Network pics thread

for those interested.. from top to bottom.

- Burk ARC-16 tower remote (two sites- lights, generators, etc.)
- Two Dayton FM Mod monitors (two sites)
- Sage ENDEC emergency alert
- Dial Global Audio Server (afternoon programming via sat)
- X Digital XDS Pro 4 Sat Reciever (for ABC News, bleh)
- Omnia 3FMt (audio processor, starting to get a little old)
- BT matrix switch
- ATI quad dist. amp
- 2x Comrex Access Units (portable broadcast handhelds, one for each station)
- APC UPS
- Shitty Intellinet 16x10/100 (soon to be replaced by HP gear, per my request :))

and at the very bottom we have two machines for our internet streams.

new addition this month.
rZ0RQl.jpg

just replaced t1's with this bad boy. 100/100 for about the same price. can't wait to get it all in one rack, in a room with proper cooling :p the ac pictured doesn't work well during the summer months, it's usually 105+ degrees in that room. poor equipment.

Nice stuff. I helped put together our new transmitter rack a few years ago, but never saw the finished product. It's located on top of the 2nd highest building on campus and connected to the radio station in the student union over dry copper pairs.

Nice stuff. I helped put together our new transmitter rack a few years ago, but never saw the finished product. It's located on top of the 2nd highest building on campus and connected to the radio station in the student union over dry copper pairs.

there's def a lot to it. took me forever to learn all this gear. would have been ten times easier if i had put it together myself from the beginning.

Sorta network related, added 2 new drives to my server and growed the raid array. Took all night and good part of the day LOL. My future setup will probably be ZFS. This will have to do for now though, and it's still quite robust.

Code:
[root@borg temp]# mdadm --detail /dev/md0
/dev/md0:
        Version : 0.90
  Creation Time : Sat Sep 20 02:15:28 2008
     Raid Level : raid5
     Array Size : 6837319552 (6520.58 GiB 7001.42 GB)
  Used Dev Size : 976759936 (931.51 GiB 1000.20 GB)
   Raid Devices : 8
  Total Devices : 9
Preferred Minor : 0
    Persistence : Superblock is persistent

Update Time : Fri Jan  4 17:54:24 2013
          State : clean
 Active Devices : 8
Working Devices : 9
 Failed Devices : 0
  Spare Devices : 1

Layout : left-symmetric
     Chunk Size : 64K

UUID : 11f961e7:0e37ba39:2c8a1552:76dd72ee
         Events : 0.2089486

Number   Major   Minor   RaidDevice State
       0       8       96        0      active sync   /dev/sdg
       1       8       16        1      active sync   /dev/sdb
       2       8       32        2      active sync   /dev/sdc
       3       8       48        3      active sync   /dev/sdd
       4       8      112        4      active sync   /dev/sdh
       5       8       80        5      active sync   /dev/sdf
       6       8      128        6      active sync   /dev/sdi
       7       8      160        7      active sync   /dev/sdk

8       8      144        -      spare   /dev/sdj
[root@borg temp]# 
[root@borg temp]# 
[root@borg temp]# uptime
 17:55:00 up 211 days, 21:29,  7 users,  load average: 4.67, 4.93, 4.79
[root@borg temp]# 

[root@borg temp]# df -hl
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda3             433G   12G  400G   3% /
/dev/sda1             190M   25M  156M  14% /boot
tmpfs                 3.8G   48K  3.8G   1% /dev/shm
/dev/md0              6.3T  3.3T  2.7T  56% /raid1
[root@borg temp]# uptime
 17:55:06 up 211 days, 21:29,  7 users,  load average: 4.62, 4.92, 4.78
[root@borg temp]#

Also starting to get half decent uptime thanks to my UPS to get past the summer construction related hydro outages. :D

^mdadm can work great when it wants to, I've been sticking with it but ZFS will be in the next NAS build. Did you hot-add those drives? or were they spares you grew to?

I hot added them. No downtime of the array. I did turn down my VMs to help speed up rebuild though, but I've done it with them running before. Also just remembered, I need to update my documentation, I keep track of each drive/serial that way when one fails I know which one to pull out! With a DIY server you don't get the luxery of a red or amber light. In fact I think even with an enterprise server you would not get that with software raid.

Very nice, glad to see mdadm playing well.I used ssmtp to my gmail account which sends everything off the wall if mdadm drops a drive, you can use mdadm to send 'test' emails too just incase. It is non specific, but I figure one would be smart enough to go find out which drive tanked.

Yeah I set that up a while back but thanks for reminding me to actually test it. Been a while since I did.

My custom alarm system also monitors the number of failed drives and if it's 1 I'll get a major alarm that goes critical if it goes to 2 drives, but I don't really have a way of testing that but I get the right output so I imagine it will work.

I'm surprised at how robust mdadm is though. I lost 2 drives in my raid 5 array once. The array went offline hard, but one drive did manage to spin back up, and I was actually able to bring the array back online and get access to all the data again! I had backups but it was still scary nonetheless. Long story short I ended up replacing each drive one by one as I no longer trusted them. What happened is the power had gone out for about 5 hours so when I brought the server back online all hell broke loose. This is why I now have a UPS that last's about 5 hours. :p I want to add more capacity to it eventually. 2 more batteries would give me about 10 hours.

Hmmm yeah you are right. I also saw that person post random stuff in other threads. So it's a spammer scum. Reported.

So, I just moved into a new place with a buddy of mine.
It's a little messy now, But here's the utility closet. More to come for sure.

Synology 1511+ (Mine)
HP 1810G-24 (Mine)
Mikrotik 2011LS (Mine)
2x Rackable 1u servers. 2x quad xeons each. (One mine one his).
2x Unifi AP's (Not pictured, Mine).

Oversaw a new unifi install at $DAYJOB.

33 AP's so far. It's a medium sized educational facility.

What I can post is limited, But it's the largest unifi deployment I've done to date.

edu-unifi.png

Peak for ours across four physical locations is about 110-120 devices. We'll get closer to 150-200 this year depending on how many new tablets and what not we deploy.

I am guessing this was during non-peak loads with only 93 users across 33 APs? What is your saturation like - single AP per class with low tx power?

Yeah. It picked up a lot today. 100 off-peak 200ish on peak.

We had to cover a lot of indoor area with this setup, And the one building in particular, Each room was built like a Faraday cage.. With the AP in the room it was like -30's inside, and you step out the door with the door closed and it was -85.

Oh, And it should also be picking up even more.. As these are just a few school owned things and then student/teacher devices (It's a live-in type, Dorms and such). But they plan on deploying an Ipad to every student... (I know..)

I've been lurking around these boards for a while but only got around to making an account and posting.

A little UniFi deployment we're working on:

At the minute we get around 200 concurrent devices connected at peak times (~300 different devices connected in a day). The reason some are disconnected is because we haven't finished deploying them yet. Got a few more boxes of them to set up still!!

YKtPY.png

Some of the HP E2520-8G POE switches we're using for them

Fh3wD.jpg

Yeah, we reach no more than 80 or so at peak times, but we are going to be adding some barcode scanners and a few more Motion tablets this quarter. Also will need to deploy another dozen Unifi as well.

Anyone had any issues with Unifi and Motion CL900 tablets? We may have to swap a few of the Unifi out for Picos running Unifi to stabilize our manufacturing environment.

We had to cover a lot of indoor area with this setup, And the one building in particular, Each room was built like a Faraday cage.. With the AP in the room it was like -30's inside, and you step out the door with the door closed and it was -85.

The last place I worked, some of the buildings were fallout shelters built in the 50s and 60s. One could move a few feet through a bulk head and lose all wireless reception.

8364359863_84d58a7b4f_c.jpg

8364360217_5a6cb39066_c.jpg

Not short of ports :)
We just upgraded all of our network infrastructure (and servers/SAN for that matter):
Core
4506 Sup 4 -> 4507R+E SUP 7

IDF
4503 Sup 2+ -> 3 2960-S POE

And this is what is left over (minus 2 4503's that went home :))
The only hardware pictured that wasn't in production was the ProCurve 1700s they were just sitting in a closet in our old building.

I really like that Neat Patch system except my Cisco switch has all the ports on the right hand side so it looks a little funky, but not too bad.

Whatever happened to having the ports spread out on a 24 port switch? I really liked the look of the old Cisco's like the WS-C2950T-24 that spread things out across the entire chassis.

WS-C2950T-24.jpg

Whatever happened to having the ports spread out on a 24 port switch? I really liked the look of the old Cisco's like the WS-C2950T-24 that spread things out across the entire chassis.

WS-C2950T-24.jpg

You and me both, made patching much simpler too...

WS-C2950T-24.jpg

That would be too convenient, and it's harder to shrink the PCB and cut costs that way. :p

Omnia 3FMt (audio processor, starting to get a little old)

I'll take it :D

seriously though software is where its at, Breakaway Broadcast is incredibly powerful... use that with Airomate for RDS/RT/RT+ and you are golden

Here is our UniFi load at the school. This is what it looks like every morning before all of the mobile labs get fired up.

unifi_load.JPG

I should try to pull a graph like that from our WiSM and see what it looks like.

I think it's better when they actually put in some real effort. :p

Example:
Pacel.jpg

Still looks odd, but not a complete eyesore.

Drive by this cell tower every day. Makes me giggle :]

8370976458_512e3461f7_c.jpg

Microwave backhaul (the small round antenna in the back-right). Wooden pole. When wood poles go through heat/cool cycles and wet/dry cycles they twist...somebody's going to be doing a lot of tower climbs to keep adjusting that one.

New Brocade ICX6610 PoE's going in a few weeks to our office. I gotta go over our current Cisco config and adapt it to Brocade. I actually prefer the vlan-to-port as opposed to the port-to-vlan approach Brocade has over the Cisco :D

photoxje.jpg

Microwave backhaul (the small round antenna in the back-right). Wooden pole. When wood poles go through heat/cool cycles and wet/dry cycles they twist...somebody's going to be doing a lot of tower climbs to keep adjusting that one.

That pole is metal not wood.....

Back