might be worth it to just build a cheaper computer out of new parts (or new/used parts).

Even with ram upgrades, newer versions of Windows Server might give you the finger after seeing those processors.

Yes, I paid. 120$. Not much freebies here. I already have a little DIY home server I assemmbled with Celeron G1610, 8GB DDR3 RAM, Dual Gigabit NIcs etc. running Ubuntu 14.04LTS with a web server and pfSense in a VM.

What are you hoping to learn in terms of operating systems? Those server are quite old and while you may get away with running Server 2003 or some older distribution of linux, they are too old to run anything current I am afraid. 1GB of RAM is going to severely limit what you can do, so yeah, upgrading the RAM is a great place to start.

Already installed Ubuntu 14.04 and running fine.

Because I respect DIY, I may reuse the cases and PSUs to install different motherboard, CPU and hard-disks. Cheapest 4U rack-mountable case where I live is 100$. At that sum, I just got two working servers.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yes, I paid. 120$. Not much freebies here. I already have a little DIY home server I assemmbled with Celeron G1610, 8GB DDR3 RAM, Dual Gigabit NIcs etc. running Ubuntu 14.04LTS with a web server and pfSense in a VM.

What country are you in?

$99 can get you one of these. 2x Core 2 Quad-era Xeons @2.5GHz (low TDP too) w/ 8GB ram and dual intel gig nics etc. Just needs drives. Out of stock now though :/ they also have some other servers available.

I'm in Republic of Macedonia. That is crazy cheap! But shipping that to Europe would double the price.

Here are aproximate prices for servers here:
ZvBtGxX.png

You have a 30 amp receptacle in your home?

Got a pair of 60's (pre-wired for 100), pair of 30's... wait, I have 4 30's, and a couple 50's :D

Of course only a pair of 30's are going to network crap... and those are about to be torn out for smaller 15/110's.

Electric cars and other hobbies demand it.

Back