Network pics thread

Reminds me of a place I have just started managing. They have all of their servers on a desk which is seriously bowing under the weight. I moved one over a support to help for the time being but yipes.

captian, those are some nice HP servers for sure, how loud are they ?

Whats the cisco gear in the rack ?

This week i installed one of these, cisco wave devices and a 2911

210924091.jpg

Stolen from Hardforum :)

but i installed one of these at a site i was at.

http://www.viakirill.com/_upload/img/p0/c2911.jpg[IMG]

The wave device was explained to me, as a cache server over vpn, it sync's data that always goes over the vpn on each site.[/QUOTE]

The WAVE is a WAAS (WAN Optimization) appliance. They optimize (compress, decrease latency, optimize TCP connections, etc) traffic between multiple points.

[url]http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5680/Products_Sub_Category_Home.html[/url]

New server I was working on the other day. HP ML370 G6. This has to be my favorite tower server of all time, just fantastic design and expansion capabilities. This is for a SBS2011 transition for a client that leases their server so they get a new one every three years. The other server in the picture is their old ML350 G5.

Specs:
Six-Core Xeon @2.53GHz with HT
18GB RAM
HP SmartArray P410i with 1GB Flash BBC
2x 146GB 15k SAS for OS
4x 300GB 10k SAS for Data, Exchange, SQL, etc
\

isn't rule #1 for exchange is to run seperate physical spindles for

Exchange
Data
Log files

and i would then think another for SQL, or is it not a very loaded server? i do love exchange 2010 and how much more efficient it is over 2007 for it's data.

\

Exchange
Data
Log files

and i would then think another for SQL, or is it not a very loaded server? i do love exchange 2010 and how much more efficient it is over 2007 for it's data.

why does it have to be like that ? Whats the propose ?

Is it a public school district? Are they purchasing through e-rate?
I'm surprised they wouldn't want the 4500 series at their core. Would they have been willing to open an RFP for refurb cisco equipment?

We can't purchase refurb when buying with e-rate funds but our bond allows us to use monies how we see fit so we are getting refurb cisco gear. The vendor we deal with gives us lifetime warranty on the refurb cisco gear we buy so we don't have to worry about smartnet for it.

Yes, its a public school district. They can't do refurb gear, looked at that option. Part of the requirement for this project was a cost effective upgrade to 10G connections in one to two years. The 10G line card for 4500e is about the same price as one of these 3560Es.

\

Exchange
Data
Log files

That would be pertinent for a larger organization. However this client has only 25 users and the server is running SBS2011. No need for that level of complication. :)

i don't know much about it, all i did was plug it in, run a few commands to set the ip and a few other things then the guy on the other end did the rest.

Right. That's why I posted a short explanation and a link. I'd assumed you were trying to understand what you were touching.

Interesting server placement there Scotty. It does not beat one school I saw where they had the servers in the bathroom though. No, seriously, there was a shelf over the toilet, and there was a bunch of servers and Cisco switches on it. I wish I had a pic. One of the techs was sitting on the toilet with the keyboard lol.

Interesting server placement there Scotty. It does not beat one school I saw where they had the servers in the bathroom though. No, seriously, there was a shelf over the toilet, and there was a bunch of servers and Cisco switches on it. I wish I had a pic. One of the techs was sitting on the toilet with the keyboard lol.

Thats hilarious.

How do you guys move your home lab equipment if you need to move?

Take it with you of course. Then again I bought a home so I shouldn't need to do any more dragging of equipment. Until of course I buy a bigger house.

But but but, it's not Cisco! ;)
It doesn't have to be Cisco. Cisco has some great things, undenied and admitted, but Cisco isn't everything. They are just one company of many who provide networking equipment.

As long as the fundamentals to networking are understood, YOU'RE GOOD.

It doesn't have to be Cisco. Cisco has some great things, undenied and admitted, but Cisco isn't everything. They are just one company of many who provide networking equipment.

As long as the fundamentals to networking are understood, YOU'RE GOOD.

Lol, was just bugging him since he's a hardcore Cisco guy.

Lol, was just bugging him since he's a hardcore Cisco guy.

Nah. Cisco is just my bread and butter. My company is a big (#3 in the US) Cisco partner, so 90% of our business is Cisco. I like a lot of vendors, like Juniper, Riverbed, Palo Alto, etc. I just don't get to touch much else.

How much is the electric bill (roughly) for most of you guys with semi-full to full racks for home labs?

I am from the uk, we use a lot juniper kit mainly their firewalls SSG and netscreens, but have not got to play with their switches seen them in datacentres over here, alot of them use them for ASDL/Broadband gateways on to the BT networks.We use HP procurve switch which i love. But also like cisco but cost to much for are customer to chose them.

How much is the electric bill (roughly) for most of you guys with semi-full to full racks for home labs?

When I had my rack set up with:

6x IBM Dual 1U Xeon servers (each with dual-500w PSUs)
HP MSA 1000 with 14 10k SCSI drives
HP MSA 30 with 14 10k drives
two Catalyst 3524XL switches

my energy bill jumped to $600 for the one month I had them all up and running (a $400 jump). So I tore them down immediately and jammed them into my colo space (free space! free bandwidth! free power!).

Now I have a rack with two servers, a switch, two WAPs and a firewall and my PG&E bill is a much more manageable $240/month (for the whole house). These days I'm much more power sensitive and always buy with an eye towards power efficiency.

my energy bill jumped to $600 for the one month I had them all up and running (a $400 jump). So I tore them down immediately and jammed them into my colo space (free space! free bandwidth! free power!).

Now I have a rack with two servers, a switch, two WAPs and a firewall and my PG&E bill is a much more manageable $240/month (for the whole house). These days I'm much more power sensitive and always buy with an eye towards power efficiency.

thats why i bought all new servers when i bought my stuff, instead of scrounging on ebay for them.

My asus server was 500$ plus proc & hdd's...

1 asus server xeon quad core & 2 x 500 gig hdds
1 asus intel core 2 duo & 4 x 160 gig hdds
1 dell power connect 5224 managed switch
1 dell 24 port gigabit switch ( non managed )
1 Linksys 24 port 10/100 switch
1 sonicwall tz210
1 15″ dell lcd
1 wd 2tb nas drive
1 wd 1tb usb drive
1 apc 1500 ups
2 poe adapters 1 for voip phone & 1 for WAP
1 shuttle computer indel core2 duo 2.2 2 hard drives inside

All this, running as we speak, and pulling 332watts. Trying to figure out what exactly my power consumption for a single month is for this server rack foll of goodies is, 332 watts isn’t really to bad considering i’m running a pile of gear..

DSCN3062.JPG

How are you getting free colo? Seems remarkable that equipment would draw more than 5000 watts.

How are you getting free colo? Seems remarkable that equipment would draw more than 5000 watts.

It's a barter system. My brother-in-law is running a web company and he doesn't know jack squat about the technical stuff (don't ask). So he asks me technical questions and has me come in and do work for him (cabling, inventory, DNS, router work, etc) from time to time and in return I get a half a cabinet of space, power and leech off of his 100mbit line to my heart's content.

I definitely come out ahead in this deal. :D

It's a barter system. My brother-in-law is running a web company and he doesn't know jack squat about the technical stuff (don't ask). So he asks me technical questions and has me come in and do work for him (cabling, inventory, DNS, router work, etc) from time to time and in return I get a half a cabinet of space, power and leech off of his 100mbit line to my heart's content.

I definitely come out ahead in this deal. :D

That sounds about right for every web hosting company....

Nah. Cisco is just my bread and butter. My company is a big (#3 in the US) Cisco partner, so 90% of our business is Cisco. I like a lot of vendors, like Juniper, Riverbed, Palo Alto, etc. I just don't get to touch much else.

Yeah ... we use Riverbed/Palo Alto too ... not too many people know about those.

Nice Juniper gear by the way -- I'm assuming they finally let you stack the 4500 with the 4200? When I bought them at my last gig that wasn't supported.

The 4200 was rock solid ... it ate any advanced routing I threw at it. Just be careful with the limited RIB size. Also, make sure you stick to the S releases (e.g. 10.0S10.1 was the one I used way back when)... stay away from the R's ... those are like T trains.

Back