Network pics thread

RJ-21 is a nice way to connect 25 phone lines at a time. Shortel voice switch is nifty stuff. Can terminate a bunch of analogs, handle VoIP traffic, hell, the -V models can do voicemail on board.

How much are they, I've never been able to find any information about how much the stuff actually costs.

List price on the 50 switch is $1995, 90 switch is $2995, T1k is $3495 - not sure on any of the other hardware.

What rocks are the little things which remind you what designing and having your own network really means to be proud :)

Love the 3com stack :)

darrenster, 2 parts come to mind, "sweet more patching and term points"..."ah frick....more patching and term points." lol

Lightstar, why so many switches? What are they all for?

Workstation 1 2cables gigabit
Workatation 2 2cables gigabit
Nas 1 2cables gigabit
Nas 2 2cables gigabit
Network printer 100mbit
3 3com storage servers 100mbit
3 ip cams (still have to install them) (we own a Maine Coon Cattery so in some rooms i need it) 100mbit

Total 15 ports, the only problem i have not enough gigabit ports :p so i'm looking for a second gigabit switch

Last edited:
Complaining about cable terminations??

IMG_20101105_075003.jpg

IMG_20101109_123419.jpg

This is only a small sample of what I get to do... :)

Looks like the work I used to do before moving to Telecom.

My last project was for ACS Dataline(now Black Box Austin) building Dell's Eastgate MFG network in Tenn. When I finished the Datacenter (4 x 7ft relay racks, top to bottom with patch panels, dressed like what you have there.), I had to test and QC the Laptop burn-in racks, some 1500 RJ45's, and had to re-do 600 of them. They used AMP crimp tools, so not sure how they screwed it up.

All in all, it was 6 weeks living in a Shoney's motel, working 6x12's, and a 6 on sunday. Mucho Dinero, but by the time I was done, it wasn't about "getting to do it" anymore. Inside plant commercial/industrial gets old after awhile, but then, so did CO work and Outside plant. I like Service Provider work. Monitoring and Provisioning from a desk is much more relaxed and easier in many ways. My cables are 50km long now, and I don't ever get to see them now, but I don't miss it much.

I can still appreciate a nicely dressed IDF/Rack though. Nice work.

My ugly rack has grown. Added some 1700's to it for about $10 a pop with WIC-1 T's. The first 3550 multi-layer switch should be here tomorrow, and an Epson Projector, I picked up for $150 to be a new iRacing display.

For those that care, I have a Kill-a-Watt hooked up to it and the lab as it sits with 9 routers and a switch powered up runs about 150watts. I think it would run me about $7-8 bucks to run it non-stop all month.

2011-03-23%2018.53.56.jpg

Last edited:
New toys came in this morning:

3 new IBM blades, dual 3.0GHz quad cores w/ 32GB RAM, dual SSDs and 4Gb Qlogic fibre HBAs
2011-03-25101238.jpg

RAM upgrade for some existing ESX hosts (48GB)
2011-03-25101307.jpg

friday friday friday, new hardware new hardware yeah!

New toys came in this morning:

friday friday friday, new hardware new hardware yeah!

I love those kind of Friday's. Except my new esx boxes came in Wednesday. On a Friday note my San shipped today. Should be here Wednesday!

Stuff is cheap if you keep your ear out and stuff :)

I've been scrounging and finding parts on fleabay, about to get a 40" rack for home and all my junk :)

Im in if you can spare some of that cisco hardware!

SAN's im good lol but Red Squirrel how much was your hydro bill? mine is 225...

Last edited:
Ouch mine was not that bad. Mine was $175ish - which I only have to pay about $100 as I'm on equal billing. But normally it ends up being about $100 of actual usage, so it jumped quite a bit. Mind you, I also had my garage crawlspace insulated and I left a 4800w heater on in there for a few days to prep for the job, that may possibly be part of the extra usage. I'll see after this month to see what the bill comes up to. They also keep raising prices and playing with the billing schemes so it's really hard to tell what the main factors are.

all this power talk, i pay about 35$ a month and i have all my equipment running

42" lcd hd tv
2 power amplifiers
2 class a amplifiers always on

one quad core server on 24/7 ( 6 hard drives inside )
my desktop core2 duo
3 lcd's 19"
my untanlge box always on doing nothing
2 24 port switches 1 gbit 1 10/100
sonicwall tz210
3 poe adapters
2 laptops always plugged in and charging
3 nas drives
windows 2008r2 iscsi box running a dual core 3.0

all this stuff never turns off, and 35$ month MAx for me..

humm..

Wow you must get pretty good rates!

One project I seriously want to look into later on is a DIY wind turbine though. Like, if I could generate 1kw or so, I'd be happy. It would at least cover all my equipment + more. I'd need to built a tower and battery shed for that though, so I have to weigh in if it's worth it or not.

Project im working on is near completion. Client moved yesterday and we finished up the server room today... sorta. Still have a FEW more things to do but relay rack is basically done

188928_1677019480757_1095570040_31533307_5245712_n.jpg

Hey dashpuppy, you're in Canada are you not? Which province do you live in, just curious. I know we have pretty cheap hydro rates here in BC.

I know its Not directed at me, but Im in Calgary...don't move to Calgary! I BEG of you all do not move here Enmax jacks everyone...

Where r u Jesse ?

I'm in Delta right now. Hopefully getting a place in Burnaby this summer. Lower Mainland is also a lovely place (but way too damn expensive) :D

I know its Not directed at me, but Im in Calgary...don't move to Calgary! I BEG of you all do not move here Enmax jacks everyone...

Dad lives in Airdrie, spent quite a bit of time in both cities. Calgary is fun to visit, not sure I'd ever want to live there though.

Isnt this the networking pics thread??? If you canuks wanna hold each other and feel the love why dontcha go to a hockey game or whatever it is you northerners do :)

It's a web filter 310 - new

They had two one for each location

This one died and for like 300 they sent us a new one

Buildings just merged onto one network so it just so happens a month ago the 2nd died so we never bothered to replace it since we can use one now

So I have another 310 that needs a new hard drive might pay to fix and resell

Heh, speaking of Hydro bill, my dad got his last week, $1100! (they finally came by to read his meter, he had been heating his garage with an electric furnace all winter, hit him all in one month)

Anyway, MOAR pics!

8 x "cheap patch" 2U horizontal cable management (the deep surplus ones)
2011-03-28085449.jpg

4x 6' vertical cable management
2011-03-28085400.jpg

Finally picked up a replacement face plate for our AX150i. Sorry for the crappy image quality.

Anybody got pics of a relay rack that has a chassis switch in it? I see the ones that are patch panel - switch - switch - patch panel - switch - switch - patch panel but how do you neatly cable the chassis switches... from the sides?

I am going to have a new Cisco Catalyst 4506-E with 144 ports and I don't know the best way to do cable management since there is no space in between for patch panels. The patch panels will all be at the top of the two post rack and my switch will be further down. If anyone has suggestions, I am all ears!

Last edited:
I don't understand how people can even do work like that. I wouldn't know which cable was which in all that mess.

I don't understand how people can even do work like that. I wouldn't know which cable was which in all that mess.

You really don't know what cable is what you just pull and pray. Kind of like the plug and pray from the windows 95/98 days

No kidding.. My daily work log (if I had to keep one, that is) would read..

9:00am - Employee PC lost network connectivity
9:15am - Determined faulty network cable
9:20am - Begin replacing cable
5:00pm - Finished replacing cable.. It was the yellow one..

^ lol

Yeah even here at my home I still prefer to label things or at least have it neat and organized. 5 minutes here or XX minutes then.

Anybody got pics of a relay rack that has a chassis switch in it? I see the ones that are patch panel - switch - switch - patch panel - switch - switch - patch panel but how do you neatly cable the chassis switches... from the sides?

Not great, but it was alright, here's one form a previous employer. Catalyst 4510R

IMG00074-1.jpg

Back