Network pics thread

a pic of our new networking room(new core room) at a new school we setup. Nothing to special going on. Will be moving a bunch of servers to the room eventually and all of our fiber for all of the schools in the district comes back to this room,

]

nice and clean, and great air flow. Nice work tox !

nice clean room..

another question, local place here wants $60 for 2m of cage to lay cable in, about 2 inches high and about 6 inches wide.., similar to this
view.php

has anyone ever made their own from materials instead? i mean really all you need is a solid base and mounting no?

cause i need about 22meters of the stuff.

Sixty bucks is an outrage. Broken picture icons should be free.

nice clean room..

another question, local place here wants $60 for 2m of cage to lay cable in, about 2 inches high and about 6 inches wide.., similar to this
view.php

has anyone ever made their own from materials instead? i mean really all you need is a solid base and mounting no?

cause i need about 22meters of the stuff.

Ive seen people use rubbermaid mesh shelves if its going next to a wall, its definately a viable cheaper option :p

While this is FAR from some of my best work it is at least an improvement on what was there before.

I tried a new way of laying things out putting the switch at the top, but this caused some sag in my bundle which I am not happy about. To top it all off I found a bunch of shorties in the spaghetti mess that I had to rig up into a separate smaller bundle.

This is what I started with:

IMG_20120825_123915.jpg

IMG_20120825_124111.jpg

IMG_20120825_124911.jpg

Tools of the trade:

IMG_20120825_124219.jpg

After about 15 minutes of wrestling with it I had this (see the stupid shorty bundle?):

IMG_20120825_132009.jpg

This was after about an hour:

IMG_20120825_134957.jpg

IMG_20120825_135012.jpg

End result. I am very unhappy with the sag of the bundle with the cabinet closed, however I usually have the neat patch supporting the bundle which I did not do in this case:

IMG_20120825_163222.jpg

I feel I should have spent a little bit more time working on the position of the bundle in the cabinet. I tried looping the bundle in the cabinet but had issues with it closing properly. It is still better than what was there before but I see myself going back out there some weekend soon to fix it up some more. It's just not very clean looking.

Sigh, here's my mess to deal with.

NvsgBl.jpg

gx4yhl.jpg

Probably the worst thing about it is that I have my doubts that I'll ever be allowed to change it up.

If you're wondering what's to the right, there's two racks full of Dell server/SAN'age.

Again, why people don't do patch panel - switch - patch panel - switch amazes me. Then use 1 foot patch cables and it's so much cleaner. I can understand with blade switches you can't do that, but with regular 24 and 48's, they should all be done that way. I can always wish :p

The towers stacked at the bottom made me lol. P2V that garbage and throw it out lol.

Again, why people don't do patch panel - switch - patch panel - switch amazes me. Then use 1 foot patch cables and it's so much cleaner. I can understand with blade switches you can't do that, but with regular 24 and 48's, they should all be done that way. I can always wish :p

I have tried the patch panels then 1 ft patch cables into the switch method and have found that the 2 - 24 port patch panels, then neat patch, then switch works a lot better for me if and when I need to flip flop cables (which is rare indeed). I also typically have one or two PoE injectors and can hide them in the neat patch.

I have some more pics of our.... "art" at work I should take. It's embarrassing to me to know previous and current coworkers made that mess....

Is that a GX620 I see? Check her for blown caps lol. We've been tossing 620's like crazy at work. They aren't worth our time to replace the caps on them plus they are old P4s.

Last edited:
Acidburn, I think I just lost my appetite for the rest of the day...lol
Blitz, I've seen worse, but they all make me sad. Nice Mitel 3300 phone system in the second rack.

I have some more pics of our.... "art" at work I should take. It's embarrassing to me to know previous and current coworkers made that mess....

Is that a GX620 I see? Check her for blown caps lol. We've been tossing 620's like crazy at work. They aren't worth our time to replace the caps on them plus they are old P4s.

It was far more prevalent in the GX270's and GX280's.

Yeah, there's a few of them lying around here, being used for non-production servers apparently. I'm still new here, so I don't know the purpose of them all just yet. I almost don't want to know. :p

And yeah, Mitel's a nice system. I never worked with it until recently and I'm liking it so far. Our phones are okay I guess - I suppose the word to use is "cost effective"

http://www.mitel.com/products/business-phones/ip-phones/ip-app-phones/5330-ip-phone/

I have never worked on one...my experience is with Inter-Tel, which Mitel bought several years back...it's all changed now. We recently put a Cisco system in at work...it's not as bad as I thought it would be :p

Oh man it's time to clean around here.. 4 of these giant bins went out

A7E18C95-4BE9-483F-BA35-A248867EC629-14040-000016CE95BCD38B.jpg

But on the bright side we have a free backupexec upgrade for windows 95

2EA7ED5A-2E35-4BF5-8E15-0FCEC119F71E-14040-000016CE9D5955BF.jpg

Backup up to 3200MB, dude that's one entire internets!

Seriously though, I think my 400/800GB backup tapes are tiny. lol

yup, our LTO5 tapes are 1.5TB, can't recall exactly what we get after compression, but, more.

Also, the the switch-patch-switch thing, that really only works if your density is correct. My main office has 5 fully loaded 24 port patch panels, of which we use approximately 50 drops, half of it is analog voice lines that are no longer utilized, and there is no service loop to split the patch panels up to even try fitting switches in. I just have 2 48 port switches and use 5 foot cables.

My office still has about 100 of those 17" Viewsonic monitors in Production, and I hate 'em.

What's funny is that we just purchased 60+ 19" wide screen monitors so that all users can have dual monitors. That sort of lopsided setup is strange for me to get used to.

My office still has about 100 of those 17" Viewsonic monitors in Production, and I hate 'em.

What's funny is that we just purchased 60+ 19" wide screen monitors so that all users can have dual monitors. That sort of lopsided setup is strange for me to get used to.

Wait, so they have one CRT and one LCD? Lol.

Back