Network pics thread

I would love to do that, but again, I'm the noob at work.. lol. Plus it's healthcare and they are super paranoid about stupid things.

Add your trusted certificate to it, disable SSLv2 and tie it into an authentication scheme. Can't be paranoid when its compliant and helping the IT department

I love the 8 port netgear unmanaged switch hanging by the cables in the rack there, that's awesome.

That is only half as funny if I told you how it is truly setup. That is connected to our DMZ.

Instead of hooking the DMZ straight from our ASA there is a line from the firewall to another cisco router "below the unmanaged switch" that controls the DMZ. Then the idiot who did the cabling job could not get the ports to work on the dmz router so he ran a line to that netgear switch and then to the dmz servers.

There are days I wish to write a book about my job.

A Director who can not install a network printer.

A support rep who does not know what Ram is.

A network tech that can not fix a damn thing.

extra side room would do wonders for cleaning this up, but its pretty tolerable IMO
IMAG0549.jpg

I'm in the middle of labeling now, but I ran outta labels and had to order more

Aren't they wired wrong? I thought you were supposed to patch from fron of switch to front of patch panel then have your structured cabling go off from the back of the patch panel?

Also- seems odd to put all the patch panels at the top and switches in the middle.

Every installation I have ever done, cables were punched down to the back of the panel. That way, all 4 switches are punched down to the back of the panels. Then any patches that I have to make are from the front with an RJ45 head, if I did it the way you suggest, then my patches would have to be punched down on the back of the panel. Taking more time and it could also impact other ports.

Hope that answers your question.

I thought this might be the point, but then thought surely you'd just patch port 1 of switch 1 with port 2 of switch 2 directly?

Yes, I could have patched between ports on switches to eliminate more work, the patch panels, and decrease the number of points of failure. On the other hand, I had patch panels that I wanted to use. At all cost wanted to avoid horrible cable management, or the lack of it and the "spaghetti" look.

You like that baracudda firewall with the open case & psu too ?

Haha, was wondering if anyone would catch that. POS hardware in the Barracuda. We should just go the virtual Barracuda way. It works well, just the interface is slower than balls.

Haha, was wondering if anyone would catch that. POS hardware in the Barracuda. We should just go the virtual Barracuda way. It works well, just the interface is slower than balls.

If you have support still, contact Barracuda. I just got a free hardware refresh on a 6 year old SF300. New one has been installed less than a week and is lightning quick compared to the old one.

I may have threatened to look for another spam firewall vendor in my support ticket though... ;)

OMG what the hell is patched without sleeving over the cables at the top of the picture? PLEASE tell me those are not network drops.

Oh that's nothing, hospital I used to work at had a few closets where all the cables were unsleeved as soon as they entered the closet, were punched down on a bix block, then from there went to the patch panel. No idea WHY one would do this. It was kinda awesome seeing about a foot thick of individual pairs all tied together. :D And yes these were network drops and not for phones. Well some of them were for phones, it was random. Sometimes the jack side used the A standard while at the bix they used B or other random combinations like that. That was always fun.

OMG what the hell is patched without sleeving over the cables at the top of the picture? PLEASE tell me those are not network drops.

That's a 25 pair phone cable patched into a patch panel. How we have setup is in a different closet we have our fiber and phone lines come in, they go to the pbx and then they get distributed to our two other closets. Then they go into a patch panel in the closet and then we patch them with Cat6 cables to the patch panel with the phone drop. We do this so we can easily convert a network drop into a phone line or a data jack just by moving the patches in the closets. It works well once you figure out the logistics in your head.

Phone Company ----> PBX -------> 66 block -------> 66 block -------> Patch Panel in closet ---> Network drop patch panel -------> Phone

yeah thats pretty normal

the building I did at my old job was cat5e and panduit keystones everywhere, and phone > network and vice versa was an issue of a patch cable

Oh that's nothing, hospital I used to work at had a few closets where all the cables were unsleeved as soon as they entered the closet, were punched down on a bix block, then from there went to the patch panel. No idea WHY one would do this. It was kinda awesome seeing about a foot thick of individual pairs all tied together. :D And yes these were network drops and not for phones. Well some of them were for phones, it was random. Sometimes the jack side used the A standard while at the bix they used B or other random combinations like that. That was always fun.

^^^ someone used different contractors for the construction of the building/wiring and the installation of the network/phones

What's up with the thai sauce? :p

Great gear indeed. I am eager to try this Unifi system, I have a customer that will use this in his new office in a couple of months.

That is Sriracha sauce, it goes on almost anything!

Still waiting on the poe adapters, they should be in next week.

The inline adapters right? Those come in handy for pulling power direct from a PoE switch. I hated those injectors that came with it, they created a nice cable mess. :(

^^^ someone used different contractors for the construction of the building/wiring and the installation of the network/phones

lol they have so many different random contractors that go in there, and that's the issue. Sometimes the electrician, other times the plumber, sometimes the hvac guy, sometimes a a cable install guy from the phone company, sometimes a cable install guy from another phone company... whatever they decide at the time. Some do it one way, some do it the other.

They had one brand new closet added when they added an extension to the building, and because it was done from ground up, it was the most beautiful network rack I have ever seen in person. Switch, patch panel, switch, patch panel, switch, patch panel etc with 1 foot cables from patch to switch and they were all POE and it even had a UPS. Everything was labelled and all. Wish I could have taken pics when I worked there but pretty sure it would not have been allowed. That rack was pure sex.

Those wifi access points are sexy. I'd love to play with those at home some day. I have blown insulation in my attic so I would not want to be running cable in there as it would be a really messy job, but could probably get away putting them only in the basement.

The inline adapters right? Those come in handy for pulling power direct from a PoE switch. I hated those injectors that came with it, they created a nice cable mess. :(

I read that the non enterprise ones shouldnt be used with POE switches due to not being to spec

I bought their recommended POE brick on amazon for my deployment of 6, the 8 port was like 50 bucks, worth it to avoid the spaghetti the inlines would cause

how did they not come with them??

Finally got some pics, when our control rooms and on air systems are being redone, they are changing from tie lines in the racks going to data closets to in rack switches.
--much neater and easier I think
Before (other side looks the same)
After

nice!

They come with the poe injectors, but we already have poe switches. To use the AP's with our switches we have to buy these inline adapters that convert 48v to 24v.
http://streakwave.com/Itemdesc.asp?ic=I8023AF-ID

That's what we're using, I love those things. All 14 of our AP's across 4 locations are using those adapters now. I don't remember when we put those in, but I know it has at least been all of this year. We haven't had a single issue with those vs. the big ugly plug into the wall adapters then cable from switch to that to AP. It was ugly before. :(

Why did you chose the standard UniFi over the UniFi Pro's? Pirce?

Price. For one Pro we can get 3 of the regular ones with the poe adapter.
Using all Pro's would have been way over budget.
I'll be so happy when we are rid of the Sonic Points. SonicWall makes good firewalls, but somehow they screwed up wireless bad.
Sometimes the AP's want to to travel abroad and set themselves to international mode instead of US.
Some of them get stuck in firmware flashing mode and can't complete a firmware update.
And no more AP's dropping off the network and the only way to fix them is to power cycle them.

yeah the pros cost SO MUCH MORE, and since mine are mostly for email/surfing/visitors I didnt need the speed of the pros

Yum!

Pictures of uncabled switches in a pile never get old. Ever.

It's true, there is something about that which gives me a [H]ardon.

How much do the unifis go for and where are they available? I've been debating on getting one or two for home. Two would be cool just so I can play with the wifi handoff, but in reality 1 would probably do. I'd probably install them in the basement given I have full access, saves me from going in the attic and I'm sure the signal would travel through the wood floor fine.

It's true, there is something about that which gives me a [H]ardon.

How much do the unifis go for and where are they available? I've been debating on getting one or two for home. Two would be cool just so I can play with the wifi handoff, but in reality 1 would probably do. I'd probably install them in the basement given I have full access, saves me from going in the attic and I'm sure the signal would travel through the wood floor fine.

In Canada - www.ubnt.ca or www.xagyl.com

I have a 8 of those in my main office's wiring closet all hooked up the with stacking cables. Rock solid switches.

Yeah 3750's are really nice. Setup 3 stacks of 2 switches and then 2 individual switches.

The 3750 is a great platform, I've seen them deployed in IDF's with no cooling for years and never failing. Just left a site where we had about 60 3560/3750 deployed.

Although one time there was a weird PoE issue with one switch, it simply wouldn't supply power to the phones connected to one Ethernet Controller, we checked over the config and didn't see any issues.
After that we did the lazy troubleshoot , tossed up an emergency outage warning and reloaded the switch. Everything worked after that.

Back