Network pics thread

If that is raised flooring i'm glad you have it! A few companies here we have visited have made the mistake of not getting it installed early, then they tear up the room after lol

probably to pull air in the sides and across the cpu sink :) keep the hot air out :)

there's no air on the sides, since that's where the rails are. The cold air is on the front and the hot air exits the back. The top is covered because that's where the next higher machine is; or where the top of rack is.

Raised floors are a bit old fashioned really.

Proper cold isle with over head cables are the new way to do things.

Problems I have seen with raised floors are that it’s hard to clean under, I have seen issues with mice under there (not the computer kind!) pushing cold air up is not very efficient and you have to take care with how you distribute your racks / load.

Yes its raised floor and the whole room has been planned to death, 2 ups racks, 7 server racks and 6 two post racks for patching / comms etc

the raised floor is not used for cooling, it is to bring Cat6 in from desks and keep it out of sight.
the room will have a hot aisle containment, cooling is achieved by void units in the ceiling, cold air ducted into the cold side and the hot air is returned into the ceiling void.

were also planing to have a genset out the back which should run us at full load + cooling for 8 hours :)

I think overhead power is a terrible idea.

I've been in a few nice multi-story buildings that are not capable of raised flooring due to ceiling height limits.

I've been to a couple, they are still pretty nice places, compared to other's I've visited.

Here is the racks at $Dayjob. It was clean once.. Needs an overhaul.

Since we were on the topic of guns.
Not a day goes by that my glock 22 (.40s&w) isn't on my side or on the desk like so.
And not 15 feet behind me is the survival closet. Which has the rest of my guns (few 12ga's few hand guns. rifles... and all my ammo)

Sorry for the crappy pictures. Phone doesn't do well in anything but blinding daylight.

Here is the racks at $Dayjob. It was clean once.. Needs an overhaul.

yeah its rubbish, total rats nest of cables :p

Since we were on the topic of guns.
Not a day goes by that my glock 22 (.40s&w) isn't on my side or on the desk like so.
And not 15 feet behind me is the survival closet. Which has the rest of my guns (few 12ga's few hand guns. rifles... and all my ammo)

not that I dont carry my g19 around the house on occasion...but where do you live that you need to take it with you all over?

here is my toys:

rk2f5j.jpg

21e1bo2.jpg

I only tested it about a mile out but from what I was told you probably get out 30 some miles with these things if you got right height.

i am sure you would need some amplification for that, and an extreme line of site to be effective, maybe usefull from mountain top to mountain top

We did about a 1/4 mile with the rocket m and a 120 degree sector. Was simple and dead reliable so far. Used for ip camera on poles

I've seen and heard of 50 mile links with the right antennaes and right height and positioned correctly. UBNT makes really good stuff.

Looks like the blue cables are just patch cables from the patch panel to the switch... pretty standard practice.

I think the poster is talking about the bundle of cables that heads out to the actual network ports installed in the walls.

not that I dont carry my g19 around the house on occasion...but where do you live that you need to take it with you all over?

Actually, where I live is a decent place. I follow the "Better to have it, And not need it" way of life.

all the wires run out the back? cause i don see any blue cables top or bottom of the rack...

Looks like the blue cables are just patch cables from the patch panel to the switch... pretty standard practice.

I think the poster is talking about the bundle of cables that heads out to the actual network ports installed in the walls.

the blue cables look like they are going to a patch panel and the white cables are going to the back of the patch panels

Ya, i just saw that now, too many beers last night :D

Damn, that's alot of cores. Almost one per process. :eek:
Haven't deployed the software yet.
40 cores and only 512gb ram? :p
We're usually I/O bound. With the drive config on these systems, that might not be true anymore. These are E7-4860 Xeons, so they're 10 cores plus hyperthreading. We have two, so 20 cores and 20 HTs.

Last edited:
That is just nucking futs. What is this being used for?
Database servers at work.
I can't find a good way to represent the disk subsystem, especially since we haven't quite configured it yet. This is the plan, right now:

Code:
 1700 GB volume: 10 x 450 GB SAS drives in RAID50	// spinning data storage
 1700 GB volume: 10 x 450 GB SAS drives in RAID50

24000 GB volume: 14 x 2TB SATA drives in RAID6		// local backup landing

320 GB volume:  1 x enterprise SSD drive		// high-speed data storage
  320 GB volume:  1 x enterprise SSD drive

600 GB volume:  2 x 600 GB SAS drives in RAID10		// OS
  600 GB volume:  4 x 600 GB SAS Drives in RAID10		// database log storage
  600 GB volume:  2 x 600 GB SAS Drives in RAID10		// tempdb storage
though I'm transcribing that from memory and probably made a mistake, it looks good enough ...

Last edited:
I'd like to see someone win a game of solitaire on that. Thing you'd even see the cards fall at the end? :D

Solitaire is single-threaded, even at the win screen. It's a server, so it's got a 16MB Intel integrated graphics subsystem. It would be an underwhelming experience.

Back