Network pics thread

A new addition to the home network.

11240172763_9213f8e4ab_b.jpg

I use it very sparingly. I should have said home lab, not the home network. I fire it up for a lab then turn it off.

Cmon GNS3 switching! :p

Spent my friday refreshing the lab. New server has 2 quad core Xeons, 20 GB of RAM and 16 NICs, hoping it'll carry me through CCIE v5

y8FRFRbl.jpg

Those are some weird looking patch panels.

How come? What's weird about a 24port RJ45 Cat6 patch panel? (Two bottom ones)

The top one is slightly different, but serves the same purpose.

Espeically since you can see them clear as day with that huge picture

Yeah, sorry - this forum doesn't auto re-size and I can't be bothered doing it myself.

Cleanup job I've been working on for a customer.
We added 14 IP cameras and a POE switch, so I decided to move all the cabling to the adjacent wall. Gives me a lot more space to work with. The shelf in the first picture was shortened, moved under the backboard, and houses the router and UPS.

How come? What's weird about a 24port RJ45 Cat6 patch panel? (Two bottom ones)

The top one is slightly different, but serves the same purpose.

I'm just used to Leviton-type ones, that's all. Yours is all purdy :D

PSA: Check your UPS batteries. The APC self-test routine did not pick these up.

Hahaha nice. Yep even gel cells can have issues under certain circumstances. Interesting that only one 48v string blew though. Maybe it was actually thermal runaway or something related to a bad battery.

I've seen similar with battery banks in roadside telco equipment (DMS star module if I recall). Telco equipment like that can see very extreme temps, being outside.

I'd hate to see APC's price to replace those too.

Hahaha nice. Yep even gel cells can have issues under certain circumstances. Interesting that only one 48v string blew though. Maybe it was actually thermal runaway or something related to a bad battery.

I've seen similar with battery banks in roadside telco equipment (DMS star module if I recall). Telco equipment like that can see very extreme temps, being outside.

I'd hate to see APC's price to replace those too.

I just replaced 8 of mine for $145. I'd consider that reasonable.

I just replaced 8 of mine for $145. I'd consider that reasonable.

Wow that's actually not too bad, when I wanted to replace just one they wanted like over 100 bucks. I can get those same batteries at a local electrical shop for about 15 bucks. :D

PSA: Check your UPS batteries. The APC self-test routine did not pick these up.

Get used it when running APC gear. They overcharge and overheat batteries. Probably on purpose to keep up their profits by selling you replacements. I've dumped them and switched to Cyberpower for cheap installs and Eaton for expensive installs.

3AEZyl.jpg

oLtq0l.jpg

IrvMrl.jpg

From a few years ago. The lids of the batteries were deflected a good 1". I had to completely disassemble the APC unit to get the batteries out. Total pain in the ass. A colleague of mine had that happen to him on an APC SU2200. He had to pop all of the rivets out to get the blown batteries removed.

Interesting I heard the same thing about APC overcharging batteries when I was doing research into how feasible it is to hookup marine batteries to them. I ended up going the inverter-charger route instead.

When I worked at a hospital I had a call out from the help desk saying there was a UPS that caught fire. I got there and I could smell the famous burnt electronics smell throughout the main promenade, and I got to the location of the UPS and it smelled very strong in that room. They had unplugged it and everything so there was no actual fire, but lets just say it was burnt up. The battery was extremely hot to the touch too. They told me when they first caught it, it was just spewing out smoke and sparks. Guessing it went into thermal runaway or something and was just shorting out. That was a fun night.

Gotta like those totally off the wall call out moments. Sure beats the typical "computer froze in middle of surgery" troubles. :p

I once got a call saying the UPS had faild, It was a monster of a UPS that was 2 6ft cabinets. I asked what was the issue to be told they were underwater as the basement had flooded floor to ceiling.

Pretty clean jeff... but what's with the 4 routers/etc... don't tell me those are the PoE switches for the cameras?

Those are Ubiquiti POE switches for the cameras. They use 24V instead of 48V so we couldn't use the HP switch. Tried to get the customer to buy 2-8 port switches and the rack bracket but the cost was quite a bit more.

Those are Ubiquiti POE switches for the cameras. They use 24V instead of 48V so we couldn't use the HP switch. Tried to get the customer to buy 2-8 port switches and the rack bracket but the cost was quite a bit more.

They make adapters that convert 48v to 24v
http://streakwave.com/Itemdesc.asp?ic=I8023AF-ID
We have them on all of our APs. I have not tested them with their cams but they should work.

Our Fibre cab has finally been installed. Still no sign of the kit yet though

Last edited:
Silver ones are 3750 POE editions, however it's hard to tell with the image if they are 3750G editions or not but the Green ones are 3560 non POE 100mb switches.

waiting on my end of year gifts to arrive :( EMC VNX5800 should be showing up soon along with two Avamar nodes

weird... that's why I didn't go with the airvision camera for a CHEAP ip camera... the quality isn't that great even for the price, and it's not 802.3af... uses a lower voltage, so odd for PoE...

weird... that's why I didn't go with the airvision camera for a CHEAP ip camera... the quality isn't that great even for the price, and it's not 802.3af... uses a lower voltage, so odd for PoE...

yeah, I realized that now...lol

Just got done building this wall rack. I am not in the IT biz, so it is what it is.

Zyxel USG 100 With Blue Coat WebPulse feed/proxy., old definition AV and IDS.

Sophos/Astaro Home UTM in bridge mode = 8 Core Atom (22nm ) Rangeley processor in Supermicro Super Server. (maybe, custom built Kingston ram due this Friday. Lets hope the ISO loads )

Zyxel GS1900 smart switch. (no 16 port Procurve available and I am only a GUI guy = no Cisco)

Everything including cable power amp uses .6 amps to .8 (full load) = 70 watts and 95 watts

Small server rack
Wall server rack
Home server rack

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Back