Network pics thread

Good ol re-branded Nortel Dell switches....Worse, try this Nortel's Stupid reverse pinout on every damn switch...2 cisco console cables and a rj45 coupler and your good to go though :) at least not on a dell though..

You mean SMC?

Yes, but the reason I call them re branded Nortel switches is because they used to use a horrid web GUI like many of Nortel switches..

Looks like those NIC's were a bad idea... the linux drivers wont compile and none of the xp drivers work >_<

Looks like those NIC's were a bad idea... the linux drivers wont compile and none of the xp drivers work >_<
Don't cheap out on nics for that very reason. The stance around here is go intel for NICs or go home. They simply make the best NICs. It's as simple as drop the NIC into your PCI slot and go. Most OSes have drivers for all but the newest intel nics. And even then the drivers are easy to get a hold of.

I take if from the pic you're looking for a gigabit PCI card?
If so you can get some 10/100/1000 intel NICs from ebay and other sites for well below $20. I saw quite a few for around $10 "buy it now" on ebay.
Link to the one I would recommend (same card two different sellers):
http://cgi.ebay.com/Intel-PWLA8391G...453?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c14edce4d
http://cgi.ebay.com/Intel-PWLA8391G...579?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item230c36c9e3

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Finally got something to put Pfsense on.
broken screen laptop off craigslist: $50
PCMCIA D-Link NIC: $6

I was really hoping that the docking station would work as the second NIC but when you drop it in the built in NIC gets blocked off.

Thats done intentionally as the ports connect to the same actual IC. The docking station for dells are mostly port re-directors not port replicators.

Don't cheap out on nics for that very reason. The stance around here is go intel for NICs or go home. They simply make the best NICs. It's as simple as drop the NIC into your PCI slot and go. Most OSes have drivers for all but the newest intel nics. And even then the drivers are easy to get a hold of.

I take if from the pic you're looking for a gigabit PCI card?
If so you can get some 10/100/1000 intel NICs from ebay and other sites for well below $20. I saw quite a few for around $10 "buy it now" on ebay.
Link to the one I would recommend (same card two different sellers):
http://cgi.ebay.com/Intel-PWLA8391G...453?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c14edce4d
http://cgi.ebay.com/Intel-PWLA8391G...579?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item230c36c9e3
One word of caution on this: A couple of years ago I bought two Intel GT1000 NICs on eBay and was having a little difficulty with them. They would drop off the network randomly and when I would reboot I would sometimes have to reinstall the drivers as my PC would see them as 'new' components. I contacted Intel Tech Support and they had me run a couple of specific tests which both cards failed. They then had me send a high-res scanned image of one of the NICs and they confirmed that they were counterfeit. Their in-house anti-counterfeiting folks called me and wanted all of the details concerning the purchase along with email addresses and names if I had them. In exchange they sent me two genuine NICs straight from Intel. I'm still using both of them today. I agree that the genuine ones are awesome!

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
One word of caution on this: I couple of years ago I bought two Intel GT1000 NICs on eBay and was having a little difficulty with them. They would drop off the network randomly and when I would reboot I would sometimes have to reinstall the drivers, my PC would see them as 'new' components. I contacted Intel Tech Support and they had me run a couple of specific tests which both cards failed. They then had me send a high-res scanned image of one of the NICs and they confirmed that they were counterfeit. Their in-house anti-counterfeiting folks called me and wanted all of the details concerning the purchase along with email addresses and names if I had them. In exchange they sent me two genuine NICs straight from Intel. I'm still using both of them today. I agree that the genuine ones are awesome!
Wow, that's news to me. In that case the one in the second link looks more legitimate. The one in my first link might be okay, but packed in bubble wrap and not in a sealed retail box is slightly suspect. That and the second guy has ALOT more sales, granted that doesn't mean much in the ebay world. But it does at least say that he's been selling on the bay for a while.

network12-4-2010.jpg

Current state of the ever changing/growing network. Minus the two san headends (1750's) and the two 1u supermicro's, everything is a virtual host.

nacho, what kind of heat is all that putting out? temps of the room/closet? o.o

I saw the laundry hookups on the wall and was surprised that you were not utilizing the high-amp dryer outlet for all of your gear! ;-)

That is to happen after the new year, getting several 3000+ kva ups's and will be taking advantage of said circuit.

It's a work in progress, isn't all projects? heh

well I spent all the money I had for upgrades... only had 20 left after the switches... had to get the Cheap cards

Nacho, looks really good, how come it's all on the floor tho ? those beast must pull in lots of dust and dirt ?

j'

well I spent all the money I had for upgrades... only had 20 left after the switches... had to get the Cheap cards

Yikes, tight budget... still, send the crappy ones back and get a couple intel nics until you can buy more. It might be a bit more price wise, but in the long run you'll be much happier.
A network is only as good as it's weakest link.

Im only 16 and dont have time to get a job... make money via neighbors. Im fine with these now that I figure out how to get them working

Ahh I remember those times well. Only been about 10 or so years ago for me, so I can relate.
How did you get them working?

Nacho, looks really good, how come it's all on the floor tho ? those beast must pull in lots of dust and dirt ?

j'

The doors are usually shut, so it isn't as bad as you'd think.

I'm putting a baker's rack in there in a few weeks as well.

Well I still cant get the linux drivers to compile, but the windows ones I tried a few different ones and got one to work.

More stuff for the home, sorry about the crappy pics.

My 8 port switch was onto its second fan replacment and I though it was time to replace the

Last edited:
Tell me how you like those waps. Considering getting a few of them next year at work

I install tons of those Cisco Units, primary the WRVS4400N and the WRVS4000. I really like them and never have any problems with them.

J

I have been using the D-Link DAP-2553 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...3127268&cm_re=DAP-2553-_-33-127-268-_-Product

How does that Cisco one combine?

The WRVS4400N is very nice, easy to setup and i have 3 of them connected all together as a office vpn, hasn't had any hiccups at all, still connected after 4 months, working great too!

If i had it my way, i would have put a untangle unit on every location with just wireless access points but then that would be an exact copy of my house setup :p

Tell me how you like those waps. Considering getting a few of them next year at work

If you have anyone using UMA on T-Mobille then don'r use them they have issues with IPSec passthrough and UMA will not work. Apart from that they are fine

Hmmmm, looks somewhat familiar.....

My new switch:

TIM_1069_small.jpg

Yup, mine is a rev B with no fan. Really nice bit of kit.

Well the move is nearly complete and I have my rack fully installed. Still have a few boxes left to unpack though.

As you recall I started with this:
IMAG0208_small.jpg

Now it is looking much better. The mystery 'Darth' shot:
P1000901_sltcrop_resize.jpg

Lights back on:
P1000904_resize.jpg

HP 1810G-24, D-Link DGL-4100, WAP54G (hacked), SB6120, Sprint Airave, ReadyNAS Pro, APC UPS with AP9619, Middle Atlantic Rack with perforated locking steel door, DIY cables:
P1000908_resize.jpg

Clean!
P1000914_resize.jpg

12 Port Cat5e + 3 drops from Dish Network 1000 + 1 drop from OTA antenna:
P1000918_resize.jpg

Homemade cable tray using zip ties and stick-on zip tie holders. Used 2 pieces of PVC to have hidden access below the shelf for cabling. Cables loosely bundled using double-sided velcro:
P1000922_resize.jpg

dscf0437s.jpg

Still running IPCOP, its getting boring.

Total fucking mess, but I've gone fanless w/ the PSU, and its outgrown the case. The fan is unplugged since a bushing or bearing is shot and its making some scratchy noises. However I've not had the pleasure of running a totally fanless setup before so its doing a fine job!

Back