Network pics thread

Our humble little network (physical). I'm hoping to pick up another ESXi box, a NAS, and a v1910 soon. With all the issues I've been having getting iSCSI datastores to work right, a virtual network diagram may never show up.

Yeah you are going to have issues running your internal network on the same vlan and subnet as your iSCSI network. You need to segment them.

Yeah you are going to have issues running your internal network on the same vlan and subnet as your iSCSI network. You need to segment them.
Thankfully, the v1810 that's coming in tomorrow supports just such a thing! Didn't have an option on my E2000. (Or if I did, I couldn't find it!)

Your iSCSI network should be on a different VLAN, and should use a different set of NICs than your normal data network as well. OTherwise you may run into issues as well.

My humble home rack atm. When i get hotswap chassis for fileserver I'll move the stuff over to rack. (the stuff on the table).

9.jpg

10.jpg

In it atm:
5000VA APC UPS (Rack ears missing, getting ebayed)
Dell MD1000
Supermicro SC823 (For ESXi box)

Got the rack cabin for free, but damn is it heavy. Well built alteast :D
Also bought HP StorageWorks MSA70 yesterday from ebay (120usd so why not). Time to pinch money from next months pay for 15-16 3.5" bay chassis for fileserver.

Yeah Compaq 9000 rack. Made by Rittal iirc, inspection sticker is dated september 1999 :D

My little rack. There are a number of devices not shown. Mostly what is here will be used for CCNA testing/learning.

i2FaplNl.jpg

pKcIveNl.jpg

qJpqzZYl.jpg

E6X9afpl.jpg

Here is my home rack:

Nothing compared to yours, but here in Italy every friend that see it asks me if I have a datacenter.. :D

From the top of my IKEA rack: :p
HP Microserver 8GB RAM, 2x2TB, 2x1TB and 256GB SSD with Windows 2008R2 + Hyper-V
Switch HP 1800-24G
Watchguard x750e with 1,7Ghz Pentium-M and pfSense
UPS APC Smart 1500VA

lots of fiber goodness :D

in the last picture, under the first switch, what's that thing with the blue face that only takes up half the width of a U?

Added a bit to my personal stuff at work (however not all of it is pictured). Up to 6 servers in that rack, but the bottom chassis won't be there much longer. Sadly had to replace my 48 port Cisco switch with a Dell I had laying around, but I'll have it back soon.

2013-02-20-0017s.jpg

1Us have 2 nodes each and two quad cores with 16gb of RAM and a couple 250gb drives per. 4U Supermicro is just a low power 1155 dual core with 8gb RAM, Areca 1882i, SLC SSD to boot, and filled with 2TB Hitachi disks. It also has 12 drive bays on the back that aren't visible for a total of 36. The 4U Norco has an older quad core with 4gb RAM, Areca 1880i, HP SAS expander, another SLC SSD, and is also filled with 2TB Hitachi disks. Both arrays are RAID 6 and I have 10gbe running between the two servers thanks to some Intel NICs.

Got a shipment of 3750X's today that will be replacing old 2950's at 10 of our schools

photo.jpg

Why do you need 3750x's for L2 connectivity? I push 2960's for L2 and they are a fraction of the cost. I'm guessing you are erate 90% and you don't care?

Why do you need 3750x's for L2 connectivity? I push 2960's for L2 and they are a fraction of the cost. I'm guessing you are erate 90% and you don't care?

There are a lot of reasons to go with the 3750X over a 2960S. Bigger stacks, more features (ISE could be a big deal here), dual power, etc.

We are 90% erate. We are going to be replacing 2950's which are obviously 10/100 but I'm not going to argue if we can get 3750's over 2960's even if it is just for L2.

A school district in New Jersey but wow that article is crazy.

Believe me, there are a lot of things that don't make sense on how they are done. A perfect example is that all of the schools that are getting the new 3750's are also getting new 6506's or 6509's....each with two 48 port gigabit POE cards....oh and dont forget the 10Gb capable supervisor that will only be running 1Gb for the next couple of years. Of course there are a lot of things that could be done better and now that I have been here I can start to put my .02 in there and see what I can do but with all of the money they give and the plan they put out there, I am not going to argue when I get a bunch of cool new stuff to play with :)

I'm guessing you are erate 90% and you don't care?
THIS.
I've already told him he is wasting taxpayer money but his replies to me basically said the project had already started when he got there and/or he doesn't really have the knowledge/authority to submit a service sub or do any kind of reduction to the FRN. He PM'd me asking for advice and I gave him my email and told him to contact me any time and never heard from him.

2960S's all around here.

There are a lot of reasons to go with the 3750X over a 2960S. Bigger stacks, more features (ISE could be a big deal here), dual power, etc.

Even for a large school, none of those are issues for L2 traffic. 2960's stack just fine as i do it at my districts. I work with ALL kinds of schools small and large, and the only time we see this is when a vendor prices the highest priced equipment so they can get the most money out of the deal. Cisco looks the other way even if it's over engineered because they get their cut. I've seen 6509's decked out at 1a-2a districts, it's asinine and i really wish e-rate could afford to have staff to catch this shit.

We are 90% erate. We are going to be replacing 2950's which are obviously 10/100 but I'm not going to argue if we can get 3750's over 2960's even if it is just for L2.

Yep, that's what i figured. I'm not blaming you, but it really shows how flawed the e-rate system is :(

edit: anyone else that deals with e-rate, be sure you are talking to more then one vendor. Even if you have to get a quote from a random vendor you don't deal with. It will show if a vendor is doing this "buy the most expensive shit just because we can".

THIS.
I've already told him he is wasting taxpayer money but his replies to me basically said the project had already started when he got there and/or he doesn't really have the knowledge/authority to submit a service sub or do any kind of reduction to the FRN. He PM'd me asking for advice and I gave him my email and told him to contact me any time and never heard from him.

2960S's all around here.

I havent forgotten and I appreciate your offer for help. I definitely will get in touch with you, I have just been busy getting things ready. Part of the issue is my lack of understanding of the whole e-rate process and I would gladly take any input on it.

Ahh, e-rate. I don't remember any details about it now as it has been too long, but I remember that when I was introduced to it when I was in a rural high school of 150 students (20-25 graduating class) I was introduced to e-rate and how it works for the school district by one of the teachers. I can't speak for all schools, but schools are a business and the people running them try and take advantage of them as a business. They may be some staffers that care, but at the top it all comes down to $$$ and politics. It's all about the scores the school gets, and they will do what they can to either keep it or increase it without actually improving education in general or the experience for students.

I remember that at the same high school when I was either a sophomore or junior, the superintendent spent over $1500 on a small device that was basically just a metal box with LEDs and a button to cycle through three different sets of LEDs (it is that thing they use for basketball games that has a left arrow, a right arrow, and something in the middle). The purchase to me was immediate BS that had to have schlong-sucking involved. I found out that how the superintendent got to buying such a device for $1500+ was through a business friendship (or regular friendship or something).

(Again, I can't speak for all schools. I know there are wonderful schools out there that are properly managed and maintained and have good people at the top of the district chain.)

Business 101: Lots of schlong sucking and back scratching

Take the human element out of decision making and purchasing, base it on best probable results and a lot of companies would be out on the street.

2960S and 3560X are comparable in price, providing you use a single PSU and LAN Base.

As vito mentioned, 3560X/3750X are a huge plus if you're deploying ISE. (I'm in the process of replacing 200+ switches with 3560X's, 3560X's because of ISE)

Then again, nothing wrong with a 2960, I implemented a crap ton at schools when I was with a Cisco Partner.

easy solution to avoid that kind of thing in the future is simply ban cisco (or any other vendor that willingly rapes the city/state) for say 5 years from any city/county/state funded project.

The state obviously is the primary idiot in that situation, but you can't fix government incompetence unfortunately, so make the vendor be a little more responsible.

Actually i do, you can have your own opinion but I cover a large number of schools and not one of them need or could utilize that switch for a L2 access switch.

Actually i do, you can have your own opinion but I cover a large number of schools and not one of them need or could utilize that switch for a L2 access switch.

Take off the blinders. What you support isn't the whole world. Your statement was broad and ignorant. I work for a very large VAR and I see a lot of value in 3750s over 2960s - for reasons I listed above that you all but ignored.

Back