Network pics thread

looks to be DS3 interface. Which routing engines are in those? used to use 7204VXR w/ NPEG2's at my previous job.

wow those 7204 VXRs look like they can route some packets!

What are you actually using them for?

Not very exciting but testing some 7204 VXRs and getting them ready to deploy, also some 7304s

http://www.haastility.com/stuff/7204.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://www.haastility.com/stuff/7304.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Nice. Any reason you didn't go with ASRs?

Hmmmm wonder if I can talk my boss into letting me take home the Force10 test device that Dell let us have and just recently told us that we can keep :LOL:. We dont run Force10 anyone on our network. its either Cisco or Dell PowerConnect switches.

Its a 24 port S25 switch. sure would increase my nerd level at home :LOL:

New CCNA toy came in. Busy playing with it at work all day.

swiftcurrent2012030900058.jpg

Kinda pitifull compared to the other Cisco gear just posted :(

^^ My dads doing the CCNA at the moment, he was up at Benham Valance for a Cisco Lab day on Tuesday, asked him for some pics but he forgot.. :rolleyes:

No network pics on my part at the moment, if it counts I managed to get hold of a 2port KVM lol.

RE the 90smth GB ram a few pages ago, nice. I'm going to try and find out the specs of our VM Hosts at work, will also try get some pics for here :)

Got a good deal on one. Cisco 881 for 200 bucks shipped. Also have an ASA 5505 Unlimited coming here next week as well. Got that one for a good deal as well. 300 bucks shipped for that.

you paid that ? or your asking 200$ for one :) hehe

I was bored enough to put the pricing together to compare 7200s to ASRs. These are all list price.

1. 7206 w/NPE-G2 - $32,500 with PA
2. 7204 w/NPE-G1 - $27,500 with PA
3. ASR 1001 - $26,000 with SPA (this SPA does 2xT3)

There's no 7204 + G2 bundle (bundles make everything cheaper), so I did the 7206 with G2 and 7204 with G1. The ASR destroys both of these on performance AND it's cheaper. With the 7200 going EOL, I don't really see any reason to purchase/deploy them at this point.

I was bored enough to put the pricing together to compare 7200s to ASRs. These are all list price.

1. 7206 w/NPE-G2 - $32,500 with PA
2. 7204 w/NPE-G1 - $27,500 with PA
3. ASR 1001 - $26,000 with SPA (this SPA does 2xT3)

There's no 7204 + G2 bundle (bundles make everything cheaper), so I did the 7206 with G2 and 7204 with G1. The ASR destroys both of these on performance AND it's cheaper. With the 7200 going EOL, I don't really see any reason to purchase/deploy them at this point.

the one I mentioned, we bought used NPE G2's, had 400's in them prior. paid nowhere near that much.

What are those 7200s mainly used for? Internet routers? Never touched or seen one before so I'm curious.

Sorry, I meant that I bought one for that much. If you want VPN support, you'd be better off with an ASA IMO. An ASA5505 would be perfect.

I don't know how well that would work. Im using a TZ210 right now with vlan support and im maxing the cpu out when transferring info across the vlans, IE backups & files to my storage nas untis.

Some times i wish i bought a layer3 switch so it did all the dhcp & routing at the switch, instead of going through the firewall..

the one I mentioned, we bought used NPE G2's, had 400's in them prior. paid nowhere near that much.

I'm not sure I see the point of your post. Obviously you can't compare new gear prices to used gear prices. My post isn't really directed to someone buying used gear. My post is directed to a normal network engineer who's purchasing gear through normal channels.

I don't know how well that would work. Im using a TZ210 right now with vlan support and im maxing the cpu out when transferring info across the vlans, IE backups & files to my storage nas untis.

Some times i wish i bought a layer3 switch so it did all the dhcp & routing at the switch, instead of going through the firewall..

I just have all my personal gear on one main network and my guest network on the other. It makes things easier. I just assign each to their own interface and disable routing in between and then VLAN at the switch.

I just have all my personal gear on one main network and my guest network on the other. It makes things easier. I just assign each to their own interface and disable routing in between and then VLAN at the switch.

Might be where i end up soon :) back to untangle, and ditch the sonicwall..

I ended up having to build an i3 pfsense box to get wire speed gigabit between vlans, tried with an atom D525 but it would max out at around 350-450 mbps. Although I get the impression that it was probably the pci bus limiting me rather than a lack of processing power.

Bought an SG300 to use that before deciding on the i3 but I wasn't overly keen on dhcp relay and lack of firewall options if i'd used that pushed me back to pfsense, still a nice switch though.

Won a dell 5224 off ebay, should be a nice upgrade for my current 3024 switch.

e. well I hooked up the switch, every fan in the thing was dead/making horrid noise. Looks like I'm orderin 3 new fans.

Last edited:
Won a dell 5224 off ebay, should be a nice upgrade for my current 3024 switch.

e. well I hooked up the switch, every fan in the thing was dead/making horrid noise. Looks like I'm orderin 3 new fans.

Good score, fans are cheap :) and easy to change....

I has a sg200 love it,

400k pps, but you can get an NPE-G2 in a 7204 chassis that routes 2million pps

my 2 are even older and do about 120K PPS

replacing them with 2911's that do about 180K (we arent that big) in a week or two

Powerconnect 5448 (I hope to replace soon with redundant 6224's)
Powerconnect 3524P
1x Powervault NX3100
5x Poweredge R710's

Sorry, I meant that I bought one for that much. If you want VPN support, you'd be better off with an ASA IMO. An ASA5505 would be perfect.

I bought this,

DSC01276.jpg
DSC01274.jpg

its a MSA isa server with win 2k3 on it, but i'm most likely going to throw Untangle 9.2 on it and use it as a untangle firewall.

OR throw it on ebay for cheap and buy a Dell R200 and throw a quad port nic into it.

Back