Network pics thread

So if i could get a 6506 with the power supplies and one supervisor engine for $45 is it worth it?

For lab sure , for operations the question would be what sup engine :) Just got an offer for a 6504 with 2 subs and PoE 1gb blades and fan tray etc etc 20k Euro new :) (with warrenty package and additional support options9

Racked up a few more 3750 48 port switches to support our new Cisco wireless infrastructure.

d26f630c.jpg

Waiting on the cable installer to come through and terminate the cables.

pretty big wireless infrastructure

That is one out of 22 cabinets that are similar. The initial survey calls for about 520 AP. The building's footprint is 1.1million square feet, and most of it is three levels of product storage.

22 cabinets that are similar to that? pretty wasteful, someone needs to learn the proper dynamics of airflow and hot/cold isle. Perhaps this is why you have all the siemon boxes stuff in between the 3750s? Still, having 22 racks to house less than 10 switches per rack is retarded, but hey.... thats what you get when someone inexperienced does the job.

22 cabinets that are similar to that? pretty wasteful, someone needs to learn the proper dynamics of airflow and hot/cold isle. Perhaps this is why you have all the siemon boxes stuff in between the 3750s? Still, having 22 racks to house less than 10 switches per rack is retarded, but hey.... thats what you get when someone inexperienced does the job.

why so harsh ?

So if i could get a 6506 with the power supplies and one supervisor engine for $45 is it worth it?

What sup and what psu, and does it come with other blades? For that price, it's probably a Sup1 running CATOS. So no, not worth it.

Is it worth what? What's the point? Did you read what everyone has already posted about chassis in a home lab being mostly pointless?

Why do you suddenly feel the need to buy a chassis?

When you are working with over a million squarefeet you have to have intermediate cabinets. Copper runs can't exceed about 300 feet. Some of the fiber runs for the uplinks are well over 1,700 feet...

You can't have more than 9 3750's in a stack, and the cabinets are standalone (only 3750 switches in them). This is not a datacenter. its a warehouse...

The siemon boxes are the patch panels that the installer will be using when they come through.

When you are working with over a million squarefeet you have to have intermediate cabinets. Copper runs can't exceed about 300 feet. Some of the fiber runs for the uplinks are well over 1,700 feet...
Ofcouse you're going to need to implement IDF's, this wasn't my point.

You can't have more than 9 3750's in a stack, and the cabinets are standalone (only 3750 switches in them). This is not a datacenter. its a warehouse...
Again, not my the point I was trying to make.

My point was that it looks like you have cabinets for these switches, which are expensive, and it looks like you only appear to be mounting 5 switches and some patch panels in them. Its wasteful to utilize a 42u(looks to be) rack for 5 access switches, you could have consolidated that isn't a much more [money] efficient half rack.

When I mentioned hot/cold isle design I was referring to switch placement, not the fact that it will or will not be going into a datacenter. Switches should NOT have gaps between them, regardless of where the air-flow is traveling, gaps air flow regardless of front or side cold air intake.

looks like fun stuff though. Are you going to let the WLC do RRM(default) or change it?

Been working on a few projects at work. Figgered I would post some progress pics.

Before:

IMG_0505.jpg

IMG_0791.jpg

Cleaned all these CAT 5 cables out that where not even going to anything in the office. Worst wiring ive ever seen. Patch cables connected to each other by couplers :rolleyes:

NICs for the VM Networking, front end POE switch, fiber NICs and switch for backend SAN.

IMG_0792.jpg

IMG_0794.jpg

MMmmm Ports.

IMG_0797.jpg

IMG_0801.jpg

IMG_0803.jpg

More to arrive today :)

Racked up a few more 3750 48 port switches to support our new Cisco wireless infrastructure.

..clip..

Waiting on the cable installer to come through and terminate the cables.

What will you be using for APs? Also what will be connecting to the wireless? Inventory Handhelds, laptops, phones? Was there no wireless before?

We will be using a combination of 3500e and 3500i Access Point. For the external antenna AP we will have AIR-ANT5140V-R= and AIR-ANT2430V-R= antennas. We will have over 1,100 handheld RF scanners plus about 40 laptops using this network daily. We are also looking into wireless thinclients.

The current RF network is Moto 5100 series controllers and AP300 access points.

Seems we have a cable/ IT area clean up theme going here. I just did a bit of a network upgrade/cable project and ran some new drops at a clients this last weekend in preparation of new equipment that was delivered Tuesday.

Existing rack, failing Dell switch, and just a mess...
photo3nd.jpg

By thespyder at 2011-05-26

New drops being ran. Mid progress.
photo12ta.jpg

Getting better- I must note, the cables were provided by the client, not my choice.
photo5amo.jpg

New drops in the machine shop.
photo4mj.jpg

I tied the shielding together and bonded this end to the rack (earth grounded).
photo10i.jpg

photo9vy.jpg

5 machines in here.
photo11nw.jpg

2 machines here.
photo6tt.jpg

1 of the 2 new machines being delivered.
photo7lt.jpg

One of the 8 new drops.
photo8ax.jpg

Off topic, I have been putting my CCNA lab together. Added a $15 1760 to my 2610/2620 and a $20 2950-12. Oh and a $10 Adtran. Gotta love CL and Goodwill.
photocnm.jpg

If the cables are tested I don't see much wrong with zip tying cables going into the back of a patch panel. There shouldn't be much need to pull one of those out of the bundle or maybe you're doing something wrong. Now cables plugged into the panel yeah I wouldn't ziptie those.

Pics from a deployment I'm on:

As usual, sorry for the (lack of) picture quality.

Hmm looks like my future later this year. Bit of UCS implementation and ground work for nexus infrastructure(damn budget got reduced so only room for UCS :()

Going to be stuck with my trusty 6509's and 6504's for a while :)

Hmm looks like my future later this year. Bit of UCS implementation and ground work for nexus infrastructure(damn budget got reduced so only room for UCS :()

Going to be stuck with my trusty 6509's and 6504's for a while :)

WHAT IS YOUR JOB TITLE?

Yep. They don't call them FEXes though, they're "Fabric Interconnects". I don't touch the 6120s, our "DC" guys do that. They handle the UCS, storage, VMWare, etc. We just do the "network" (though the line is getting pretty blurry).

Yep. They don't call them FEXes though, they're "Fabric Interconnects". I don't touch the 6120s, our "DC" guys do that. They handle the UCS, storage, VMWare, etc. We just do the "network" (though the line is getting pretty blurry).

meh, close enough. We have some at the DR, but i haven't been down there to see it. I'll make sure to take notes when I finally get to play with them ;)

A couple of NG25's waiting for their rack ears, slapped together. One has a HDD and CF + 2GB of RAM for Untangle, the other has 1GB and just a CF for m0n0. :D

IMAG0456.jpg

I spent most of the day on this yesterday. Had to work through relocating a network closet because the power to be want to turn it into an office

@calvinj: So it's a patch panel where the 110IDC terminations and the 8P8C jack are on the same side? Interesting. I could see that being easier to work with than the 89D mount mini patch panels, where one would have to install it backwards, punch down the cables, then flip it over.

Just setup our NOC/Monitoring system, it's still pending software and configuration, etc. But it should be fun. :) I'm going to try to get a beacon to put in my office that lights up when there is a problem. :)

EDIT: I also have the mounts to toss them on the wall later, not sure when I'll feel like that though... :D

Last edited:
@calvinj: So it's a patch panel where the 110IDC terminations and the 8P8C jack are on the same side? Interesting. I could see that being easier to work with than the 89D mount mini patch panels, where one would have to install it backwards, punch down the cables, then flip it over.

http://www.blackbox.com/Store/Detail.aspx/Wallmount-CAT6-Patch-Panel-Universal-Wiring-24-Port/JPM185A%C4%82R2

These are pretty much the same thing we have right now. We have a few more floating around in smaller closets.

Ok, i think my CCNP/CCIE routing lab is complete. Time to get a bunch of switchs ;)

5bd07q.jpg

4x 1721's
2x 2610's
1x 2801
1x 2811
1x 2851
(yes, it helps to know people)

Back