Network pics thread

Look good as always, but I have one issue with that setup... Why not put the server below the switches? that way the wires going between the switches and patch panel don't interfere with accessing the server (etheir to pull it out or to access the CDROM).

I dunno, I never use the cd rom only to install untangle, other than that it just sits there, I like keeping networking with networking and servers with servers.

I dunno, I never use the cd rom only to install untangle, other than that it just sits there, I like keeping networking with networking and servers with servers.
BAH, just put the untangle box just below the switches then. that way you won't have to disconnect all the networking cables when the time comes to access the untangle boxes hardware... Just sayin' :D

BAH, just put the untangle box just below the switches then. that way you won't have to disconnect all the networking cables when the time comes to access the untangle boxes hardware... Just sayin' :D

you mean move this "AGAIN" man your creating work for me! LOL

Bunch of Ubiquiti antennas for an upcoming IP camera project... we go through a lot of Ubiquiti radios throughout the year

580845_3078532877716_1095570040_32429754_2127067374_n.jpg

+1

More work for joo!!!!!

We use a combination of GeoVision IP cameras and VivoTek IP Cameras (GeoVision are actually VivoTek with crappier software, BUT our NVR systems are GeoVIsion so we don't pay for IP licenses when we use GeoVision products on a GeoVision NVR... otherwise I have to pay per camera to use the VivoTek for licensing)

Bluefox is selling some of these MSA devices over in his thread, Since i got a infraction for posting in his thread, i thought i would share it here,

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1684020&highlight=bluefox

just plugged mine in, and its using 133watts running untangle with nothing plugged in, no ethernet cables or anything.

Not sure what the board can use for a cpu, its a LGA775 should be able to handle a core2duo witch uses WAY less power than the P4 that's in it.

I'm selling mine 190$ shipped. ( usa & canada )

DSCN3136.JPG

DSCN0286.JPG

DSCN0298.JPG

Bluefox is selling some of these MSA devices over in his thread, Since i got a infraction for posting in his thread, i thought i would share it here,

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1684020&highlight=bluefox

just plugged mine in, and its using 133watts running untangle with nothing plugged in, no ethernet cables or anything.

Not sure what the board can use for a cpu, its a LGA775 should be able to handle a core2duo witch uses WAY less power than the P4 that's in it.

I'm selling mine 190$ shipped. ( usa & canada )

DSCN3136.JPG

DSCN0286.JPG

DSCN0298.JPG

That power usage is the deal killer there for me :(.

some form of green or low power HDD might bring that down a bit as well.

I was going to suggest a celeron E3300 and a laptop HDD but you beat me to it...

Not going to do any more tinkering with it. I'm selling it, not needed anymore :) Untangle "green" is working :)

Just working out some issues...

Dash

Dash

Is yours the Scorpio-X model?
I have one of these that i bought of ebay. But i cant seem to get any video from the VGA or anything in putty from the console ports either.

Any ideas?

Dash

I have one of these that i bought of ebay. But i cant seem to get any video from the VGA or anything in putty from the console ports either.

Any ideas?

I'm not sure, have you looked at the vga cable ? the header cable, see if its plugged in properly ?

Dash

Any ideas?

Might remove and re-seat the CPU. I know it sounds odd but it's been known to make them work.

Might remove and re-seat the CPU. I know it sounds odd but it's been known to make them work.

\mine worked perfect when i got it, however, i remove the cpu on anything computer related and re-thermal grease it..

Bit of an update...

Been battling for about a month now with a UK company who said they had some stuff in stock (Supermicro X7SPA-H-D525 board and the Supermicro chassis with all the ports on the front (except power)).

Well eventually, after I prodded them via email with a bit of a stiff one (Oooerrr!!?!) it arrived around 8:37 this morning....

assembled and being built...

Bit closer...

WooHoo!!

And racked... I say racked but it`s screwed to the legs of an Ikea table (Lack, if you`re interested)

And another with the lights on..

and logged into (almost) with it in its new home...

At the moment I`m only using the two onboard Gb NIC`s, WAN and LAN, I don`t need any more for the time being so I may keep my eye out on ebay for the riser/bracket and a Dual port Intel pro 1000.

I`ve also shut down my long serving IPCop SFF machine, it`s still in place for now until I know for sure that I`ll not experience any issues with this beast... The X7SPA-H-D525 is a dual core 1.8Ghz Atom. I stuck 4GB DDR3 (2x 2GB) in the 2 Sodimm slots and loaded 64-bit Untangle, so far it`s sailing along nicely, should be well future proofed for when my bandwidth upgrade comes along in July.

Any pointers, advice or general heads up for the coming days/weeks with UT?

Bit of an update...

Been battling for about a month now with a UK company who said they had some stuff in stock (Supermicro X7SPA-H-D525 board and the Supermicro chassis with all the ports on the front (except power)).

Well eventually, after I prodded them via email with a bit of a stiff one (Oooerrr!!?!) it arrived around 8:37 this morning....

whats the cpu load sitting at ?

Errm well it says "low" lol

Not sure I can openly just post the name on a publicly visible forum, I can however PM you.....

Basically they had the best price in the UK for the parts I was after and showed their availability for both as 100 so I ordered on the Saturday, heard from them on the following Monday saying my order was confirmed and my goods had been allocated, then on the Wednesday saying they were out of stock and there would be a 2 week lead time, and here I am 2 weeks after the 2 week lead time has come and gone, so I spat my dummy out and wrote them a stiff email and lo-and-behold, they turn up the following day! At 8:37 no less! Amazing!

I have used scan in the past and had a bit of trouble with them, admittedly this was many MANY years ago.

Have to say though, it was worth the wait, this thing is FANTASTIC! Thanks to Dash for pushing me!!:D

Last edited:
I have used scan in the past and had a bit of trouble with them, admittedly this was many MANY years ago.

Have to say though, it was worth the wait, this thing is FANTASTIC! Thanks to Dash for pushing me!!:D

now time to get a 40x40x40 12-24v fan, OR get a blower fan and run it at 8V so it can pull air in and over the cpu, keeping the cpu cool will help with LIFE and speed.. The hotter the cpu gets the slower it goes.. ( protection )

I started pretty recently at a school system as a network administrator. This past weekend I did a little cable sorting. It's not perfect but it is much easier to plug/unplug stuff and find where something goes.

Before
photo-4-M.jpg

After
photo-M.jpg

I want to claw my eyes out when someone doesn't do "patch panel - switch - patch panel - switch" etc.

Should just bring in hedge clippers.

I want to claw my eyes out when someone doesn't do "patch panel - switch - patch panel - switch" etc.

You would love our wiring closets then. Whoever did the initial runs in our main hospital did an awesome job, every cable was the perfect length (the cables in the back, not the patch cables) and it was all beautiful. Then the two IT guys who are there (I'm in a different facility) used 6 foot and 10 foot patch cables and it turned into a nightmare. IDK WTF they were thinking... Our other facilities aren't much better. Any time I have to rip out a switch, I do it nicely and redo it, but that's very rare that I need to. Our one in this building makes me cry everytime I need to do something in there.

I don't think that would be any better for us considering it is a 12 port chassis. Would be like 6 rows of patch, switch, 6 rows of patch, switch. I don't think you would be able to fit all the cables in the vertical chase. I had a hard enough time with 48 which is why I had to loop them in the middle.

I don't think that would be any better for us considering it is a 12 port chassis. Would be like 6 rows of patch, switch, 6 rows of patch, switch. I don't think you would be able to fit all the cables in the vertical chase. I had a hard enough time with 48 which is why I had to loop them in the middle.

I would do switch patch siwtch patch, and if not enough room in one rack, id use both, atleast the cabels would not be HANGING and pulling on the ports of the switch. THAT CANT be good for the ports.

Back