Network pics thread

What would you have recommended for that application?

Judging from the overkill home setups, I would have expected nothing less than a 6500 with a pair of sup 2t's and a ASA Services module. :p

Judging from the overkill home setups, I would have expected nothing less than a 6500 with a pair of sup 2t's and a ASA Services module. :p

If I had wanted to pay for shipping I could have had a pair of 6509s in my home setup for free. They were destroyed instead. I had a hard time letting that happen. You wouldn't believe the amount of Cisco hardware that was destroyed in Iraq.

If I had wanted to pay for shipping I could have had a pair of 6509s in my home setup for free. They were destroyed instead. I had a hard time letting that happen. You wouldn't believe the amount of Cisco hardware that was destroyed in Iraq.

LOL don't worry you're not alone, i destroyed about 65 000$ worth of brand new 3560 48ports poe, 7960 phones and many many Panasonic CF-29 before leaving the base out there.. so common and such a waste of taxpayer money... :(

Sucks when equipment has to be destroyed for political reasons, when it could actually go to a better home. :/ I saw lot of stuff go to the trash at the hospital, it was sickening to see that. Lot of it was stuff like power cords and other misc accessories, and sure, everyone has a lot of those, but there has to be a better way to get rid of it without wasting it. They could put them in a bin somewhere free for anyone to take, even. But no, always some political reason or red tape.

I DID get lucky and got to bring home some equipment such as a SAN though. That was pretty sweet! I still have it.

Sometimes it's just space and money you have to consider. You want to take it back home ; fine, pay shipping and does it worth to pay to have it lay down in your garage just in case you think you can use it later? I work on a nationwide project and we trash lot of useful equipment and material but when you're into it, it just becomes "normal".. Also i have a kind of motto, i'm not selling ANY of the equipment/material that i'm taking back home so i stay away from trouble. It's common thing to throw 3 spool of 600ft CAT6 with 10+ panduit jacks and cable manager on the garbage since i'm in this town only for 2 days to do the job, then i'm flying to another province (i'm Canadian) and repeat the process over and over.

32930e8286724be3ba32f35d6e946b5d.JPG

Keepin' it simple. Sadly my fios is delivered over vdsl in these apartments from each building's ont, oh well.

Mines an old blue actiontec. No idea what wireless, its all turned off as it is only providing network for the stb dvrs

On today's as the network spins....hardware techs randomly plugging in stupid little switches in a classroom and causing a network loop...:unamused:

On today's as the network spins....hardware techs randomly plugging in stupid little switches in a classroom and causing a network loop...:unamused:

Sounds like you need STP :)

Sounds like you need STP :)

this network needs a lot of work. STP should be running but who knows if its shutoff on a port for some reason. The configs on some of these switches makes me sad. I love when I log in and see that they aren't running service password encryption, or they dont have SSH setup on anything. The list is getting bigger every day.

LOL reminds me when I worked at the hospital. Lot of doctors had their own internet but still needed to access our network. One doctor decides to plug his linksys router into both his network and ours at the same time. His linksys was handing out IP addresses to our network clients, and somehow this network loop also caused one of or DCs to go haywire and completely fail. Was the most messed up thing ever. The DC would basically start using 100% cpu and act all strange but as soon as we disconnected the nic, it was fine. We did not know about what the doctor did until we fired up a packet sniffer and saw a huge packet storm on our network with 192.168.x.x IPs and went WTF.

Another interesting story, I was not there when it happened, but some guy had 10.1.1.1 set as a static IP on his laptop and it auto connected to the wireless network. That IP was the same as our default gateway. Brought down the entire network. I'm not sure how they even managed to find that laptop. Must have been chaos. :D

Comes to show how fragile a network can be. There must be some measures one can take to prevent this stuff though.

BPDUGUARD and switchports configured as static access ports.

I completely agree. A proposal for all new gigabit switches is in the works and when it comes time for them all to be implemented I'm going to make sure they all get a fresh start with all of the proper shit running. It's one of the downsides to be dealing with schools and have to wait for funding for projects :(

Plus I'm hoping that when that proposal gets approved it will give me a chance to try to clean up the racks for these switches. It's a god damn disgrace what has gone on over the past few years. I'll post some pics when I start remembering to take some, but I will warn you, they aren't for the faint of heart lol

LOL reminds me when I worked at the hospital. Lot of doctors had their own internet but still needed to access our network. One doctor decides to plug his linksys router into both his network and ours at the same time. His linksys was handing out IP addresses to our network clients, and somehow this network loop also caused one of or DCs to go haywire and completely fail. Was the most messed up thing ever. The DC would basically start using 100% cpu and act all strange but as soon as we disconnected the nic, it was fine. We did not know about what the doctor did until we fired up a packet sniffer and saw a huge packet storm on our network with 192.168.x.x IPs and went WTF.

Another interesting story, I was not there when it happened, but some guy had 10.1.1.1 set as a static IP on his laptop and it auto connected to the wireless network. That IP was the same as our default gateway. Brought down the entire network. I'm not sure how they even managed to find that laptop. Must have been chaos. :D

Comes to show how fragile a network can be. There must be some measures one can take to prevent this stuff though.

ip dhcp snooping :) it's not preventable measures more of network management :cool:

Made some changes at the one school that we think was causing the problems and hopefully thats the end of it.

Found that spanning tree portfast was enabled on the trunk ports that are the link back to our core. Also set bpdu-guard to default instead of enabled/disabled. This is a 6509 that is still running CatOS.....yeah I know thats old as shit and needs to be upgraded. My manager tells me that its part of the big network upgrade proposal that we are waiting on approval for. I basically compared the config of this school to one that is also running CatOS and is up and running. Only time will tell.

My manager tells me that its part of the big network upgrade proposal that we are waiting on approval for.
e-rate?

I'll do you one better. I still have a Catalyst 4000 running CatOS. It's layer2 only!
For inter-vlan routing I have to send all the traffic to a 3500. Every time we image more than 3 or 4 computers at that campus the phones go down because they cant maintain a good connection back to the Call Manager at the district office :p

We're waiting on e-rate too. We have a complete 100% forklift upgrade ready to go, just waiting on the funding.

e-rate?

I'll do you one better. I still have a Catalyst 4000 running CatOS. It's layer2 only!
For inter-vlan routing I have to send all the traffic to a 3500. Every time we image more than 3 or 4 computers at that campus the phones go down because they cant maintain a good connection back to the Call Manager at the district office :p

We're waiting on e-rate too. We have a complete 100% forklift upgrade ready to go, just waiting on the funding.

yeah e-rate sucks my balls. Waiting for the funding is painful.

We aren't that bad. We have all 6506's or 6509's, but some of them are still running CatOS. All of the access switches are 10/100 2950's or 2960's, except in the new school we have aggregate switches in each IDF that are 3750's.

Our big upgrade will consist of all gigabit switches for every school, all new servers, and possibly new AP's for some of the older schools.

It's not particularly impressive, but it's a new (to me) toy to play with...we replaced a firewall at our branch office, so I get to mess around with the old one:

IMG_2565.jpg

It's not particularly impressive, but it's a new (to me) toy to play with...we replaced a firewall at our branch office, so I get to mess around with the old one:

IMG_2565.jpg

I have two of those laying around, has WiFi though. Edge X5 maybe? Sitting doing nothing. I wasn't too impressed with Watchguard's older products, but they sure make sweet-looking hardware.

I plan on buying one of those before I get a house so I can use it in the house :)

I might go with the Pro or just go with the standard Long Range ones. I think the Pro would be a little more future proof though.

I plan on buying one of those before I get a house so I can use it in the house :)

I might go with the Pro or just go with the standard Long Range ones. I think the Pro would be a little more future proof though.

I'm testing the normal ones in my house right now. I think I'm just going to do one Pro for my final setup. The one I'm testing now are going to be going back to work for a new building we are bringing online. I'm putting 6 of them there so that should be plenty for 50 users

Back