Network pics thread

That's what i would think too, Colo means they MONITOR everything to the last byte & watt LOL, unless you have friends there or something.

I have a shaw Business package 50$ month with 1 static ip and 5 dynamic, and a 50 down 6mb up.

My rack full o goodies is pulling 330watts right now AND that has 3 test switches and a small firewall on it just sitting there doing nothing...

damn!

I pay 50 for 20/4

I pay £20 (about $30) for 4 meg down and 512kb up

That is the best I can get!

Its so sad, the areas all around me are getting 80/10 for about the same money.

What are you using to switch from wall power to battery power when power goes out? How do you have those connected? Could you draw up a diagram? :D

The inverter/charger switches automatically from shore power to battery. Modified sine wave may be OK for some of your computer equipment but will shorten the life span (no one seems to know exactly how much shorter). The ideal way is to run a pure sine wave inverter/charger but then you are looking at $800+ (plus when you want to re-purpose the inverter/charger for something else it will be able to run anything. The PWM inverter/charger has issues with a lot of electrical motors.)

The way that Red has set it up is fine, marine batteries are not the best but they work. Just put some electrical tape over the terminals and any electrical connections, then put a board on top to add extra protection. One other thing I would highly recommend is to install a fuse on the batteries, so if you do get a short it will pop the fuse and not start a fire.

I am currently researching for a Pure Sine Wave inverter/charger for my setup which consists of eight 170aH telecom gel cell batteries or the option for a 2000aH monster gel cell if I want to get crazy.

Want more info on an inverter/charger UPS system, then Google is your friend...

https://www.google.com/search?q=how...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

http://www.wikihow.com/Build-Your-Own-Uninterruptible-Power-Supply

Last edited:
Those unifis look nice though, I may consider one at one point. My playbook is the only wireless device I use, and it does not like my dlink for some reason. Maybe a unifi would work better.

I cannot recommend the Unifi units enough. I installed a pair in my house to increase coverage and so I could toss my aging linksys WRTs and I have never looked back. Management is a cinch and reporting on them is pretty cool too.

You install a little java applet (java, ugh!) that runs its own server and data collection point and use it to monitor clients roaming between APs, bandwidth by AP or by client, list of clients attached, etc.

Multiple SSIDs can be set up with multiple authentication types (WEP keys for guests and RADIUS for local users, etc), and with very minimal hassle.

Here's some screencaps of my installation at home (linked for size):

Management Page

Statistics Page

I will be replacing the Cisco Aeronets we have in the office with these things during our next budget cycle since they're much easier to install and manage, are a quarter of the cost and have n/b/g capability instead of just b/g.

The inverter/charger switches automatically from shore power to battery. Modified sine wave may be OK for some of your computer equipment but will shorten the life span (no one seems to know exactly how much shorter). The ideal way is to run a pure sine wave inverter/charger but then you are looking at $800+ (plus when you want to re-purpose the inverter/charger for something else it will be able to run anything. The PWM inverter/charger has issues with a lot of electrical motors.)

The way that Red has set it up is fine, marine batteries are not the best but they work. Just put some electrical tape over the terminals and any electrical connections, then put a board on top to add extra protection. One other thing I would highly recommend is to install a fuse on the batteries, so if you do get a short it will pop the fuse and not start a fire.

I am currently researching for a Pure Sine Wave inverter/charger for my setup which consists of eight 170aH telecom gel cell batteries or the option for a 2000aH monster gel cell if I want to get crazy.

Want more info on an inverter/charger UPS system, then Google is your friend...

https://www.google.com/search?q=how...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

http://www.wikihow.com/Build-Your-Own-Uninterruptible-Power-Supply

Yeah my batteries are deep cycle/starting so they're kinda a hybrid between both. Was the best bang for the buck, even if they only last 5 years I got my money's worth.

I did lot of research on pure sine inverter-chargers and while I did find some, their switch time was not documented so I did not want to take a chance buying something that takes a few seconds to switch over. This stuff is hard to find and ebay is about the only place to get it and it's expensive because most sellers jack up shipping to well over 100 bucks. I paid about 600 bucks for my setup, and I probably have a custom bill that will arrive in a few months and that will probably be another couple hundred bucks.

The one I have is a compromise between modified square and pure sine, it's basically a stepped square wave, so it's not as bad as some of the cheap inverters you buy, but not as good as a UPS either which is pure sine. I thought of using a UPS directly but there was too many quirks to deal with such as the fact that they're designed for gel cells, and lot of them work on the basis of a timer, and not battery voltage. Its hit and miss depending on what UPS you get.

I've also been trying to find a hydrogen detector, as it would be ideal to have. The BBQ lighter can double as one, but I'm looking for something safer. :p

Since this is in the open I really don't think it's an issue, but better safe than sorry. Once I enclose the server room I'll have to figure out a venting system though. It's not as simple as just having two pipes going outside and a fan, I need it to keep the same climate as well. I could potentially look at a small Venmar unit. But that's for the future, for now I'll just leave it as is. I will be looking at some kind of battery containment system though. The system is not live yet, so I can still move it around, turn it off etc as needed.

That's what i would think too, Colo means they MONITOR everything to the last byte & watt LOL, unless you have friends there or something.

I have a shaw Business package 50$ month with 1 static ip and 5 dynamic, and a 50 down 6mb up.

My rack full o goodies is pulling 330watts right now AND that has 3 test switches and a small firewall on it just sitting there doing nothing...

I just have colo at work. So it is MUCH cheaper. Probably have about 2kw of draw with 90-100mbit of 95%. Works out well. :p

Just got back from the Ren't house, Setup their new Engenius WAP. Took some pics of the Untangle box and small equipment.

DSCN3274.JPG

DSCN3275.JPG

Untangle Box.
DSCN3278.JPG

OH much better signal now :)

rings%2520wifi.jpg

On the way to the rent i also picked this up for next week install for work :) I think i want one :) Little ASA 5505

DSCN3280.JPG

DSCN3281.JPG

DSCN3282.JPG

On the way to the rent i also picked this up for next week install for work :) I think i want one :) Little ASA 5505

Let me know, I think I am willing to part ways with mine. It is too slow for my 100Mbit internet connection.

Hi
I am new here but wow guyz I wish i could have some of your setup.

Here's mine, It's nothing compare to what i see here but I just got to my first appart a month ago. One of these will maybe be my pfsense but i want to get a rack with some Rackmount sever it will be better for my lab.

I took the suggestion of enclosing my batteries, I kinda wanted to anyway but the thought of having something fall between the two terminals kinda made me make a priority of it.

(cover removed)

Also got two pieces of Drycore to raise it up a bit. I do have a few leak issues in the basement and while that area is ok, better safe than sorry. Getting the leak issues fixed this summer though. I also need to tidy up the cables and stuff behind there, I'm still in test phase so I got a split wire adapter hooked up so I can check current draw to calculate wattage.

I went with the Tupperware container as while Canadian Tire DID have battery boxes, they only had terminal holes on one side, and figured if I'm going to buy something only to modify it, may as well buy a single big container that can hold both batteries. The main idea is to hide the terminals and this gets the job done. I actually like this better as it's easier to open and semi transparent so I can get a quick visual whenever I pass by there.

I almost bought two more but decided against it, I need to stop spending money, and 4-5 hours is plenty of time for 99% of outages. We don't get that many outages and when we do they usually last 1-2 hours tops.

Overall not the cleanest looking setup and it would be better off on a shelf/cabinet of sorts, but it will do for now. At some point I want to find a place to buy cable ends and a crimper and crimp my own cables that way I can get longer ones. Idealy I would have liked to put the inverter charger itself in a position where I can actually look at the display but I was constrained by the short cables.

At some point I want to find a place to buy cable ends and a crimper and crimp my own cables that way I can get longer ones. Idealy I would have liked to put the inverter charger itself in a position where I can actually look at the display but I was constrained by the short cables.

When I make battery cables, I use copper ends I get from either a marine/boat supply store or my local auto parts store. What I do is lock it upright in a vise, and use a blowtorch to heat it while I melt solder into it so its basically half full then I put the 4awg wire in and let it cool. Makes a better then connection then crimping. I heatshrink the ends to keep things nice.

Much like this > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsUY7yVlbfI

Last edited:
Yeah well right now they're in the open so they have tons of space, between windows/doors being opened the air gets exchanged enough. I was also reading that even if all the potential hydrogen of a battery was released at once it would not be enough to be that dangerous, maybe do a little "pop".

In the future when I upscale this system I will probably look at a full enclosed system that is ventilated separately outside with two small pipes. Tricky part is the need for a heat exchanger if I do this, I don't want to freeze the batteries, nor overheat them in summer.

I am looking into a hydrogen sensor to be safe though.

Your only soldering the ends onto the wire, It shouldn't effect how flexible the wire is at all.
"You're". Solder wicks into the braids of the stranded wire, making it stiff and brittle. In this application, that's happening at the anchor of the connector, exactly at the point where we want the most flexibility. I'm sure we'll hear back with a post full of country wisdom about how it never causes a problem and it's always done this way, and so on, but it's not a technique that's use in applications requiring any kind of reliability.

5505s are great pieces of hardware.

Here is a quick picture of my revamped network:

networke.png

An older shot of the server closet when it was under construction. I have to take an updated shot with the walls and doors up:

20120326203937.jpg

A question to others running their own equipment at home - with you current setup how much are you spending on power?

Having just moved out of my parents finally into a place of my own, having 3 servers and my network equipment running 24/7 my power bill was like 90 for the month.

That's insane, it's basically a car payment. :eek:

I'm on equal billing and it was raised to 170/mo this winter but I think it's because the block heater for the car. I really need to install a timer for that. :p Normally my bill is around $100/mo.

An older shot of the server closet when it was under construction. I have to take an updated shot with the walls and doors up:

More pictures please. I am interested in building a small closet for my servers as well and am looking for ideas.

Now that everyone is cheering me on to get a ASA5505 :) I think i just might do it.

As it stands i have one in my room right now to install for work, then another one is on the way for another job @ work. So i took the opertunity to open the box and have a lookie loo and take pictures of my TZ210 beside the ASA5505.

If i buy the 5505, i have lots of learning to do, the only down fall is that a 5505 is 10/100 and my TZX210 is gig interface and gig lan.

Pics..

DSCN3283.JPG

Front,

DSCN3286.JPG

DSCN3290.JPG

Rear,

DSCN3287.JPG

DSCN3288.JPG

If i buy the 5505, i have lots of learning to do, the only down fall is that a 5505 is 10/100 and my TZX210 is gig interface and gig lan.

Who cares that the 5505 is a 10/100? Only pipe traffic through it that's heading outbound to the net!

As for lots of learning, I don't see any downside to that either!

Who cares that the 5505 is a 10/100? Only pipe traffic through it that's heading outbound to the net!

As for lots of learning, I don't see any downside to that either!

it's all a good thing, just thought that a 10/100 would be EOL.. I was told I really should get a layer3 gig switch BUT F-ME those are $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I could sell my brand new Sg200 tho... Humm....:eek::eek:

I care...I have a 100Mbit WAN pipe that they asa5505 cannot keep up with, thus my desire to get rid of it.

I have had a 5505 on a 100/100 in the datacenter and got 90/90 out of it.

Not bad out of a 5505. I've seen these little guys perform very well depending on the cpu load and features being used. Still nice little boxes. Ill be using mine again when I move into my house. Current setup I'm behind a nat router in my apt complex and dont have a public ip to setup my vpn etc

Heres some pics I've randomly taken. Messy switch at a remote location cleaned up when I added a 2nd switch to the stack. Note on these pictures, I put velcro zip ties in place and got rid of the normal plastic ones in the picture. I didn't have a roll with me when I did this clean up but I went back and made sure it was totally right

Messy

Clean

Click on my images to see them, Its not linking to the site how it should in a variety of vBulletin codes i've tried out :)

Last edited:
I have had a 5505 on a 100/100 in the datacenter and got 90/90 out of it.

I have run/configured several 5505's, not a single one has hit over 60Mbps. Post your sanitized config so I can see if I get the same results as you...

Back