Network pics thread

Wouldn't it be better to have less ram stick's and more mem per stick ?

I don't know if it has a technical reason behind it as most 4GB ram and 8GB ram kits use the almost the same current draw.

However for my builds I use bigger sticks and leave several slots open for if down the road I need to add more.

Had to change out some bad ram on a Cisco UCS blade tonight that has been throwing errors all week. Gotta love late night maintenance. That is what 196GB of ram looks like :D Fingers crossed that it does not happen to my other blades.

eViRGl.jpg

OMG :eek:
Good luck with that! :p

That's one of the cases when the lights out functionality of "this stick is bad" comes in handy haha.

He can just replace them all and send the old ones to me, I'll try to find the one that's bad and send it back "its this one!". :D

I put them on my keychain :) good for scraping the window when it's frosty,

I think i still have my 30pin 1mb stick from my first 486 LOL!

I put them on my keychain :) good for scraping the window when it's frosty,

I think i still have my 30pin 1mb stick from my first 486 LOL!

A window scraper? Never even thought of using one... I use them for box cutters at work.

Just run memtest and see at what "GB" it's failing and start pulling one at a time :p.

The person who posted from this site gave what may be the best answer possible: his equipment provider required the ground leads to maintain warrenty. I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest he probably wasn't the power/grounding engineer responsible for designing this installation - so I don't know why you would expect to get an answer better than that one.

And re-read your posts. They do appear to be quite hostile and derisive. You might not have intended that - but they are.

exactly.

If I had the knowledge to tell Motorola to STFU becayse thety were wrong, I wouldnt be working this job. They have people *much* more knowledgeable than I am, designing the grounding for billions of dollars worth of installations, why would I argue with them.

How interesting! I didn't know that Motorola installed the external chassis grounding leads on your HP switches. Do you know why they did that?

seriously? get the fuck outta here :rolleyes:

if they were never going to ever maybe need an external chasis ground, why would HP manufacture then into the switches?

beats me, but they do. why dont you start emailing HP and tell them that their switch engineers are stupid?

My HP's have an LED for each stick of ram on the front of the chassis to display which one is bad.

thats awesome.

TADA,

yeah it just thrown together for when i get some time today / tomorrow to move the cables * coax cable for the modem.

still need to buy a shelf for the rear to hold up my 3 storage drives & shaw modem& poe injectors

DSCN0222.JPG

Upgraded both our vSphere boxen from 32GB to 96GB...also went from 2GB modules (yuck) to 8GB modules.
IMG_20120228_143416.jpg

OK, a nice little addition.... thanks to Dash for the prod in the right direction...
QNAP TS-419U+
imag0118y.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

imag0119bg.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

imag0120i.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Some nice new Seagate 2TB "green" disks to go with it...

imag0121t.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

imag0122c.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Almost there....
imag0124ac.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And last but not least.....
19140631.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Slow, but getting there....

Still got some general tidying/cleaning up to do and need to change those "patch cables" out, but it`s functional, or rather it will be when those disks have sorted themselves out...

OK, a nice little addition.... thanks to Dash for the prod in the right direction...
QNAP TS-419U+
Slow, but getting there....

Still got some general tidying/cleaning up to do and need to change those "patch cables" out, but it`s functional, or rather it will be when those disks have sorted themselves out...

You will love this machine :) I sure love mine :)

Quick question for you folks who install network drops/ect.

Where do you order from? I have a Panduit 2 post rack + cable management already, but I need several 24 port patch panels, several hundred patch cords, and some other misc parts. Monoprice.com is just too cheap for this situation (I need Cat6/Cat6a cert gear and I just do not trust Monoprice equipment.)

Thanks!

Quick question for you folks who install network drops/ect.

Where do you order from? I have a Panduit 2 post rack + cable management already, but I need several 24 port patch panels, several hundred patch cords, and some other misc parts. Monoprice.com is just too cheap for this situation (I need Cat6/Cat6a cert gear and I just do not trust Monoprice equipment.)

Thanks!

i'm a mono price.com fan. never really had any issues,

Never had an issue with monoprice either. I might get a panduit or hubbell or leviton patch panel if it's business or enterprise, but their patch cables are great for home or enterprise.

again, monoprice. we did a whole slew of cables for new datacenter, no bad cables, all lengths it is nice and color coding is easy :D

monoprice.com for home, and I generally use leviton products from a local electrical supplier for my work installations. If a potential customer balks at the price on a quote, I could discuss cheaper (mono price products) offerings, but generally leviton.

Nice rack Dash, I'm looking for something similar, maybe a little bigger.

And geezus, 98GB of ram? How many virtual servers running on there?
We run virtual at work, my boss gave my a better idea on how they actually work, he's going to take me up to the server room and show my at a later date too.

Nice rack Dash, I'm looking for something similar, maybe a little bigger.

And geezus, 98GB of ram? How many virtual servers running on there?
We run virtual at work, my boss gave my a better idea on how they actually work, he's going to take me up to the server room and show my at a later date too.

Well its 192GB for the cluster of 2 boxes. Running about 35 VM's on vSphere with HA enabled. Not all the memory is populated yet but I have yet to migrate our 2 physical database servers onto the cluster. Each of the DB servers have 24GB of memory and they use every bit of it.

Last edited:
oh FWIW the grounding standards we are supposed to follow is Motorola R56

terminations are getting done finally
IMAG0355.jpg

and I have got to stop getting the default 10ft power cords from Dell :/

IMAG0358.jpg

we always just threw the dell cords in a drawer, all our cables got purchased from someplace else

Ok, I am going to give monoprice another shot. Several patch cables I ordered last time had poor/bad ends. Overall they were pretty nice and I still use them for home/family.

Back