Network pics thread

Is that one of those remote power on/off units controllable via a web interface?

These are not the ones that have switched ports. Those would have wound up being like 800 a PDU. I didn't need the switched ports that bad as the data center is right below my desk (less than 100 ft walk to get there)

Can we get a model number or something? I foresee one of those in the up and coming rack soon.

PDUMNV20

Link To PDU

At our office, a Sonicwall 2400,

Nanaimo-20110316-00268.jpg

The drives are our cloned drives on the shelf, every customers computer that comes in gets cloned and dated for 1-2 weeks..

That's what I'm saying, at my old job we had a crap fileserver with a couple of big drives in raid0, we would run ghost and backup the client's data to the server and it ran a nightly batch script to delete any images older than 30 days, so the customers knew they had 30 days to report any missing files or problems, and we could restore from their image.

That's what I'm saying, at my old job we had a crap fileserver with a couple of big drives in raid0, we would run ghost and backup the client's data to the server and it ran a nightly batch script to delete any images older than 30 days, so the customers knew they had 30 days to report any missing files or problems, and we could restore from their image.

that might work, but that doesn't work for when im on site. Some times customers call back a week later and say I just need that one file / folder etc etc, I can either burn to a disc, OR I take the drive back to their house and just copy it over.

Another reason why I clone them is because it allows me to nuke and pave the drive and get going asap, and the data is ALLL backed up.

Been using this method for 3 years works great :)

yeah dash that seems like a waste cause then the drives aren't new and cant be sold as new

what i do is backup the drives to our file server with raid 5, or I make an acronis image of it. mostly been using syncback to backup the drives and then do the work.

but I guess whatever works.

dash it seems like you left untangle now for sonicwall?

yeah dash that seems like a waste cause then the drives aren't new and cant be sold as new

what i do is backup the drives to our file server with raid 5, or I make an acronis image of it. mostly been using syncback to backup the drives and then do the work.

but I guess whatever works.

dash it seems like you left untangle now for sonicwall?

Drives will never be sold at all, they are used for customer cloning that's it.

Im not using Untangle at the moment at all, for now im using a Tz210 fully licensed free from my work, I thought I would give it a try and at-least learn it so I can sell them and make money at work instead of bashing them.

Mines working great.. The tz100's are garbage tho, i hated that wireless unit POS.

Same thing we do at my job, except with Ghost. We run through too many customers to have a drive for them each to last longer than a day. Easier to just make .gho files, verify them, store them. Do full disk restores if needed or get a file with Ghost Explorer.

Same thing we do at my job, except with Ghost. We run through too many customers to have a drive for them each to last longer than a day. Easier to just make .gho files, verify them, store them. Do full disk restores if needed or get a file with Ghost Explorer.

does that ghost it over a network or do you take the drive out of the machine and put it into another one ? and do this....

does that ghost it over a network or do you take the drive out of the machine and put it into another one ? and do this....

Depends on time constraints of getting the computer back. We have some Thermaltake external docks plugged into the server that we can drop drives into and Ghost them faster by doing them locally on the file server. It's easiest though for us to setup a Ghostcast session and boot the machine off a flash drive with Ghost on it and make a disk image over the network. Just boot from the flash drive, give the session info, select the disk, and off it goes.

That is what I do. I think it works easier. Even if you have to have to go out to a client just copy the .gho folders onto a spare drive and use ghost explorer on your laptop

How long does thr ghost image take? Using syncback or acronis can take some time, usually not an issue since I can with on other things.

W keeep the files for a month then delete.

How long does thr ghost image take? Using syncback or acronis can take some time, usually not an issue since I can with on other things.

The machines I work on are both university employee's personal and work machines and student's personal machines. A typical student's laptop with all their music and pictures and other space consuming stuff typically takes 2 hours to do a full drive image with Ghost. That's with a properly working drive though, if we are backing up a dying drive that is already seeing issues it can easily take 5 hours to 20. Had one take 156 hours before because of so many damaged drive blocks.

I'm on a gigabit connection so I may be a bit skewed but I can do 30-40 gigs in about 30 minutes.

haha......... it seems that way... kinda cool that the forum "family" is so close..... with lil' dash at the bottom :p

hah, I like dash.

but it is funny that we all mess around like we are local friends

<3 Big Ol' Family.

What's everyone's take on acronis as a ghost equivalent? I've got a bootable ISO for it that works pretty good imaging a machine. Anyone have something similar and know how it compares to ghost?

Also, How does ghost deal with bad hardware, Someone said it took 156 hours to do a machine with a ton of bad blocks. I think the acronis iso I have will just throw an error, Does ghost have someway of correcting for this?

<3 Big Ol' Family.

What's everyone's take on acronis as a ghost equivalent? I've got a bootable ISO for it that works pretty good imaging a machine. Anyone have something similar and know how it compares to ghost?

Also, How does ghost deal with bad hardware, Someone said it took 156 hours to do a machine with a ton of bad blocks. I think the acronis iso I have will just throw an error, Does ghost have someway of correcting for this?

I use true image, works nice. Don't image much anymore just doing raw files on new computers

I'm probably older than you LOL

Probably without a doubt. I probably have a more diverse and extensive knowledge of computer related knowledge. Age doesn't mean much in this industry. SNAP:)p) It's all in good fun though. I've got nothing against you and I can't complain with your desire to learn, I have the same.

Probably without a doubt. I probably have a more diverse and extensive knowledge of computer related knowledge. Age doesn't mean much in this industry. SNAP:)p) It's all in good fun though. I've got nothing against you and I can't complain with your desire to learn, I have the same.

Started in 98, been doing it since then, printers & MFP's was my area, building computers and researching out products was my other area.

Started in 98, been doing it since then, printers & MFP's was my area, building computers and researching out products was my other area.

Started in '98, as well, programming dynamic websites, moved on to object oriented programming with C++ and such, then computer repair, then Windows servers, then Active Directory, then networking, then unix servers, then VOIP/telephony, and most recently would be virtualization. I've got a few hundred computer books on all the topics. I like to read and toy around. I'm 20, but I've got a good 13/14 years of experience. 8 of it in the work field. I can fix most copier jams and install printer drivers but that's about all I know about printers. Maybe I should pick up some books on them?

Oh, and pics coming soon. To stay OT.

Last edited:
Started in '98, as well, programming dynamic websites, moved on to object oriented programming with C++ and such, then computer repair, then Windows servers, then Active Directory, then networking, then unix servers, then VOIP/telephony, and most recently would be virtualization. I've got a few hundred computer books on all the topics. I like to read and toy around. I'm 20, but I've got a good 13/14 years of experience. 8 of it in the work field. I can fix most copier jams and install printer drivers but that's about all I know about printers. Maybe I should pick up some books on them?

Oh, and pics coming soon. To stay OT.

books wont help with that, you have to be mechanically inclined, lexmark gave me a plaque for fixing a optra t series with out a manual :) for me it was easy.

books wont help with that, you have to be mechanically inclined, lexmark gave me a plaque for fixing a optra t series with out a manual :) for me it was easy.

So many people can't even follow simple instructions these days... Where I (and im sure most of us) can pickup pretty much any Electronic or Mechanical (or anything that requires problem solving/common sense) thing and make it work. The general population just seems to be extremely stupid these days... Maybe its just me.

So many people can't even follow simple instructions these days... Where I (and im sure most of us) can pickup pretty much any Electronic or Mechanical (or anything that requires problem solving/common sense) thing and make it work. The general population just seems to be extremely stupid these days... Maybe its just me.

Thats where i am handy, I don't need manuals to take a large mfp or something complex like that apart to fix etc etc.

Here is a pic of me tearing down a printer that some one took the fusser out, but didn't insert it back in all the way turned on the printer, it did it's test then stripped the main gear. 2$ gear but fun to replace when it's all the way inside berried on the main plate.

hp.jpg

Here is a pic of me tearing down a printer that some one took the fusser out, but didn't insert it back in all the way turned on the printer, it did it's test then stripped the main gear. 2$ gear but fun to replace when it's all the way inside berried on the main plate.

hp.jpg

Yeah, I'd be all over that. Things like that are fun to do when you have nothing else better.

No. It's how I feel every time I go out in public. Especially Wal-mart. I just don't see how some people are unable to do some of the simplest things to me.

Some of my stuff in my room I took a few pictures of.
My desk
7fBf1.jpg

A7CXt.jpg

02nik.jpg

I just use a Dell e6500 with a Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 500GB as my primary machine with two 23" Acer's. Got a Macbook and another Dell e6500.

43MEC.jpg

I just keep a 32" HDTV connected to a Sony BD player, Xbox 360, and a Mac Mini(Core 2 Duo, 2Ghz, 4GB, 500GB) running Windows 7 Media Center for tv.

hPOAG.jpg

VuhQb.jpg

5XPI7.jpg

Two new servers that I got recently.
Top:
Intel Core i7-960 3.2Ghz Quad
24GB DDR3
2x1TB in RAID1
ESXi 4.1

Bottom:
Intel Core i7-950 3.0Ghz Quad
8GB DDR3
6x2TB in RAID5
ESXi 4.1

I have been setting up everything and getting it ready to put in my cabinet but I am holding off because I'm in the process of relocating my cabinet. The HP switch there is a spare HP J9449A#ABA of mine, managed gigabit.

Pics of my cabinet and other gear when I finish moving the cabinet.

Last edited:
Back