Network pics thread

JPF_, what is that place? Looks like something to do with phones from my end?

And yeah, I noticed your site was down Dash.

The new dells are actually VERY quiet. It's common to accidentally pick one up to move it and then realize "oh shiiiii this thing is on!". They're that quiet. :D

My Pfsense box running on a PE 1650 on the other hand... that server alone makes my basement sound like a data center. Drywall is surprisingly good at blocking sound.

Here are some more.......fun times.

(snip)

Disclaimer: These were taken in Mexico using Adobe Photoshop, in no way depict the conditions of any work environment......or something.....lmfao...

Wow that looks pretty clean to consider the amount of wires. At least based on my experience. :D

The new dells are actually VERY quiet. It's common to accidentally pick one up to move it and then realize "oh shiiiii this thing is on!". They're that quiet. :D

My Pfsense box running on a PE 1650 on the other hand... that server alone makes my basement sound like a data center. Drywall is surprisingly good at blocking sound.

Yup, all the 12th gem stuff is quiet, they call it throttling the fan are a low rpm till it's getting wrm in certain zones othe chassis.

Just did my 12th gem cert looks like idrac is going license style, all servers will have idrac built on board, then when u buy or change board u have to import the license that tells what the idrac can and can't do for functions.

Sorry for spellings in iPhone right now lol

yes for a few more days ... maybe till tonight if i put my blog on a temporary box..

http://dashpuppy.com is back up and running temporarily on my shuttle Linux box.. till my new Dell R415 arrives, and i can put it all back into vm's :)

Edit, for photo :)

messy bench,

wordpress on my spare shuttle box,

DSCN0248.JPG

Last edited:
6200 Powerconnects are Broadcom based, and some other Dell's are Marvell Technology Group..

Dell - $1399.00 (And probably less with out Government discount)
Force 10 S55 $9,611.00
Cisco 3560G $5,186.10
Juniper EX4200-24T-DC $4,672.99

We are a SMB of 20 people with very little traffic on our network, at most those 5448's (Programs that run on them are crap and the companies won't support them in a VM environment)

Are the Dell's are really that bad to justify $10,000 for 2 switches when I could buy 9 dell's for the price. I have a 6224f that we haven't had any problems with, and our 2x 5448's haven't had any problems at all. None of our 3x 3525P's or 1x 3548P's have had problems either. We do not do much layer 3 at all, only layer 3 we have now is to give 2 public access computers access to printers on internal vlan.

Don't buy new cisco gear, let someone else take the hit. You can pick up 48p 3750/3560g for $1400 and have absolutely no limitations.

The dell switches are manufactured by SMC and have terrible feature sets.. kinda like buying a hub when a switch is just slightly more.. sure both do the same job but which one is EOL first?

why are so many people using RAID 6 these days?

Because with 20TB of data you don't want to have the array fail while its rebuilding. Fail a drive from a raid 5 and you effectively have a raid 0. Raid 6 fails to a raid 5.

haha, Our Avaya set up.......

Cant wait till we switch to Cisco voip.......oh the joy.
That wiring wasn't too bad actually, that's a ton of pairs.

Good luck with the Cisco VoIP setup... I'm a bit Avaya slanted myself. Why the switch off Avaya?

Don't buy new cisco gear, let someone else take the hit. You can pick up 48p 3750/3560g for $1400 and have absolutely no limitations.

If there is one thing I've learned working in enterprise it's that service agreements are worth more than gold, because when something goes wrong (not if) you need the quickest turn around time possible.

Dash bought a new server :)

DID lots and lots of research about this server, Dell R415 dual CPU and can take PLENTY OF RAM

Dell Poweredge R415 Server
Quad Core 2.2Ghz , 8GB, 2x500GB, RAID , Drac 6

Configuration Details:
Two 2.2GHZ Quad Core Opteron Processors installed
Two 500GB Hitachi Ultrastar 7200rpm hot plug drives included
4x2GB PC3-10600 1333MHZ Ram Installed
DVD
H200 Raid Controller Installed
Includes IDrac 6 Express
Two Hot Plug Power supplies

My plans are to stuff it with tons of ram, then build or buy a storage server ( bigger and faster than my qnap )
I have a bunch of 2GB dimms if you want to buy some really cheap...shoot me a PM if you want to double your memory right off the bat :)

If there is one thing I've learned working in enterprise it's that service agreements are worth more than gold, because when something goes wrong (not if) you need the quickest turn around time possible.

And for us, a government muni, we cannot legally buy used equipment.

friendly disclaimer disavowing its his work ETC ETC

yup...thought can't you smartnet used equipment?

And for us, a government muni, we cannot legally buy used equipment.

I have the same problem.

its VERY hard to get approval for used stuff, you basically have to prove you a) cannot buy new or b) new is just tooo much.

I have a box of 4 port 10/100 cards for my old 7206's, that we got on some used gear website, for 20 a piece. new was ~600 bucks each, and we had no spare, so if one went down the router could operate at about 20% capacity compared to what its doing now....

I think you can get a smartnet on it but I think it either needs to be bought from a distributer (not the bay) or if you do get it from eBay the device needs to be sent off for them to look at.

Exactly, I have a R415 but a bit more vanilla than Dash's and it's quiet, really quiet, like I could have it on my desk nearby and still be beareable.

thats exactly what i like to hear :)

I'm hoping to stuff mine with TONS AND TONS OF RAM!! but i also just read that if it's full of ram it get's loud...

Just checked FEDEX YAY MY SERVER IS GOING TO BE HERE THIS WEEK HELLS YESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thats exactly what i like to hear :)

I'm hoping to stuff mine with TONS AND TONS OF RAM!! but i also just read that if it's full of ram it get's loud...

Just checked FEDEX YAY MY SERVER IS GOING TO BE HERE THIS WEEK HELLS YESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You consume way too much sugar or caffeine or something.

Got told that I'm getting an RM Diskbox along with the DL380.
The diskbox will either be the 8TB version (8x1TB drives) or the 16TB version (8x2TB drives). Either way, that's a damn lotta space right there.

We use an 8TB version at work as a dump area for the images when we rebuild machines, backing up local profiles, that sort of stuff.

@Dash, damn that looks beasty. Too bad I'm only 16 and don't have the money lmao. £95/week sucks, but hey, free quals!

Looks like he is fooling around with untangle- Which from my experience is great, I use it for everything, does my dhcp and all that crap- much easier than going other routes. The box looks really cool, but those things are expensive.. 300 bucks expensive... Im not planning to put that much into that sort of thing.

my 100 dollar VM server is just fine for me :) tho the 16gb max ram is a kick in the balls...

new home wireless router..
IMG_20120320_080327.jpg

hoping to add a nice Cisco 881 from work that we aren't using to the collection as well. just for shits and giggles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Power draw on one of our VNX Arrays

vnx_power.png

and, heres a blinky light video
]

Just got a email this morning, guess i'm going for more EMC training.. Leaving April to Massachusetts for 7 days :) Doing EMC VNX stuff.... AND of course ill do another thread with loads of pictures :)

Yes Dash- between cable modem, wireless router, my cisco switch, and the DL385 running in low power mode im at about 360watt.

its higher when I have my FreeNAS running, but that isnt very often.

Yes Dash- between cable modem, wireless router, my cisco switch, and the DL385 running in low power mode im at about 360watt.

its higher when I have my FreeNAS running, but that isnt very often.

OUCH!

I had way more than that and i was under 200... Time for a better more efficient server...

I'm just using the term he said on the phone.

I can use both ports 25 for 1-12 and port 26 for 12 -24 by taking one set and un tagging the other. Basically splitting the switch into 2 half's.

Just got this working on my SG200.

Port 25 comes from my 1st nic on untangle 192.168.2.x
port 26 comes from my 2nd nic on untangle 192.168.50.x

Anything from 1-10 is port 25 gets a ip, anything from port 10-24 gets ip from 26

this is pretty sweet, now i don't have to run 2 switches to separate the 2 subnets..

good Example.

219224666.jpg

Back