Network pics thread

depends on what you wanna do with it. For now our VDI runs on HP DL580 G5 (freaking old stuff with Xeon 7400s) with 64-384GB RAM, depending on the host, and a few RAID0s (whoever designed that should be killed). Only one host is a DL580 with Xeon E5s. Users usually don't complain about the speed, even with 40-60 VDIs on one host.
Raid 0 on a virtual mechine host box?!
Sounds like someone said give me speed or give me death on that build :eek:

Raid 0 on a virtual mechine host box?!
Sounds like someone said give me speed or give me death on that build :eek:

yeah I guess that's what he was thinking. We had already 2 arrays failing which lead us to reinstall 15 VDIs on each array in one night. Caused the host to be in a really high load situation :D

Pics from Vectorama 2014 Lanparty.
The internet connection usage meter, yes the bike does a wheelie as the usage goes higher.
devid2138350008436227208_win32_1402186007816_20140607-IMG_6735-2.jpg

How have you made the internet meter?, i verry like it :)

i see on the other picture , you have'd use a arduino:
https://data.eu1.younitedcontent.com/v2/data/share%3A6ab09eb1-630a-4a00-a110-5ae59274979d/files/event/devid381837495943319771_macintel_1401893038153_Vectorama-2014-3.jpg[/IMG}

is it connected to a cacti server of something? please tell me more about the dispay

Last edited:
I wish I could post pictures of some of our stuff, but they don't allow it.

Recently getting the new EMC Symmetrix VMAX 40k SAN's up connected with redundant Cisco 9710's. Aqua fiber the size of a tree trunk feeding those animals.

Bought 8 2TB red drives off a member, total impulse purchase. Going to be making another raid 10 array on my file server. :D One of the drives died though so have to RMA it. I just completed the write test today and the rest all passed so I'll probably build the array shortly in degraded mode then at least I can format it and stuff.

8 drives

drives ready to go in the server

This pic kind of turned out cool.

All installed, more blinky lights!

I have 3 bays left now. 2 will probably go to expand my existing raid 10 that has 4 3TB drives, and the last one will probably extend my raid 5, which is actually my biggest array in terms of amount of drives. It's actually my very first raid array, it got moved from server to server and has most of my data. Started off with 3 drives and now has 8. Probably due for an upgrade, I should probably convert it to raid 10.

I'm thinking of getting rid of those IBM enclosures, they look cool and stuff, but they're so out of date, my file server pretty much blows them away. I could use the rack space too as I might put in a few crypto coin mining rigs.

How have you made the internet meter?, i verry like it :)

i see on the other picture , you have'd use a arduino:

is it connected to a cacti server of something? please tell me more about the dispay

I'm not entirely sure how it was done but I got the idea that our router had python script that sent the arduino 2 values around 100 times a second, the internet speed in mbps and the value for the servo.
First arduino was used for network connectivity, controlling the servo and passing through the mbps value over 1-way serial to second arduino that controlled the mbps display.

You can see the meter in action for couple of seconds in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmozDi8piRM&t=11s

I'm not entirely sure how it was done but I got the idea that our router had python script that sent the arduino 2 values around 100 times a second, the internet speed in mbps and the value for the servo.
First arduino was used for network connectivity, controlling the servo and passing through the mbps value over 1-way serial to second arduino that controlled the mbps display.

You can see the meter in action for couple of seconds in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmozDi8piRM&t=11s

thanks for your answer, is er somewehere a tutorial or something or is it inspired by one of your friens him self?

excuse me for my bad english btw :p

Well I finally got around to getting a rackmountable router and stand-alone wireless access point. Now if I could just find a good rackmounted cable modem!!

network34.jpg

1) the latest state of the network rack at my mom's work. New IT company has not cleaned anything up (obviously) but they DID install a new Watchguard firewall. Sigh!

2) what happens when someone cuts the wrong wire...it's just internet!

3) no words.

Tell me about it...the 3rd pic is internet distributed to 20+ suites in an office building, each drop goes to a suite.

Finally got to try Juniper's new TISSU.

Completely upgraded the OS of the switch, with zero loss of packets through the device.

Had my PC plugged into one, and did it while browsing the internet, and noticed nothing.

This is a gamechanger...

Yeah, i'm sure someone could make good use of the racks- and it looks like the vertical PDUs are still in there and IEC cables

WOW, what waste. Those servers look like they still have some life left in them. They could have easily found a new home.

Sad to see such waste, usually some political BS reason for it too that prevents them from donating/selling off.

Where I work we get a good bit of GFE (Government Funded Equipment). What sucks about GFE is sure while we do not pay for it, we have to store it until such time the government wants it back or destroyed. This means making damn sure we have every last piece of this equipment and have it tracked and audited every so often. So when a project is done with its GFE, that equipment gets wrapped on a pallet and stored. Here is the part that really sucks is we can not even re-purpose that gear for another government contract without going through more paperwork than what is required to get new GFE. Oh and the government never wants the gear back and we eventually have to go through the paperwork to dispose of it. But damn if we misplace a piece of 10 year old crap and they come looking for it.

Where I work we get a good bit of GFE (Government Funded Equipment). What sucks about GFE is sure while we do not pay for it, we have to store it until such time the government wants it back or destroyed. This means making damn sure we have every last piece of this equipment and have it tracked and audited every so often. So when a project is done with its GFE, that equipment gets wrapped on a pallet and stored. Here is the part that really sucks is we can not even re-purpose that gear for another government contract without going through more paperwork than what is required to get new GFE. Oh and the government never wants the gear back and we eventually have to go through the paperwork to dispose of it. But damn if we misplace a piece of 10 year old crap and they come looking for it.

Too bad I dont know where that dumpster is, I could use a couple hp servers, they fit well in my rack. They also make really good zfs hosts.

Too bad I dont know where that dumpster is, I could use a couple hp servers, they fit well in my rack. They also make really good zfs hosts.

Yeah, it would be a shame if such information were to leak out onto some sort of hardware enthusiasts forum.

Also, everything in that dumpster is newer than what we're running on.

And I bet I could fit all that in the bed of my pickup truck if I had to.

Starting to come together slowly. SAN should be here Monday.

3 R620's Dual hexcore with 256gbram Each
1 R720 Dual hexcore 32gb ram for Veeam

2014-07-03%2014.54.27.jpg

2014-07-03%2014.54.42.jpg

Yeah, it would be a shame if such information were to leak out onto some sort of hardware enthusiasts forum.

Also, everything in that dumpster is newer than what we're running on.

And I bet I could fit all that in the bed of my pickup truck if I had to.

That dumpster is already way gone :p They also threw out some newer HP servers then what you see in the pic, about 2 more pallets.

GFE... Typical waste I've seen in my professional life when working in large organizations. Small companies that upgrade their equipment put that stuff on eBay and get some $$ back. But the larger companies (with the more valuable equipment) can't possibly dream of such efficiencies. Total idiocy --but that's part for the course! While working in IT for the large government contractors on large military bases here in California for a few years, boy have I got stories like this to tell!! I probably personally witnessed more than $10 mil in wasted equipment.

GFE... Typical waste I've seen in my professional life when working in large organizations. Small companies that upgrade their equipment put that stuff on eBay and get some $$ back. But the larger companies (with the more valuable equipment) can't possibly dream of such efficiencies. Total idiocy --but that's part for the course! While working in IT for the large government contractors on large military bases here in California for a few years, boy have I got stories like this to tell!! I probably personally witnessed more than $10 mil in wasted equipment.

We have a nice state surplus facility up here in Maine, so at least the government equipment is recycled.

You would think this would be a big business opportunity. An organization could pick up a load of hardware like that, sort it, eBay it, and then give a percentage back to the company that gave them the equipment. Though that may mess up their books since I imagine all that equipment is fully depreciated.

Downsized my full height rack to 24U rack and bought some server goods with it. Filling in the non production stuff.

rRlcTlp.jpg

A2q0Zsa.jpg

2x R410 with E5506, 16GB ECC REG, 4x 1TB 3.5"
1x R710 with 2x E5620, 144GB ECC REG, 1x 73GB 2.5"
2x Dell 1kW UPS

None of those will actually see 24/7 use, lab and lanparty servers.

Did you buy the rack with the servers in it? If so what did you pay for the whole bundle?

Did you buy the rack with the servers in it? If so what did you pay for the whole bundle?

Well. At first I bought the rack for 70eurs, after that I was asked would I like to buy servers and other stuff with it... Lets say I got an offer I could not resist :D

Well. At first I bought the rack for 70eurs, after that I was asked would I like to buy servers and other stuff with it... Lets say I got an offer I could not resist :D

Looks like you made out a like a bandit!

@DLE

LOL! I love the servers on rails fully extended. Did they just leave them out like that?

Back