Network pics thread

Nice! Always fun to be able to do it from scratch. Also get them to run a 100 amp feeder to the server room, even if it's just the cable for now not going anywhere. Gives you the option of adding a sub panel in the future.

Also consider environmental monitoring, such as temperature, moisture, etc Maybe wired security system too. Wired is always better than wireless. Wired doorbell too... I have a wireless one, it sucks.

I'm jealous. :)

Remember: When in doubt, more outlets!

Yep, never ever ever ever install 1 outlet in a location, always run 2. Personally I never have less than 4 in a room (2 outlets on each side of room). I even run 2 lines to locations that will be access points. If 1 ever isn't right, the other is there. Swap over and fix it later.

Yep, never ever ever ever install 1 outlet in a location, always run 2. Personally I never have less than 4 in a room (2 outlets on each side of room). I even run 2 lines to locations that will be access points. If 1 ever isn't right, the other is there. Swap over and fix it later.

Thats a good point on AP's. Doing two to the AP's is actually what cisco says you should do as best practice. Just learned that the other day but it totally makes sense to me

A thing with power outlets too is it never hurts to make them dedicated MWBC's for areas that may have more need for power. Or if you are scared of the potential fallout of a floating neutral, just run two circuits per outlet (break both tabs). So instead of having an outlet that is 15 amps, you have an outlet that is two 15 amp outlets.

The guy started getting confused when I said I want cat 6 everywhere, I want zero phone lines ran, just cat 6, and have it all goto the utility room, unterminated and I can finish, just run the wires for me since they refuse to let me do anything due to liability if I hurt myself etc etc etc.

Find a better contractor. Liability can be handled and allow you to do whatever you want. They just want the high markup for doing it themselves.

Or have them install home-run conduit with pull cords for data, video, voice, home theater. Also have them run a conduit from your MDF out to the telco/cable/sattelite demarc on the outside of the house so you can upgrade to whatever later. I'm looking to use Carlon raceways, brackets, etc. to do the job.

Find a better contractor. Liability can be handled and allow you to do whatever you want. They just want the high markup for doing it themselves.

Or have them install home-run conduit with pull cords for data, video, voice, home theater. Also have them run a conduit from your MDF out to the telco/cable/sattelite demarc on the outside of the house so you can upgrade to whatever later. I'm looking to use Carlon raceways, brackets, etc. to do the job.

The conduits is a good idea, I will inquire about it.

As for doing it myself, they straight will not allow me to do any work during construction due to liability and the fact that I do not own the home until closing at the end of construction.

It will not be happening. I already tried.

Sneak in at night and run it.

No harm in letting them terminate its not rocket science.

Just tell them what you want and where you want.

Are you gettin an alarm installed? Usually they will run wires as well. Maybe have them do it

You may also want to consider getting some drops to outside for PoE cameras. They can be a bitch to run later.

Sneak in at night and run it.

A friend of mine tried that once.
He spent most of a night running lots and lots of ethernet and coax everywhere.
He came back two days later and found all of it in a pile in the garage.

A friend of mine tried that once.
He spent most of a night running lots and lots of ethernet and coax everywhere.
He came back two days later and found all of it in a pile in the garage.

Wow that sucks. It's your own house, they have no right to do anything but the job they were hired for. I would have made them rerun it free of charge.

Wow that sucks. It's your own house, they have no right to do anything but the job they were hired for. I would have made them rerun it free of charge.
sure...

but he probably didn't use the right type of cable, didn't follow code for where to drill holes, etc. and so yeah they have every right to pull it out. They would be held responsible for it.

He may not have owned the house either. Quite often the house belongs to the construction company until its finished and sold.

Hi all,

I've been trolling this thread for a few years now and I've finally got my act together (aka I now have pics of my setup), so here's what I've got going on in the guest bedroom "office" closet:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dbarsky/8544495551/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dbarsky/8544494759/in/photostream/

It includes:

• Furman Power Conditioner - tentatively used as a PDU, soon to be replaced with an actual APC PDU, possibly a UPS depending on $
  • Cisco ASA5510 - used to terminate IPSEC tunnels from remote sites (I have my parents, grandparents and my mom's small business using my Cisco Callmanager 8.6). I also use the ASA for AnyConnect access to my network
  • Cisco 3560 PoE - Core switch. I have 4 VLANs set up and this switch also handles all the inter-VLAN routing
  • Dell PowerEdge R610 with 24 gigs of ram - running ESXi 5.1 and hosting quite a few windows/linux VMs including Exchange 2010, Lync 2010, Domain Controller, File Server (replicated via DFS to other sites), CUCM 8.6

moved all my servers to colo... nothing too impressive compared to what you guys post but its all my own equipment so no big budgets here :)

from top top bottom

xServe Dual G5 2.3ghz 120Gb Intel SSD & 2Tb RAID1
xServe RAID 250Gb x14 RAID5+0
Dell PowerEdge R200 with a quad core2duo something, 2x OCZ vertex 4 120Gb RAID0 & 1Tb Barracuda ES - running ESXi 5.1
Dell PowerEdge R610 L5639 24gb ram 5x 160Gb vraptor 10k sata datastore, 160gb OCZ Vertex 4 & 2x dual 4Gb FC cards passed through to a VM - also running ESXi 5.1
EonStor 16x 2Tb RAID6
EonStor 16x 1Tb RAID5+HS
EonStor 16x 1Tb RAID5+HS

2013-03-11-01.19.17.jpg

2013-03-11-01.19.34.jpg

2013-03-11-01.20.20.jpg

got a pair of those dell c6100 servers coming in and a watchguard XTM 505... current watchguard x700 is running pfSense... XTX 505 is going to be for remote XTM devices at home and friends houses for VoIP phones

Last edited:
moved all my servers to colo... nothing too impressive compared to what you guys post but its all my own equipment so no big budgets here :)

from top top bottom

xServe Dual G5 2.3ghz 120Gb Intel SSD & 2Tb RAID1
xServe RAID 250Gb x14 RAID5+0
Dell PowerEdge R200 with a quad core2duo something, 2x OCZ vertex 4 120Gb RAID0 & 1Tb Barracuda ES - running ESXi 5.1
Dell PowerEdge R610 L5639 24gb ram 5x 160Gb vraptor 10k sata datastore, 160gb OCZ Vertex 4 & 2x dual 4Gb FC cards passed through to a VM - also running ESXi 5.1
EonStor 16x 2Tb RAID6
EonStor 16x 1Tb RAID5+HS
EonStor 16x 1Tb RAID5+HS

http://flecom.net/[h]/2013-03-11-01.19.17.jpg[/IM]

[IMG]http://flecom.net/[h]/2013-03-11-01.19.34.jpg[/IMG
[IG]http://flecom.net/[h]/2013-03-11-01.20.20.jpg

got a pair of those dell c6100 servers coming in and a watchguard XTM 505... current watchguard x700 is running pfSense... XTX 505 is going to be for remote XTM devices at home and friends houses for VoIP phones

And I get by with a single 5 year old C2Q9300 server with consumer grade components

sheesh.... lol :p

Nice, the xserve and RAID bring back memories of helping my HS network admin.

More ugly phone room pics:
<snip>

typical phone room in my experience. i've never seen a telco closet look much better than that. maybe a one or two places i've seen had better looming and cable management runs. what's coming in from that corning/fiber box? internet/wan?

Fiber comes in from at&t and goes into that Cisco switch, and then from the Cisco switch into one of the tenants' offices for internet I believe. This particular office is part of a large hospital system so it could be part of their WAN also.

Not so bad when it's a PHONE room, but I've seen network closets that look like that. Cat5 cable individual pairs BIXed in. No freaking wonder they had so many network troubles. LOL.

Yea, I am working towards getting a house this year, looking at building my own.

The guy started getting confused when I said I want cat 6 everywhere, I want zero phone lines ran, just cat 6, and have it all goto the utility room, unterminated and I can finish, just run the wires for me since they refuse to let me do anything due to liability if I hurt myself etc etc etc.

I cant wait to see their look when I ask for a ethernet cable in the ceiling for my AP's.

Guy was also a little confused when I said I will likely want my own L5 30amp circuit depending on how much they charge.

Room will be big enough for 4 post rack, and probably a folding table for working down there on it.

If I am going to be building a home, might as well get the IT requirements for my home out the way and matching what I want for the future as I start towards a smart home.

Thats crap. We'd never treat a homeowner that way. Letting little kids run around a jobsite is one thing, but if they aren't buttoning up the house at the end of the day so its safe for a homeowner to walk through, they shouldn't be working construction.

Finally rackmounted my office and humble network...
network30.jpg

network31.jpg

Had to hack the APC SmartUPS 2200XL because it had a very noisy fan that would run all the time (at 24v no less). The challenge was to build a rackmounted system that was extremely quiet. Took me a while but I'm almost done...

network32.jpg

I'm currently running a good old WRT-54G with DD-WRT installed but fully plan on building a PC-based router when I can. I am also planning on replacing the Netgear switch with a fanless HP switch that is rackmountable (and fairly expensive). I was running an old Dell PowerConnect 2774 but just couldn't stand the fan noise.

More ugly phone room pics:
IMG]http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q631/mossman11/monarch/IMG_6608_zpse38949f5.jpg[/IMG]

IMG]http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q631/mossman11/monarch/IMG_6610_zpse3064cbe.jpg[/IMG]

IMG]http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q631/mossman11/monarch/IMG_6609_zps142360f3.jpg[/IMG]

IMG]http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q631/mossman11/monarch/IMG_6611_zps572ea3aa.jpg[/IMG]

Thats not a telco closet. This is a telco closet.

lNlFvEOl.jpg

That's huge, must be a pretty big building. It looks like it's almost as big as the main distribution frame where I work... a telco CO. :D

My main server rack and small comms cab both need redoing so thought i'd get a before shot:

Last edited:
Back