Network pics thread

Oh cool, I thought all raid controllers could only be controlled via bios by taking down the server. I guess it has an ethernet port and has an IP?

Oh cool, I thought all raid controllers could only be controlled via bios by taking down the server. I guess it has an ethernet port and has an IP?

No, this is a Windows box right from the console, it's accessing itself directly. I'm not sure how the Linux version works, but they have one. It looks like it's just Java based, so I don't see why you could not have the GUI and CLI in Linux.

My sort of simple home network. Needs some serious re cabling tho.

Catalyst 4006 series switch. my main backbone for the house.

D510 SFF box. its a single core 2.4 with 1200megs of ram, thats a small server 2003 box which I have converted to a VM. The switch is a 2950 series, Mostly a backup switch/lab gear

The top server is a p4 3ghz w/ 1gb ram. runs windows XP, mainly used for running a second diablo 2 game (Rushing, botting, etc.)
The bottom box is named Terabits, he was built back when a tb of storage was huge. Thats 2x dual core xeons @ 2.4ghz, 4gb of ram, and the 120gb origional disks got replaced with 500gb disks. Now basically an unused box that sits cause it uses so much power.

Last edited:
I wonder what the procedure is for emergency breathing equipment in a CO2-protected zone (same thing with halon or whatever other chemical agent). IIRC, there is a delay before the gas is actually released?

Yes, our last system gave a 30 second warning before the system went off. Exits on both ends of the room. thats 30 seconds to run, or no more oxygen for you.

Some places also put oxygen tanks and masks inside, but thats sort of rare

Mine wasn't cool enough to cause discussion :( lol
Just a regular home network, not much to say about it. It seems remarkable that you use so much wireless, particularly to high-volume devices like the consoles and your printer. I can't stand wireless.

Maybe I'm alone in this, but I think that the posts would be lots more interesting with explanations about what the equipment is being used for. Anybody can have a pile of gear; doing something interesting, useful, or profitable with it is where my curiosity is piqued.

The system we have installed removed I believe 40% or 60% of the oxygen, so if you are in the room the only side effect would be that you will breath deeper.

Just a regular home network, not much to say about it. It seems remarkable that you use so much wireless, particularly to high-volume devices like the consoles and your printer. I can't stand wireless.

Maybe I'm alone in this, but I think that the posts would be lots more interesting with explanations about what the equipment is being used for. Anybody can have a pile of gear; doing something interesting, useful, or profitable with it is where my curiosity is piqued.

Well I live in an apartment, so having data drops isn't possible, nor is running 50ft. Cat5 cables across my floor to my roommates bedroom.

I have my WRT54g set up as an access point in my room, and his WRT54g with DDWRT as a client bridge so he can wire up his pc and Xbox in his room. Yea I agree with you on the explanation. I figured I would let the draw out kind of explain itself :p

Well I live in an apartment, so having data drops isn't possible, nor is running 50ft. Cat5 cables across my floor to my roommates bedroom.

I have my WRT54g set up as an access point in my room, and his WRT54g with DDWRT as a client bridge so he can wire up his pc and Xbox in his room. Yea I agree with you on the explanation. I figured I would let the draw out kind of explain itself :p
Why not tuck the cables under the baseboard?

The drawing doesn't explain anything -- it just shows equipment. It doesn't tell us why you used only wireless, how you managed to build such a large network without a switch, or why you chose the components you did. Do they work well, do they suck? Why not different models or vendors? How's your perf?

Why not tuck the cables under the baseboard?

The drawing doesn't explain anything -- it just shows equipment. It doesn't tell us why you used only wireless, how you managed to build such a large network without a switch, or why you chose the components you did. Do they work well, do they suck? Why not different models or vendors? How's your perf?

If you want to come to my place to run Cat5 for a single xbox 360, be my guest.

lots of talking (genmay worthy, woohoo!) no pix for the last few posts. so to attempt a complete derail:
here's my office switch:
img8224v.jpg

'Expenses', of course, being a euphemism for lots of coke and hookers.

I prefer booze and hookers - guess I'm not as awesome. :eek:

But speaking of awesome, I need to find myself a breadra.... I mean er... a super fancy metal shelf this week. Off to the hardware tomorrow, but I'm hoping to find one like this to store tower servers on:

lots of talking (genmay worthy, woohoo!) no pix for the last few posts. so to attempt a complete derail:
here's my office switch:
<snipped picture>

Netgear does make good unmanaged switches. I have a little 5 port 10/100 that makes for a good quick 'problem solver'. It's rather dirty by now, as it has been in all kinds of conditions (indoor use only, HAH).

However, my experience with the big brother of that switch - the GS108T - not so good.

Netgear does make good unmanaged switches. I have a little 5 port 10/100 that makes for a good quick 'problem solver'. It's rather dirty by now, as it has been in all kinds of conditions (indoor use only, HAH).

However, my experience with the big brother of that switch - the GS108T - not so good.

I have a few also, keep them for spare & handy for playing with...

have had a few computers not want to use a gigabit switch so i use a 10/100 connected between the 2 and all is good. DAM fussy nic's

Buddy of mine has a pretty crazy home network/lab that hes been building. Asked him if i could post it up on here... soooo here ya go
5735191054_9333912035_b.jpg

left rack contains his SAN, older one not sure on the details of it. cat 6500 on the floor he just scored today for like 100 bucks he said.

Middle rack contains his production network, 6500 as core(obviously), dell blade servers that run his network functions (IE DHCP, exchange, etc), 2821 which runs CME, ASA5510 or 20, never can remember which it was he got. everything above it i'm not sure whats its purpose is LOL. and the 6500's on the floor + everything in right rack is his home lab for CCIE study.

I can only imagine that whatever area is getting their power from hydro, coal, or nuclear generation.

However, if the guy has that kind of coin to spend - I think those 6509's have switch fabric mods in them - then a few thousand a year in electricity likely isn't a big deal.

Bloody Hell!

he must have a 63AMP breaker in there!

This can't be just for home?

Everyone stop posting and take a minute and bow down to the awesomeness that is mikeblas.
\o/

However, if the guy has that kind of coin to spend - I think those 6509's have switch fabric mods in them - then a few thousand a year in electricity likely isn't a big deal.
This is why I think explaining the purpose of the equipment is important. It's a big set of racks. Might be in the basement of a small office building, might be in someone's house. A small installation like that might be capable of generating lots of money, which makes the apparent outlay negligible compared to the income it generates. OTOH, if it's some silly "lab" for home, then it's most likely a waste of money -- unless the equipment was obtained for free or at a great discount.

Knowing the back story breathes context into the pictures.

I can only imagine that whatever area is getting their power from hydro, coal, or nuclear generation.

SFMs are pretty cheap on Ebay. Sup2s aren't too bad either.

Power would be a nightmare for all that stuff. Sick lab though.

Back