Network pics thread

Drive by this cell tower every day. Makes me giggle :]

8370976458_512e3461f7_c.jpg

Woah how many sectors do they have on there LOL.

New Brocade ICX6610 PoE's going in a few weeks to our office. I gotta go over our current Cisco config and adapt it to Brocade. I actually prefer the vlan-to-port as opposed to the port-to-vlan approach Brocade has over the Cisco :D

photoxje.jpg

So sexy seeing that many ports together. So many things I could do with those. :p As in, plugin lot of devices and stuff. :p

They are old as time LOL. But they are pretty solid. If only they had POE+

Last edited:
New Brocade ICX6610 PoE's going in a few weeks to our office. I gotta go over our current Cisco config and adapt it to Brocade. I actually prefer the vlan-to-port as opposed to the port-to-vlan approach Brocade has over the Cisco :D

photoxje.jpg

Question is, how loud are those brocades? I know the foundry/brocades we've had around and the ones my boss used to use are loud as hell

Coded the alarm display interface for my environmental monitoring program. What started off as a simple personal program is something I'll probably be releasing to the public.

My job sorta inspired this, I work in a NOC. :D

It sends out emails too. So if I'm at work I'll get an email for server related alarms, hydro outage so I can keep an eye on voltage, and even if the mouse traps in my attic get set off.

I'm still looking into the best way to wire up the smoke detectors to it. I was going to rig something on a standard detector, but there's a new safety place that opened in town so I might go check them out to see if they have detectors that already have alarm point terminals. I also want to monitor sump pit water level and stuff like that. I already monitor temperature, so if my furnace fails or something and it gets too cold I'll get an alarm.

Great to have since I work 12 hour shifts sometimes so it's good to be able to keep an eye on that stuff and react to it instead of getting home to a disaster.

I eventually want to add stuff like graphing of values etc... this is one thing Pandora does that I find pretty neat. But Pandora lacks in every other department such as the inability to set a min/high, and the alerting is a pain to setup too. My program is all text file based and really easy to use.

rrx3quM.jpg

Pulled this out of a secured area today due to a loud sound (fans dying rapidly) reported by the end user. It was running code from 1998 and no one knows when it was put into service. 15 years, now that is quality hardware.

Nice. They sure don't make stuff like they usd to. Our DMS100 telephony switch has been operating for about 30 years non stop. It's never gone down. Northern Telecom / Nortel made solid stuff. :D Well cards fail here and there but there's so much redundancy on that thing a couple dead cards never hurt anyone. :p

rrx3quM.jpg

Pulled this out of a secured area today due to a loud sound (fans dying rapidly) reported by the end user. It was running code from 1998 and no one knows when it was put into service. 15 years, now that is quality hardware.

I have one of those 2924xl. I was hearing a loud whining sound. I bought replacement fans. And it is still moving along. except 2 ports that are toast. The rest work well.

tumblr_mgy9kkcaa61qzj4hso1_500.jpg

My network cupboard.

At the top an IP Gigaset box for a couple dect phones
Below a mini itx (forgotten spec) running Asterisk
The second ITX is the new Pfsense firewall to replace the Firebox X500. Spec: Jetway NF9HQL-525 board 1.8ghz, 2GB RAM, 4 gbit ethernet, Wireless N
To the right WRT54g running OpenWRT (to be replaced once the new Pfsense box is configured)
Under that the 2Wire Router from BT for our ADSL
Then finally 2x 16 port patch panels providing at least 2 ports in each room
In the bottom of there a Netgear GS116e gigabit router.

Elsewhere I have an old desktop running ESXi 5 running a few VMs for file storage and projects.

rrx3quM.jpg

I have one of those 2924xl. I was hearing a loud whining sound. I bought replacement fans. And it is still moving along. except 2 ports that are toast. The rest work well.

I have one too, given to me by a member of this forum, no less, for only the cost to ship it.

I learned a lot playing around on that switch. :)

Wish I was allowed to post pictures of the stuff I work with now! :D

Semi related. My gaming Clan is moving from Dedicated servers to collocation to save us some cash. (A lot of cash)

Will be hosted at http://www.net2ez.com at EWR1 Piscataway, New Jeresey.

First server is built. Second one (Completely identical) will arrive early next week to finish building.

32gb of ram
E3 1270v2
4 1tb HD's raid 10

IMG_20130122_194247.jpg

I have one too, given to me by a member of this forum, no less, for only the cost to ship it.

I learned a lot playing around on that switch. :)

Wish I was allowed to post pictures of the stuff I work with now! :D

Yep. I can post pictures of the junk, but that is about it.

Nice stuff! When I ran my UO game server I had considered colocation. I should have done it from the get go, since I threw away so much money over the 5 years the server ran. It's crazy how you get anally rapped when you lease. Want 1GB of extra ram? 20-50 bucks a month! You pay the hardware like 100 times lol.

Semi related. My gaming Clan is moving from Dedicated servers to collocation to save us some cash. (A lot of cash)

Will be hosted at http://www.net2ez.com at EWR1 Piscataway, New Jeresey.

First server is built. Second one (Completely identical) will arrive early next week to finish building.

32gb of ram
E3 1270v2
4 1tb HD's raid 10

IMG_20130122_194247.jpg

You should like these. I have a pair, same setup, 6m uptime, 2x512gb SSD+ 2x3TB Seagates. Using one as a temporary ESXi host and the other as our NVR for my Ubiquiti gear + management box. My only complaint is the onboard raid sucked and I ended up tossing two LSI raid cards in. (ESXi does not like software onboard raid.)

You should like these. I have a pair, same setup, 6m uptime, 2x512gb SSD+ 2x3TB Seagates. Using one as a temporary ESXi host and the other as our NVR for my Ubiquiti gear + management box. My only complaint is the onboard raid sucked and I ended up tossing two LSI raid cards in. (ESXi does not like software onboard raid.)

I have been arguing with the onboard raid like crazy.

I couldn't get the server 2012 to install without the motherboard being set to LSI raid mode vs intel. 2012 wouldn't detect it, and when I loaded the drivers, still didn't work..

I don't think I can justify tossing another few hundred for a raid controller per server for something like this.

Windows for a game server? Do games not have dedicated (linux) servers anymore? (Man I sound old)

Windows for a game server? Do games not have dedicated (linux) servers anymore? (Man I sound old)

A lot of games do not however, it is running Server 2012 Datacenter Hyper-V. I will have around 40 public IP addresses between the two servers to allocate to any VM host I desire. Our website and teamspeak will be running on them, etc. I can fire up CentOS Vm's to my hearts content.

Trying to decide if I want to join them to a domain for live migration between the two machines.

Sadly most games only put out a Linux server later and it's always on the back burner. Even when I ran my UO server it was all windows .net based. Sickening but what can ya do.

I can say i wouldn't host it there if they don't do much for a firewall.

They will firewall etc in emergency situations. There have been very few times that has ever been considered. They have multiple 10g connections and can handle any real issue upstream when I asked.

Our dedicated servers are hosted there, going into the same stuff so should see no issues. :)

I've been running games servers on windows since Windows 2003 using only Windows Firewall and I have to say that it works great. I've never had a breach on any of my servers with exposed IP addresses with this setup.

I always wonder how it gets to that point. There should be an "IT Hoarders" show confronting the people that have created these messes.

I'm guessing it starts off as "I'll plug it in like this and do it better later" but then everyone treats it as production and then nobody is allowed to touch it again. Next thing you know everything turns out that way.

Love this with FC on big Cisco 9500's when you need to replace the bottom card and just can't reach it. ... NOT.

Picking up a dell 2U server from a friend and probably going to run avamar on it (untill the grace period runs out :() so pictures soon!

Back