Network pics thread

Rack is a bit more cleaned up. still waiting for my goodies to arrive this week..

IMG_1376.jpg

Been playing with Red-hat & Ubuntu server 11.10 server with Virtualization software.

IMG_1377.JPG

what a idiot... make sure you let them have it...leaf blow the boxes if you don't want to unrack it...they did the wood floors in our house, kicked the server room door in and that same issue happened but much worse...I wish I had a camera at the time...any damage so far?

Best I've seen was a while back, some contractors were boxing in the cabinet / wiring cabinets to create an IT room with the aim of keeping all the dust from the warehouse on the outside, all cutting was done away from the build area and it was a nice clean quick put up with minimal dust generated..

until the guy mounting the boards on the frame had realised he hadn't put in space for a door.. out came the sledgehammers and you can guess the rest.

Wow that is crazy, you'd think they would have communicated ahead of time.

Gotta love the corporate world. Everybody does their own job and even if it can affect someone else's stuff, they wont communicate it if it's not part of the process. At least when I worked at the hospital if the electrician or hvac guys had to do anything in the server room they let us know, and if it was impacting they gave us a heads up. The maintenance guys in general were pretty good for that. Never had any issues.

Reminds me of when my friend had a brand-new (<100 miles) Nissan Z. He went out clubbing and picked up a hottie who was a tad drunk. On the drive home she projectile vomitted all over the dashboard and down the air vents. Shorted out some of the electronics as well.

It's tough. My wife puked in my 911 when it was only a few weeks old. You clean up and move on. A little dust isn't going to cause any damage.

Plaster dust can make that shit rust right up.

Some fuck head did that at a place I used to work at, after I left. He was too lazy to move shit out of the server room while work was being done for two weeks. :rolleyes:

Sorry about the pics, my hand was shaking in anger!

Some f**king idiot thought it was a good idea to do some prep work on the walls in the server room without lettiong me know. He sanded the paint down while the servers, switches etc where all running!

Look at all the dust! All new, just installed and full of crap.

My boss and I are the ONLY ones with keys to the server room, this would never happen if correct security measures are in place. Audit logs, motion activated camera, ect.

Ugh, that sucks. :( Unfortunately when it comes to people doing work around your equipment, you can never be safe (unless you keep it locked up and supervise them at all times). Wish I had pics, but some electrician butchered one of my comms cupboards a few years back. He went to install his cable box, and in the process jigsawed out a hole (around 4" square) in the wooden faceplate with a jigsaw. I promptly got a call from said technician complaining about there being wires behind where he wanted to install his cable box, and that he almost damaged his jigsaw as he was cutting through them.

That was a long afternoon of re-running and patching wires.

Ugh, that sucks. :( Unfortunately when it comes to people doing work around your equipment, you can never be safe (unless you keep it locked up and supervise them at all times). Wish I had pics, but some electrician butchered one of my comms cupboards a few years back. He went to install his cable box, and in the process jigsawed out a hole (around 4" square) in the wooden faceplate with a jigsaw. I promptly got a call from said technician complaining about there being wires behind where he wanted to install his cable box, and that he almost damaged his jigsaw as he was cutting through them.

That was a long afternoon of re-running and patching wires.

This is a perfect example of why I watch people like a hawk if they ever need to do anything in the server room, because at the end of the day, I'm the one that has to fix the shit if they break anything, and I already have more then enough work to do.

Sorry about the pics, my hand was shaking in anger!

Some f**king idiot thought it was a good idea to do some prep work on the walls in the server room without lettiong me know. He sanded the paint down while the servers, switches etc where all running!

Look at all the dust! All new, just installed and full of crap.

I'd be pissed at whoever let them into the room first without questioning why they were going in.

This Arrived yesterday :( to bad it didn't work in my server FUCK!! My server requireds x8 rank not x4 :( so back to newegg.ca it goes plus a re-stocking. LAME so now i have to ordered my ram from ncix.com instead..

On the plus note, the server still runs and i got my new hp nic installed.

DSCN0016.JPG

DSCN0020.JPG

DSCN0022.JPG

NO BOOT
DSCN0023.JPG

nic

DSCN0024.JPG

Server Inside.

DSCN0025.JPG

On the plus note, the server still runs and i got my new hp nic installed.

Is that the HP NC360T? (aka the Intel Pro / 1000 PT Dual). I just took delivery of 2 of these and installed in my HP Microservers (FreeNAS and WHS 2011).

My server requireds x8 rank not x4
Hit this issue with my ZFS skt 1156 build. I hate having to keep "special" ram that is only usable in one system.

Hit this issue with my ZFS skt 1156 build. I hate having to keep "special" ram that is only usable in one system.

yeah, I so agree, what's more dumb on my part was the BlueFox reminded me that it was x8 ram too :( oh well lesson learned.

I had an issue like that with my dl320, all the papers said it needed ECC ram, everyone online agreed.

Paid 80 bucks for an 8gb kit of what it "needed." didnt work, the solution? ddr2-800 desktop ram... I was soooo pissed.. still stuck with my 80 dollar mistake..

I had an issue like that with my dl320, all the papers said it needed ECC ram, everyone online agreed.

Paid 80 bucks for an 8gb kit of what it "needed." didnt work, the solution? ddr2-800 desktop ram... I was soooo pissed.. still stuck with my 80 dollar mistake..

whats the specs ?

Which generation DL320? Wide range of possible requirements!

Been playing around with Ubuntu Server 11.10 and it's virtual machine software.

DSCN0028.JPG

DSCN0030.JPG

Pretty simple to setup seams snappy and quick too.

I don't even have a home phone. Home phones are for those who LIKE to be annoyed and bothered by cousins ringing your phone all the time.

I wish they would make a smart phone (not a mobile/cell phone) that could do whitelist-only mode, number black listing, digital conversation recording, digital message recording (answering machine component), ability to use custom sound files for ring/answering machine, etcetera. Is there even an open-source system like this for phones? (Sort of like pfSense/DD-WRT for routers.)

Not to go too far off course here but...
used to have vontage. Currently I have fios triple play. in the future I plan to use sprint wireless for phone.

It suites me fine for now. I may also move the home number to google voice that way I don't have to let everyone know that I changed my number :p
That said I'd also consider a sip/voip home brew for at home...

Last edited:
I don't even have a home phone. Home phones are for those who LIKE to be annoyed and bothered by cousins ringing your phone all the time.

I wish they would make a smart phone (not a mobile/cell phone) that could do whitelist-only mode, number black listing, digital conversation recording, digital message recording (answering machine component), ability to use custom sound files for ring/answering machine, etcetera. Is there even an open-source system like this for phones? (Sort of like pfSense/DD-WRT for routers.)

Asterisk
PBX in a Flash
FreePBX

Take your pick.

I use PBX in a flash with my Cisco IP phones. Works great!

If you could get your hands on Callmanager 7 and unity 7 for 50 bucks already have a good voice router (2801) You can join me and be made in the shade with a glass of lemonade, with IP communicator and a laptop or BYOP :) just transfer anyone you don't want to talk to into an endless series of IVR's lol

Back