Network pics thread

LOL that's hilarious. I saw a similar setup like that in a school but it was a shelf literally over the toilet, there was a big ass tower server on there, switch and keyboard, mouse and monitor. Was actually a safety hazard. There was a pic of the admin sitting on the toilet holding the keyboard lol. Funny stuff.

This is what happens when a building is designed in a way where there is zero utility room/closet and that stuff is only considered at the very end.

Always a good day when FedEx brings you something that looks like this:

2013-01-30_12-29-48_558s.jpg

ran into this today. how convenient

YloenjR.jpg

That's called the "crapper switch" were I work. Yes, it's prevalent enough to warrant a term of this occurrance. I know of at least 3 crapper switches in our buildings.

Heres mine.

Cisco 2960g as my core switch
Cisco ASA5505 as my edge router doing my NAT, DHCP, Firewall and VPN termination
Netgear WNDR3700 v2 in AP mode
WD Sentinel 4TB as my Main file/media server in RAID 1
DOCSIS 3.0 eMTA 50/10
(on top) HP Micro Server running FreeNas with two 2TB drives RAID 1 as backup server

HomeNetwork_zps1ab4c6aa.jpg

That's called the "crapper switch" were I work. Yes, it's prevalent enough to warrant a term of this occurrance. I know of at least 3 crapper switches in our buildings.

I would hate to be the intern that has to take the switches apart and clean them out. All those poop particles......yikes...

Found this whilst clearing out a predecessors files from circa 2001...

Is that a blow-up sheep? things were wild back in 2001...
"what happens in the server room, stays in the server room"..

i know where one of those old Compaq DL360 machines still in production is.. Sad..

the amount of electricity and cooling saved will pay off in no time!

What are the dell workstations doing in the background?

I'd gladly take some of those 2950s. They could replace some of the 2650s that I still have in production at the school.

Got a great deal on some refurbed ap's. Going to swap out some older models that are still deployed.

pBskUnNl.jpg

Out with the old, in with the new...

17 PE2950s with 32gb of ram
Rb2ydHBl.jpg

Serious question.

What actually happens to servers that are decommissioned like that? I know some companies lease hardware and it goes back to them. What do most companies do with hardware that they owned?

If its out of warranty it goes to a recycling vendor most of the time or to a test lab. Sometimes I'd keep parts around if I still had a few laying around.

Ask QHalo said, its all out of warranty. We are going to keep a couple of the 64gb hosts as lab but after that its going to be sold or recycled.

We don't lease any of our hardware but its something I want to look into. With virtualization and redundancy its easy to move between just about any type of hardware. in this upgrade alone we swapped out network switching and servers with no downtime.

Back