Network pics thread

Not my work. Not really sure what all the extra conduit is for. All the power comes in on another side of the room and the wires there have such large gauge that they wouldn't fit. I'd show you immaculate wiring, but the other sites are quite secure (think multiple man-traps, hand-print scanners, and armed security), so can't really photograph any of that.

the fiber looks clean, but not sure why they would run ac wires alongside of it and how its strapped together is kinda like Cheesy......

ALOT.png

power and fiber running parallel isn't an issue at all. also, using zip ties on conduit and BX cable is standard practice, it's not meant to move.

1gig link in 1gig link out :)

DSCN3291.JPG

orange = 1gig link.

DSCN3292.JPG

Will be taking a custom heatsink to a shop to get milled to fit in the chassis and might put in a pair of fans or a blower fan @3v to keep air moving through the unit.

Will be taking a custom heatsink to a shop to get milled to fit in the chassis and might put in a pair of fans or a blower fan @3v to keep air moving through the unit.

Try just mounting it on its side. Natural convection was enough to drop my unit 5C from when it was sitting on my desk.

Here are some photos from my new place of employment. Not really impressive, as my internship is at our "lame" datacenter... But we added five F5 load balancers and are starting to replace our old HP servers with new Dells. Place has really fallen apart after they built our crazy datacenter, but things are starting to get modernized... Our IT budget is like $150mil+... But you wouldn't guess it looking at this place. They're saving up for another crazy datacenter near this location.

Apparently next week we are going to add the new F5s to the fail-over clusters and then doing a "controlled failure"... Then pull the old gear.... hopefully. Last generation of employees didn't care about wire management, thankfully our Dell and EMC only racks are pretty and neat, these will eventually look the same. I'd love to explain what everything does, but things like that blade chassie at the bottom? No one has any clue what they do anymore. Only 3 of 10 blades are even powered on, not much activity blinking... Part of my job is to identify and start the decommissioning process for "vampire" gear. 2 out of 40 racks inspected and worked on, and here they are...

The new F5s are BIG-IP 3900s x2 and 3600 x2, and another is in a different cabinet that handles DNS in a multi-location redundancy group. The Dells are all R610s. Everything else sucks and shall remain unnamed.

Last edited:
Good Catch. I'm glad someone actually reads around here.

Indeed a Fujtsu blade center.

I'll post you pics of our local EMC VNX gear when I get to it, but EMC installed it themselves and it's well wired and documented... Therefore pretty much last on my list. That said, maybe I'll sneak over Monday and snap some shots.

Got around to setting up Pandora. I had issues installing it manually as I was running into dependency hell so ended up installing it in a VM and using the prebuilt ISO. I wanted to install it on my enviromental server since it barely does anything anyway. But oh well. It gets it's own hostname. :p

The graphs are pretty cool to check out too. I just need to figure out how to set ranges of acceptable values so I can warn on either low value, or high value. It seems it only can do just one.

I also cannot figure out why the tentacle server wont accept outside connections. The idea of this was really so I can monitor my online server. The house temperatures are just a bonus.

I looked at Nagios but it seemed convoluted on setting up custom monitors. I may have to look at it again some more if I can't get this to fully work though. I've even toyed with rolling my own, it can't really be too complicated. Though I think I will reserve that for a bigger project I want to start on. Basically a full blown server management system that does everything.

Here is my network post :)

b1.jpg

Parts from top left to bottom
  • Alix 1D (miyuki), weather data logger, gateway, local webserver, Debian
  • HP ProCurve 1800-8G
  • Compaq 4 Port KVM Switch (PS/2 + VGA)
  • SuperMicro Miniserver (Cel 1.4GHz, 1.25GB ECC RAM, currently not running)
  • Fileserver (nanako) AMD 245e, 6GB ECC RAM, 6x 1.5TB HD in mdadm SW RAID6, Debian
  • ESXi (yuri) Xeon E3-1230, 16GB ECC RAM, 240GB SSD, ESXi 5
  • 2x APC UPS
  • (on top) DataTale with 4GB RAID5 + Tape drive (LTO-2) - which was damaged when I bought it used :((

b2.jpg

b3.jpg

b4.jpg

This is the Alix - small device, uses 7W and runs Debian :)

b5.jpg

b6.jpg

b7.jpg

b8.jpg

b9.jpg

b10.jpg

b11.jpg

Got the LTO-2 drive for 50€ from eBay - it was totally dirty - this is what I removed from it...

b17.jpg

No wonder it does not work :( with the needed cable (LVD) + controller + 2 tapes, I've spend ~150€... am a bit angry that it does not work...

b12.jpg

This is the weather station - reports will be generated here and wget via cron on my webhoster - you can see them on http://www.moerserwetter.de :)

b13.jpg

All equipment running just takes about 200W...

b14.jpg

...however - I use this network power socket to turn off the devices completely, so that the PSUs don't draw power when they are not used. The Alix + weather station just uses 7W (which runs 24/7) :)

b15.jpg

The cable management looked fine - until I plugged in the network cables :) Something for the todo list!

Nice! I like that watt meter thing. I've been looking for something like that. There is a $200 system called TED that will do the whole house, but I can't get myself to pay for it. It has optional probes for specific circuits too so I could have one for just the server equipment.

I'm also looking for a way to grab the data from the power meter - here im Germany, most of the houses have this slice versions:

450px-Drehstromz%C3%A4hler_l%26g_hochkant.jpg

I'm trying to get some information HOW and IF I can get a power meter with serial/USB support to be able to grab the data directly - but so far I've got no answer on my eMails :(

But there is hope - this device can be read from Debian Linux :) I would not use cacti, but grab the data using awk and put it into a rrdtool database and create some nice graphs from that. Maybe also an option for you, Red Squirrel?

Oh by the way - I have 2 temperature sensors in the rack and need to create a graph of that:

Code:
Jun 10 19:07:38 Sensor 0 C: 24.06 F: 75.31
Jun 10 19:07:39 Sensor 1 C: 21.06 F: 69.91

They've been switching our meters to digital, but for the analog ones there are devices that read the little line as it passes by and can determine how much you're using. I remember our power company had actually provided them for free as part of a "save energy" promotion. Then a few months later they switched everyone to digital and this device became useless. Bad planing on their part. :p Really they should just allow us to interface with the digital meter.

For the temp sensors you could use pandora or similar app like I did. I think something like cacti would maybe do it too.

Got around to setting up Pandora. I had issues installing it manually as I was running into dependency hell so ended up installing it in a VM and using the prebuilt ISO. I wanted to install it on my enviromental server since it barely does anything anyway. But oh well. It gets it's own hostname. :p

The graphs are pretty cool to check out too. I just need to figure out how to set ranges of acceptable values so I can warn on either low value, or high value. It seems it only can do just one.

I also cannot figure out why the tentacle server wont accept outside connections. The idea of this was really so I can monitor my online server. The house temperatures are just a bonus.

I looked at Nagios but it seemed convoluted on setting up custom monitors. I may have to look at it again some more if I can't get this to fully work though. I've even toyed with rolling my own, it can't really be too complicated. Though I think I will reserve that for a bigger project I want to start on. Basically a full blown server management system that does everything.

How is this solution for full scale network monitoring with traffic graphs from switch ports, etc?

They've been switching our meters to digital, but for the analog ones there are devices that read the little line as it passes by and can determine how much you're using. I remember our power company had actually provided them for free as part of a "save energy" promotion. Then a few months later they switched everyone to digital and this device became useless. Bad planing on their part. :p Really they should just allow us to interface with the digital meter.

For the temp sensors you could use pandora or similar app like I did. I think something like cacti would maybe do it too.

Ill have to look into pandora

the digitial meter rollout has been interesting.

its been a big problem in puerto rico where people were 'hacking' them and resettting the counters for cheap power ETC

New Untangle box done installed configured & tested for the Rents house :)

nice I was thinking about building something similar to play with pfsense or untangle, that would sit easily on top of my 4U in teh rack

I've got a dual core 775 celeron sitting on the shelf....

ugh need more time and less ideas.

nice I was thinking about building something similar to play with pfsense or untangle, that would sit easily on top of my 4U in teh rack

I've got a dual core 775 celeron sitting on the shelf....

ugh need more time and less ideas.

Box is pretty nice, its quiet. at first i was having major issues with video & it would hang etc etc, I narrowed it down to MEM after changing the memory it was perfect.

Would fit a nice low profile pci-e dp nic :)

How is this solution for full scale network monitoring with traffic graphs from switch ports, etc?

I think it can do SNMP but I have not looked at that much. I don't have any managed switches or anything to test with. But given it can take a value from a bash command anything is possible, you could have a script or program that telnets into the switch and gets a value and puts it in a text file, then have the Pandora agent pick that up. That's how my temp readings are done.

I've been debating on looking into Nagios or another solution though, there's a few limitations of Pandora that I'm not fond of, such as the inability of monitoring a range. Ex: I cant specify I want a temp to be between 10 and 30 and if it goes out of that range to alarm. I can only specify a range to alarm at. So I can put -9999999 to 10 as "warning" and 30 to 99999999 as "critical" but that's kinda dirty. I would rather be able to say 10 to 30 is ok, 0-10 and 30-40 are warning and anything else is critical, for example.

But the nice thing of Pandora is that using the prebult ISO, it was fairly easy to get going. Trying to build it from scratch was another story though, it has tons of dependencies.

My home network is running for some time now

Isp connection
Cable 120/10 down & up
VSDL 40/3 down & up

Switch
Dell 5324 24 port gigabit
Tp-link 24 port gigabit

http://server04.us.steambay.eu/foto/2012-06-13%2013.21.50.jpg

Nas01
Case Norco RPC-2208
PSU Zippy/emacs P2h-6550p
Motherboard Asus P5G41T-M LE
CPU Intel® Core™2 Quad 9550
RAM 4 GB DDR3 Kingston Valueram
Controller Cards Areca 1222
Hard Drives 8x WD20EADS 2TB Raid5 2x ST9320325AS 320GB
Battery Backup Units APC Smart-UPS 750VA
Operating System Openmediavault 0.3

Nas02
Case DS211j
PSU 100V
CPU 1.2GHz
RAM DDR2 128MB
Hard Drives 2x 2TB Samsung HD204UI raid 0
Operating System DSM 4.0

http://server04.us.steambay.eu/foto/2012-06-13%2013.17.32.jpg

Nas03
Case Chenbro ES34069
PSU 120 watt
Motherboard Itx Mobo
CPU AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+
RAM 4 gb ram Kingston
Hard Drives 5x 2TB Samsung HD204UI raid5

Xen01
Case Norco RPC-2208
PSU Recom 850 Watt
Motherboard Asus P5G41T-M LE
CPU Intel® Core™2 Quad 9550
RAM 8 GB DDR3 Kingston Valueram
Hard Drives WD 2720gb
Operating System Xenserver 6.0

http://server04.us.steambay.eu/foto/2012-06-13%2013.22.54.jpg

http://server04.us.steambay.eu/foto/2012-06-13%2013.21.58.jpg

netrack.jpg

One of my prod network racks at the office.. No I don't have enough firewalls... There is more below.

-snip-
Nas03
Case Chenbro ES34069
PSU 120 watt
Motherboard Itx Mobo
CPU AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+
RAM 4 gb ram Kingston
Hard Drives 5x 2TB Samsung HD204UI raid5
-snip-

Hows that Chenbro case going? I've been looking into a NAS build for a while but can't find any decent price cases that support 4 or more drives + hotswap. Also what mobo is in there?

Got myself the new servers. Another DL360 G3, dual Xeons @ 2.80GHz, 4GB ram. The other is a DL380 G2, that thing is loud. Going to swap the drives from both servers around, the 380 has 2 76.smth GB's, the 360 only has 2 36.4GB's.

Sonicwall TZ210 heat, gets pretty warm in side that beast.

Cover temp,

DSCN3311.JPG

CPU Heatsink Temp,

DSCN3312.JPG

Time to mod :)

Some progress on a "speedy" backup cluster.

It's meant to be for staging and temporary placement for VM's while doing whatever.
Some PE 2950's w/32GB RAM and dual Xeon E5410's. Plenty of single points of failure, no real a/b power, no a/b switch, etc. There is a 3000VA UPS + EBM, so that's a bonus. The AX150i also has a UPS connected to one of it's power supplies (it's actually it's "cache battery," caching won't work without it and it's serial cable hooked to the AX150i)

I'd say i'm like 60% done, I need to run the rest of the LAN (blue) cables to the HV's and label each end of the LAN cables as well. The 4 iSCSI (red) cables are already labeled, I need to run the other to the HV's and label them.

XenServer is already pre-installed, just need to configure it all up and IP the iSCSI stuff.

Here are some of my Live pics.

Big ass banner glued to a hotel:
Cisco-Banner.jpg

7018 in one of the cabling vendors' booths:
7018.jpg

FlexPod stuff:
FlexPod.jpg

Some VNX and B-Series
VNX-BSeries.jpg

This made me happy:
Presidio.jpg

This one's blurry, but it has some cool shit: