Network pics thread

i blame canada for this near thread derailing... ;)

back on topic - just installed some gear for an office building in my town.

5 member 3750X stack, 5510 ASA, Aruba wireless controller(not my choice), and a 3750G-12S stack for distribution layer back to the MAN core. blurry pics i blame the crappy phone. if anyone wants them resized, let me know and i'll shrink them down a bit.

IMG
IMG

How are you going to cable them like that? Why no love for Aruba?

How are you going to cable them like that? Why no love for Aruba?

patch panels are off to the right of the stack. if you were assuming or expecting panels/cable management between switches.

i'll just be the first to admit i'm a complete cisco whore. if it doesnt have the cute profile of the golden gate bridge on it and say "Cisco", i hate it...:p

not really. but seeing as how invested the rest of our infrastructure is in cisco, and working with their newer LWAPs and controllers, i'm just a little too close minded about it i guess.

Last edited:
We solved that by running wires while wearing rubber gloves in "mice/rat prone areas." They go after the salt that comes off of your hands/body from perspiration. So just make sure your body doesn't touch any cables. We haven't had problems in about 5 years now.

interesting, I'll pass that on, I don't touch that part of it, a separate division does cable infrastructure

What's the big deal, they need to eat too ya know :eek:

you would think the metric ton of chicken crap and chicken feed in the building would keep them off the fiber, but nooooooooooooooooooo

(its a poultry research farm)
they needed.....*puts on sunglasses*....some fiber in their diet.

:cool:
ha

If they were three blind mice they would want dark fiber.

/fail

LOL

It feels like Christmas, so many new toys to play with for me lately. I have to stop spending! :D

Installed my new Dell 5324 switch. 2 vlans for now. Main vlan and wireless vlan. They are physically fed from the firewall's private and wireless interfaces with two separate cords. I may change that in the future and do just one trunk, but for now I'll leave it alone.

Not the cleanest setup, but the reason I did it that way is 1: I need access to behind the patch panel for when I add new stuff, and 2: I plan to add cable management ducts on both sides of the rack in the future, so I will just route the cables through those and it will look better. I originally bought a bunch of 1ft and 0.5ft with the intention of putting the switch right up against the patch panel but never took into account needing to access behind. So the shelf will stay there for misc equipment and to give open access. I do not want to count on accessing anything from the sides of the rack, since all that will eventually be enclosed. There's also another rack going next to it in the future. (got it free so why not eh) Will be used for power equipment. (ups/batteries)

Also, now that I'm done playing with this toy, I will now start playing with this one:

Not bad of a network speed... thinking disk IO may also be my bottleneck. I was getting around the same speeds with my dlink switch setup. Downloading from a raid 5 array to a SSD.

Code:
ryan@falcon:~$ wget http://public.borg.loc/iso/CentOS/6.2/DVD1-2/CentOS-6.2-x86_64-bin-DVD1.iso
--2012-11-20 23:09:10--  http://public.borg.loc/iso/CentOS/6.2/DVD1-2/CentOS-6.2-x86_64-bin-DVD1.iso
Resolving public.borg.loc (public.borg.loc)... 10.1.1.10
Connecting to public.borg.loc (public.borg.loc)|10.1.1.10|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 4423129088 (4.1G) [application/octet-stream]
Saving to: `CentOS-6.2-x86_64-bin-DVD1.iso'

100%[=======================================>] 4,423,129,088  106M/s   in 39s     

2012-11-20 23:09:49 (108 MB/s) - `CentOS-6.2-x86_64-bin-DVD1.iso' saved [4423129088/4423129088]

ryan@falcon:~$

make sure u dont brick the new wii u when u do the new 5Gb firmware download :http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Wii-U-Day-1-Update-Bricking-Some-Consoles-122137

It feels like Christmas, so many new toys to play with for me lately. I have to stop spending! :D

Installed my new Dell 5324 switch. 2 vlans for now. Main vlan and wireless vlan. They are physically fed from the firewall's private and wireless interfaces with two separate cords. I may change that in the future and do just one trunk, but for now I'll leave it alone.

Not the cleanest setup, but the reason I did it that way is 1: I need access to behind the patch panel for when I add new stuff, and 2: I plan to add cable management ducts on both sides of the rack in the future, so I will just route the cables through those and it will look better. I originally bought a bunch of 1ft and 0.5ft with the intention of putting the switch right up against the patch panel but never took into account needing to access behind. So the shelf will stay there for misc equipment and to give open access. I do not want to count on accessing anything from the sides of the rack, since all that will eventually be enclosed. There's also another rack going next to it in the future. (got it free so why not eh) Will be used for power equipment. (ups/batteries)

Also, now that I'm done playing with this toy, I will now start playing with this one:

Yikes, already ran the update and everything worked good thankfully. I don't think you can even skip the update.

Though, what ever happen to game consoles you just plug in and start playing? I spent at least an hour just to do the initial setup because it wants me to make an account and all that. What makes me wonder is if their services goes down, if my console is rendered useless. I should not need any internet service connectivity to play Mario lol.

This does remind me though I should probably buy a UPS for my home entertainment setup.

Yikes, already ran the update and everything worked good thankfully. I don't think you can even skip the update.

Though, what ever happen to game consoles you just plug in and start playing? I spent at least an hour just to do the initial setup because it wants me to make an account and all that. What makes me wonder is if their services goes down, if my console is rendered useless. I should not need any internet service connectivity to play Mario lol.

This does remind me though I should probably buy a UPS for my home entertainment setup.

arn't those devices ( Wii ) for 1-5 year old kids :)

looks like we have an issue with the "Floppy DVD-ROM" here !

iphone+411.JPG

Found that vintage floppy disk while doing some cleanup in a rack, so old it probably had asbestos in it :p

That's a nice centerpiece. :D How are those red drives? Last I heard there was lot of failures, are they better now?

This will be my first time using them, I'll let you know.
So far the array built just fine, no issues.
Copying data onto it now.

That's a nice centerpiece. :D How are those red drives? Last I heard there was lot of failures, are they better now?

This will be my first time using them, I'll let you know.
So far the array built just fine, no issues.
Copying data onto it now.

i'm contemplating using those drives in a similar NAS (Synology DS1512+) i've done lots of research on those WD Red drives and it seems to be about a 33% fail/DOA (my "educated approximation") but i can't seem to figure out the common reason for failure.

i'd really like to know how your set works out. i dont want to spend ~1000$ on drives to have 2-3 of them fail on me.

So far not a single issue with any of the 6.
I got them on sale at Newegg for $110 each + free 2-day shipping using Shoprunner.

i'm contemplating using those drives in a similar NAS (Synology DS1512+) i've done lots of research on those WD Red drives and it seems to be about a 33% fail/DOA (my "educated approximation") but i can't seem to figure out the common reason for failure.

i'd really like to know how your set works out. i dont want to spend ~1000$ on drives to have 2-3 of them fail on me.

99% of statistics are made up on the spot (hoho) ... but really people tend to complain loudest on the internet when they have a problem; check any e-tailer and there will be someone who posted a 1 star review in a fit of rage because they are too dumb to use product x with y...

anyway those drives have support so any failure rates are all but meaningless (RAID isn't a backup...)

I would be cautious of any drive that has a 33% fail/DOA feedback.

Might as well live in a bubble because everything fails eventually.

I would be cautious of any drive that has a 33% fail/DOA feedback.

key word there is "feedback". You have to take that crap with a grain of salt. Think about this: How likely are you to review a drive if it works just fine compared to if it is crap?

See my point?

I would take an educated guess and say that 33% is coming from the <1% of drive sales who bother to even post a review online...

Might as well live in a bubble because everything fails eventually.

If I told you if you drove a green car instead of your red one today you have a 33% chance of a fatal collision vs maybe 1% for the red one, you'd still drive the green one because you will die eventually? :rolleyes:

Everything does fail eventually just like we all die eventually, but being cautious and informed doesn't mean living in a bubble.

key word there is "feedback". You have to take that crap with a grain of salt. Think about this: How likely are you to review a drive if it works just fine compared to if it is crap?

See my point?

We all know how this works, the key is to compare to other similar drives and their feedback. Feedback should be similar between products, sometimes its really easy to see a bad product based on the volume alone.

Remember the deathstar drives? What about the WD green drives that had a tragic fail rate on the first major batches?

I would take an educated guess and say that 33% is coming from the <1% of drive sales who bother to even post a review online...

Possibly, but you cant ignore trends nor can you ignore unbalanced reviews compared to other competing products.

If I told you if you drove a green car instead of your red one today you have a 33% chance of a fatal collision vs maybe 1% for the red one, you'd still drive the green one because you will die eventually? :rolleyes:

Everything does fail eventually just like we all die eventually, but being cautious and informed doesn't mean living in a bubble.

We all know how this works, the key is to compare to other similar drives and their feedback. Feedback should be similar between products, sometimes its really easy to see a bad product based on the volume alone.

Remember the deathstar drives? What about the WD green drives that had a tragic fail rate on the first major batches?

Possibly, but you cant ignore trends nor can you ignore unbalanced reviews compared to other competing products.

OK, Stop! More photos please.

Back