Network pics thread

Pics from a deployment I'm on:
7010-2.png
Shared mode is for suckas.

Shared to the FEXes, dedicated to the UCS. Either way though, oversubscription is acceptable in 95% of networks.

Spyder, nice cleanup job!
I will have to get pics of the job I am working on now. One large office suite being turned into two. Pulled back all the cables for the one half into a new closet area so they can be punched down by the new tenant's data person (if they have one, lol)

FOR CCENT/CCNA studies i use GNS3 and a real lab!

Tzwub.jpg

2620XM
2620XM
2650XM
3550-24-PWR
2950-T-EMI
2950-T-EMI

riqE9.jpg

VM Servers...after I got them I noticed they NEED 220V power...New power drop added lol.

IMG_0805.jpg

IMG_0807.jpg

IMG_0809.jpg

IMG_0811.jpg

IMG_0813.jpg

Installed the VM NICs and Fiber cards.

IMG_0815.jpg

Adding a Dual Quad-Core Intel Xeon with 12GB of memory right now but I'll have 87Ghz, 80GB of RAM in VMware vCenter. Also having the start to my SAN delivered this week. Will post pictures later on.

Woah that's a beast of a server. Too bad they don't make rackmout nuclear reactors, you'll need one lol. What kind of processor and ram in there?

Last edited:
Woah that's a beast of a server. Too bad they don't make rackmout nuclear reactors, you'll need one lol. What kind of processor and ram in there?
Haha I know they are huge lol. Got them both for under 400 bucks tho so im not gona complain. One has 4 Xeon 3.2 GHz procs and 32GB RAM the other has 4 3.0 GHz and 16GB RAM
Are those 6850 x64? Do they have VT?
Welll the procs are x64 and say they have VT but I dont think the bios supports it?? I tried installing Xen and it was no go. Im not really worried everything im running is x86 and if I want to try 2008R2 Ill just dedicate a machine to it.

Haha I know they are huge lol. Got them both for under 400 bucks tho so im not gona complain. One has 4 Xeon 3.2 GHz procs and 32GB RAM the other has 4 3.0 GHz and 16GB RAM

Welll the procs are x64 and say they have VT but I dont think the bios supports it?? I tried installing Xen and it was no go. Im not really worried everything im running is x86 and if I want to try 2008R2 Ill just dedicate a machine to it.

If you need help with any thing with that server let me know :0 just became certified with all dell power edge servers & their new stuff.

Soon to be flown to Chicago for onsite hands on setup & install etc etc training.

Dash

What Xeons are they? Dell has a bad habit of disabling all the virtualization services in their BIOS as the default. You may also want to try a BIOS update.

What Xeons are they? Dell has a bad habit of disabling all the virtualization services in their BIOS as the default. You may also want to try a BIOS update.

HAH! did you copy that from the manual / training ?

this ^ true fact, and they also have a few other options that are disabled

These is my little lab at work [VMware lab]

2x Dell PowerEdge 6850 - 24G RAM each - ESXi hosts
2x Dell PowerEdge SC1420 - SAN
1x Cisco Catalyst 3560

Using StarWind as SAN. VMware ESXi + vCenter.
The 6850 are Xeon 3.33Ghz, i don't remember the exact number of those Xeon. they are x64 without VT.

IMG_0784.JPG

IMG_0785.JPG

IMG_0787.JPG

IMG_0789.JPG

IMG_0788.JPG

IMG_0791.JPG

IMG_0792.JPG

I just looked into it a bit. Looks like they are just the Xeon MP because they arnt DC :mad: I cant find them on Intels site to see if they have VT. Dumb. Oh well.

damn they dont even RMA the dead ones back? I want one :-P

Be careful, if it is indeed a "replacement" i.e RMA from cisco. Cisco will most definitely want their equipment back.

I've actually had a rep from Cisco call me non-stop until the equipment was returned.

I've actually had a rep from Cisco call me non-stop until the equipment was returned.

Haha, that happened to me too. It was for some 6700 blade, which is $$$. I was having trouble getting a maintenance window and those Cisco aholes were hounding the shit out of me.

updated the rack at the house

IMG_20110602_102732.jpg

from top to bottom:

12 port F patch panel for video distribution
48 port patch panel (top is data, bottom is PoE except for the white ones at the end those are for the workbench)
HP 4104GL w/6 port gige module & 20+2 port gige module
Cisco 3750-24 PoE (powers 2 HP 530 Access Points and 9 PoE phones)
HP 420WL access controller pulled out the original flash card and 845 board, replaced it with an Intel Atom and a laptop drive - its running Asterisk for the phones now
Dell R610 2x 80gb 10k 2x 250gb 7.2k & 4 Channel FC PCIe card
Infortrend EonStor 16 SATA>FC disk array (no hard drives in this one at the moment)
Infortrend EonStor 16 SATA>FC disk array (16x 2Tb WD Green drives setup in 2x RAID5 + 2 hotspares so 12Tb x 2 usable)

Client of ours switch died and they wanted to clean up the previous wiring install. Got a 4ft relay rack from Mono Price and some shelves, new Cyberpower battery backup, new dell switch (lifetime warranty).

Only thing I want some advice is on how to control the power cords on the back. Its clean and organized but It could be better. What is a better way to do it?

Top Shelve - Cable modem (Optimum Boost), DSL modem (Verizon), Cisco Static IP Router (from ISP)
Next Shelve - D-Link Gaming Router used for a secondary network for wireless and public access in other building, different static IP. Freedom9 FreeGuard 100 Firewall use for redundant wan and main router. POE adapter is stuffed behind somewhere

Dell PowerConnect 2824, and Cyberpower 550VA Battery Backup

RACK1.JPG

RACK2.JPG

RACK3.JPG

FLECOM, ouch at your electric bill!

not really

the dell draws like 94W...

whats drawing the most power is all the PoE stuff... but thats still <200W

the disk arrays are only on when I need them, otherwise all my documents and important stuff is on the servers local HD's... even then the disk array is like 200W per chassis (why I bought the green drives)

the 4104 does not pull a lot either...

and that HP box with the atom in it draws 35W

that rack is probably pulling ~400W under normal use

and its a pretty large house with 3 guys, so theres 3 PS3's multiple XBox's, tons of TV's, HTPC's and gaming machines that are all hard wired... pretty much just the laptops/phones use the WiFi and even then it was necessary to put the two access points due to coverage issues

not really

the dell draws like 94W...

whats drawing the most power is all the PoE stuff... but thats still <200W

the disk arrays are only on when I need them, otherwise all my documents and important stuff is on the servers local HD's... even then the disk array is like 200W per chassis (why I bought the green drives)

the 4104 does not pull a lot either...

and that HP box with the atom in it draws 35W

that rack is probably pulling ~400W under normal use

and its a pretty large house with 3 guys, so theres 3 PS3's multiple XBox's, tons of TV's, HTPC's and gaming machines that are all hard wired... pretty much just the laptops/phones use the WiFi and even then it was necessary to put the two access points due to coverage issues

NIce ap's I bet they are $$$$

I like the r610 :) Is it a quiet machine ? I'm looking to buy a r310 very soon here.

R310 is very quiet for a 1u, we have a few of them and r210 out and are very quiet. R610 shouldn't be too loud, i have a bunch of T610 and aren't bad compared to other servers. The R900 is a beastly server as well, got one for free from dell ( SAS, loads of memory, dual quad xeons).

I agree, I was impressed by how quiet the R610s are, they rip for a minute at post but settle right down, of course I've only heard them alone during staging outside the datacenter so they may ramp up with some load on them, but once they're in the computer room I couldn't tell you. We've been shipping a lot of T610s as well for clients, and those are desktop quiet, but that's not a huge surprise.

NIce ap's I bet they are $$$$

I like the r610 :) Is it a quiet machine ? I'm looking to buy a r310 very soon here.

actually they are completely worthless... you can get them for like $30 on ebay no idea why... they are PoE and have dual radios (one 802.11b/g, one 802.11a/b/g) have integrated antennas (2.4ghz for Radio 1 and 5Ghz only on radio 2) along with dual RP-SMA connectors per radio (one primary port, and a secondary if you want to do diversity) that you can select in the management...

additionally you can configure the AP's in a "group" so when I make changes to one it sends the config changes to the other AP's in the group

they can do a captive portal in the AP, support WEP, WPA, WPA2 personal and LDAP etc

they are really nice, but I guess since they don't have a Cisco logo, nobody wants them lol

also LIFETIME warranty...

I am a big fan of procurve stuff, easy to manage, setup, install, etc... the only reason I have that Cisco 3750 in the rack is I have to power some Cisco 7960 phones which are pre-standard PoE

I have been thinking of getting one of the 24 port GL 10/100 modules for the modular switch and breaking out the soldering iron, making it into a PoE module... only thing is it would be "stupid" and always have 48vdc, so you have to make sure you don't plug in non-poe stuff or else it may end poorly... its a project for a later date lol

as far as the R610, I was really, really surprised at how quiet it is, its definitely the quietest 1U server I have ever worked with... its in a pretty hot room, and while my poweredge 2900 would regularly ramp up during the day (A/C is set to like 82F) the R610 very rarely ramps up... then again, its not really doing much 99% of the time... I picked it up really, really cheap off craigslist so it retired my Poweredge 2900

its pretty basic, single dual core xeon, but for what I need it to do its fine, and the <100W power draw is nice :D

Last edited:
actually they are completely worthless... you can get them for like $30 on ebay no idea why... they are PoE and have dual radios (one 802.11b/g, one 802.11a/b/g) have integrated antennas (2.4ghz for Radio 1 and 5Ghz only on radio 2) along with dual RP-SMA connectors per radio (one primary port, and a secondary if you want to do diversity) that you can select in the management...

additionally you can configure the AP's in a "group" so when I make changes to one it sends the config changes to the other AP's in the group

they can do a captive portal in the AP, support WEP, WPA, WPA2 personal and LDAP etc

they are really nice, but I guess since they don't have a Cisco logo, nobody wants them lol

also LIFETIME warranty...

I am a big fan of procurve stuff, easy to manage, setup, install, etc... the only reason I have that Cisco 3750 in the rack is I have to power some Cisco 7960 phones which are pre-standard PoE

I have been thinking of getting one of the 24 port GL 10/100 modules for the modular switch and breaking out the soldering iron, making it into a PoE module... only thing is it would be "stupid" and always have 48vdc, so you have to make sure you don't plug in non-poe stuff or else it may end poorly... its a project for a later date lol

as far as the R610, I was really, really surprised at how quiet it is, its definitely the quietest 1U server I have ever worked with... its in a pretty hot room, and while my poweredge 2900 would regularly ramp up during the day (A/C is set to like 82F) the R610 very rarely ramps up... then again, its not really doing much 99% of the time... I picked it up really, really cheap off craigslist so it retired my Poweredge 2900

its pretty basic, single dual core xeon, but for what I need it to do its fine, and the <100W power draw is nice :D

Im looking at the r310, with low ram ill put in my own memory and hard drives and save the $$

Goal is to have a xeon in it with 16 giggs and up ram, and 5 x 500gig hdd's with raid 10.

I know the r210 and r310 are quiet 1u's not like old stuff that was VERY LOUD.

Key why i picked the 310 is because it has 4 drives for more redundancy.

I have a R200 co-located and that is very noisy (not that it matters on the DC floor)

yeah mine has to go in my house in my rack, the 210 and 310 are quiet. They are loud when they boot for about 40 seconds after that they are quiet unless they are under HEAVY load.

Which mine won't be.

Back