Network pics thread

LOL, Dash - what did you get banned for??

darn, was i really that obvious ? I started a new leaf, not to post anything rude, and to read READ and read my post before pressing submit..

probably for whoring Untangle out so hardcore it was starting to become blatantly obvious he was just a corporate shill....:p

Wrong, much much worse !

Now the cat's outa the bag, guess ill see how long till i'm into trouble or acc's turned off.

darn, was i really that obvious ? I started a new leaf, not to post anything rude, and to read READ and read my post before pressing submit..

You obviously didn't "read read" that post before hitting submit lol...

My Equallogic PS6110X arrived other day. Going to rack that and probably take a quick pic of it. Real nice piece of equipment by the look of it.

Did a lot of work redoing my core network with the previous picture that I am taking into production.

Juniper opened EX2200 series to do Virtual Chassis without an EFL license, so I switched my 3x 2200's into a VC, then created a lag bundle across the chassis using 2 sfp's from each switch to my core.

Should be a huge improvement in robustness and fault tolerance from a network standpoint, and a really good place to start our first SAN.

The 6110x are very nice, we are using several of them at work.

Awesome to hear, I was quite happy with the few demos I got covering SANHQ and setting the devices up.

Still not entirely sure how to go about switching our data to the SAN, but that is coming.

Awesome to hear, I was quite happy with the few demos I got covering SANHQ and setting the devices up.

Still not entirely sure how to go about switching our data to the SAN, but that is coming.

I am stacking a 8024 + 8024F in each rack for SAN. They have worked out pretty well so far. Using SFP+ twinax 10Gb from servers to SAN, and 10Gb Ethernet from Equallogics to SAN.

Similar to what I am doing. Good to hear!

If youre using powerconnects, take a look in the docs at a feature called iscsi enable. It detects equallogics using LLDP, and enables a lot of features like jumbo frames, unicast storm control, flow control, and port fast. It also enables you to see iscsi connections across the switch via the CLI.

You can manually enable these individually if you wish.

It would be so great to be able to set MTU on a per port basis or per vlan basis. The same switch I use for my iSCSI network is also the switch that hosts my home network vlan, a heartbeat vlan and a few others.

If youre using powerconnects, take a look in the docs at a feature called iscsi enable. It detects equallogics using LLDP, and enables a lot of features like jumbo frames, unicast storm control, flow control, and port fast. It also enables you to see iscsi connections across the switch via the CLI.

You can manually enable these individually if you wish.

Pure juniper shop :p

It would be so great to be able to set MTU on a per port basis or per vlan basis. The same switch I use for my iSCSI network is also the switch that hosts my home network vlan, a heartbeat vlan and a few others.

i dont know of any switch that would do MTU per port/vlan, MAYBE a Cisco 6500 chassis could do it (i'd have to play around) i know for a fact a 3560G i setup for iSCSI won't support it, setting up jumbo frames/MTU was a global config change and required a reload to take effect. i'm only speaking from my (admittedly semi-limited) cisco switching experience. Juniper stuff may do it, not sure.

i dont know of any switch that would do MTU per port/vlan, MAYBE a Cisco 6500 chassis could do it (i'd have to play around) i know for a fact a 3560G i setup for iSCSI won't support it, setting up jumbo frames/MTU was a global config change and required a reload to take effect. i'm only speaking from my (admittedly semi-limited) cisco switching experience. Juniper stuff may do it, not sure.
A lot of the chassis Cisco switches will support it. I know that my 4507R does because I just tested it. Even the old 4006 that I still have running a few things (5+ year uptime now), will let you do it on the gigabit interfaces and VLANs.

I have my MTU's set per VLAN on my HP chassis

Yeah. Typically the chassis-based switches will do it, but your smaller, 1U switches won't. Not Cisco, not HP, not Dell.

It's a pity because I'd love to ramp up MTU, but I'm not going to power up a dedicated switch to do it.

Most full-managed HP & Dell switches I've worked on allow per-port or VLAN MTU customization. I even set an OLD HP 3400cl (which is a 1u switch) the other day which allowed MTU per VLAN.

Last edited:
Yeah. Typically the chassis-based switches will do it, but your smaller, 1U switches won't. Not Cisco, not HP, not Dell.

It's a pity because I'd love to ramp up MTU, but I'm not going to power up a dedicated switch to do it.

I disagree, I've worked with quite a few 1u switches that allow MTU customization. Many of which are HP and Dell.

New server that I bought for a project involving a number of GPUs (4 or 5 dual slot cards). Thinking of getting another for my house too. It's surprisingly quiet.

P1020092.jpg

New server that I bought for a project involving a number of GPUs (4 or 5 dual slot cards). Thinking of getting another for my house too. It's surprisingly quiet.
*snip*
Bitcoin? Presumably something to do with OpenCL/CUDA?

You know thanksgiving was boring when your dining table looks like this:

HDD-swap.jpg

Someone asked me to update as to the reliability of these WD20EFRX drives.
After ~5 months of use, no issues at all.
Of course this server is not getting thrashed like an enterprise installation would be, but for my home NAS they've been completely reliable thus far.
Only possible issue is the higher RRER of disk 6.

ReadyNASHealth4-16-2013_zps8ba87a68.jpg

ReadyNASSMART4-16-2013_zps41349618.jpg

This pictures thread has been devoid of pictures lately. I'll help.

Got some new 2960S 740W POE at work to configure up:

NpDiCRCl.jpg

Random question, why do they put both USB and standard console ports on the newer Cisco gear?
I've never programmed a Cisco device using that USB port nor seen it done.

Back