Network pics thread

My Unifi AC order from Streakwave shipped!

ubnt-ap-ac-1.jpg

How much does it cost to run this Ubiquiti system in a home? I'm planning on deploying three of them and hoping it allows for seamless roaming as my current problem is the range extenders I have are horrible! Any advice would be extremely appreciated!

How much does it cost to run this Ubiquiti system in a home? I'm planning on deploying three of them and hoping it allows for seamless roaming as my current problem is the range extenders I have are horrible! Any advice would be extremely appreciated!

To be honest, one regular one covers my entire house and yard with full strength. 3 will be overkill.

I have a lathe and plaster house that absolutely kills reception from normal home routers and our house is a 1500 ft^2 1 bath 3 bed place. I bought two unifi units (~$80 each I think but there's a kit for three for less per unit) and stuck them in closets towards the front and back of the house and the coverage is awesome now.

Roaming gets a little tricky since their signals are strong enough to cover the whole house alone, but not at full network capacity (dropping from 130mbps to 78 or 54) so sometimes moving to the rear of the house keeps a device stick on the "front" unit, but after a while it'll resettle on its own or I can lok into the management page and force a reconnect to reassign the devive to the strongest unit.

The cool part is that reconnecting causes no noticeable packet drops, so remote desktop connections, VPN sessions and streaming video or audio doesn't hitch at all.

For a single story moderately sized home with modern sheetrock walls, two units will give excellent coverage.

To be honest, one regular one covers my entire house and yard with full strength. 3 will be overkill.

Yeah I have one in my basement and it's "pointing" down, so not the most optimal, but even then I get a usable signal even from my driveway which, if I had to guess is a good 30 feet away from it. Depending on how far I am, the signal would have to go through the cinder block wall and even ground. Signal is weak mind you (1 bar) but I can still use it fine. If I flipped it over or put it higher up like on the main floor it would probably cover a couple houses. I love these, because they're so affordable too.

Thought you guys might like my CCNP lab. I'm thinking I might add some of my Checkpoint stuff to it as well to do some full large scale case studies before finishing my CCNP

Top to Bottom
Cisco 2509
Cisco 2621xm
Cisco 2610
Cisco WS-C3550-24PWR-SMI
Cisco WS-C3550-48-SMI
Cisco WS-C3750G-24TS-S
2x Cisco 1841s
Cisco 3640
Cisco WS-C3550-24

Thought you guys might like my CCNP lab. I'm thinking I might add some of my Checkpoint stuff to it as well to do some full large scale case studies before finishing my CCNP

Top to Bottom
Cisco 2509
Cisco 2621xm
Cisco 2610
Cisco WS-C3550-24PWR-SMI
Cisco WS-C3550-48-SMI
Cisco WS-C3750G-24TS-S
2x Cisco 1841s
Cisco 3640
Cisco WS-C3550-24

Haha Cisco lab right in middle of living room, now that is [H]ard. :D Pretty nice setup though.

Wired up my house when I moved in a few months ago, some pics of the process:

Behind the credenza (router, printer, vonage, spare) - there are 11 data jacks in my office alone (5 behind my desk, 2 behind wifes, 4 behind credenza...)
17015_4538573697824_431716329_n.jpg

Switch/patch panel in basement:
563414_4538227169161_353174276_n.jpg

Some of the cables, there are double the cables now
31920_4524955477377_158687605_n.jpg

Fishing wire up for alarm panel
48034_4804272260122_1795824982_n.jpg

alarm panel (which is also a zwave controller)
529390_4804800673332_1620606960_n.jpg

11129_4804800433326_1312376848_n.jpg

Looking cool!

That reminds me, I'll probably want to run some jacks around the basement before I drywall. I'm far from that stage though.

Check out the AMX stuff for home automation. Very cool stuff we are doing with it around our offices.

- Air con control
- TV/LCD/Blue Ray/Free to Air etc control
- Phone Control (Integration into Cisco Call Manager)
- Meeting Room Control (Integration into Exchange)
- Lighting Control (Dim/Bright/Medium)

All done via iPad.

http://www.amx.com/

I too am jealous of his Roto-Kabob

+1!

Adam, did you do all that wiring after the walls were up?
If so, how difficult is it to wire without putting exploratory holes everywhere?
I can be patient, but I don't want to be cutting holes where I don't need to.

I just want to wire my living room and my office, but they are both pretty far from the main drop. I would most likely go under the house for the living room and into the attic for the office, but I am more worried about how to get the wire to the specific spot I want without really knowing where any other wires/obstructions/etc. are in the wall. That and having to drill through horizontal studs or whatever.

Cleaned it up again after the TWC fiber install.

We're now 100/100Mbps at the main office to the internet with 30Mbps private to each remote site. :)

Wired up my house when I moved in a few months ago, some pics of the process:

Behind the credenza (router, printer, vonage, spare) - there are 11 data jacks in my office alone (5 behind my desk, 2 behind wifes, 4 behind credenza...)
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/17015_4538573697824_431716329_n.jpg

Switch/patch panel in basement:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/563414_4538227169161_353174276_n.jpg

Some of the cables, there are double the cables now
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/31920_4524955477377_158687605_n.jpg

Fishing wire up for alarm panel
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/48034_4804272260122_1795824982_n.jpg

alarm panel (which is also a zwave controller)
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/529390_4804800673332_1620606960_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/11129_4804800433326_1312376848_n.jpg
Just curious, but how do you "hook up" or "automate" things like lighting? Is there like a module you plug into Ethernet, and the module itself being the man-in-the-middle between electricity outlet and device you wish to have control over?

We're now 100/100Mbps at the main office to the internet with 30Mbps private to each remote site. :)

How do you like the TWC fiber? And what did it cost you? I'm looking into either going with business class cable from TWC, or picking up a few more customers (to offset the costs) and going with TWC fiber or a local fiber provider.

How do you like the TWC fiber? And what did it cost you? I'm looking into either going with business class cable from TWC, or picking up a few more customers (to offset the costs) and going with TWC fiber or a local fiber provider.

Somewhere around $3,800/mo for 100/100 burstable with a 30Mbps commit. That includes the 30Mbps private lines at all 4 sites also. The 100/100 is about $1,700 of it if I'm not mistaken. I'd expect about $2k at least depending on your area and if you don't put any other services with it. Not to mention how much build out if any they'll need to do. I think there was about $70-$80k in build out. Term is also going to be a pretty big factor.

We also opted for a 60/mo term this time around, we normally shoot for 24 and don't go higher than 36. However it was a $1,000/mo~ difference. We were paying about $4500 from AT&T for MIS fiber of 20/20/10/10 across the locations. So this private/public network mix is much faster and so far proven reliable, haven't had any issues yet. We had plenty of issues with AT&T on a regular basis. :(

we have a 40/40 fiber here in St. Pete, FL that we could up to 100mbps if needed but doesn't burst to it.

We pay $600/month.

we have a 40/40 fiber here in St. Pete, FL that we could up to 100mbps if needed but doesn't burst to it.

We pay $600/month.

I wish, all of our locations are in the middle of nowhere, so we always have build out fluffed into the mix.

However I'm happy with it, since we were paying more for AT&T's shitty quality service.

This whole thing has been about 2 years in the making.

We had about $5000 in T1's + $6500 in VoIP per month. Then we dropped it to $4500 and $2000, and now $3500 and $2000, so from $11.5/mo~ down to $5.5K~ currently is much better for us on our entire setup. Plus we have better overall service and capacity. It's definitely a huge improvement for us.

The company I work for is doing almost all the connectivity for the Trayvon Martin/George Zimmerman trial media.

I'm told over 200 news crews will be on-site.

zimm-trial.JPG

Last edited:

can you take a picture of the rear of the rack? I'd be interested in how you are racking your UPS's halfway up the rack. Are you using some kind of rear support?

Just curious, but how do you "hook up" or "automate" things like lighting? Is there like a module you plug into Ethernet, and the module itself being the man-in-the-middle between electricity outlet and device you wish to have control over?

In my case I'm using zwave, but it's really the same for any automated technology.

The way Zwave works in my case is a wireless signal is sent from my alarm keypad (the keypad has a zwave controller built into it). This signal is read by a light switch. My light switch is actually getting POWER (to power up the zwave device inside it)... and it basically triggers it on/off.

Now with other systems such as HAI for example, it sends a signal over the power lines itself. The panel has a module connected to it via serial, this module is plugged into an outlet (typically an outlet right off the electrical box for best results)... and the signal travels over the power lines. Each "outlet" or "light switch" you install has an "ID"... you bsaically program the panel for the different ID's in the switch and that's how its controlled.

zwave is easy to do, and in fact at my last job where we had 4 electrical panels, we used zwave because we could not tie into 4 panels.

downside to zwave is its wireless so if you have a LARGE building, you may not be able to make it... the nice part is they will JUMP.. meaning it will jump from the "panel" to the first device, then from that device to 2nd, and so forth till it gets to your last device, up to i believe "4 hops" so to speak.

But it was easy, im no electrician. I basically removed my old switch for my outside light, and then wired this in with the hot/neutral going to it, so that its always powered... easy.

Some pics not taken by me (links in pics to oringinal galleries) from lanparty where I worked as staff :)

Our primary core switch handling most of table switches on the left (nobody took good pic from that 24sfp ZTE switch :/)

Secondary core switch handling 3 switches, 2 fibers to ZTE switch.

Our ancient server HW with some mikrotik CCRs, you ought to have routing power for 1Gbps connection. Top CCR is in use, bottom one is configured hot-spare.

Last edited:
Wow s0lid I have to say... I am speechless. Awesome equipment man.

If some of you are up for a small EMC "what-product-is-this" trivia then I'll post some pictures of our test lab this afternoon :).

Lil project I'm putting together.

I've been working on my CCNP for a good while now, just passed Route, and Hopefully will pass Switch and Tshoot this month sometime, but this has my full attention now.

IMG_20130605_133543.jpg

This is set up for remote access studying for CCNP and CCNA, eventually for profit.

Soon it will contain:

CCNP Rack:

2x 3560
2x 3550
2x 2611xm
1x 2611 w/NM-ESW-16
2x 1751 (hosts)

CCNA Rack:

3x 1841
3x 3550
2x 2611

They are remote access, and remote IP powered, with the Black Boxes you see, which is a Synaccess 88G2. If you find one of these, buy it. I don't know that I've come across anything else that has both remote power and a built-in 8 port access server. Especially get them if you can get them for what I did, $150 for the pair. You pretty much have to build your own cables as they are rs232 to Cisco, and I don't think they pin out the same as for the 25xx RJ access servers.

20130611_080731.jpg

Soon the CCNA rack will also have a JNCIS node as well with likely 2x SRX210H, and 2x EX2200-C-12P-2G.

My old HTPC case that I first posted on HardForum's during the build of, is getting rack mounts, and will be a VM/TFTP box.

I'll keep you posted.

If there is anyone interested, this will eventually be rented at very reasonable rates compared to the CCIE companies, with pretty much many of the bells and whistles they have. The plan is currently to charge $5/5.5 hour block for the CCNA rack. (I know all CCNA sims can be done on GNS3, and packet tracer, so this is for the person that just really wants to be in live gear.), and $10/5.5 hour block for the CCNP rack, focused on CCNP switch, which, of course, is dfficult to simulate.

Check out the progress either here, or at the blog of the longest CCNP journey ever :rolleyes:

www.ccnporbust.blogspot.com

And if anyone is looking for some network install stuff, I have a bunch on ebay acquired in the deal that resulted in the two post racks. 66blocks, 110block and other related material.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251281972214?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Fibre! That looks like a pretty serious setup!

Wow s0lid I have to say... I am speechless. Awesome equipment man.

Well hardly serious setup nor that awesome gear except CCRs or the ZTE switch which handled most of connections to table switches.
Everything except ZTE switch and CCRs were bonk, old hardware dropped from production or bought at insanely low prices for this yearly event along the years.
What comes to using fiber rather than cat cable, we just had it nearly 2 kilometers in 15m pieces and some LC-LC extension bits. I actually got pics of that pile in this thread somewhere.

Back