Network pics thread

My little home lab for tinkering

IMG_5367.jpg

intrusion prevention, i like it. don't think my datacenter would go for it though.

way too hot here today hit Almost 30 and its Autumn here (or Fall as its know in the US)

the room hit 36 so I had to turn off the servers no ESXi 5.0, no Hyper-V and no control server :(

hot.jpg

way too hot here today hit Almost 30 and its Autumn here (or Fall as its know in the US)

the room hit 36 so I had to turn off the servers no ESXi 5.0, no Hyper-V and no control server :(

hot.jpg

Thank you for this picture Jay, i think im going to make mine look very close to that one :)

Cables at top, servers & ups on bottom etc etc..

Been reading this thread a long time. I finally decided to chime in.

Here is my home setup.

Bottom Dell - Running CentOS - VMWare Server - 5 VMs

1. File Server / Media Streamer VLAN1000 - VLAN1
2. Boinc VLAN 1000
3. Domain Controller / Exchange VLAN 1000
4. Internal Web Server VLAN 1004
5. Public Web server VLAN 1005

Bottom Dell - Not doing much of anything currently.

207p4cn.jpg

2lxxv6r.jpg

Do you think that those power cables are too short?

Obviously they were purchased to be the correct length I wanted. As I had written before, I HATE cable arms. If something goes down, there is an active backup running in its place and therefore I can afford for something to fail.

No, the power cords are just right.

I'm pretty sure I have a disease...

just picked up these two yesterday for cheap.

Cisco6500sinCar.jpg

I'd love to put one in service in my "garage data center", but that most likely won't happen.

Probably take one to my office and use it for a test environment(if we still have surplus cards). Our severs team and database teams get a dev and test, network does not.

Might try to barter the other for something, or use it as yard art. I think it could make an awesome water feature... somehow..

They must suck power like its free!

Yes Jay, I can tell you for sure they suck power like mad. They are 220 supplies, and I believe they are like 1kw each. Might be wrong, but they for sure aren't for home use, unless you own a nuclear reactor.

The 1950s may be ok for HyperV but I don't think.the 2850s will.

2850s would definitely be a bad call for Hyper-V. The Xeons in them support EMAT64 so they can run Windows 2008 R2, however they don't support VT-d or VT-x and therefore can't run 32 bit guests. I had a 1850 running ESXi for a while and while it did a great job running x86 vms I really wanted x64. Not to mention the 16GB maximum for RAM.

2850s would definitely be a bad call for Hyper-V. The Xeons in them support EMAT64 so they can run Windows 2008 R2, however they don't support VT-d or VT-x and therefore can't run 32 bit guests. I had a 1850 running ESXi for a while and while it did a great job running x86 vms I really wanted x64. Not to mention the 16GB maximum for RAM.

You need VT-x to install the Hyper-V role at all, whereas with ESXi you could still run x86 guests.

Hello every one, first post in here :)

This is my cool lackrack :)

Spec:
Hp Procurve 1800-24G
Custom pfsense server
(EPIA SN18000G, 2Gb ram,4Gb CF card,Mini-PCI Wifi with external antennes)
Whitebox server running windows 2008 r2 hyper-v
(Quad 2.64Ghz, 8GB 800Mhz DDR2 ECC, 5TB storage)

5378226388_0fe0fb0afa_b.jpg

Some cosmetic upgrade on the firewall
5461016274_7c9d4a762f_z.jpg

5451544760_f8d44cbbab_z.jpg

i-cTPH5Jc-M.jpg

i-gJ2gjTT-M.jpg

Here is my humble little setup.
We have a Watchguard Firewall at the top, a Qnap NAS along with a Netgear NAS behind he monitor, two Dell 16 port managed gigabit switches, two more NAS's sitting on top of my a clone on the left running VCenter, two Dell Power Edge 2900's, each with two dual core processors, the one on the bottom has 24GB or RAM, 3x1TB drives on a Perc 5i RAID 5, the one on top has 12GB of RAM, 3x2TB drives on a Perc 6i RAID 5 and an LTO3 tape drive, both running ESXi 5, the clone on the right is also running ESXi5 and has 3x500GB RAID 5 and a Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo and 8GB of RAM.

Hello every one, first post in here :)

This is my cool lackrack :)

Spec:
Hp Procurve 1800-24G
Custom pfsense server
(EPIA SN18000G, 2Gb ram,4Gb CF card,Mini-PCI Wifi with external antennes)
Whitebox server running windows 2008 r2 hyper-v
(Quad 2.64Ghz, 8GB 800Mhz DDR2 ECC, 5TB storage)

5378226388_0fe0fb0afa_b.jpg

Some cosmetic upgrade on the firewall
5461016274_7c9d4a762f_z.jpg

5451544760_f8d44cbbab_z.jpg

Where did you get the epic pfsense stickers?

Too much orange. Needs to be Firebox red.

Then sell on eBay as dedicated (and preloaded) pfSense boxes.

Great idea! but kind of hampers you in the rack though man...always having to be on top unless unplugged..:)

@eeeaddict, @saedrin Made it in Photoshop, http://cl.ly/AfA0 zip with the PSD file, the small one fit's a 1U server

@Cerulean, It's red, just a bad cam :) and yes firewalls need to be red :D

@mikeblas, CPU fan, The hole case is custom made, original it was a "Chieftec 1U UNC-110S-B" but sawed it in half, the fan was getting squeezed by the rack top. /cc @dashpuppy

technically not network pics but its our new server room that's being built and there should be a load of new kit shortly so will get some pics when it starts rolling in.

P1000306.jpg

P1000305.jpg

P1000304.jpg

Back